Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Show us your Vintage Touring bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=319254)

Cycle Tourist 02-08-21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by casanewt (Post 21915341)
Not as nice? That thing is gorgeous!

Aw. Thanks. I think I suffer from a inferiority complex because of the centerpull brakes and the straight gauge tubes. I've always found the centerpull brakes to work just fine and the straight gauge tubing works better for me on tall frames when fully loaded, still though.😀

The Golden Boy 02-08-21 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist (Post 21914662)
I had spenco brake lever covers on my first Univega touring bike. Here's a earlier 610, '62 I think. Not as nice as the '65 pictured earlier.

Do you mean 82 and 85? :D

Prowler 02-16-21 02:11 PM

Road worthy again

This is the bike I've used for the GAP, the Pine Creek and several other lovely rides. Twice packed like a mule and several times running free. Last summer on the Pine Creek trail it rained over night and this old thing looked pretty sad the next morning. Paint a bit milky looking and bits of rust here and there. Time to do something better than when I first rehab'd it. So last October I took it all apart, all the way down. I cleaned the f/f real well, cleaned off any rust then set to coating it. I decided, since I had the stuff and had all winter, I'd apply numerous very thin coats of boiled linseed oil (aka BLO). I cannot recommend this to most people as most would just want to get the job done. I didn't care. Had all winter so did 2 or 3 film coats a week, every week on into December. No idea how many. None of the coats took much time. I did thin the BLO with about 20% mineral spirits which speeded the drying of each coat. I then hung it in the garage for another month.

The paint looks much nicer now, deeper color while preserving all the nicks and scratches of 25 years serving mankind. BLO has a long history as the base for paint and I've seen good durability on other outdoor usage. Now its fully re-assembled. I had the rear fender but recently fabricated the F fender (saved from the dump). Used contact cement to re-fix edges of the saddle cover that had come loose. Various other wee things that need attention. In the dead of winter I can afford to be pretty picky.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d46754dd8e.jpg

It's been here before but I thought the Voyageur fans might like to see the latest config. Now to await the end of the recent "snow train" and the arrival of spring.

squarenoise 02-16-21 04:50 PM

I just posted this in the Miyata 1000 thread with more details, but figured I'd share here as well.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4e77199520.jpg

eom 02-16-21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by squarenoise (Post 21927116)
I just posted this in the Miyata 1000 thread with more details, but figured I'd share here as well.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4e77199520.jpg

That is sweet.

The Golden Boy 02-16-21 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by squarenoise (Post 21927116)

Really great job! Super classy lookin' bike!

Kobe 02-17-21 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 21926850)
This is the bike I've used for the GAP, the Pine Creek and several other lovely rides. Twice packed like a mule and several times running free. Last summer on the Pine Creek trail it rained over night and this old thing looked pretty sad the next morning. Paint a bit milky looking and bits of rust here and there. Time to do something better than when I first rehab'd it. So last October I took it all apart, all the way down. I cleaned the f/f real well, cleaned off any rust then set to coating it. I decided, since I had the stuff and had all winter, I'd apply numerous very thin coats of boiled linseed oil (aka BLO). I cannot recommend this to most people as most would just want to get the job done. I didn't care. Had all winter so did 2 or 3 film coats a week, every week on into December. No idea how many. None of the coats took much time. I did thin the BLO with about 20% mineral spirits which speeded the drying of each coat. I then hung it in the garage for another month.

The paint looks much nicer now, deeper color while preserving all the nicks and scratches of 25 years serving mankind. BLO has a long history as the base for paint and I've seen good durability on other outdoor usage. Now its fully re-assembled. I had the rear fender but recently fabricated the F fender (saved from the dump). Used contact cement to re-fix edges of the saddle cover that had come loose. Various other wee things that need attention. In the dead of winter I can afford to be pretty picky.

It's been here before but I thought the Voyageur fans might like to see the latest config. Now to await the end of the recent "snow train" and the arrival of spring.

First think that jumps out at me when I look at this is, look at that great fender line!

Het Volk 02-17-21 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ctak (Post 21898404)
Recently sold my 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15, but have an album to remember it by: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTX9UXw

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f0a4eba058.jpg
Pro Tour 15

Why would you sell that?

Also - the lacing on those wheels seems less loaded touring oriented and more racing oriented.

ctak 02-17-21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Het Volk (Post 21928196)
Why would you sell that?

Also - the lacing on those wheels seems less loaded touring oriented and more racing oriented.

I used this sporty thing mostly for "spirited" 40-70 mile efforts over mixed surfaces with areas of dilapidated asphalt, for which the longer chainstays and relatively flexy .9/.6/.9mm tubeset helped to smooth things out. For multi-day loaded touring, I'd probably look for something heavier duty with 45-50mm tire clearances and, as you pointed out, a proper wheelset.

The frame was a little small for me, unfortunately. I've since moved up to 24"/61cm.

polymorphself 02-17-21 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ctak (Post 21928869)
IFor multi-day loaded touring, I'd probably look for something heavier duty with 45-50mm tire clearances l

Assuming lots of gravel or you just prefer that size tire for loaded touring?

ctak 02-18-21 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 21929000)
Assuming lots of gravel or you just prefer that size tire for loaded touring?

I just prefer a wider tire for carrying 40-lbs of gear for days on end along highway and back-road shoulders. Not to say that 38mm Schwalbe Marathons on a Pro Tour with the right rims (or Voyageur ;)) wouldn't make the grade..

Germany_chris 02-18-21 01:22 PM

Some Changes

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3d56db0ad7.jpg

bwilli88 02-19-21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 21930127)

How do you keep that tape on the top tube?

Germany_chris 02-19-21 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by bwilli88 (Post 21930940)
How do you keep that tape on the top tube?

Shellac and twine

The Golden Boy 02-19-21 07:10 AM

That looks really nice- what is your gearing front/rear?

Germany_chris 02-19-21 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 21931068)
That looks really nice- what is your gearing front/rear?

24/36 and 11-34

I just recently did the chainring swap 22/34/44 wasn't working 34 was too small for daily use and 22 was just too small. I'll find out this weekend if I like the 24 if not I'll head back to Amazon for a 26

Cycle Tourist 03-14-21 09:44 PM

Boy, If that's not the best looking, unbreakable touring bike I've ever seen, I don't know what is! If your goal was perfection with a touch of personality, I'd say you made it.

Cycle Tourist 03-14-21 10:03 PM

That's full on vintage. Love those old 'dales. I was so envious of anyone that owned one. Thanks

Cycle Tourist 03-14-21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbiano (Post 21901422)
A touring bike is a fairly specific type of bike. However, you could tour on any bike, if you wanted to. But is any bike a touring bike? I don't think so. Is a racing bike a touring bike? You could tour on it. Is a touring bike a racing bike? You could race it.

Age old argument. Yeah, a racing bike could be turned into a tolerable touring bike. I'd be a stupid thing to do of course. Anyone could pick up a nearly free japanese frame suitable for rebuilding into into a good touring bike.
My point was only, as you suggested, that you can use any bike for touring. I've seen some very unlikely bikes used for touring successfully. They have one thing in common. They're rugged. The posters hybrid makes a good start in putting together a nice touring bike. Those bars would never work for me. My butt would never support my body without a little more help from my hands. 😅😅

Germany_chris 03-15-21 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist (Post 21967654)
Boy, If that's not the best looking, unbreakable touring bike I've ever seen, I don't know what is! If your goal was perfection with a touch of personality, I'd say you made it.

Thank you

Hobbiano 03-15-21 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist (Post 21967684)
Age old argument. Yeah, a racing bike could be turned into a tolerable touring bike. I'd be a stupid thing to do of course. Anyone could pick up a nearly free japanese frame suitable for rebuilding into into a good touring bike.
My point was only, as you suggested, that you can use any bike for touring. I've seen some very unlikely bikes used for touring successfully. They have one thing in common. They're rugged. The posters hybrid makes a good start in putting together a nice touring bike. Those bars would never work for me. My butt would never support my body without a little more help from my hands. 😅😅

Yeah, I kinda agree with you. But the title of the thread "Show us your vintage touring bikes" suggest vintage touring bikes not just any old bike that you could tour on, doesn't it?

DQRider 03-15-21 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hobbiano (Post 21967938)
Yeah, I kinda agree with you. But the title of the thread "Show us your vintage touring bikes" suggest vintage touring bikes not just any old bike that you could tour on, doesn't it?

What if your bike is a high-end, hand-built Italian, geometry more like a race bike, but the model name on the NDS chainstay says "Special Touring"? It seems to me that the only distinguishing factor that makes this a "touring" bike are the eyelets for either fenders or racks. But you can't have both.

https://i.imgur.com/HAyl4Qe.png

Germany_chris 03-15-21 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 21968180)
What if your bike is a high-end, hand-built Italian, geometry more like a race bike, but the model name on the NDS chainstay says "Special Touring"? It seems to me that the only distinguishing factor that makes this a "touring" bike are the eyelets for either fenders or racks. But you can't have both.

Touring bikes use heavier tubing, generally have shorter top tubes, longer chain stays, slacker angles and room for bigger tires. Lots of bikes particularly from Europe have rack and fender mounts because they’re used for transportation.

The Golden Boy 03-15-21 11:08 AM

You can wrap a rag across your fingertip and call it a "toothbrush."

Hobbiano 03-15-21 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 21968180)

Sport touring? I don't know but that's a sweet bike. Looks great in blue.