Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 07-31-20 01:01 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21616880)
Are you battling flat eartherism? :foo:

No sense in trying to reason with those idiots.

Anyone with half a brain can see that the Earth is round.

The ley line intersections on which aliens built the Great Pyramids, Stonehenge, and Chichen Itza don't work on a flat Earth.

Obviously.

phrantic09 07-31-20 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21617221)
No sense in trying to reason with those idiots.

Anyone with half a brain can see that the Earth is round.

The ley line intersections on which aliens built the Great Pyramids, Stonehenge, and Chichen Itza don't work on a flat Earth.

Obviously.

Thereís a great documentary about Flat Eartherís on Netflix

genejockey 07-31-20 01:21 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21617231)
Thereís a great documentary about Flat Eartherís on Netflix

I still find it difficult to believe that there are adults who think the Earth is flat. I think "Flat Earth Cosmologists" who try to come up with explanations for all the observed phenomena are just putting us on. The mental gymnastics you have to do in order to make even half of it work are just ridiculous. I mean, there's literally no way to make sense of something as simple as sunrise and sunset. Or gravity.

LAJ 07-31-20 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21617252)
I still find it difficult to believe that there are adults who think the Earth is flat. I think "Flat Earth Cosmologists" who try to come up with explanations for all the observed phenomena are just putting us on. The mental gymnastics you have to do in order to make even half of it work are just ridiculous. I mean, there's literally no way to make sense of something as simple as sunrise and sunset. Or gravity.

I can't tell if the earth is round, but I climb enough hills to know it's certainly not flat.

Geesh.

LesterOfPuppets 07-31-20 02:04 PM

Pretty sweet goat jersey. Must be a tri goat with the sleevelessness.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1714cc399b.png

LesterOfPuppets 07-31-20 02:13 PM

Tempe rail bridge update. They're already doing work on the truss, possibly part of the inspection process. Kinda surprised they're even doing that with railcars still on the structure.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...85e7bdbc35.jpg

Velo Vol 07-31-20 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21617260)
I can't tell if the earth is round, but I climb enough hills to know it's certainly not flat.

Geesh.

Sounds like you need more beetroot.

datlas 07-31-20 02:28 PM

Oh, the joys of having an 18 year old daughter. She was driving my wife's minivan home from her BF's house and overcooked a turn, hit a stump/log that was just off from the edge of the road (I know the turn, I ride by it frequently on my bike) and popped the front tire and bent the rim. Had to make call of shame to a tow truck. I am going home to put on the spare tire and hope we can get a new rim/tire locally.

Thankfully, she is ok.

#DamnKids

MoAlpha 07-31-20 02:47 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21617382)
Oh, the joys of having an 18 year old daughter. She was driving my wife's minivan home from her BF's house and overcooked a turn, hit a stump/log that was just off from the edge of the road (I know the turn, I ride by it frequently on my bike) and popped the front tire and bent the rim. Had to make call of shame to a tow truck. I am going home to put on the spare tire and hope we can get a new rim/tire locally.

Thankfully, she is ok.

#DamnKids

Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. Glad it wasn't worse!

WhyFi 07-31-20 03:03 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21617382)
Oh, the joys of having an 18 year old daughter. She was driving my wife's minivan home from her BF's house and overcooked a turn, hit a stump/log that was just off from the edge of the road (I know the turn, I ride by it frequently on my bike) and popped the front tire and bent the rim. Had to make call of shame to a tow truck. I am going home to put on the spare tire and hope we can get a new rim/tire locally.

Thankfully, she is ok.

#DamnKids

That's coming out of her allowance, right?

MoAlpha 07-31-20 03:10 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21617434)
That's coming out of her allowance, right?

Our daughter did a fair amount of car damage when she was learning, including driving through the garage forward and backing out with the door down. For better or worse, I don't think we charged her

Trsnrtr 07-31-20 03:19 PM

My son wrecked a few and to be honest, so did I when I was young.

Glad she is ok.

kissTheApex 07-31-20 03:21 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21617382)
Oh, the joys of having an 18 year old daughter. She was driving my wife's minivan home from her BF's house and overcooked a turn, hit a stump/log that was just off from the edge of the road (I know the turn, I ride by it frequently on my bike) and popped the front tire and bent the rim. Had to make call of shame to a tow truck. I am going home to put on the spare tire and hope we can get a new rim/tire locally.

Thankfully, she is ok.

#DamnKids

Glad sheís ok.

big john 07-31-20 03:30 PM

I had 6 siblings and we all had to buy our own cars but did get limited use of Dad's cars, especially the other three brothers while they were home from military deployments. Oldest brother caved in the door on Dad's 62 Buick when he turned too sharp into the garage and then later burned down the rear seat when he threw a cigarette out and it flew into the rear seat. Someone in the house smelled smoke and found it smoldering in the garage.
I think those were the only times any of the kids messed up Daddy's ride.

Trsnrtr 07-31-20 03:30 PM

So, my SRAM eTap rear derailleur started acting up a month or so ago. First, when cornering hard to the right, the chain would shift up and then drop back down after completing the turn. With no cables or anything, I was totally puzzled. Then, about a week ago, the chain started jumping off the lower pulley occasionally. That confused me, too, but I’m easily confused anyway. Today, it started doing it continuously. I finally realized the teeth were looking pretty short. No problem, I happened to have a spare from a destroyed SRAM Red. Same pulley.

I like to keep spares of things that fail so I go online and the pair of jockey wheels are ~$130. WTF? Turns out they have ceramic bearings. I guess it’s too much to ask for a $500 derailleur to have $20 jockey wheels. :rolleyes:

WhyFi 07-31-20 03:37 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21617446)
Our daughter did a fair amount of car damage when she was learning, including driving through the garage forward and backing out with the door down. For better or worse, I don't think we charged her

But you're not as tightfisted as datlas :innocent:


;)

seedsbelize 07-31-20 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21617382)
Oh, the joys of having an 18 year old daughter. She was driving my wife's minivan home from her BF's house and overcooked a turn, hit a stump/log that was just off from the edge of the road (I know the turn, I ride by it frequently on my bike) and popped the front tire and bent the rim. Had to make call of shame to a tow truck. I am going home to put on the spare tire and hope we can get a new rim/tire locally.

Thankfully, she is ok.

#DamnKids

Live and learn

Velo Vol 07-31-20 03:52 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21617382)

Don't let her drive the Saturn!

datlas 07-31-20 04:07 PM

Came home and jacked up the car. Can’t change the tire, it’s wedged in the wheel well. Strut is bent or busted. Sad!

WhyFi 07-31-20 04:11 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21617524)
Came home and jacked up the car. Canít change the tire, itís wedged in the wheel well. Strut is bent or busted. Sad!

:(

Bah Humbug 07-31-20 04:18 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21617476)
So, my SRAM eTap rear derailleur started acting up a month or so ago. First, when cornering hard to the right, the chain would shift up and then drop back down after completing the turn. With no cables or anything, I was totally puzzled. Then, about a week ago, the chain started jumping off the lower pulley occasionally. That confused me, too, but Iím easily confused anyway. Today, it started doing it continuously. I finally realized the teeth were looking pretty short. No problem, I happened to have a spare from a destroyed SRAM Red. Same pulley.

I like to keep spares of things that fail so I go online and the pair of jockey wheels are ~$130. WTF? Turns out they have ceramic bearings. I guess itís too much to ask for a $500 derailleur to have $20 jockey wheels. :rolleyes:

Does it have to use the OEM jockey wheels? Maybe see if the Force ones work?

Trsnrtr 07-31-20 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21617539)
Does it have to use the OEM jockey wheels? Maybe see if the Force ones work?

Don't know. I have a couple other SRAM derailleurs in bins and they do have different style pulleys. Also, the upper and lower pulleys are evidently different in some way because they're marked that way. Regardless, I've got more money than brains so I ordered an OEM set.

big john 07-31-20 04:25 PM

I don't think I've ever worn out a jockey pulley on a road bike.

MoAlpha 07-31-20 04:39 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21617524)
Came home and jacked up the car. Canít change the tire, itís wedged in the wheel well. Strut is bent or busted. Sad!

Do you have collision on that vehicle?

datlas 07-31-20 04:45 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21617504)
Don't let her drive the Saturn!

Only I can drive the Saturn. Itís got a stick shift/clutch. I tried to teach mrs datlas and the girls but it was fail.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.