Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

graywolf 11-03-12 11:33 AM


Originally Posted by jrecoi (Post 14908150)
That hole behind the chainring is for a chaincase, usually they are threaded for a 1/4" Whitworth screw. If you managed to obtain a Raleigh chaincase, you are in luck, you remove the right crank, and fit the chaincase on with the screw, and you are set and in business.

Yellow Jersey sells chaincases that are rather compatible, the only catch is that you'll have to carefully measure and drill out the corresponding hole in the chaincase yourself, oh and do some careful bending to quiet down any rubbing. These can be freely stripped and repainted to match the Huffy's color.

The BB oiler is really useful to anyone who does not want to touch cotters, just add some oil and any gunk that has been building up will flush out. Just don't oil it over carpet! Regularly oiling it will keep the BB very smooth, I opened the BB on my Raleigh Sports, and the bearing surfaces were in NOS condition. The front hub will also have an oiling port, covered in a campagnolo style circlip.

My chaincase from Yellow Jersey had the hole in it.

http://graywolfphoto.com/journal/200...getting-there/

In the second photo you can just see it next to the strap I used to mount my chaincase. In fact that chaincase had the threaded holes for strap mounting and the simple hole for mounting it to the braze in if your bike had it.

I think I was the first one here on BF to report using a YJ chaincase. I was lucky to get a black one that matched my Dunelt pretty closely.

The standard oil in the day (mid-1950's) was #20 auto oil. I keep intending to put oil nipples on my bike. I am trying to make it as much like the Dunelt I had when I was a kid. By 1965 when the one I have now was made they had cheapened it quite a bit. No longer had the gold penstriping, for example, and the oil ports were gone. Of course back then it did not have the alloy rims and the BMX front hub I have on my current one. I really ought to do some updated photos.

Added: You can probably chase that hole out to 1/4x24 SAE from the 1/4x26 Whitworth.

slowtostart 11-03-12 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by flammenwurfer (Post 14898555)
slowtostart: Do you have a close-up or a different angle shot of that rack? It looks like it's a weird shape. The axle bolt and the fender eyelets are very different sizes. I'm not sure how you would switch from one to the other unless there are different sized holes on the rack supports. However, if it's possible I would get it mounted to the eyelets. Taking the back wheel off for flats etc. will be less hassle if you don't have to deal with the rack also.

I've never kept old chains because the ones I come across are always really gummed up. They may be in decent shape under all that gunk but chains are cheap enough that I always just put a new one on.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...psf22d36f1.jpg

We finally had some sunshine. Here's a closer shot of the installation.

Also, I found this little squiggle on the underside of the bottom bracket. Looks a bit like the Specialized "S".
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0ec9e55b.jpg

Juggler2 11-03-12 02:54 PM


Originally Posted by graywolf (Post 14909758)
*snip* I really ought to do some updated photos. *snip*

Yes! Please do, I'd really like to see how it's coming along. I remember you posting your search for the chaincase, and eventually finding one. I've been mulling over doing the same to my Sports, but I probably won't. If I ever got my hands on a heavy weight roadster though...

w1xq 11-03-12 06:45 PM

Thanks flammenwurfer!!!

w1xq 11-03-12 06:48 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 14907744)
I sold a Royal Scot a few weeks ago. I bought it on eBay as a frameset plus crankset, fenders, and chain guard. My intent was to build a lightweight 3-speed (alu rims, alu stem and bars), but kind of lost interest and ended up selling it off with a wheelset from a Raleigh Sports and other somewhat random bits (though that's the original chain guard):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J...17C7FDC2DC.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-z...BE38D8135A.JPG

Sharp lookin!!! I would love to find a BSA frame to build up, but you don't see any in Texas!

Sixty Fiver 11-03-12 07:00 PM

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...nternorco3.JPG

1964 Sturmey Archer AG on my Canadian made Norco winter bike.

BM Lumotec Classic... style is retro and the technology is modern and it was pretty much plug and play with the AG.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...nternorco7.JPG

clubman 11-03-12 07:25 PM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 14910707)
http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...nternorco3.JPG

1964 Sturmey Archer AG on my Canadian made Norco winter bike.

A perfect example of why we need hub shiners!

JohnDThompson 11-03-12 08:57 PM


Originally Posted by gna (Post 14909690)
I better ask if it's ok. The picture is already on the interwebs, from the 2009 ABCE Pictures, so I didn't think he'd mind.

I thought that looked like "Barley John's" in the background...

Sixty Fiver 11-03-12 09:30 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 14910773)
A perfect example of why we need hub shiners!

Left the house with a squeaky clean bike... this was only 6km down the road in what was some snowy and slushy weather.

On the bright side, the very light coating of oil you get on an SA hub makes most dirt and crud slide right off and the hub wiper is essential to keep that coating light.

rjhammett 11-04-12 12:14 AM


Originally Posted by gna (Post 14909690)
I better ask if it's ok. The picture is already on the interwebs, from the 2009 ABCE Pictures, so I didn't think he'd mind.

My lips are sealed.

yellowbarber 11-04-12 07:32 PM

ditto on $75


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 14908610)
It's worth what you're willing to pay. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $75 for that bike, especially because it's missing its chain guard!


nlerner 11-04-12 08:22 PM

Finally took some pics of this one today: 1950s Raleigh Record Ace with non-original finish, replacement decals, and AW rear mechs in an alloy AM shell plus various non-period-correct parts (certainly not correct to an RRA):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H...0955FD2685.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-U...539615083D.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5...A354A39E66.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b...64381B4870.JPG

w1xq 11-04-12 08:38 PM

Dumb question, and I can not find it on FAQ, but how do you guys post those large pictures. When I post, all I get is thumbnails. Can't figure it out.

Sixty Fiver 11-04-12 10:39 PM


Originally Posted by w1xq (Post 14913913)
Dumb question, and I can not find it on FAQ, but how do you guys post those large pictures. When I post, all I get is thumbnails. Can't figure it out.

I host my own images and others use various image hosting sites.

You can also attach an image and then click it to get the full size version in your post preview, copy and paste that url as an image and your images will get upsized although the attached image thumbnail will still show.

akcapbikeforums 11-05-12 06:39 AM


Originally Posted by w1xq (Post 14913913)
Dumb question, and I can not find it on FAQ, but how do you guys post those large pictures. When I post, all I get is thumbnails. Can't figure it out.

Right... host the pics elsewhere (flickr, or imageshack.us, etc.) and when composing your post, you simply insert the image using HTML:

[img]here you put the link to the picture from the site where you host it[/img]

w1xq 11-05-12 05:44 PM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 14914316)
I host my own images and others use various image hosting sites.

You can also attach an image and then click it to get the full size version in your post preview, copy and paste that url as an image and your images will get upsized although the attached image thumbnail will still show.

Thanks Sixty Fiver! Will give it a try.

w1xq 11-05-12 05:45 PM


Originally Posted by akcapbikeforums (Post 14915046)
Right... host the pics elsewhere (flickr, or imageshack.us, etc.) and when composing your post, you simply insert the image using HTML:

[img]here you put the link to the picture from the site where you host it[/img]

Thanks akcap! I use Flickr so will give it a try!

w1xq 11-05-12 06:02 PM

Picked up a 1965 Foremost off CL a few weeks ago. Plan on doing some cleaning in a few days. It has the J C Penny stickers on the frame. It appears to be Raleigh built. Has the 3 speed twist shifter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w1xq/81...in/photostream

w1xq 11-05-12 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by w1xq (Post 14917726)
Picked up a 1965 Foremost off CL a few weeks ago. Plan on doing some cleaning in a few days. It has the J C Penny stickers on the frame. It appears to be Raleigh built. Has the 3 speed twist shifter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w1xq/81...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w1xq/81...in/photostream

w1xq 11-05-12 06:11 PM


Originally Posted by w1xq (Post 14917746)

I give up, will stick with thumbnails.

graywolf 11-05-12 06:40 PM


Originally Posted by Juggler2 (Post 14910121)
Yes! Please do, I'd really like to see how it's coming along. I remember you posting your search for the chaincase, and eventually finding one. I've been mulling over doing the same to my Sports, but I probably won't. If I ever got my hands on a heavy weight roadster though...

Well they sell chaincases for the roadsters too.

On mine the rear stand is interfering with the chaincase and, being ill for awhile, I did not get that sorted out. I did get one of those Bernzomatic propane welding torches, and I keep thinking of brazing on a permanent mount for the chaincase.

wahoonc 11-05-12 06:51 PM


Originally Posted by w1xq (Post 14917751)
I give up, will stick with thumbnails.

Here you go...

I think you need to choose the size of picture you want then right click on it and choose "copy image url" then paste that code.
Aaron :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7261/8...63f72569_c.jpg

akcapbikeforums 11-05-12 07:56 PM

$27,000 1939 NOS Raleigh Superbe on Ebay:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Rare-1939-Ral...i+w~~60_12.JPG

flammenwurfer 11-05-12 08:33 PM

That is gorgeous!

ascherer 11-05-12 09:53 PM


Originally Posted by akcapbikeforums (Post 14918111)

Gulp.

w1xq 11-05-12 10:18 PM


Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 14917892)
Here you go...

I think you need to choose the size of picture you want then right click on it and choose "copy image url" then paste that code.
Aaron :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7261/8...63f72569_c.jpg

Thanks Aaron!!!

jrecoi 11-06-12 09:32 AM


Originally Posted by graywolf (Post 14917857)
Well they sell chaincases for the roadsters too.

On mine the rear stand is interfering with the chaincase and, being ill for awhile, I did not get that sorted out. I did get one of those Bernzomatic propane welding torches, and I keep thinking of brazing on a permanent mount for the chaincase.

I've thought of fabricating a 26" version of the Steco rack/stand that mounts on the axles, and fitting a longer axle (and corresponding indicator chain).

Juggler2 11-07-12 01:56 AM


Originally Posted by graywolf (Post 14917857)
Well they sell chaincases for the roadsters too.

On mine the rear stand is interfering with the chaincase and, being ill for awhile, I did not get that sorted out. I did get one of those Bernzomatic propane welding torches, and I keep thinking of brazing on a permanent mount for the chaincase.

This might be of interest.
http://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_...roducts_id/101

yellowbarber 11-07-12 09:45 AM

this seller is just over in Brooklyn and every few months turns up a gem like this one (i.e. his & hers nos late 50s superbes)
I have been meaning to drop a them line to see about coming by for an awestruck look.

Originally Posted by akcapbikeforums (Post 14918111)


shoota 11-07-12 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by akcapbikeforums (Post 14918111)

lol @ the boobs on the desk in one of the pics


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.