Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

desconhecido 01-20-17 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 19325662)
Thanks and yeah it's a '78. :)

Looks like the bike hasn't seen a lot of use. Back in 2014, Bandera had some wryly funny observations to make about the life cycle of many Raleigh Sports bicycles

Here's Timeline of a 1973 Raleigh Sport in the USA

6/15/73 Assembled w/ a sip of SA oil in the hub.

6/16/73 Purchased to "Save Gas" and "Get in Shape"

6/17/73 Ridden down the block in 3rd gear, banished to garage.

6/17/83 Moved to basement.

Yesterday: Advertised on CL as Vintage for 5X original price w/ dry rotten tires, frozen brake cables and a dried up varnish in the hub.

(Most of these machines have more neglect than miles: Caveat Emptor)

-Bandera

gster 01-20-17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19325391)
All the recent chatter about gearing and sprockets got me interested in making some changes to the '71 Robin Hood. It came to me totally original and wearing an 18 tooth cog with a 46T chain ring. After two years of riding I have found the gearing too big for the type of riding done with this bike. I use it for my leisurely nostalgic cruising about bike. I had a 20T in the parts bin, but my LBS which was once a Raleigh dealer had a new 21T which I paid $8.00 for.(that was the original price on the part).
I also replaced the chain with a new KMC. The only difficult part of the job was sizing the chain. Even a 1/2 link was not a help. In the center of the dropouts, I had fender clearance issues with the Schwalbe tires. so I went back to about where it was before and not requiring a 1/2 link as before. No chance to ride it yet due to crappy winter weather but I think it will fine.
While I was at it, I replaced the hard thin white plastic bar tape with something more comfortable if not as period.

Good lookin' bike.

2cam16 01-20-17 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19325697)
Looks like the bike hasn't seen a lot of use. Back in 2014, Bandera had some wryly funny observations to make about the life cycle of many Raleigh Sports bicycles

LOL! Good one.
Yeah I haven't had a chance to look it over yet but from what I've seen, looks like it just mostly sat there.

gna 01-22-17 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19291605)
A quick look at images on the web, and I can't find any Robin Hoods with anything but the "hockey stick" guards. Or guardless, of course. Surely they would not go to the expense of the stylized chain ring just to hide it, would they? All the Raleighs, I think, with the enclosed guards had plain rings.

So, any early Raleigh HS guard should do -- until they introduced the heel grabber.

Hey, looky:
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...available.html

I love this place. If only searching were easier. Too bad everybody's such a big meanie.

Wow, a blast from the past. Never bothered to paint the chainguard. Sold that bike a couple of years ago. I have a 23" Sports I like better.

Dante41 01-22-17 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bit of a lurker, first time poster. Just assembled an old Dunelt with a 23" frame myself off of eBay for $165. It doesn't have the shifter cable attached yet because Fedex damaged the indicator spindle in transit; the seller said he's sending me a free replacement ASAP.

The most curious thing is that the seller said it was a 1963 model based on the bike license on the seat tube, but it's got a Hercules Type B gearhub instead of a Sturmey-Archer branded one (I know that the Type B was just a licensed copy). With the flattop forks, doesn't that mark it as a pre-Raleigh Dunelt?

Dante41 01-22-17 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dante41 (Post 19328353)
The most curious thing is that the seller said it was a 1963 model based on the bike license on the seat tube, but it's got a Hercules Type B gearhub instead of a Sturmey-Archer branded one (I know that the Type B was just a licensed copy). With the flattop forks, doesn't that mark it as a pre-Raleigh Dunelt?

Broke this into two posts so the pictures don't screw with the formatting.

Dsprok 01-22-17 11:29 AM

Welcome.
More pics Please.

Dante41 01-22-17 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
All I have on hand are of the head badge and of the seat tube/bike license. Is there anything in particular you want to see?

Dante41 01-22-17 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh! And the other side. Forgot I took this one first.

BigChief 01-22-17 01:34 PM

Fine bike, good find. Need more detail, but it is a Raleigh frame and fenders. The grips, clamp on cable roller and guaranteed English lightweight transfer are all consistent with the early 60s. The Herc hub and what appears to be Suresta kickstand are usually associated with Birmingham bikes.

clubman 01-22-17 01:59 PM

Agree with BigChief, it's an odd blend of parts. It looks like a '63 bike but many Dunelts had the 'D' thimbles by then.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3284/3...3fab8bb266.jpg
Your fork crown is definitely the Birmingham style so It's probably old stock forks used by Raleigh. Your head badge is definitely Raleigh period and the rest of the frame fits with that. Either a previous owner made a parts swap or you got a true parts-bin special straight from Nottingham.

Dante41 01-22-17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19328710)
Agree with BigChief, it's an odd blend of parts. It looks like a '63 bike but many Dunelts had the 'D' thimbles by then.

Your fork crown is definitely the Birmingham style so It's probably old stock forks used by Raleigh. Your head badge is definitely Raleigh period and the rest of the frame fits with that. Either a previous owner made a parts swap or you got a true parts-bin special straight from Nottingham.

Fascinating! I had originally pegged as Raleigh-made, but the Hercules hub threw me for a whirl when I saw it, because I didn't think a Raleigh-made Dunelt would have a non-Sturmey Archer hub. It is a Suresta kickstand, so unless a previous owner just liked to use Hercules-only parts, I think it's safe to say Raleigh decided to burn through a bunch of their acquisitions part stock when they made this beauty. It definitely gives it a ton of character!

Piff 01-22-17 05:30 PM

When looking for these on Craigslist, what search keywords do you use?

I've been trying terms like sears, Raleigh, Hercules, 3 speed. How do you all go about finding them?

supton 01-22-17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Piff (Post 19329114)

I've been trying terms like sears, Raleigh, Hercules, 3 speed. How do you all go about finding them?

I usually just look on Craigslist, but NH doesn't have a huge bike page. I'd use the terms you list, and just keep looking.

supton 01-22-17 07:45 PM

Been a while since I've been on here, but I'm still be (occasionally) riding my 1969 Raleigh Sprite. It's supposed to be a 5 speed... and I've just never gotten around to getting both shifters, so it got an AW from a bike that I parted out way back when, and I've just kept riding it, as-is. The rubber block pedals wore alarmingly fast so it got some metal pedals; the Brooks broke right after I bought it so I swapped on a saddle that came with my road bike that I hated (surprise, it works ok here). The bag is a Click-it or somesuch which gets tools and carries a water bottle. Yesterday was the first time it needed a repair; the bearings in the head tube got very sticky. As I wanted to ride the fix was a shot of WD40.

Bought in 2010, it tends to get ridden mostly in not so good weather (the good weather I get out my other bike). Fenders for the win.

Took it out yesterday on a 20 mile ride, as it's middle of winter but warmed up to 40F plus, and I just needed to get out.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a77qtu.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2nrfpg3.jpg

And yes, I regretted afterwards putting it into the snow, as I was on top of a hill for both pics! At some point I'll get some new pads, I think it still has 1969 pads, front tire etc.

2cam16 01-22-17 08:37 PM

I don't search specifically for the English bikes but I come across them often here in the SF Bay Area.

nlerner 01-22-17 08:45 PM

You need to be patient. Plus, expand your search to include Raliegh (a common spelling mistake), Armstrong, Phillips, Rudge, Humber, and probably a few more I'm not thinking of.

Piff 01-22-17 08:50 PM

Thanks for the good advice. Will do!

thumpism 01-22-17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Piff (Post 19329503)
Thanks for the good advice. Will do!

Where are you located? Some areas are thick with these bikes while others are barren. You might have to travel for one. Good luck!

Piff 01-22-17 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19329516)
Where are you located? Some areas are thick with these bikes while others are barren. You might have to travel for one. Good luck!

I live in San Diego, which has a pretty big market. Plus, I'm close enough to LA to make a trip if something really good comes up.

gster 01-23-17 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 19329494)
You need to be patient. Plus, expand your search to include Raliegh (a common spelling mistake), Armstrong, Phillips, Rudge, Humber, and probably a few more I'm not thinking of.

Good advice on the mis-spelling of Raleigh. I found a very nice ladies Superbe that had been listed that way.

BigChief 01-23-17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by supton (Post 19329376)
Been a while since I've been on here, but I'm still be (occasionally) riding my 1969 Raleigh Sprite. It's supposed to be a 5 speed... and I've just never gotten around to getting both shifters, so it got an AW from a bike that I parted out way back when, and I've just kept riding it, as-is. The rubber block pedals wore alarmingly fast so it got some metal pedals; the Brooks broke right after I bought it so I swapped on a saddle that came with my road bike that I hated (surprise, it works ok here). The bag is a Click-it or somesuch which gets tools and carries a water bottle. Yesterday was the first time it needed a repair; the bearings in the head tube got very sticky. As I wanted to ride the fix was a shot of WD40.

Bought in 2010, it tends to get ridden mostly in not so good weather (the good weather I get out my other bike). Fenders for the win.

Took it out yesterday on a 20 mile ride, as it's middle of winter but warmed up to 40F plus, and I just needed to get out.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a77qtu.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2nrfpg3.jpg

And yes, I regretted afterwards putting it into the snow, as I was on top of a hill for both pics! At some point I'll get some new pads, I think it still has 1969 pads, front tire etc.

I love these bikes. Mine came with the original top tube shifters, but I couldn't get along with them at all, so this is what I came up with. A standard trigger for the right and a SunTour ratchet up, friction down type handlebar shifter to operate the left side bell crank.
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...e_shifters.jpg

Dante41 01-23-17 10:49 AM

It's also worth saying and considering to check the Vintage Bicycle section of eBay. Some of the bikes are overpriced for what they are, but you've got a much wider selection. It's what I had to wind up doing so I could get a 23 inch frame that could fit me; all my local CL had were 21 inch frames.

thumpism 01-23-17 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dante41 (Post 19330534)
It's also worth saying and considering to check the Vintage Bicycle section of eBay. Some of the bikes are overpriced for what they are, but you've got a much wider selection. It's what I had to wind up doing so I could get a 23 inch frame that could fit me; all my local CL had were 21 inch frames.

You're following the wrong CL. They turn up frequently around here. This ad's been up for weeks with no takers.

MENS 1972 RALEIGH LTD 3 BIKE

MENS 1972 RALEIGH LTD 3 BIKE - $159 (CHESTER)

https://images.craigslist.org/00q0q_...T_1200x900.jpg

NICE EXCELLENT SHAPE

DQRider 01-23-17 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19330552)
You're following the wrong CL. They turn up frequently around here. This ad's been up for weeks with no takers.

MENS 1972 RALEIGH LTD 3 BIKE

MENS 1972 RALEIGH LTD 3 BIKE - $159 (CHESTER)

https://images.craigslist.org/00q0q_...T_1200x900.jpg

NICE EXCELLENT SHAPE

Had they already gone to the plastic triggers on the S-A shifter in `72? I thought those came later...