Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

slowtostart 06-01-16 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 18811720)
A couple from the long weekend:

1946 Hercules

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tF44xfPDx...529_143032.jpg

And some progress on a 1948 Raleigh Dawn Tourist

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eApbHDCSW...529_143437.jpg

Lovely!

agmetal 06-01-16 01:42 PM

Poll: On older bikes with very relaxed frame angles, how many people are putting the saddle on the front of the seatpost, and how many are putting it on the back? Primarily talking about Brooks and similar leather saddles. I tried my B66 on the front of the post, and it felt too cramped, but looking at the 1937 Raleigh catalog, it looks like a lot of the bikes have them on the front.

3speedslow 06-01-16 01:51 PM

I have to have my seat post in front of the clamp so I can run the Brooks all the back. Might not be a right or wrong here.

streets 06-01-16 02:06 PM

I am tall so I find I need the knee room. On my slack-angled 30s bike I have a gallows type seatpin turned backwards to get the saddle position right back.

agmetal 06-01-16 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by streets (Post 18813590)
I am tall so I find I need the knee room. On my slack-angled 30s bike I have a gallows type seatpin turned backwards to get the saddle position right back.

Interesting. I did see a picture recently of a Swiss M-05 military bike that was set up that way.

w1gfh 06-01-16 02:27 PM

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7399/2...0cb6f12761.jpgIMAG1146 by w1gfh

Both in front of the seatpost. It just so happens it's comfortable this way for me, with the bonus of being catalog correct.

Delboy Avenger 06-01-16 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone come across a WH Cartwright bike before?
The bike has Sturmey Archer 3 speed and is a ladies model.
It has what looks like an integrated headset with internal cups.
Pics to follow.
Also bottom bracket is made by Bayliss Wiley England.

Only mention I can find is in Graces Guide.
W. H. Cartwright and Sons

Sorry for the poor quality of the pic

streets 06-01-16 03:42 PM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 18813614)
Interesting. I did see a picture recently of a Swiss M-05 military bike that was set up that way.

I saw it once on a path racer type bike and thought it looked pretty good. It also serves to lower the saddle beyond the height of the top tube as it's a tall frame even for me. There's pics of it somewhere in this enormous thread!

gster 06-01-16 04:33 PM

The $40.00 Bicycle
I couldn't let this one go with mis-matched tires, plus it needed some refinements as well.I didn't want to spend any more money on it but still wanted it looking presentable.New tires were purchased for a couple of my regular bikes and the discards (still good) made there way onto the Brown Bike. I also added a pair of shortened inverted bars, a newer brake lever and new pads.https://threespeedmania.files.wordpr...0462.jpg?w=680
The headset bearings were feeling a little "crunchy" and when I got it apart I found that I'd put an extra bearing in the top......I took it out for a couple of hours today for a shakedown and it's quite a nice riding bicycle.https://threespeedmania.files.wordpr...0465.jpg?w=680
The patio bike rack.

gster 06-01-16 04:35 PM


Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18813543)
I have to have my seat post in front of the clamp so I can run the Brooks all the back. Might not be a right or wrong here.

Me too!

SirMike1983 06-01-16 08:00 PM

The reversible nature of the seat clamp direction, sliding saddle rails, and if you have one, gallows seat post is meant precisely to provide frame/fit adjustment. These were the days when only a couple of frame sizes might be made for a particular type of bike, so finer adjustments were made in such smaller ways. Ride it however is most comfortable for you.

I run all mine forward so I can sit straight up while riding comfortably, with relaxed arms. But your fit may differ.

BigChief 06-01-16 08:41 PM

Especially with 21" frames, which are really a bit small for me. I find I can raise the seat higher if I have it mounted more forward. Moving the seat forward has the same effect of lessening my weight on the bars as raising the stem.

Delboy Avenger 06-02-16 01:43 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Some pics as promisedhttp://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=524900http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=524901http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=524902http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=524903http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=524904http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=524905http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=524906

I have the wheels but can't date as the rear hub is rusty.
Should be able to date from the gear shifter.
Unusual brake lever also.

BigChief 06-02-16 04:16 AM

We can date the Sturmey Archer trigger shifter to the late 1950s. I have seen those stirrup style brake levers used on 1950s Norman and Phillips bikes.
I can't guess the brand except to say not Raleigh. Not sure if the fenders and chainguard are original to the frame. They look a lot like Raleigh, but the picture is to small to say.

streets 06-02-16 05:18 AM

I think it might be a Hercules, going by the shape of the head badge. If so it would date it to 50s-60s, which is when Hercules used that shape head badge.

arex 06-02-16 04:41 PM

SA Sturmey Archer Shifter Pulley Antique Vintage Bicycle RARE Two Speed Lever | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zuQAAO...LN/s-l1600.jpg

clubman 06-02-16 04:48 PM

Yeah they always forget the N is normal, not neutral. Hence, it's a 3 speed.

Gasbag 06-03-16 06:13 AM


Originally Posted by Delboy Avenger (Post 18813770)
Anyone come across a WH Cartwright bike before?
The bike has Sturmey Archer 3 speed and is a ladies model.
It has what looks like an integrated headset with internal cups.
Pics to follow.
Also bottom bracket is made by Bayliss Wiley England.

Only mention I can find is in Graces Guide.
W. H. Cartwright and Sons

Sorry for the poor quality of the pic

The brand of your bicycle is "All Strength". The headbadge should depict a pachyderm with its' trunk raised.

W.H. Cartwright and sons were the business proprietors.

Your All Strength is a worthy candidate to restore for being one of the more obscure English bicycles and the mix of components. The choice of Monitor branded brakes, where the more usual Phillips is found, along with the headset and bottom bracket sets the All Strength outside of the normal small builders fare. If the chain ring happens to be a Williams, it can be useful for date identification.

Here is a link to a UK forum where the final response is the grandson of W.H. Cartwright who may be able to provide you with some useful information: All Strength Bicycle 1954 Info Please - Cycling UK Forum

Delboy Avenger 06-03-16 08:33 AM

Thanks for the response.
Its in quite a bad way, but I will try to date it.
The head badge is very faded only the words are really visible.
The bottom bracket being Bayliss Wiley is also sought after.
Some more PlusGas to the rusty bolts should help.

Gasbag 06-03-16 09:18 AM

I'm glad to be of assistance. Please keep us updated on your progress, I have an interest in the lesser known marques.

nlerner 06-03-16 03:00 PM

Here's a new Raleigh 3-speed project for me, which I picked up today. Rear hub is dated 1970, and I suspect the hockey-stick chain guard is a replacement as its font doesn't match the font on the downtube (but I could be wrong). Then again, I associate that block Raleigh font with earlier than 1970, so who knows what is original here?! Saddle is an Ideale mod. 6. Oddest thing is that there's a right-side trigger and a left-side trigger, but the left side cable isn't attached to anything. Perhaps it was fitted with a 5-speed hub at some point?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...0/IMG_0361.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...0/IMG_0363.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...0/IMG_0367.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a...0/IMG_0369.JPG

gster 06-03-16 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 18819146)
Here's a new Raleigh 3-speed project for me, which I picked up today. Rear hub is dated 1970, and I suspect the hockey-stick chain guard is a replacement as its font doesn't match the font on the downtube (but I could be wrong). Then again, I associate that block Raleigh font with earlier than 1970, so who knows what is original here?! Saddle is an Ideale mod. 6. Oddest thing is that there's a right-side trigger and a left-side trigger, but the left side cable isn't attached to anything. Perhaps it was fitted with a 5-speed hub at some point?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...0/IMG_0361.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...0/IMG_0363.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...0/IMG_0367.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a...0/IMG_0369.JPG

That should clean up nicely.
Here's a restored '74 with the same chain guard. (not mine).
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=525217http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=525218

gster 06-03-16 03:46 PM

This ad for a 1962 Raleigh Superbe is interesting as it suggests that the Dynohub can be put to use to provide lighting in a fall-out shelter...

https://threespeedmania.files.wordpr...62-superbe.jpg

BigChief 06-03-16 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18819225)
That should clean up nicely.
Here's a restored '74 with the same chain guard. (not mine).

Pretty sure the chainguard is original. I've seen the mismatched logos before. Great find!! I love these bikes.
edit: That's a really odd 74 DL-1 if it is original. A 74 would normally have the Raleigh Tourist chainguard, a heron chainwheel without brackets and no pin striping.

ascherer 06-03-16 04:34 PM

Slightly OT as it's about an English 5-speed: I had a fun experience this past weekend while vacationing in the Berkshires. My wife and I needed a few bits from the local bike shop. While there I noticed a handsome Raleigh Sprite waiting near the repair zone. After selecting a few items I went back to see it again. By then the owner and a mechanic (kinda hipsterish, with an oiled and curled handlebar moustache, and model-quality hairstyling) were bent over it, and it was clear that they couldn't figure out something about the front hub. I asked, "Is it binding?" The mechanic said yes. so I said, "Old Raleigh hubs have an unusual setup with a fixed cone on one side. That needs to be on the right side, or the other cone will just tighten itself up. Pull the wheel and you'll see one side won't have wrench flats." The mechanic had a look of amazement - he'd never heard of suchlike. I joined my wife to render an opinion on some gloves she was trying on, and then checked back at the shop - the wheel was off, the mechanic affirmed his new lesson, and the owner thanked me. My work there was done!

clubman 06-03-16 04:37 PM

@gster, Just like these
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t...perbe-pair.jpg

Gasbag 06-03-16 05:00 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 18819146)
Here's a new Raleigh 3-speed project for me, which I picked up today. Rear hub is dated 1970, and I suspect the hockey-stick chain guard is a replacement as its font doesn't match the font on the downtube (but I could be wrong). Then again, I associate that block Raleigh font with earlier than 1970, so who knows what is original here?! Saddle is an Ideale mod. 6. Oddest thing is that there's a right-side trigger and a left-side trigger, but the left side cable isn't attached to anything. Perhaps it was fitted with a 5-speed hub at some point?

The gold cigar band on the seat tube indicates the date is likely correct, probably a remnant of another can be found further up the tube. My 1968 has the mismatched fonts also. Looks to be a well ridden bike and now a fun project. The French saddle might have it go into an identity crisis.

3speedslow 06-03-16 05:00 PM


Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 18819334)
Slightly OT as it's about an English 5-speed: I had a fun experience this past weekend while vacationing in the Berkshires. My wife and I needed a few bits from the local bike shop. While there I noticed a handsome Raleigh Sprite waiting near the repair zone. After selecting a few items I went back to see it again. By then the owner and a mechanic (kinda hipsterish, with an oiled and curled handlebar moustache, and model-quality hairstyling) were bent over it, and it was clear that they couldn't figure out something about the front hub. I asked, "Is it binding?" The mechanic said yes. so I said, "Old Raleigh hubs have an unusual setup with a fixed cone on one side. That needs to be on the right side, or the other cone will just tighten itself up. Pull the wheel and you'll see one side won't have wrench flats." The mechanic had a look of amazement - he'd never heard of suchlike. I joined my wife to render an opinion on some gloves she was trying on, and then checked back at the shop - the wheel was off, the mechanic affirmed his new lesson, and the owner thanked me. My work there was done!

Bravo, Bravo!

it must have made your day right in the middle of a vacation.

ascherer 06-03-16 05:02 PM


Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18819389)
Bravo, Bravo!

it must have made your day right in the middle of a vacation.

Yeah, I said to my wife that sometimes being a geezer is good.

Gasbag 06-03-16 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18819240)
This ad for a 1962 Raleigh Superbe is interesting as it suggests that the Dynohub can be put to use to provide lighting in a fall-out shelter...

https://threespeedmania.files.wordpr...62-superbe.jpg

Of course, that would require having the good sense to build your fall-out shelter like the wall of death

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=525226


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.