Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Steve Bauserman 03-20-18 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20235532)
I see a lot of overlap here between lovers of old English bicycles, motorcycles and cars. I think the RRA and the Morgan make a perfect match in many ways. If I were to pick a motorcycle to go with the RAA it would have to be the Velocette KSS. Ahhh perfection.

Agreed on the overlap, but I was always kind of partial to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Black_Shadow

Here is a photo of all our Morgan cars and a couple others:

https://www.bikeforums.net/picture.p...ctureid=529128

johnnyspaghetti 03-20-18 10:02 PM

Jesus mary & Holy Joseph

johnnyspaghetti 03-21-18 12:03 AM

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...518352620.html going to say

BigChief 03-21-18 06:56 AM

That's a nice stepthrough. I can see , what's left of, 1950s style transfers and I think I see a chaincase lug peeking out behind the chainwheel. But it also has one of the right side up shifters with a printed faceplate without embossing that I always thought appeared around 1964.

nlerner 03-21-18 07:07 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20236336)
That's a nice stepthrough. I can see , what's left of, 1950s style transfers and I think I see a chaincase lug peeking out behind the chainwheel. But it also has one of the right side up shifters with a printed faceplate without embossing that I always thought appeared around 1964.

I'd go with early 60s, but that's mostly a guess.

johnnyspaghetti 03-21-18 07:20 AM

If I go look at it I'm bringing it home. I see 1960.

https://images.craigslist.org/00000_...T_1200x900.jpg
posting deleted.

thumpism 03-21-18 07:25 AM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20236377)
If I go look at it I'm bringing it home.

You know, if you don't go you can save yourself a lot of trouble and expense. We'd understand.

BigChief 03-21-18 09:16 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20236387)
You know, if you don't go you can save yourself a lot of trouble and expense. We'd understand.

Yes, but I'm hoping to know the hub date on this bike. It's possible, but unlikely that the shifter got replaced. Looks pretty original to me. Every Sports I've seen from 1961 on had the large RALEIGH transfers on both the down tube and chainguard with SPORTS on the seat tube without the "All Steel Bicycle". 1960 looks about right. I might have to adjust my dating of printed faceplate shifters back to 1960.

johnnyspaghetti 03-21-18 10:07 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20236679)
Yes, but I'm hoping to know the hub date on this bike. It's possible, but unlikely that the shifter got replaced. Looks pretty original to me. Every Sports I've seen from 1961 on had the large RALEIGH transfers on both the down tube and chainguard with SPORTS on the seat tube without the "All Steel Bicycle". 1960 looks about right. I might have to adjust my dating of printed faceplate shifters back to 1960.

I see a mis mounted shift fulcrum. You know straighten out that situation ..... .Its a 23"https://images.craigslist.org/00W0W_...tn_600x450.jpg

BigChief 03-21-18 10:37 AM

Ah, missed that too. Looks like somebody used a shifter cable meant for a gents frame. The housing wasn't long enough for stepthrough routing so they moved the fulcrum clip to the upper tube so it would reach the handlebars.

bazil4696 03-21-18 11:27 AM

Who is going to the Winter Indoor Canadian Vintage Bike Show in Brantford Ontario, Saturday March 24th? I'll be attending in the morning for a few hrs, but no table for me this year, as I'll be in Peacock Point for the weekend.
100 Market st. s, Brantford, 7-3
Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show - Saturday March 24, 2018

desconhecido 03-21-18 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20236377)
If I go look at it I'm bringing it home. I see 1960.

https://images.craigslist.org/00000_...T_1200x900.jpg

Nobody can blame you for being tempted. Or for acting on that temptation.
Looks like it's pretty complete and the chrome's not bad. Pretty fair price, too.

BigChief 03-21-18 12:37 PM

I think this stepthrough would be an excellent project. Very satisfying to bring back into shape. No rust issues, very clean looking rims and chrome. I love the look of old paint on a well maintained bike. This bike could be a gem. And I like the fact that it's an older model. I think the 50s were the high point of this design. My only problem is stepthroughs are so hard to sell after you're finished. I do need to sell them or at least give them away. I'll guess I'd have somewhere around 30 old 3 speeds by now if I didn't.

browngw 03-21-18 04:41 PM


Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 20237082)
Who is going to the Winter Indoor Canadian Vintage Bike Show in Brantford Ontario, Saturday March 24th? I'll be attending in the morning for a few hrs, but no table for me this year, as I'll be in Peacock Point for the weekend.
100 Market st. s, Brantford, 7-3
Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show - Saturday March 24, 2018

I will be there. I have not yet decided on whether to vend or not but will likely get a table if the weather is ok for dragging stuff in and out. I need to sell some bikes!

gster 03-22-18 03:28 AM

Robin Hood!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully I'll be picking up this Robin Hood frame and assorted parts this weekend.
I have enough components in the garage to put together another scorcher/path racer....
Attachment 604150
I'll post photos of the progress.

bazil4696 03-22-18 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20238583)
Hopefully I'll be picking up this Robin Hood frame and assorted parts this weekend.
I have enough components in the garage to put together another scorcher/path racer....
Attachment 604150
I'll post photos of the progress.

nice catch

BigChief 03-23-18 07:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gster (Post 20238583)
Hopefully I'll be picking up this Robin Hood frame and assorted parts this weekend.
I have enough components in the garage to put together another scorcher/path racer....
Attachment 604150
I'll post photos of the progress.

That frameset looks to be in excellent shape. I like scorcher builds. Originality is only an option, so I can have fun with mods. I'll share some of the things I've discovered with my Rudge. One is that for flat country with no hills to climb, the 48x22 gearing I have now is a bit too low. There's no need to sacrifice this much overdrive just to compensate for head winds. I'm going to try a 20T cog first, but I may even revert to the original 18T. Another fun thing are the Tektro R559 calipers. I don't think they stop the bike any faster, but they have a really nice feel to them. I did have a lever travel issue with the rear brake though. Not that it didn't work, but under braking, the lever was too close to the grip for my liking. I solved it with this cable stop arrangement on the top tube. I've heard that compression-less cable housing would be another option, but I don't know. I have an alloy rim on the front, but I haven't gotten around to adding a CR-18 to the rear yet. It's on my list. Another area where I cast originality aside is the trigger shifter. I find that I much prefer the longer arm shifters. I can mount them flatter and there's enough leverage and reach that I can shift with just my forefinger.

Attachment 604296

Attachment 604297

Attachment 604298

bazil4696 03-23-18 10:16 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20240788)
That frameset looks to be in excellent shape. I like scorcher builds. Originality is only an option, so I can have fun with mods. I'll share some of the things I've discovered with my Rudge. One is that for flat country with no hills to climb, the 48x22 gearing I have now is a bit too low. There's no need to sacrifice this much overdrive just to compensate for head winds. I'm going to try a 20T cog first, but I may even revert to the original 18T. Another fun thing are the Tektro R559 calipers. I don't think they stop the bike any faster, but they have a really nice feel to them. I did have a lever travel issue with the rear brake though. Not that it didn't work, but under braking, the lever was too close to the grip for my liking. I solved it with this cable stop arrangement on the top tube. I've heard that compression-less cable housing would be another option, but I don't know. I have an alloy rim on the front, but I haven't gotten around to adding a CR-18 to the rear yet. It's on my list. Another area where I cast originality aside is the trigger shifter. I find that I much prefer the longer arm shifters. I can mount them flatter and there's enough leverage and reach that I can shift with just my forefinger.

Attachment 604296

Attachment 604297

Attachment 604298

I favour the 48/20T on my 71 Superbe and have tried the 22T which I agree gives up too much unless there are REALLY nasty hills all day, and I'm not that rider. I recently found a 21T sprocket and Im ready to try it this spring.

johnnyspaghetti 03-23-18 07:33 PM

Today I went and got this one with no front wheel.
Now I have to deal with it.
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...3&disp=safe&zw

gster 03-23-18 07:53 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20240788)
That frameset looks to be in excellent shape. I like scorcher builds. Originality is only an option, so I can have fun with mods. I'll share some of the things I've discovered with my Rudge. One is that for flat country with no hills to climb, the 48x22 gearing I have now is a bit too low. There's no need to sacrifice this much overdrive just to compensate for head winds. I'm going to try a 20T cog first, but I may even revert to the original 18T. Another fun thing are the Tektro R559 calipers. I don't think they stop the bike any faster, but they have a really nice feel to them. I did have a lever travel issue with the rear brake though. Not that it didn't work, but under braking, the lever was too close to the grip for my liking. I solved it with this cable stop arrangement on the top tube. I've heard that compression-less cable housing would be another option, but I don't know. I have an alloy rim on the front, but I haven't gotten around to adding a CR-18 to the rear yet. It's on my list. Another area where I cast originality aside is the trigger shifter. I find that I much prefer the longer arm shifters. I can mount them flatter and there's enough leverage and reach that I can shift with just my forefinger.

Attachment 604296

Attachment 604297

Attachment 604298

Nice photos. I've got a saved search for a Rudge here on Kijiji. Very rare..
I think I've run out of calipers so may try your suggestion on the Tecktros.
We'll see about the gearing. I'm liking the 20T as well as the 22T.
I was surprised to find last year, that I'm not getting any younger.....

BigChief 03-24-18 05:34 AM

Yup, As I get older I find I have to make all sorts of "adjustments" in my life. Being able to fine tune the overall gearing goes a long way to making these old 3 speeds practical riders. My DL-1 came from the factory with 46x16 cogs. I'm just not strong enough to mash a big roadster up hills with those ratios anymore. The change to 46x22 made all the difference for me. Looking forward to seeing your Robin Hood come along. Scorcher builds are fun. Might have to do another myself sometime.

thumpism 03-24-18 05:57 AM

Sounds like a knowledgeable seller, so why not put tires and tubes on an otherwise very nice looking bike? My ladies' 19" Sports is of the same vintage as this one and the same color. Beautiful dark blue.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...541125508.html

58 cm Men's 3 Speed RALEIGH touring cruiser road bike - $80 (Richmond)

https://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_...x7_600x450.jpg


Classic steel from another era !

Built in Canada in November of 1980 - Raleigh Sports 3 speed bicycle. Men's frame size 58cm.

*Rides like a dream if you run on railroad tracks for kicks, otherwise you'll need to buy a pair of tires for it.

CALL 382-9474 / no text

BigChief 03-24-18 06:28 AM

Here's a super good deal $150 on a DL-1 out on the Cape. Especially for anybody who finds the usual 24" roadster too tall.
https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bi...541120037.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00x0x_...KS_600x450.jpg

johnnyspaghetti 03-24-18 07:32 AM

Finally one pops up at a decent price.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...540292780.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00000_...gT_600x450.jpgMy friend Jolio beat me toit

Ballenxj 03-24-18 09:40 AM


Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20242489)
Sounds like a knowledgeable seller, so why not put tires and tubes on an otherwise very nice looking bike?

Possibly a flipper and that would cut into the profit too much? :foo:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.