Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

markk900 03-19-22 12:19 PM

gster : those seat stays are kinda unique - the way they are welded onto the lug/dropout.....

gster 03-19-22 02:12 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 22444083)
gster : those seat stays are kinda unique - the way they are welded onto the lug/dropout.....

Yes...all in all quite a mystery.
It could also be a Canadian built SCP bike
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e64077b947.jpg
Similar colour scheme..
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...43560f636d.jpg
Here's a SCP 3 speed with similar geometry

vintagebicycle 03-19-22 04:39 PM

'Gold Medal' was a trademark of D.P. Harris in New York, (Rollfast). I think I've got a badge here somewhere that I took off a 24" ladies model years ago that had a bent frame. It looked a lot like the one with the basket in your pic above. Possibly Gold Medal was a badge they put on bikes from other sources besides Snyder?
The badge I took off it was the same profile and shape as an early prewar Rollfast badge. The bike had no decals on it, just some paint graphics. The fenders, rims, and chainguard were aluminum. It had Westrick pattern wheels in 24x1 3/8". The rims were odd in that they had small holes drilled all along each edge about every inch.
It had a super ornate chainguard, the fenders were the same shape as those in the pic above, it had glass reflector pedals with 1/2" threads, and the strangest of all was the bars and grips. The bars were 1" clamp and bars, as were the grips, which were red to match the bike, but they were molded similar to those that came on 60's and 70's Columbia three speeds. The grips were originally red but had been sun bleached to a white/pink color. The rear hub was a 28h Durex which looked out of place. The rear fender had lacing holes for a skirt guard.

The bike had been out of commission for a long time when I got it via clean out in the late 90's. I stripped it for its parts, sold what I couldn't use and kept the badge, pedals, and the bars. The saddle was a messinger model, it looked the same as what was used on most Schwinn middleweight bikes but without the trademark 'S'. It also had a chrome grab rail around the rear.

gster 03-20-22 09:00 AM

It's also possible that this is not a factory built bike.
-British brakes/forks and gears
-Phillips pedals
-German front hub
-Unbranded rims
-Unbranded chainring
It's hard to see in the photo but the top tube is not quite
parallel to the ground.
The bike also has an untapped oil port on the BB....
Perhaps it was a custom build for a serious rider in the mid 1950's.

-

thumpism 03-20-22 04:49 PM

Nice looking ladies' Sports for $100 in MI.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...84578433182643

https://scontent.fric1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...Tw&oe=623BFC47

bazil4696 03-20-22 06:22 PM

Gster, where did you get tires for your EA1 rims?
I've got a 1952 Claud Butler tandem with 26 x 1 1/4 EA1 Dunlop rims, and I'm nervous about spare tires.
I'd also consider grabbing another 40 hole Dunlop EA1 rim, because I've got a NOS 40H Sturmey Archer AB hub I'd respoke and hang it on the tandem along with the original Cyclo gears to make a 9 speed hybrid.

gster 03-21-22 05:15 PM

From Amazon.
You want to look for
Kenda
K23
26 x 1-3/8 x 1-1/4 (ETRTO 37-597) I kept the label.
Also called an S-6
An odd size but they still make them for older Scwinn bikes
I recall they were quite reasonable and fit nicely.
Speaking of.tires,..
I was at Candian Tire today and saw a basic 26 x 1-3/8
tire for $28.99!!!
Last time I bought one (pre covid) they were $15.00!!!!

..

gster 03-21-22 06:22 PM

I just saw Walmart Canada had them online for...
$91.00
Must be a supply chain issue......

thumpism 03-21-22 07:47 PM

FREE Popular FREE Sports Model FREE Sturmey FREE Electric horn FREE in MA. Did I mention...free?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...89432642916102

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...Dg&oe=623D7901

bazil4696 03-21-22 07:54 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22446360)
From Amazon.
You want to look for
Kenda
K23
26 x 1-3/8 x 1-1/4 (ETRTO 37-597) I kept the label.
Also called an S-6
An odd size but they still make them for older Scwinn bikes
I recall they were quite reasonable and fit nicely.
Speaking of.tires,..
I was at Candian Tire today and saw a basic 26 x 1-3/8
tire for $28.99!!!
Last time I bought one (pre covid) they were $15.00!!!!

..

yup. There's a shortage!
Thanks for the link. At least I know I won't be forced to ride one of our other tandems just cause I get a flat.

markk900 03-21-22 08:00 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22446428)
I just saw Walmart Canada had them online for...
$91.00
Must be a supply chain issue......

Or a pricing issue - same tire in US walmart is $25USD (still a lot but....)....and did you notice the $250 delivery charge?

SirMike1983 03-21-22 08:46 PM

Spring has arrived here, and I finally got to start the season today with this 1964 Schwinn Traveler 3 speed.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...1gWliH12=s4032

Alexbaker67 03-22-22 02:23 AM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 22446572)
Spring has arrived here, and I finally got to start the season today with this 1964 Schwinn Traveler 3 speed.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...1gWliH12=s4032

That is such a beautiful bike…

gster 03-22-22 06:51 AM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 22446572)
Spring has arrived here, and I finally got to start the season today with this 1964 Schwinn Traveler 3 speed.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...1gWliH12=s4032

Your Schwinn should have those S-6 (EA-1) tires on it.

SirMike1983 03-22-22 07:38 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22446805)
Your Schwinn should have those S-6 (EA-1) tires on it.

That is right, these are Kenda 37-597 white walls on Schwinn S5 westrick-type rims. The original white walls that came with the bike probably could still be ridden, but they felt kind of dry to me so I put new tires and tubes on the wheels. The Kendas are not great tires, but not bad either. I wish Schwalbe or Michelin would do a white wall in this size.

gster 03-22-22 04:09 PM


Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 22445348)
Gster, where did you get tires for your EA1 rims?
I've got a 1952 Claud Butler tandem with 26 x 1 1/4 EA1 Dunlop rims, and I'm nervous about spare tires.
I'd also consider grabbing another 40 hole Dunlop EA1 rim, because I've got a NOS 40H Sturmey Archer AB hub I'd respoke and hang it on the tandem along with the original Cyclo gears to make a 9 speed hybrid.

I bought a vintage Cyclo recently for the same purpose.
Sadly, the main hanger is bent and I haven't gotten around to fixing it

1989Pre 03-23-22 12:35 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22447542)
I bought a vintage Cyclo recently for the same purpose.
Sadly, the main hanger is bent and I haven't gotten around to fixing it

Cyclo Benelux Mk7?

1989Pre 03-23-22 12:47 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1696b50b63.jpg
swampyankee2, the bike looks great. Not sure about how to bring the finish on your spokes back to new, but I would be interested to find out!
Did you say the bike has been in a damp cellar for thirty years? The B72 saddle looks pristine.

gster 03-23-22 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by 1989Pre (Post 22448477)
Cyclo Benelux Mk7?

Yes.
Mark 7
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...95a55b8e79.jpg
Stock photo.
Mine is missing the badge.

gster 03-23-22 12:55 PM

I actually haven't tried fitting it to a bike.
Perhaps it's not bent....
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...074e24038a.gif

1989Pre 03-23-22 12:58 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22448504)
I actually haven't tried fitting it to a bike.
Perhaps it's not bent....

Oh. Ok, well.., if you need a claw, I have an extra one. It's the proper Benelux, NOS.

198

gster 03-23-22 02:19 PM

Thanksfor the offer
You got me thinking about it...
I did a "dry" fit to an old 3 speed that has a double sprocket.
Perhaps it's not bent...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c85134ab2e.jpg
I need to open up the dropout a bit the receive the locking nut but it seems reasonably inline....
I reefed on it a bit and the cogs seem to be in line with the chain.
I think the cogs are 17T and 21T.
Another project.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6ec232893f.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e4a539f12.jpg
The cogs look a bit askew in this photo (before reefing)
Derailleurs are not reallly my thing....
We'll see how it plays out..

gster 03-23-22 02:30 PM


Originally Posted by bazil4696 (Post 22445348)
Gster, where did you get tires for your EA1 rims?
I've got a 1952 Claud Butler tandem with 26 x 1 1/4 EA1 Dunlop rims, and I'm nervous about spare tires.
I'd also consider grabbing another 40 hole Dunlop EA1 rim, because I've got a NOS 40H Sturmey Archer AB hub I'd respoke and hang it on the tandem along with the original Cyclo gears to make a 9 speed hybrid.

Bazil, Could you please post some photos of your Cyclo project?
I remember it from a few years back.
I'd like see how you routed the cable plus a general refresher before I proceed.
THX!

gster 03-23-22 04:09 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 22446524)
Or a pricing issue - same tire in US walmart is $25USD (still a lot but....)....and did you notice the $250 delivery charge?

These guys seem to have them in stock

https://www.bicyclebuys.com/26x13-8-.../26X138BWTI-S6

gster 03-24-22 02:36 PM


Originally Posted by 1989Pre (Post 22448509)
Oh. Ok, well.., if you need a claw, I have an extra one. It's the proper Benelux, NOS.

198

Could you post a picture of it, please?
It would help me to determine if mine is,in fact, bent.
Thx
Greg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.