Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

indyfabz 12-13-21 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338660)
Looks kinda cute IMO.

edit: it becomes the fish's NEW tongue: see cut/paste from Wikipedia below

​​​​​​The parasite severs the blood vessels in the fish's tongue, causing the tongue to fall off. It then attaches itself to the remaining stub of the tongue and becomes the fish's new tongue.[2]

Bought a pompano for dinner. Will inspect before cooking.

Velo Vol 12-13-21 01:26 PM

Map of the Day

13 December 2021

Eric F 12-13-21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338806)

Hmmm...This is one I find mildly interesting.

WhyFi 12-13-21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22338814)
Hmmm...This is one I find mildly interesting.

I see that it skirts Lake Baikal. I really don't know why, but that's a bucket list kind destination for me.

datlas 12-13-21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22338699)
VeloVol leaps into a handy dodge and speeds away.

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338711)
I'm still here.

It's a metaphorical dodge.

Get it?

genejockey 12-13-21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22338795)
Bought a pompano for dinner. Will inspect before cooking.

Probably not communicable, unless you're kissing the fish - en Francais.

genejockey 12-13-21 01:48 PM

Today's commute was just fun as all hell. A goodly part of it was through what my Dad would have called 'a real frogstrangler'. At one point I had pulled all the way to the slow lane and put on my flashers, since I was going about 40. Not only was visibility for s**t, but also I periodically hit patches where the water was deep enough to hydroplane momentarily, or if not hydroplaning, at least feeling the car pulling one way or the other. Meanwhile I see folks in other vehicles flying by at 60-80. Either I'm too cautious or they're not cautious enough, but for sure some of them were driving faster than they could see.

This is the rain I was expecting yesterday when I Zwifted in lieu of riding IRL, but as it turned out that was just sprinkles till later in the day.

indyfabz 12-13-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22338836)
Probably not communicable, unless you're kissing the fish - en Francais.

"Galocher" is French slang term for swapping tongues.

phrantic09 12-13-21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338469)
Mt Mitchell is on my to-do list. I don't think it would be the annual Assault. More likely the mountain will be assaulting me anyway.

Lifetime list for me w/ Evans, Whiteface, Washington and Ventoux

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22338656)
I supplement whey after rides.

What sort do you use?

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22338645)
This past weekend concluded my daughter's fall softball season. For the next few weeks, it looks like I'll be able to spend a lot more time on the bike. I'm hoping to get back to doing 100+ mile weeks again.

Softball sucks the life out: our fall season ended in mid October- we are on to winter indoor workouts now.

LAJ 12-13-21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22338886)

What sort do you use?

Evans Sucks. :) It's hard, and it's high.

https://us.myprotein.com/ Coupon Code: Get50 50% off.

I like The Whey. It's more expensive, but it has the same stuff Labdoor says is good. https://labdoor.com/

Eric F 12-13-21 02:30 PM

Softball sucks the life out: our fall season ended in mid October- we are on to winter indoor workouts now.

The schedule of travel ball is certainly demanding, but watching my kid do awesome things in the sport she loves always beings me joy. Her team has a break for about 3 weeks before they start practices again. She wants to keep hitting during the break. She has one more trip through the HS season and the spring/summer travel ball season, and then everything changes. My wife and I will have to figure out if we still like each other.

bampilot06 12-13-21 02:32 PM

What sort do you use?

Use to only use Gold Standard, now iíll use what ever my wife buys.

phrantic09 12-13-21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22338905)
The schedule of travel ball is certainly demanding, but watching my kid do awesome things in the sport she loves always beings me joy. Her team has a break for about 3 weeks before they start practices again. She wants to keep hitting during the break. She has one more trip through the HS season and the spring/summer travel ball season, and then everything changes. My wife and I will have to figure out if we still like each other.

Mine is only 9, so travel ball isnít too demanding yet. They just started kid pitch and sheís adjusting to the huge variance in pitch speed. Sheís really fast for her age and is tremendous at getting on base.

phrantic09 12-13-21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22338907)
Use to only use Gold Standard, now iíll use what ever my wife buys.

We use GS with an auto ship from Bezos.

datlas 12-13-21 02:33 PM

Agree. Although I think Mt Washington might be too risky and only open one day/year.

I have done Whiteface and it's eminently do-able IMO. It's 8 miles at 8%. No rest but never gets worse than 10%. Get there early or expect to pay a few bucks at the entrance gate (I can't believe they charge a bike like a car but that's how they roll).

phrantic09 12-13-21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338914)
Agree. Although I think Mt Washington might be too risky and only open one day/year.

I have done Whiteface and it's eminently do-able IMO. It's 8 miles at 8%. No rest but never gets worse than 9%. Get there early or expect to pay a few bucks at the entrance gate (I can't believe they charge a bike like a car but that's how they roll).

Whiteface is about 2 hours away, honestly cannot believe I didnít get up there this past summer but am going to make it happen this coming summer.

Eric F 12-13-21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22338910)
Mine is only 9, so travel ball isnít too demanding yet. They just started kid pitch and sheís adjusting to the huge variance in pitch speed. Sheís really fast for her age and is tremendous at getting on base.

Awesome!! Enjoy the ride...and take lots of pics/video!! My daughter started playing rec ball at 8, and moved to full-time travel at 10. She's currently 17, and playing in her final year of 18U before heading off to college next year. It's been a long, exhausting road that has gone by REALLY fast. My daughter is not blessed with speed, but is pretty good at hitting the ball a long way.

WhyFi 12-13-21 02:56 PM

My wife's friend has been on leave following surgery and she has evidently gotten a little stir-crazy, so she baked a bunch of Christmas cookies to occupy the time. She just dropped some off for us.

They are not long for this world.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c69d6b4e34.jpg

datlas 12-13-21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22338919)
Whiteface is about 2 hours away, honestly cannot believe I didnít get up there this past summer but am going to make it happen this coming summer.

Wow. I am envious. It's 6+ hours away for us, so we went for a long weekend to Lake Placid. We rode from Lake Placid (which is also good for cycling, as I am sure you know). I do plan to come again but have other climbs to hit first. Likely will try Mt Baldy when we go to LA in February and Mt Mitchell sometime later in 2022. The European ones will have to wait,

rjones28 12-13-21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338509)
Nope. Salsa is much more homogeneous than gumbo is.

Incorrect.

How to Make Homemade Salsa | Restaurant-Style Salsa Recipe | Ree Drummond | Food Network

Gumbo Recipe | Food Network Kitchen | Food Network

rjones28 12-13-21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338523)
An allusion to WhyFi? Harsh.

I forget, did you ever get your seatpost sorted out?

genejockey 12-13-21 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22338898)
Evans Sucks. :) It's hard, and it's high.

https://us.myprotein.com/ Coupon Code: Get50 50% off.

I like The Whey. It's more expensive, but it has the same stuff Labdoor says is good. https://labdoor.com/

I was going to quote Joni Mitchell, "I've seen some hard, high places come down to smoke and ash", but it turns out that's a Mondegreen, and the REAL lyric is "I've seen some hot, hot blazes come down to smokin' ash".

So, nevermind.

rjones28 12-13-21 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338742)

19th Century cyclists were hardcore.

genejockey 12-13-21 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22338656)
I supplement whey after rides.

I supplement how much I weigh after rides. Does that count?

datlas 12-13-21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22339029)
I was going to quote Joni Mitchell, "I've seen some hard, high places come down to smoke and ash", but it turns out that's a Mondegreen, and the REAL lyric is "I've seen some hot, hot blazes come down to smokin' ash".

So, nevermind.

I have so many Mondegreens from my youth, it's really too embarrassing to mention them. Yours is innocuous.