Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Velo Vol 02-23-22 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22418967)
And crabon post and saddle.

And helium in the tires.

If it's just commutes the water bottle holder is unnecessary.

rjones28 02-23-22 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22419002)
If it's just commutes the water bottle holder is unnecessary.

Looks like a coffee mug holder to me.

Mojo31 02-23-22 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22419009)
Looks like a coffee mug holder to me.

I thought it was a beer can holder.

Shows what I know.

Velo Vol 02-23-22 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22419009)
Looks like a coffee mug holder to me.

Even worse.

Mojo31 02-23-22 01:50 PM

I was right. This commuter bike is on display at Lance's shop in Austin. Shows the proper use of those holder thingys.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a5cdb6943.jpg

rjones28 02-23-22 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22419021)
I thought it was a beer can holder.

Shows what I know.

For the ride home. ;)

LesterOfPuppets 02-23-22 01:56 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22419009)
Looks like a coffee mug holder to me.

It's a bar-mounted bottle cage adapter. Sits a little high, I might have to get some aluminium to make a bracket to lower the cage some.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22419021)
I thought it was a beer can holder.

Shows what I know.

Yesterday it held a 20oz grape PowerAde for quite some time, and briefly a 25oz can of Stella.

genejockey 02-23-22 02:03 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418851)
Did an hour long (fake) ride with B. Brevet today, on the Chain Chomper course in the Makuri Islands. Since a chunk of that course is on gravel, I picked up the (fake) Cervelo Aspero for the ride. It was certainly easier on the uphill gravel section, but it was most definitely harder on the pavement; I was above 300w a *lot* more than as is usual with Brevet. Granted, a part of that may have been the small group, prolly no more than 10-15 at any given time, which makes it easier to get detached, but still, I averaged 20w or so more than I usually would with that group.

Maybe I'll do that group/course again tomorrow on a road bike. Of the ~24min loop, only ~6min of that is the gravel climb, and I'm guessing that, on the whole, the road bike will be easier for me.

That reflects my experience using the Canyon Grail on Chain Chomper in TdZ Stage 4. I wasn't riding with Brevet, just trying to keep up with a bunch I could hang with. On the road I was doing maybe 0.2 to 0.4 w/kg more than the folks on road bikes around me. Once on the gravel climb, however, they all bogged down and I dropped them easily, as well as catching and passing a bunch of other riders.

Mojo31 02-23-22 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418956)
Do it once and do it right.

That means 18v/20v.

Let me know what you decide. I might rely on your research. This one's been on my radar: DEWALT 20-Volt MAX XR Cordless Brushless 1/2 in. Drill/Driver with (1) 20-Volt 5.0Ah Battery, Charger & Bag DCD791P1 - The Home Depot

The only thing stopping me from making the purchase is that I haven't needed a drill lately.


This one may save some money - cheaper and 2 batteries: Amazon.com: DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Drill / Driver Kit, Brushless, 1/2-Inch (DCD791D2) : Tools & Home Improvement. Otherwise, I can't readily tell the difference.

DougRNS 02-23-22 02:25 PM

Lumbar and thoracic MRI scheduled for next week. I may be a candidate for total disc replacement (based on no evidence.)

Follow up the following week. The medical community is passing me around like a Tommy Chong fatty.

genejockey 02-23-22 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22418906)
I don't even want to mess about looking for tags or other small-scale orientation indicators.
I guess they don't all have to be striped-
I totally would've grabbed this set if they'd printed all the boats right-side-up

Just remember, make sure the stripes are vertical, because horizontal stripes will make your bed look fat.

rjones28 02-23-22 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22419026)
Even worse.

Coffee is always a good idea.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b65e3b12e.png

Velo Vol 02-23-22 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22419071)
I may be a candidate for total disc replacement (based on no evidence.)

That's the way witch doctors roll.

BillyD 02-23-22 02:56 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418902)
Apropos of nothing, I've recently become enamored with the idea of getting a new, brushless drill and impact driver kit. Tools, man, they're just... addicting. :twitchy:

I feel you. Back in the 80s I used to visit Canal St. at least every other weekend, Saturdays usually. For nothing in particular, just to browse the shops. I miss that.

BillyD 02-23-22 03:04 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418956)
Do it once and do it right.

That means 18v/20v.

Let me know what you decide. I might rely on your research. This one's been on my radar: DEWALT 20-Volt MAX XR Cordless Brushless 1/2 in. Drill/Driver with (1) 20-Volt 5.0Ah Battery, Charger & Bag DCD791P1 - The Home Depot

The only thing stopping me from making the purchase is that I haven't needed a drill lately.

Since when does that matter?

WhyFi 02-23-22 03:07 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418956)
Do it once and do it right.

Agree.


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418956)
That means 18v/20v.

Don't agree. There's such a thing as overkill - IMO, it's better to get something that adequately covers your intended use and call it good. My like my block plane and 4" squares are the most often used tools in the shop, I know that there are a lot of tradesmen that reach for their 12v stuff the vast majority of the time - it's lighter, less fatiguing and it gets the job done. Sometimes they might need more grunt and they break out something bigger, the question is how often I'll be in need of something bigger and whether or not I've got other ways to approach that issue when it arises. Realistically, I'm not going to be doing marathon jobs where mammoth torque is going to drill each of 512 holes 4-seconds faster and three monster batteries are going to be needed to keep me going all day. That said...


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418956)
Let me know what you decide. I might rely on your research. This one's been on my radar: DEWALT 20-Volt MAX XR Cordless Brushless 1/2 in. Drill/Driver with (1) 20-Volt 5.0Ah Battery, Charger & Bag DCD791P1 - The Home Depot

The only thing stopping me from making the purchase is that I haven't needed a drill lately.


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22418986)
A couple of things I learned from my construction superintendent (who is also a hobbyist woodworker)...1) Stick with the same brand and battery type for all your cordless tools. It makes it way easier to always have battery charged and ready, and cuts down on the number of chargers you need to make space for. 2) Buy tools that include a battery (and maybe a charger), rather than the tool only. Buying batteries and chargers separately is significantly more expensive.

....keeping the battery ecosystem in mind, one route that I'm strongly considering is going with a subcompact 18v like the black Makita tools - they essentially have the form factor and power of good 12v tools, but they run on 18v. That might give me more flexibility in the future. Maybe.

WhyFi 02-23-22 03:13 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22419110)
I feel you. Back in the 80s I used to visit Canal St. at least every other weekend, Saturdays usually. For nothing in particular, just to browse the shops. I miss that.

The other day, I needed some nuts and bolts - nothing else. I drove 25 minutes, each way, to a hardware store because they had a of couple different tool lines that I hadn't fondled yet. :lol:

Mojo31 02-23-22 03:18 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22419124)



Don't agree. There's such a thing as overkill - IMO, it's better to get something that adequately covers your intended use and call it good. My like my block plane and 4" squares are the most often used tools in the shop, I know that there are a lot of tradesmen that reach for their 12v stuff the vast majority of the time - it's lighter, less fatiguing and it gets the job done. Sometimes they might need more grunt and they break out something bigger, the question is how often I'll be in need of something bigger and whether or not I've got other ways to approach that issue when it arises. Realistically, I'm not going to be doing marathon jobs where mammoth torque is going to drill each of 512 holes 4-seconds faster and three monster batteries are going to be needed to keep me going all day. That said...

Says the guy who has encouraged me to spend well over 200 bucks for oversize pulley wheels even though my FTP is about 20. ;)

big john 02-23-22 03:44 PM

It's windy again and cold (for here) so I just rode the mtb around the neighborhood. Lots of puffy clouds.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cb609d6175.jpg
I went up here but turned back instead of climbing over one of the ridges. The legs just aren't having it today.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...79506f8d6e.jpg
One time I came down that little trail, all the way from the top. It drops about 2000 feet in a few miles. I'd do it again if things were right.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...90f962501b.jpg

WhyFi 02-23-22 03:49 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22419136)
Says the guy who has encouraged me to spend well over 200 bucks for oversize pulley wheels even though my FTP is about 20. ;)

I mean, I don't recall this, but if true, it sounds like a rational and splendid idea! What's an OSPW gonna save - 1-2w? That's 5-10% of your FTP!!!

For me, though, it'd be a horrible investment, saving just the teeniest percentage of the power from my guads of thunder. :innocent:

Velo Vol 02-23-22 03:49 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22419085)
Coffee is always a good idea.

If coffee causes one to drive whatever that thing is parked there, I'll pass.

big john 02-23-22 04:05 PM

I snapped one over the neighbor's fence to show the clouds boiling over the top of the ridge. Those tiny trees up there are over 2500 feet higher than where I live. There is a fire observation station there with two helicopter pads. It's a popular destination for roadies and there are some fun roads going up from both sides, plus the dirt road.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f5f4dd7d46.jpg

bampilot06 02-23-22 04:20 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22419030)
I was right. This commuter bike is on display at Lance's shop in Austin. Shows the proper use of those holder thingys.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a5cdb6943.jpg


when we’re you there!

Trsnrtr 02-23-22 04:25 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22418884)
The tag is always at the foot of the bed, right side as you're standing at the foot of the bed.

Evidently a couple of my sheet manufacturers didn't get the memo.

Mojo31 02-23-22 04:28 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22419203)
when we’re you there!

We were in Austin for Thanksgiving, but the last time I was at that store was a little less than a year ago.

We are in Austin as much as 6 times a year, but I rarely go into the bike shops.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.