Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

3speedslow 09-30-17 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This will be the hubs, 40 hole Raleigh with a high tooth count to save my knee. A 36 hole Sturmey Archer high flange in front. Going to be a busy Winter with all this wheelbuilding..

BigChief 09-30-17 04:41 PM

Backyard work a round

While I was setting up the green Sports I used a handy work a round that I haven't needed in years. Works well. Thought I'd pass it along. I got this bike with a newly installed CR18 rim on the rear. It wasn't a professional job and I think it was dished a bit off to the left. The brake was off center about 1/8" so the pads weren't hitting the rim evenly. On most bikes, you could tip the brake or whole wheel to even it out but the Raleigh doesn't have wiggle room in the dropout because of the flatted axle and anti rotation washer and the brake caliper has a washer that is contoured to the round tube on the frame on one side and a channel for the spring on the other, so it can't be tipped side to side. The easy way out of this is to loosen up the mounting bolt and turn the contoured washer against the frame tube 180 degrees so the channel that holds the spring is out in mid air at the bottom and the flat side of the washer is against the spring. Now, you are able to tip the brake side to side and get the pads spaced evenly from the rim then tighten up the bolt. The threaded washer on the front side of the spring has a channel to hold the spring. You really don't need a channel on both sides of the spring. One is plenty.

3speedslow 09-30-17 04:53 PM

That's what I would call deep knowledge. Stuff I am still chasing about these machines. You did a great job bringing that green machine back to the road!

3speedslow 09-30-17 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[MENTION=470364]Scipunk[/MENTION] for dosing the hub, I use a squirt can for a few drops for maintanence but for a good clean out, refill, I use a syringe. This I have filled with the 3-in-one I mentioned earlier.

johnnyspaghetti 09-30-17 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19897017)
I think you've got a rare bike. I've found no reference to a Dunelt 5 speed.
The decals are original so it hasn't been modified.
I'm jealous...

The decals are in very good condition with very few little flaws. I'm liking it more & more. Now I need to find an original condition red fender somewhere.

Attachment 582843

gster 09-30-17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19898454)
Finished most of the build a little while ago. Jumped on for a quick neighborhood tear. Great fit and a blast to ride! Still a few adjustments till I get things just the way I want them. The pedal on the left is indeed wonky so I will go to my back up ones. The grips are not the ones I want to use but are the only ones close enough for now. Brakes are a little noisy but are new so will hear how they go after a few rides. I love the Carradice but not the size. Thinking I might want to work up a metal bike toolbox that was put out by ESGE. Will also begin saving for some CR18 rims to build a second wheelset for SS riding.

Backstory... tomorrow we drive out of town to drop the Son off at his Grandparents. This in preparation for my Wife's full knee replacement on Monday. After that... my life will be spent as nurse, cook, errand boy, apptment driver, schoolteacher and anything else that comes my way.

It will be awhile before I get some good miles on this Scorcher.

Like the bike.
The bag is somewhat cumbersome.

adventurepdx 09-30-17 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19898794)
Like the bike.

Curious...what do you find cumbersome about the bag?

adventurepdx 09-30-17 08:22 PM

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4394/2...83b8a66b_o.jpg

Just letting everyone know that my (or technically, Society of Three Speeds) Three Speed October Challenge starts TOMORROW, Sunday October 1st!

The premise is simple...
  • Ride your three speed
  • Three times a week
  • For three weeks
  • Each ride at least three miles
  • During the five week period from Oct 1 through Nov 5

Of course, there are more details, which you can find out about here. https://societyofthreespeeds.wordpress.com/3-spd-oct/

Hope to see a few of you who post here taking the challenge! Talking about three speeds is fun, riding them is even more fun! :D

BigChief 09-30-17 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19898700)
The decals are in very good condition with very few little flaws. I'm liking it more & more. Now I need to find an original condition red fender somewhere.

Attachment 582843

I don't think I've seen any Raleigh light roadster, until now, in this color. I know it would be expensive, less so if you did all the prep work, to have a professional match the paint on a Raleigh fender. For this bike, it would be worth while IMO. It's also the type of thing you could chip away at over time. Finding a nice fender, stripping, priming and wet sanding it. A fun project. I think you're going to love the S5 once you have it sorted. Great hub

SirMike1983 09-30-17 09:06 PM

1941 Schwinn 3-speed New World on a fall day:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Xoe-RL_2i...930_161738.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-m0B0tUWLO...930_161814.jpg

3speedslow 09-30-17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19898794)
Like the bike.

Thanks! I kinda see what you are saying about the Carradice. It's a great bag for running around all day but does not seem to fit the idea for a scorcher. I use it a lot and have not thought of it as cumbersome on any of the bikes I strap it on.

I could use the original bag that came with it but might not get everything into it. This bike might turn into an all day knock around or just a fast run around.

adventurepdx 09-30-17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19898917)
Thanks! I kinda see what you are saying about the Carradice. It's a great bag for running around all day but does not seem to fit the idea for a scorcher. I use it a lot and have not thought of it as cumbersome on any of the bikes I strap it on.

I could use the original bag that came with it but might not get everything into it. This bike might turn into an all day knock around or just a fast run around.

I dunno, I don't find the bag cumbersome, especially since it's on the smaller side of a Carradice. I get that it may not go with the "scorcher" aesthetic, but I also like bikes to be functional. I like to be able to go on a ride and carry stuff, or stop at the store on the way home and such. And the traditional transverse saddlebag ala Carradice is so classically British looking. But if people don't want them encumbering their bikes, they are free to send their bags to me!:D

Anyways, here's a Carradice on my departed Rudge. I miss this bike, but it was just too damn small for me.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3709/1...a3cdc1cd_z.jpg

3speedslow 09-30-17 09:50 PM

True, I agree with your points. You said it better then I. My bikes are functional. They are how I get around. It's not just rides, it is how I get things done.

I have a metal toolbox I could mount to carry the needed tools but that still leaves everything else I need to bring along.

johnnyspaghetti 09-30-17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19898877)
I don't think I've seen any Raleigh light roadster, until now, in this color. I know it would be expensive, less so if you did all the prep work, to have a professional match the paint on a Raleigh fender. For this bike, it would be worth while IMO. It's also the type of thing you could chip away at over time. Finding a nice fender, stripping, priming and wet sanding it. A fun project. I think you're going to love the S5 once you have it sorted. Great hub

I haven't even climbed on this thing yet for a spin although told it rode well the day I got it. I will persue used red fender in good shape. there are a lot of red Bikes of this type out there I just need to find one. I saw red fenders on Ebay one day I think were reasonably priced. This one has the wire fender stays. I have a green Raleigh frt fnder but it has the half round steel fender stays. I do need to sort out the shift cable configuration as you can see the rt. cable is routed down to the bottom bracket Which cries out being wrong to me. I am going to start gathering odds & ends for this 5 Speed. I am very curious how the gears behave with my riding habits.

gster 10-01-17 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19898917)

I just think (my opinion) that the bag's size is disproportionate to the bike itself and visually weighs it down. I tried a bag on the back of mine and came to the same conclusion.
Just sayin'....

BigChief 10-01-17 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19898957)
I haven't even climbed on this thing yet for a spin although told it rode well the day I got it. I will persue used red fender in good shape. there are a lot of red Bikes of this type out there I just need to find one. I saw red fenders on Ebay one day I think were reasonably priced. This one has the wire fender stays. I have a green Raleigh frt fnder but it has the half round steel fender stays. I do need to sort out the shift cable configuration as you can see the rt. cable is routed down to the bottom bracket Which cries out being wrong to me. I am going to start gathering odds & ends for this 5 Speed. I am very curious how the gears behave with my riding habits.

Here's how the S5 ratios compare with a normal AW hub. With the bell crank disengaged, you have a wonderful medium spread that's perfect for flat country. When you engage the bell crank you get a super wide ratio spread. Personally I have no use for the crazy tall top gear, but the granny at first is very useful. 2nd is the same in either the wide or medium mode, so sometimes in hilly places I'll ride in wide mode so I have easy access to the granny when I shift into 1st. The right side 3 speed works just as smoothly as an AW, but it takes some finesse to coax the bell crank to shift modes.
S5
medium mode
1st -21%
2nd 0
3rd + 26.6%
wide mode
1st -33.5%
2nd 0
3rd +50%

AW hub
1st -25%
2nd 0
3rd +33%
edit: I should modify that last statement. It's only tricky to shift the bell crank up into the wide ratio mode. If you already have the crank engaged, the bell crank slips easily back into medium mode when you release tension on the cable. To get the hub into wide, you have to pull on the shifter, keep tension on the cable, freewheel and rotate the crank until you feel it clunk into gear.

BigChief 10-01-17 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19898505)
That's what I would call deep knowledge. Stuff I am still chasing about these machines. You did a great job bringing that green machine back to the road!

Thanks!
Even though this project is already way under water, it turned out to be a nice ride. Did about 10 miles on it yesterday. Looks like I'm going to have to spring for a nice saddle.

Scipunk 10-01-17 08:45 AM

Quick question, could I use a gold bmx style chain or are they different than the 3 speed in length etc?

BigChief 10-01-17 09:22 AM

I got a great deal on gold 1/8" KMC chains a while back and have been using them the last few years. They come with 112 links and a master link. That happens to be exactly the length I need for my DL1 with 46Tx22T gearing, but too long for a Sports. For my sports, I end up taking off a few links, but yeah, 1/8" single speed chain is what you want for a 3 speed.

Scipunk 10-01-17 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19899523)
I got a great deal on gold 1/8" KMC chains a while back and have been using them the last few years. They come with 112 links and a master link. That happens to be exactly the length I need for my DL1 with 46Tx22T gearing, but too long for a Sports. For my sports, I end up taking off a few links, but yeah, 1/8" single speed chain is what you want for a 3 speed.

Thanks man appreciate the info, I don’t mean to copy anyone but the gold will look great against the coffee color of the 73.

In other news I got the Columbia today and it’s really nice the SA hub sadly has no date code but is a AW so that a plus!
The shifter is smooth but is missing the plastic cover sadly. Both wheels need to be trued and it needs tires and brake pads but over all it rides really nice and just need a general clean up as it was last riden this past spring. Paint is solid but the stickers are peeling off. Oh and the middle attachment rivet for the back fender is busted which is boggling as this bike seems to have never been hit or damaged. I’ll have better pics up later today :)

adventurepdx 10-01-17 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19899145)
I just think (my opinion) that the bag's size is disproportionate to the bike itself and visually weighs it down. I tried a bag on the back of mine and came to the same conclusion.
Just sayin'....

So what kind/size of bag do you use on your three speeds? Or do you not use any bags?

3speedslow 10-01-17 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scipunk (Post 19899442)
Quick question, could I use a gold bmx style chain or are they different than the 3 speed in length etc?

Most will be fine as long as they are 1/8 sized. I prefer to use a black chain, my preference. Be careful of the 1/2 link chains they sell now, might not work on the Sport.

3speedslow 10-01-17 03:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got some time to take the bike out for another spin. Did a few items first. Changed the bag out to the original for a comparison shot. Found some steel platform pedals that suited my knees. Did a bolt check and found some that could stand a little bit more tightening. Did a slight adjust on the shift cable, works great through multiple shifts up and down. Gearing is 46X20. While out on a ride, had a panic stop and passed that! I think I still am going to move the shifter under the bar.
It was a ride worthy of the 3 Speed challenge !

clubman 10-01-17 04:02 PM

Great looking bike 3speedslow. Don't panic!

Ballenxj 10-01-17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19900145)
I got some time to take the bike out for another spin. Did a few items first. Changed the bag out to the original for a comparison shot. Found some steel platform pedals that suited my knees. Did a bolt check and found some that could stand a little bit more tightening. Did a slight adjust on the shift cable, works great through multiple shifts up and down. Gearing is 46X20. While out on a ride, had a panic stop and passed that! I think I still am going to move the shifter under the bar.
It was a ride worthy of the 3 Speed challenge !

Pretty SPIFFY looking Bike. :thumb: