Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gna 10-31-13 08:49 PM


Originally Posted by michael k (Post 16207931)

Can someone suggest a seat? This one needs to go,much like riding atop a weeble wobble. :twitchy:

Who's it for? B72S, I suppose.

wahoonc 11-01-13 03:08 PM

I would use a B66 on it.

Aaron :)

PalmettoUpstate 11-01-13 07:11 PM


Originally Posted by michael k (Post 16207931)
Can someone suggest a seat? This one needs to go,much like riding atop a weeble wobble. :twitchy:

Brooks B-66S here: permaco.com

1. clik on Brooks Saddles in the left column
2. clik on Tour/Trekk Saddles
3. scroll down to B-66S @ $69 plus shipping [reasonable]

oldroads 11-02-13 05:27 AM

It would have come with a vinyl Brooks

_dylan 11-02-13 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't been around the boards in a while, but I wanted to show off the fact that my 64 Sports got a girlfriend cut from the same year. Oh--and I think if I had boarded that train it would've taken me to Hogwarts. I should have taken my chances.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=348947

oldroads 11-03-13 06:43 AM


Originally Posted by _dylan (Post 16213764)
Haven't been around the boards in a while, but I wanted to show off the fact that my 64 Sports got a girlfriend cut from the same year. Oh--and I think if I had boarded that train it would've taken me to Hogwarts. I should have taken my chances.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=348947

Great combination.

sarahmel.a 11-04-13 12:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You guys seem to know your stuff. Could someone please tell me anything you could about these two bikes. I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. I don't know much about bikes but this is a new obsession, reading everything that you all have to say. I wish I could become mechanically inclined. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349196http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349197

thank you! Sarah

noglider 11-04-13 12:40 PM

The black one looks to be English-made and from the 60's. The blue Ross is probably from the 80's and is American-made.

erileykc 11-04-13 01:58 PM

Not sure what makes for a 'decent' bike in NYC but these look like fine urban rides. My perspective is from DC so a few million less elbows than The City but still, as long as your rides are not excessively hilly these bikes seem like a good choice. Older bikes are always a theft deterrent in themselves ( that part probably translates well between any city ). Add a rack & panniers as needed and I would be happy with either one - well the mens versions anyway. Ladies frame scare the crap outta me. Always think they're gonna fold up under me but then I'm 200 lbs so I'm always grateful when any bike survives the ride. :lol:



Originally Posted by sarahmel.a (Post 16218326)
.... I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. … Sarah


noglider 11-04-13 02:20 PM

Good point. I admire the prolific use of English 3-speeds here in NYC. Are you sure you want to trade yours in, sarahmel.a? You could bring it to HUB. They'll get it in excellent running order for you.

michael k 11-04-13 03:32 PM


Originally Posted by sarahmel.a (Post 16218326)
You guys seem to know your stuff. Could someone please tell me anything you could about these two bikes. I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. I don't know much about bikes but this is a new obsession, reading everything that you all have to say. I wish I could become mechanically inclined. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349196http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349197

thank you! Sarah

The Ross (made by murray?)looks to be in nice condition but is at the bottom quality wise.

SirMike1983 11-05-13 06:44 AM


Originally Posted by michael k (Post 16207931)
So,with a little reluctants went and picked her up. She was coated with a blackish red oily residue that made the rear wheel look like it had surface rust and the paint dull looking.Quick trip to the self serve car wash for a rinse took care it. :thumb: 3rd gear has some issues and excessive backpeddling to engage the brake make me wonder if its one reason it looks like it just came out of a time capsule.Friend at the shop said he will rebuild the hub and true the wheel for a twenty. :thumb: The glue residue from the shop sticker was giving goo-gone,dish soap and rubbing alcohol a run for is money and would just smear it making it worse. :notamused: A 'Huh who knew' moment the paint sealer made the residue disappear like magic!

Can someone suggest a seat? This one needs to go,much like riding atop a weeble wobble. :twitchy:

As Vinny says, a vinyl saddle would have been original to that vintage. Raleigh eventually converted its utility bicycle line to vinyl. I would go with a B66 or B66S depending on your preference, though a Brooks vinyl mattress saddle is actually among the better vinyl saddles of that era. I had one on an export model Raleigh that actually wasn't half bad. But I still like the 66 best.


Originally Posted by sarahmel.a (Post 16218326)
You guys seem to know your stuff. Could someone please tell me anything you could about these two bikes. I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. I don't know much about bikes but this is a new obsession, reading everything that you all have to say. I wish I could become mechanically inclined. http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349196http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349197

thank you! Sarah


The Ross is a low end bicycle you can flip without regret. You won't get much for it though.

The other bicycle may actually be somewhat better than it lets on in that picture. I am having a hard time telling, but it may actually be a Hercules from right around the time Raleigh and Hercules merged. It looks like it has the pointed chainguard and a different chainring than the usual 1960's Hercules. That said, I'd need a better picture of the drive side to tell.

PalmettoUpstate 11-05-13 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 16220579)
The Ross is a low end bicycle you can flip without regret. You won't get much for it though.

I have a few Ross 3-speeds and they are good "beach" bikes; meaning we can ride them to the trail head at the edge of the dunes & leave 'em unlocked without fear that they'll "walk away" - which is sort of laughable when one considers that a 3-speed - ANY 3-speed - works famously in low-lying terrain such as DC, NYC, Charleston, or Myrtle Beach...

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 16220579)

The other bicycle may actually be somewhat better than it lets on in that picture. I am having a hard time telling, but it may actually be a Hercules from right around the time Raleigh and Hercules merged. It looks like it has the pointed chainguard and a different chainring than the usual 1960's Hercules. That said, I'd need a better picture of the drive side to tell.

I went out to the corral & looked over a vintage Herc that is from what I can see all original. It has the "Jetsons" chain guard that you see in Sarah's pic but the fork crown is different. I'd agree that it is definitely one of the Raleigh "variants" but can't say exactly which from the pic either. My aforementioned Herc has got a Persons vinyl saddle on it. From what I've been able to glean, AMF brought in the Raleigh bikes nearly complete and then put a few parts from domestic mfrs. such as saddles & kickstands on them before shipping them out to retail vendors...

bwilli88 11-05-13 09:00 AM

I have another thread about converting a Raleigh Grand Prix from 10 speed to to a 3 speed AW rear. Thread here

My questions are
1. So I have decided to go with a 48t 170mm crank. I would like to stay with a square taper spindle and light weight, any good suggestions for one.

2. What are some good light drop bar brake levers that would allow routing the cables under the bar wrap.

3. Has anyone swapped to just a 3 speed and coaster brake and gotten rid of rim brakes altogether?

Additional question can I run the shifter cable thru the existing noodle for the RD cable now.
Here is the bike

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...8&d=1383124391

JohnDThompson 11-05-13 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by bwilli88 (Post 16220881)
1. So I have decided to go with a 48t 170mm crank. I would like to stay with a square taper spindle and light weight, any good suggestions for one.

Looks like you already have a square taper crank. You should be able to source a 48T ring for it; run it on the inner plateau with BMX (single chainring) bolts if you don't feel like searching for a single-ring specific bottom bracket spindle.


3. Has anyone swapped to just a 3 speed and coaster brake and gotten rid of rim brakes altogether?
Coaster brakes are not as effective as rim brakes, and thus are not suitable for anything other than low speed riding. If this matches your style, it should be ok.


Additional question can I run the shifter cable thru the existing noodle for the RD cable now.
Probably.

noglider 11-05-13 10:25 AM

Yes, some have switched to coaster brakes instead of rim brakes. It's still a good idea to keep a front caliper brake. You may find that the coaster brake is more than adequate for stopping, but if your chain falls off, you'll need another brake. This happens!

For brake levers, use the search term "aero."

You can't run the shift cable through that last bit of housing because the hub doesn't have a cable stop built in, but you might be able to use that last cable stop on the frame. It's facing the wrong way, but there's a chance you can make it work.

bwilli88 11-05-13 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16221187)
You can't run the shift cable through that last bit of housing because the hub doesn't have a cable stop built in, but you might be able to use that last cable stop on the frame. It's facing the wrong way, but there's a chance you can make it work.

I was thinking about the curved metal guide down by the crank to run the cable from the downtube to the rear axle. Thinking that I might use a single downtube shifter and running a barenaked cable from the shifter to the SA hub.


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16221187)
You may find that the coaster brake is more than adequate for stopping, but if your chain falls off, you'll need another brake. This happens!

Over here in Cambodia probably half of the bikes have no brakes. They use the foot method either on the front wheel or the rear.

noglider 11-06-13 12:31 AM

Your plan sounds good but I don't know of any down tube shifter indexed for a three speed hub. If you use a friction shifter, finding 2nd gear is tricky and dangerous.

JohnDThompson 11-06-13 10:13 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16223248)
Your plan sounds good but I don't know of any down tube shifter indexed for a three speed hub. If you use a friction shifter, finding 2nd gear is tricky and dangerous.

I believe the new production Sturmey-Archer shifters will fit on a standard downtube lever boss. At least my S3X shifter does, so I imagine the other models might as well.

smontanaro 11-06-13 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Confirmed on the S-A website:

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/produc...d/3/id/10.html

See attached. If I read the description correctly (..."SLS30 R3T 3 Speed classic ratio..."), this shifter should work with older 3-speed S-A hubs as well.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...3&d=1383755095

noglider 11-06-13 03:40 PM

Waddya know. That's great.

bwilli88 11-07-13 07:52 AM

I like that.

sarahmel.a 11-08-13 09:42 AM

Noglider/ Tom, thanks for your excellent comment and suggestion. I have been very hesitant to take my bike(s) anywhere in NYC because I fear they'll jack up the price due to my ignorance. I would love nay suggestions you might have. I don't know what to do as far as the hercules is concerned but there is something about it, that I've falling in love with. I really want to keep one if you think I can get it in good shape. I'm just dying to start riding a bike again in the city. Last year I sold my Gary Fisher bike after losing my job and apartment and now I'm back! Could you tell me which of these bikes is a good one to keep?! My aunt has also given me a Free Spirit that needs new tires.. wonder how much that would cost... thanks a ton for all of your help and I think I will start researching a safe bike route to work.

sarahmel.a 11-08-13 10:11 AM

this is a gorgeous bike. I would be so worried about it getting scratched up etc. I should show you all a picture of our storage room in the apartment building. ugh, I guess i'll get a nice bike when I have a house to put it in. until then, I'll ride the old hercules.

sarahmel.a 11-08-13 10:15 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16218687)
Good point. I admire the prolific use of English 3-speeds here in NYC. Are you sure you want to trade yours in, sarahmel.a? You could bring it to HUB. They'll get it in excellent running order for you.

Hi I realized that I went to HUB the other day! I looked ta their helmets and a young man told me that I don't need to wear one in NYC and I was shocked that he wasn't pushing the sale. I'm going to wear one anyway. Do you? It's good to know that I can go to this place to get my bike looked at. I wonder how expensive a tune up would cost for the hercules... do you have any idea?

sarahmel.a 11-08-13 10:20 AM


Originally Posted by michael k (Post 16218918)
The Ross (made by murray?)looks to be in nice condition but is at the bottom quality wise.


thank you Mike, that's really good to know. in your opinion is the hercules worth more? I'm trying to decide what to do with these two bikes.

noglider 11-08-13 10:55 AM

The Hercules is worth more, but keep it. You might love it. I live around the corner from The Hub, so if you'd like me to look at either bike or give you some tips, send me an email at the address below. I'm unemployed for the next week or two, so I have daytimes free.

Whatever they charge is probably too little. They seem to undercharge in general. They're having revenue problems, too. Hmm, fancy that. It's a fine bike. I have one, too.

And certainly I wear a helmet, and I recommend you do, too.

Schwinnsta 11-08-13 08:28 PM

I know that Sun CR-19 rims have been written about earlier in this thread but I don't think this issue has come up. I have got tired of the poor braking of my Raleigh Sport in wet weather so I bought two CR-18 590 off Amazon. They arrived today. I am kind of alarmed that the rims are so much narrower than the Raleigh rims on the Sport. My tires are Panaracer Col de la Vie and they are wider than other 590's. They barely clear the fenders on the original rims. Does anyone ride with CR-18 and Col de la Vie(s)? How is the combination? Another concern I have is that the brakes won't work as well on this size rim due to less leverage. Is that an issue?

I am planning to lace them up in a few weeks as time permits but as of now I just opened them and can return them if there are issues. I really like these tires. They transform the ride, IMHO.

sykerocker 11-08-13 08:45 PM


Originally Posted by sarahmel.a (Post 16229907)
thank you Mike, that's really good to know. in your opinion is the hercules worth more? I'm trying to decide what to do with these two bikes.

If they're both in running or at least ride-able condition try them both out. See which one feels better to you. The Hercules is most likely the better quality bike, and will probably last over the long term with less maintenance. But . . . . . if you're just looking for a commuter ride rather than a collectable, whichever bike seems to work better for you is the best one to keep. I've saved and sold cheaply a few low end three speeds that gave decent service to their buyers.

SirMike1983 11-09-13 03:48 PM

Not technically an English 3-speed, but rather an American cousin Schwinn.


http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lX3bRax4aF...09+%282%29.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-F4wm4MWk0Z...0/IMG_3013.JPG


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.