Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Mojo31 08-30-22 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22629664)
Yep. There has been some buzz about the new SRAM drivetrain on a MTB forum I frequent, starting last week when the top riders' bikes started showing up in the pits in Les Gets. My concern is the potential for frame damage if the derailleur gets torn off. The reason that the bike industry went to replaceable hangers was that they are sacrificial.

Sacrificial makes a lot of sense when the choice is a $10 DR hanger or a new frame.

genejockey 08-30-22 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22629368)
Also, fair goers are fat. Shocking.

There's a lot of that going around. Mrs. GeneJockey heard last night that a friend of hers from college had died of a heart attack, and wanted to let another friend know. The friend she wanted to contact was someone who, now I think about it, Mrs. GJ had not been in touch with for probably 35 years. She managed to find her professional page (she's a lawyer) and maybe FB, and ..... wow. This woman weighed 1 1/2 to 2 times as much as she did in her late 20s. I would not have recognized her from the pictures, though knowing it was her I could see who it was. Kinda.

datlas 08-30-22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22629664)
Yep. There has been some buzz about the new SRAM drivetrain on a MTB forum I frequent, starting last week when the top riders' bikes started showing up in the pits in Les Gets. My concern is the potential for frame damage if the derailleur gets torn off. The reason that the bike industry went to replaceable hangers was that they are sacrificial.

My original Ultegra 6700 got literally ripped off the frame when the defective CN-6700 broke/twisted (note that's why they came out with the CN 6701).

Luckily the Habanero has beefy Ti dropouts and integrated hanger, so no frame damage and no need for sacrificial hanger. Shimano tacitly accepted fault and gave me a new RD and chain under warranty.

genejockey 08-30-22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22629349)
My wife and I had always planned to move from our suburban 1 acre 4BR3BA 2500SF home to an in-town 3BR1.5BA 1500SF home close to work so we could downsize to 1 car and I could walk/bike to work.

But real estate in West Chester, PA (where I work and the county seat of Chester county) is crazy so that downsize-move is postponed indefinitely.

Mrs. GeneJockey seems to be looking at houses larger than our current house at this point. Our house is about 1600 sq ft, 3BR/2BA, but she sees these 2000 sq ft 4BR2BA places for a small fraction of what our house should bring. She's looking at "Craftsman" style places, but, you know, we've live 26 years in a Midcentury Ranch. So either it's time for a change, or it isn't. Since we hope to have a few more years before we have to jump, I hope she'll calm down a bit.

As luck would have it, the last house my Grandparents lived in before The Home is up for sale. It is SMALL, about half our square footage. 2BR1BA in less than 800 sq ft. I remember it being small, and I was a little guy at the time! The kitchen is miniscule, the dining room part of the "open plan" LR/DR is barely large enough for 2. But the thing I really noticed was the windows. They're like Archer Slits in a castle. Very narrow! I remember the LR being really dark, and now I know why. I sent the listing to my siblings who told me something I didn't know about the place - before Pap and Gran lived there, my Aunt and Uncle lived there with at least 2 of their eventually 3 children! That I cannot imagine!

Mojo31 08-30-22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629778)
Mrs. GeneJockey seems to be looking at houses larger than our current house at this point. Our house is about 1600 sq ft, 3BR/2BA, but she sees these 2000 sq ft 4BR2BA places for a small fraction of what our house should bring. She's looking at "Craftsman" style places, but, you know, we've live 26 years in a Midcentury Ranch. So either it's time for a change, or it isn't. Since we hope to have a few more years before we have to jump, I hope she'll calm down a bit.

As luck would have it, the last house my Grandparents lived in before The Home is up for sale. It is SMALL, about half our square footage. 2BR1BA in less than 800 sq ft. I remember it being small, and I was a little guy at the time! The kitchen is miniscule, the dining room part of the "open plan" LR/DR is barely large enough for 2. But the thing I really noticed was the windows. They're like Archer Slits in a castle. Very narrow! I remember the LR being really dark, and now I know why. I sent the listing to my siblings who told me something I didn't know about the place - before Pap and Gran lived there, my Aunt and Uncle lived there with at least 2 of their eventually 3 children! That I cannot imagine!

People from your neck of the woods are moving here and using cash acquired from selling the 1500' Cali place to buy a 3,000-5,000' place for all cash! Pool included.

genejockey 08-30-22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629853)
People from your neck of the woods are moving here and using cash acquired from selling the 1500' Cali place to buy a 3,000-5,000' place for all cash! Pool included.

Yeah, we figure on being Equity Pirates wherever we move. I know some folks get upset about that, so hopefully my nonspecific Mid Atlantic States accent will disguise that we're from CA.

Mojo31 08-30-22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629861)
Yeah, we figure on being Equity Pirates wherever we move. I know some folks get upset about that, so hopefully my nonspecific Mid Atlantic States accent will disguise that we're from CA.

Nothing wrong with spending what you got, regardless of how you got it. It's just payback for living in a high cost place all those years.

Mojo31 08-30-22 02:00 PM

Shopping for tux shoes. Will I be cool wearing these walking down the aisle with my daughter?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4dbe4099cd.png

Sora level Louis Vuitton. Go well with a high-vis jersey in lieu of pleated shirt.

genejockey 08-30-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629868)
Nothing wrong with spending what you got, regardless of how you got it. It's just payback for living in a high cost place all those years.

And if I hit the lottery, I wouldn't leave till I was carried out with a toe tag.

Hmmm. Maybe I should actually PLAY the lottery. It might improve my chances a little.

genejockey 08-30-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629883)
Shopping for tux shoes. Will I be cool wearing these walking down the aisle with my daughter?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4dbe4099cd.png

Sora level Louis Vuitton. Go well with a high-vis jersey in lieu of pleated shirt.

WT Actual F?

WRT the shirt - not just pleated. RUFFLED.

Mojo31 08-30-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629886)
And if I hit the lottery, I wouldn't leave till I was carried out with a toe tag.

Hmmm. Maybe I should actually PLAY the lottery. It might improve my chances a little.

Chances are the same no matter how much you play.

Mojo31 08-30-22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629887)
WT Actual F?

Yep, searching for tux shoes and those turned up. $1,300 to boot.

I'm more in the market to spend less. I found a pair of shoes at Dillard's that I just ordered for $80. They look very much the same, except they do not have the hi-vis accents. I'll just have to slum it.

Mojo31 08-30-22 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629887)
WT Actual F?

WRT the shirt - not just pleated. RUFFLED.

Goes without saying.

datlas 08-30-22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629898)
Goes without saying.

Like this?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...51eebe2f20.jpg

genejockey 08-30-22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629888)
Chances are the same no matter how much you play.

Sure, if you buy 2 tickets with the same numbers. But if you buy 2 Powerball tickets with different sets of numbers, your odds go from 1 in 292,201,338 to 1 in 146,100,669!

(I wonder if there's anyone dumb enough to do that - buy TWO tickets with the same numbers? I mean, I COULD NOT convince my MIL that if she played the same numbers ever week, her chances did not increase incrementally each week that they didn't win. And she taught school! Sure, it was only 2nd Grade, but still.)

genejockey 08-30-22 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629898)
Goes without saying.

A friend in high school went hog wild renting his tux for the Prom. Powder blue, wide, wide satin lapels, ruffled shirt with ruffled cuffs, enormous blue velvet bow tie. It went with his mid-70s long hair and sideburns.

Mojo31 08-30-22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22629926)

Like this to go with the shoes!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...81f07339d3.jpg

genejockey 08-30-22 02:46 PM

My eyes!!!

bampilot06 08-30-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22629926)

this exactly what I was thinking when I saw those shoes.

bampilot06 08-30-22 03:09 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f4d7704f3.png

Thank god for delta. Got done in New York at 930 am this morning. Miss my flight home and the next one wasn’t until this afternoon. Ran outside to the delta terminal and got on. If not I would prolly be stuck in New York tonight.

Commuting is fun.

Mojo31 08-30-22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629939)
My eyes!!!

Are you saying that is not appropriate for a cyclist?

I can't think of anything more appropriate!

Mojo31 08-30-22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629933)
A friend in high school went hog wild renting his tux for the Prom. Powder blue, wide, wide satin lapels, ruffled shirt with ruffled cuffs, enormous blue velvet bow tie. It went with his mid-70s long hair and sideburns.

I worked in a tux rental shop in the late '70s. I'm familiar with that look as well as many more. :lol:

big john 08-30-22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22629368)
After a day of walking around the fair, I've accepted that I like the idea of fair food more than the reality of fair food. First, the value sucks all the way around - I've always known that, but it's worse than ever, now. Then there's the question of whether or not the stuff is worth the calories, which is almost always a hard "no" for me, these days, too. And let's not forget the indigestion cost - oof. It's often high (I overheard some college age kid, in an "extreme" voiceover voice say "The MN State Fair - punish your toilet!!!" He's got a point, there :twitchy:).

In the end, I got back home hungry for something substantial, because I didn't have much and a lot of the stuff that I did have was sugar/fat/carbs with some nostalgia value (helllllo, mini donuts).

Also, fair goers are fat. Shocking.

In the 90s I lived in a small community in the mountains and they had a small fair every year. It started with 4 skydivers dropping in. One of them had his shoe come off when the chute opened. It was so weird looking up and seeing that shoe spinning and then landing in the street with a loud slap.

Anyway I pigged out on fair food including a funnel cake the size of a Frisbee. A big Frisbee.

genejockey 08-30-22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22629990)
Are you saying that is not appropriate for a cyclist?

I can't think of anything more appropriate!

Are you kidding? Those ruffles will cost you at least 25 w at 30 kph!

Mojo31 08-30-22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22629998)
Are you kidding? Those ruffles will cost you at least 25 w at 30 kph!

No matter while walking down the aisle. I can't walk at 30 kph. Maybe 2 kph with my daughter in tow.