Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hi could anyone suggest a good sunglasses (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1106732)

Garywithairp 05-04-17 07:04 PM

Hi could anyone suggest a good sunglasses

Hi guys, I had a cheap brand sunglasses from Amazon, the effect is worse than I thought.
My budge is 50 to 80 dollars, this summer i really want to buy myself a good present.
Can someone suggest your favorite sunglasses beside Oakley and Nike.
not that i don't like them, it's just price is too high.

Thx

DrIsotope 05-04-17 07:15 PM

Tifosi has a lot of options in that price range. Tifosi Sunglasses for Bike/Run

sunvalleylaw 05-04-17 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Garywithairp (Post 19561032)
Hi guys, I had a cheap brand sunglasses from Amazon, the effect is worse than I thought.
My budge is 50 to 80 dollars, this summer i really want to buy myself a good present.

Thx

I like Smith Pivloks. Interchangeable lenses, great for riding. You should be able to find some on sale somewhere within your range.

John_V 05-05-17 05:25 AM

Again, look at Tifosi. Almost all of their models have interchangeable lenses that come with the sunglasses and some have photochromatic (transition) lenses. Most of their sunglasses fall below the $80.00 mark. I have had one of their photochromatic lens models for about three years now and they are nice and light and change shades quickly. Also, Tifosi has two partner websites where you can purchase extra/replacement lenses and other parts. Depending on the manufacturer, trying to get replacement lenses and parts can be a real PITA.

ptempel 05-05-17 08:15 AM

I like the Uvex Genesis glassis I bought on-line. Thanks to a recommendation from @joeyduck a while ago. Here's an older thread talking about some sunglasses:

http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...e-glasses.html

Shimagnolo 05-05-17 08:24 AM

I've had other Tifosi's in the past, but this one is far and away superior to any other:
Podium XC | Silver/Gunmetal Light Night Fototec - Tifosi Optics

("Light Night Fototec" is Tifosi's marketing-speak for "photochromic".)

The one-piece lens extends high enough that even down in the drops, I never get wind coming over the top of the frame at the bridge of the nose, which was a problem with other sunglasses. Also, no matter how far up I am looking, I cannot see the upper edge of the lens.

sunvalleylaw 05-05-17 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw (Post 19561081)
I like Smith Pivloks. Interchangeable lenses, great for riding. You should be able to find some on sale somewhere within your range.

This place has pivlocks for 55-63 bucks.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

And here is the pivlock v2 I personally like.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

MRT2 05-05-17 09:28 AM

Tifosi. About $70 locally, about half that if you buy online. I have two pair, at this point see no reason to go with anything else.

Bikedud 05-05-17 10:06 AM

Another Tifosi aficionado. I especially like the transition lenses for road cycling and the clear lenses for mountain biking. My experience is that they also provide excellent customer service.

Shimagnolo- FYI- Podium lenses have a history of cracking just above the nose bridge due to repeated spreading as they are taken on/off.

indyfabz 05-05-17 10:47 AM

And if you need a little reading help, Tifosi makes glasses with a magnification strip built in to the bottom of the lens.

BlazingPedals 05-05-17 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Garywithairp (Post 19561032)

Thx

I'm curious what "the effect" is that's worse than you thought. I use cheap sunglasses almost exclusively, and while I've gotten one or two losers, for the most part the only difference I saw was that the Oakley lenses were a lot thicker.

caloso 05-05-17 11:45 AM

Another vote for Smith Pivlocks.

ramzilla 05-05-17 02:36 PM

UVEX - scores of different styles. Very low prices. It's a no brainer.

MRT2 05-06-17 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 19562534)
I'm curious what "the effect" is that's worse than you thought. I use cheap sunglasses almost exclusively, and while I've gotten one or two losers, for the most part the only difference I saw was that the Oakley lenses were a lot thicker.

Having cycled for years with cheapies and now making the transition up to more moderately priced sunglasses, I can say the difference is in fit, quality of the lenses, and fogging up. The cheapies were hit or miss on the bike. A pair of sunglasses that might have been fine for driving or general use might constantly slip off my face when on the bike. The lens quality became apparent when I bought my first Tifosi glasses and did an A/B with my previous Nashbar glasses. The lenses on the Nashbar glasses distorted. Finally, the cheaper sunglasses tended to fog up, so I was constantly having to take them off and wipe them off. The Tifosi doesn't do that.

Shimagnolo 05-06-17 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bikedud (Post 19562258)
Another Tifosi aficionado. I especially like the transition lenses for road cycling and the clear lenses for mountain biking. My experience is that they also provide excellent customer service.

Shimagnolo- FYI- Podium lenses have a history of cracking just above the nose bridge due to repeated spreading as they are taken on/off.

An FYI on the Tifosi warranty:
Their warranty states that there is a $15 fee to send in defective sunglasses to get a replacement.
It also states that if the ones you are sending in are no longer in production, they can substitute a current model.

Now here is what happened when I used it:
I sent in a years-old pair that had begun cracking at the corners of the lenses. This pair had the conventional type of frame, and was no longer being produced. Upon receiving it, they sent me an email stating that since it was not a current model, instead of sending a replacement, they were providing a 50% discount coupon code for http://www.sibasports.com/. They did not put the $15 charge on my CC.

So that was how I acquired the Podium XC.

Slightspeed 05-06-17 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got these at Lenscrafters. They are made by Liberty and are my second pair. I had a pair of wire frame Carreras that I really liked, but did a faceplant crash on pavement and they cut what was left of my face, one cut was 1/4" from my eye socket. So I went to plastic frames. They are light, durable, seem to "breath" as good as most others I've tried. You can Google them at Liberty. These are a bronze finish, my others were black. I have dark lenses with progressive trifocals. Don't leave home without them.

fietsbob 05-06-17 12:54 PM

My Good ones: Vuarnet , Found, (don't recall where) and Found by a dark public Bathroom sink, Foster Grant

Bikedud 05-07-17 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 19564294)
An FYI on the Tifosi warranty:
Their warranty states that there is a $15 fee to send in defective sunglasses to get a replacement.
It also states that if the ones you are sending in are no longer in production, they can substitute a current model.

I sent in a years-old pair that had begun cracking at the corners of the lenses. This pair had the conventional type of frame, and was no longer being produced. Upon receiving it, they sent me an email stating that since it was not a current model, instead of sending a replacement, they were providing a 50% discount coupon code for http://www.sibasports.com/. They did not put the $15 charge on my CC.

So that was how I acquired the Podium XC.

I work at a bike shop so my history of dealing with Tifosi is from the dealer's perspective. I call them periodically to order, exchange dead stock, and take care of customer's warranty issues. They have always been easy to work with and very supportive. I also wear Tifosi glasses in all my outdoor adventures, my current favorites are the Crit Fototec and Lore Tactical. While I think their warranty procedures make it simple and straight forward for the consumer to take care of any issues, I always recommend that you let your dealer handle any warranty issues if that is an option for you.

Podiums are wonderful glasses, I've worn them for years and I'm confident that you will enjoy yours.

skids929 05-07-17 07:20 AM

Tifosi...Just got a set with the lenses that change color. They change the way I ride. I feel safer and my ride is more enjoyable overall and they look good too.

Garywithairp 05-07-17 07:10 PM

Amazon aren't totally bad

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 19562534)

Well, they are not totally bad, it's just i got one of the sunglasses, their polarized lens is shaky. The screw of the adjustable nose pad didn't get in right. They are medium light, and their nose pad is very thin.
Sometime when the wind blows on my face, the lens will be pushed close to my eyes.

I got it like 30 bucks, i guess you get what you paid for. Thx for all the suggestion.

Garywithairp 05-07-17 07:15 PM

Wow TIFOSI is amazing

I sent in a years-old pair that had begun cracking at the corners of the lenses. This pair had the conventional type of frame, and was no longer being produced. Upon receiving it, they sent me an email stating that since it was not a current model, instead of sending a replacement, they were providing a 50% discount coupon code for . They did not put the $15 charge on my CC.

Wow that's amazing, what have I been missing, I gotta get TOFOSI.

oldschool56 05-07-17 07:25 PM

About one year ago I purchased some cycling sunglasses from Dual Eye wear and have been very satisfied with them. I have a pair with reader lenses allowing me to see my computer screen very clearly. The cost was $40.00. The lenses, however are not polarized but I believe they offer some that are. The website is dualeyewear.com.

TheLastOfUs 05-07-17 07:38 PM

I just wear Raybans but not cycling sunglasses :)

Garywithairp 05-07-17 08:13 PM

Thx for all great suggestions

Hi guys
Thank you for all of your great comments, and helping me to save the budget.
Thx again.

Hiro11 05-07-17 10:24 PM

5 pairs of safety glasses. You can get good polarized ones for $10 these days, there are literally thousands of options. They work great.