Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

tbo 04-28-17 07:49 AM

What's the difference in weight between the ANT and the Raleigh?

agmetal 04-28-17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by tbo (Post 19544273)
What's the difference in weight between the ANT and the Raleigh?

Couldn't tell you offhand, I don't have a good way to weigh them.

Velocivixen 04-28-17 07:15 PM

Why is it we love and revive these quirky 3-speeds. I finished putting my Raleigh Twenty back together - mostly rear fender, rack, chain guard. I got new anti rotation washers and indicator pin and it shifts like a champ now.
I noticed I actually enjoyed re-adjusting the hub and noticed great satisfaction when I got it just right. Yet these things have Whitworth threading and all sorts of other esoteric idiosyncrasies.

Question: when I pedal the left pedal spindle feels crooked or something. I replaced the cotters with ones from The Gentleman Cyclist ? Site and didn't file them. If one cotter is at a different angle would my pedal feel crooked?

3speedslow 04-28-17 07:17 PM

I believe the angles on both cotter have to be the same or very close.

Velocivixen 04-28-17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19545837)
I believe the angles on both cotter have to be the same or very close.

Yes, they were both brand new cotters and I simply installed, using a real life Park Tool Cotter Press. :eek: So angles should be the same. Maybe one is in farther than the other?

clubman 04-28-17 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 19545841)
Yes, they were both brand new cotters and I simply installed, using a real life Park Tool Cotter Press. :eek: So angles should be the same. Maybe one is in farther than the other?

Usually it's a pedal spindle or some kind of crank arm distortion.Swap in another known good pair of pedals. Still bad? Look at crank arms and pedal drillings. Lastly, revisit cotter install. Sometimes the cotter goes in with a slight rotation and yet appears to be seated right. Pull them and try again, even rotate sides.

BigChief 04-28-17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19545977)
Usually it's a pedal spindle or some kind of crank arm distortion.Swap in another known good pair of pedals. Still bad? Look at crank arms and pedal drillings. Lastly, revisit cotter install. Sometimes the cotter goes in with a slight rotation and yet appears to be seated right. Pull them and try again, even rotate sides.

I agree. Now that I think of it, so far, every case of pedal wobble I've had was caused by bent crank arms. Haven't had a case of bent pedal spindles yet. But the test for either one is to put a bubble level lengthwise along the pedal and rotate the crank and check to see if there's any difference between up and down.

Velocivixen 04-28-17 09:05 PM

Those are some great ideas! I'll try them all. This was my $60 trashed R20, so who knows? Good as new now....except for pedal..

gster 04-29-17 06:57 AM

Raleigh

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a very clean Coffee Sports that I'm hoping to have a look at today. reasonable price.

BigChief 04-29-17 07:37 AM

That's an especially nice one. Good luck.

markk900 04-30-17 05:54 AM

@Velocivixen: also check that the pedal in question is threaded on straight. If someone had cross threaded a pedal in the past you might have picked up the wrong set of threads. Easiest check is whether the base of the pedal spindle is even against the crank when fully tight. Had this problem on my old CCM and I have to be very careful to get the pedal threads started correctly.

gster 04-30-17 06:27 AM

OT My "Scorcher"

2 Attachment(s)
I learned from another site that it's polite to preface an Off Topic post with "OT".
My Bitsa Scorcher.
The Black Bomber
-Raleigh 10 speed frame (free)
-Swapped out Raleigh 3 speed bottom bracket
-Painted flat black
-Rear hub is a Bayliss Wiley single speed coaster brake laced to a 28" British Westrick rim
-Front wheel is a 28" Canadian rim (different tire size)
-Inverted bars with a scavenged Raleigh front caliper brake for saftey
-Saddle is a leather Wrights
-new chain and tires
Good info on Bayliss Wiley:
http://www.ebykr.com/2007/11/03/bayl...tent-presence/

Velocivixen 04-30-17 09:22 AM

@gster- what a simply elegant bike! Thank you, too, for the article. How did you come upon this hub? Did you overhaul or otherwise take it apart?

gster 04-30-17 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 19548393)
@gster- what a simply elegant bike! Thank you, too, for the article. How did you come upon this hub? Did you overhaul or otherwise take it apart?

You are most welcome.
Re the hub:
I was visiting George from Parts Unknown here in Toronto looking for some 3 speed parts and saw this wheel in the back. someone had spent some time polishing it up and I had a frame at home in need of wheels. The previous owner had done all the work including a new tire...$35.00! SOLD!
It's not as good as a Duo-matic hub but you can still lock up the back wheel.

BigChief 04-30-17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19548075)
I learned from another site that it's polite to preface an Off Topic post with "OT".
My Bitsa Scorcher.
The Black Bomber
-Raleigh 10 speed frame (free)
-Swapped out Raleigh 3 speed bottom bracket
-Painted flat black
-Rear hub is a Bayliss Wiley single speed coaster brake laced to a 28" British Westrick rim
-Front wheel is a 28" Canadian rim (different tire size)
-Inverted bars with a scavenged Raleigh front caliper brake for saftey
-Saddle is a leather Wrights
-new chain and tires
Good info on Bayliss Wiley:
Bayliss-Wiley: Once Persistent Presence – Ebykr

That's very sharp, I like it. Gives me a boost to get back to my Rudge scorcher. I'm liking this new word. I've needed it for a long time. Remember though. We dont want to be too polite. At least not overtly polite with stuff like OT if we're going to be Scorchers.

clubman 04-30-17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19548489)
You are most welcome.
Re the hub:
I was visiting George from Parts Unknown here in Toronto looking for some 3 speed parts

Please ask George if he's still got the blue Paris-Roubaix rims Warren gave him 12 years ago...I want them back! :cry:

George is the definitive nice guy. He can keep them if he really wants them. :innocent:

Velocivixen 04-30-17 03:29 PM

@gster- did you see the coffee Raleigh? Did you get it?

SirMike1983 04-30-17 06:32 PM

A little hot weather ride time on the FW-equipped Sports.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8shgJEPLW...430_160032.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s-bycSpbS...430_160047.jpg

gster 04-30-17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19549116)
That's very sharp, I like it. Gives me a boost to get back to my Rudge scorcher. I'm liking this new word. I've needed it for a long time. Remember though. We dont want to be too polite. At least not overtly polite with stuff like OT if we're going to be Scorchers.

Never too old for a bit of fun.

gster 04-30-17 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19549135)
Please ask George if he's still got the blue Paris-Roubaix rims Warren gave him 12 years ago...I want them back! :cry:

George is the definitive nice guy. He can keep them if he really wants them. :innocent:

George has be MIA but I think I've tracked him down. Will pass on your message.

gster 04-30-17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 19549149)
@gster- did you see the coffee Raleigh? Did you get it?

Meeting was pushed until Monday. will keep you posted.
G

BigChief 04-30-17 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 19549504)

Beautiful! Calendar quality photos there. I can't get over the roads where you live. Are they all like that? I've never lived anywhere with such perfect pavement.

gster 05-01-17 06:02 AM

Correct and Incorrect Riding Positions

2 Attachment(s)
From the 1880's.....

rhm 05-01-17 06:11 AM

Ha! That's great. Where are those photos from? Interesting that one of them is labeled as "correct," while the other has no such judgement made. I think I would move the handlebar a little farther forward on the "correct" one, maybe move the saddle back a little.

MikeinBuffalo 05-01-17 08:05 AM

Hey guys-

Saw this on CL. Looks pretty grungy but intact. You think it's worth saving? Would be my first real major restoration project.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/6112128852.html

EDIT - emailed the seller. He sold it within 10 minutes of listing it. Oh well.