Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

big john 07-11-22 04:31 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22571402)
A few weeks back, I was riding the Canyon, and there was a rider who was taking much the same route as I did. It was one of those things where I'd passed him, then he caught up at stoplights, then I passed them again. The third time, he said something like, "It's nice when the bike does the work for you", which didn't initially register, but I think he thought I was on an e-bike.

I've had that on my mtb. It has a bulky bottom bracket area which looks like it could hide a motor.

genejockey 07-11-22 05:04 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22571424)
I've had that on my mtb. It has a bulky bottom bracket area which looks like it could hide a motor.

The guy was about my age, +/- 5-10 years, skinny, and riding an old Kestrel. I think he didn't want to think an old fat guy was faster than him. But that was one of my "Cycling God" days. Another day, I wouldn't be.

WhyFi 07-11-22 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22571402)
A few weeks back, I was riding the Canyon, and there was a rider who was taking much the same route as I did. It was one of those things where I'd passed him, then he caught up at stoplights, then I passed them again. The third time, he said something like, "It's nice when the bike does the work for you", which didn't initially register, but I think he thought I was on an e-bike.

Uh huh - whatever you say, motor-doper :p

WhyFi 07-11-22 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22571455)
I think he didn't want to think an old fat guy was faster than him. But that was one of my "Cycling God" days. Another day, I wouldn't be.

I have the opposite problem - people seeing my glorious legs and wondering why I'm not faster. :cry:

MoAlpha 07-11-22 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22571239)
Increasing range while maintaining intensity and duration would be a really cool thing - getting to see more and varied terrain would be a really nice benefit and motivator.

....but I'd put money on you doing a century without. I would bet that more people would have problems with the position-related fatigue rather than the effort necessary. You really don't need to move that fast if you're comfortable.

An ebike would be good for smoothing out the effort on the hills on the 80% of training one is supposed to be doing at very low intensity. Some experts, e.g., Iņigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.

WhyFi 07-11-22 05:21 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22571463)
Some experts, e.g., Iņigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.

Damn it - I have enough things to work up my anxiety and now you tell me this? :p​​​​​

genejockey 07-11-22 05:22 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22571458)
Uh huh - whatever you say, motor-doper :p

Not me! I'm just a garden variety dope.

WhyFi 07-11-22 05:24 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22571463)
Some experts, e.g., Iņigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.

Oh, and FYI, I've been doing some intermittent fasting. Might try some real deal, multi-day fasting, too - I've got enough stores. :o

Eric F 07-11-22 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22571466)
Not me! I'm just a garden variety dope.

I know a few guys who plant dope in their garden.

Mojo31 07-11-22 05:26 PM

May have to get a Vivax motor for the comfort bike.

Mojo31 07-11-22 05:28 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22571471)
I know a few guys who plant dope in their garden.

I know a few who plant it in their 10 to 20 acre gardens.

genejockey 07-11-22 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22571468)
Oh, and FYI, I've been doing some intermittent fasting. Might try some real deal, multi-day fasting, too - I've got enough stores. :o

I'm more the intermittent overeating kind of guy.

Eric F 07-11-22 05:31 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22571480)
I'm more the intermittent overeating kind of guy.

I resemble this remark.

genejockey 07-11-22 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22571463)
An ebike would be good for smoothing out the effort on the hills on the 80% of training one is supposed to be doing at very low intensity. Some experts, e.g., Iņigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.

This must be why I'm still over 200 lbs. There are too many climbs on my Sunday route, causing me to flip into glycolysis.

Yeah, that must be it. It's not the ice cream and chips. It's the hills.

MoAlpha 07-11-22 05:40 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22571464)
Damn it - I have enough things to work up my anxiety and now you tell me this? :p​​​​​

Right?

And on my extended commutes through the park where all the weird, out of shape, aggro riders are, I am now a soft target for anyone with something to prove. :50:

abshipp 07-11-22 06:16 PM

Happy Webb Deep Field day :bday:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1476384431.jpg

bampilot06 07-11-22 06:52 PM

I don’t get bored on long rides. Mostly because I am trying to push it, and my garmin is set up for 5 mile laps. As long as i’m under 15 mins I know I am making good time . I used to have to sprint the last 30 seconds or so to make it everytime.

Only issue I have on long rides, days I am not feeling it at a certain point I want off. This never happens when I am close to home.

rjones28 07-11-22 07:05 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22570818)
get a couple of the Park tire boots. You'd still be riding that tire. I have one on the front wheel of the 09 Tarmac. Same situation. Brand new tire. Hit a shard of glass that put a sizable slice in the casing of the tire tread. Still works just fine. I will eventually move it to a rear for safety.

All of my flat kits have a at TB-2 in them.

indyfabz 07-11-22 07:10 PM

My mom died 9 years ago today. I took this photo of her when I was a child.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...72d8e82a4.jpeg

genejockey 07-11-22 07:20 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22571520)

In my mind's ear, I hear Carl Sagan saying, "BILLions and BILLions of galaxies!"

rjones28 07-11-22 07:29 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22571166)
My suggestion for a sub 5 hour century? E-bike.

Easy peasy.

Oh?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e9b38cc4de.jpg

Mojo31 07-11-22 07:48 PM

Where’s LAJ? There’s a Buc-eye’s coming his way.

rjones28 07-11-22 07:53 PM

Serviced a room full of bikes today.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...152c52cbb5.jpg

rjones28 07-11-22 07:55 PM

Including this one.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...04880fff57.jpg

Mojo31 07-11-22 08:34 PM

I like that one.

bampilot06 07-11-22 08:36 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22571594)


Looks like he has good taste.

Mojo31 07-11-22 08:36 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22571591)
Serviced a room full of bikes today.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...152c52cbb5.jpg

Thats a lot of bikes in one’s house. Are they all black?

bampilot06 07-11-22 08:36 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22571621)
I like that one.


Your wife said no.

rjones28 07-11-22 08:38 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22571621)
I like that one.

Emonda SLR 9 with Sram Red eTap. I replaced the brake pads.

rjones28 07-11-22 08:45 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22571625)
Thats a lot of bikes in one’s house. Are they all black?

It's in a hotel in Cazenovia. 22 Trek Madone SL 7s with Ultegra Di2. All black.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.