Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

rookgirl 05-25-11 12:05 PM

Here's my 1973 Raleigh Superbe
More pics of it in this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...aleigh-Superbe

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/o...eher/025-2.jpg

noglider 05-25-11 01:09 PM

Frank, congratulations. I can't put my finger on it, but I find Rudges to be even more handsome than Raleighs. I adore mine. It looks like a wreck but runs like a top. I haven't decided yet if I'll ever polish it up.

noglider 05-25-11 01:16 PM

I did a little over two hours of extremely vigorous work at the community garden today. I'm exhausted, in a good way. It occurred to me that I'd like to gear my Rudge down even lower. I replaced the 18T sprocket with a 22T, and now I'm thinking 24T would be nice. I'm not a maniac about pedaling downhill, and I can spin pretty darned fast if I need to.

Then again, that was when I was exhausted. Maybe I'll feel otherwise soon.

Sixty Fiver 05-25-11 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 12692963)
I did a little over two hours of extremely vigorous work at the community garden today. I'm exhausted, in a good way. It occurred to me that I'd like to gear my Rudge down even lower. I replaced the 18T sprocket with a 22T, and now I'm thinking 24T would be nice. I'm not a maniac about pedaling downhill, and I can spin pretty darned fast if I need to.

Then again, that was when I was exhausted. Maybe I'll feel otherwise soon.

I just did the same to the Shasta's dual drive... changed the 16/18 for an 18/22 and prefer this as I took a little off the top and gained better climbing and towing gears which gives it a range very close to my folder with wider steps over a 6 speed transmission that has 22% and 25% changes.

Range is 35-76 and the 3/22 and 2/18 offer 62 and 76 gear inches which suit my high rpm riding technique and lets me climb from the saddle on all but the steepest of grades and is comfortable gearing for cruising along at 30kmh in the top gear.

Think the bike is now set up pretty nicely for commuting and utilitarian use and should be capable of earing it's big and small C... it is enough range for touring the prairies.

auchencrow 05-25-11 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by Carl Brill (Post 12692204)
Hello boys, Here, pics of a Rudge Mustang, The SA is '64. Sweet hand lettered name, and the shop name too, on the seat tube.
Cheers


Carl - Give us a drive-side full-view of your Rudge directly from your flickr account!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/...942d2d2c_b.jpg

auchencrow 05-25-11 02:03 PM


Originally Posted by rookgirl (Post 12692593)

Beautifully preserved specimen there, rookgirl! :thumb:

brokenbetty 05-25-11 03:48 PM

My ladies Tourist
 
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/...4eaf9325_b.jpg

I'm commuting on her daily at the minute - the most comfortable, relaxing bike I've ridden (apart from the odd rod brake moment)

gnome 05-25-11 04:15 PM


Originally Posted by brokenbetty (Post 12693749)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/...4eaf9325_b.jpg

I'm commuting on her daily at the minute - the most comfortable, relaxing bike I've ridden (apart from the odd rod brake moment)

welcome. very nice old roadster. they are extremely relaxing bikes to ride. just glide along unstoppably.

ftwelder 05-25-11 07:40 PM


Originally Posted by rookgirl (Post 12692593)


Pretty! It looks new!


Brokenbetty's Tourist is beautiful also.

gna 05-25-11 09:18 PM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 12662377)
So, who else besides me is going to be at Lake Pepin this weekend?

Sorry, I wasn't following the forum last week. I was there.


Originally Posted by Amesja (Post 12662452)
Too far for a bike ride! Even if I still lived in Madison it'd be too far...

There were many people from Madison, Winnipeg, and Chicago there.


Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa (Post 12662462)
I will

Believe I met you at Gelly's.

Mike from Iowa 05-25-11 09:53 PM


Originally Posted by gna (Post 12695439)

Believe I met you at Gelly's.

Ah! I think we did. After the rain had stopped.

gna 05-25-11 10:45 PM


Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa (Post 12695590)
Ah! I think we did. After the rain had stopped.

Asian carp in garlic mustard..with a side of kudzu.

Six jours 05-27-11 11:45 AM

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Raleigh-1.jpg

Might be a 1969 - bought as a nasty, rusty basket case with lots of mismatched parts, so I'm not sure if the rear wheel was original - and brought back up to snuff with goodies like stainless rims and Soma's Lauterwasser bars.

Mike Mills 05-27-11 01:07 PM

THAT is a cool-looking bike!

I like the British Racing FGreen paint job much more than the metallic green above. Don't get me wrong here, the metallic green is great and super-clean (almost new). It's just that BRG is one of my faves.

auchencrow 05-27-11 03:26 PM

VERY cool bike six jours! I just ordered the same bars for my project, and hope it looks half as good as yours whenever I get through ! :thumb:


http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Raleigh-1.jpg

Six jours 05-27-11 07:41 PM

Thanks guys. I really like the British racing green myself. I added a few braze-ons for the pump and water bottle, in preparation for using it as a very relaxed kind of touring bike. The inspiration (and the bell) came from Don Speden at "3 speed touring in Japan".

biaddiction 05-27-11 08:11 PM

I thought that is original handlebar been flipped upside down? Is it?



Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 12704133)
VERY cool bike six jours! I just ordered the same bars for my project, and hope it looks half as good as yours whenever I get through ! :thumb:


http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Raleigh-1.jpg


Six jours 05-27-11 08:17 PM

Soma Lauterwasser bars.

auchencrow 05-27-11 09:54 PM


Originally Posted by Six jours (Post 12705102)
Soma Lauterwasser bars.

The Soma Lauterwasser Handlebar CrMo is not currently available. Please contact us (Soma) for availability of this item.

Six jours 05-27-11 10:13 PM


Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 12705412)
The Soma Lauterwasser Handlebar CrMo is not currently available. Please contact us (Soma) for availability of this item.

What am I, your mother? :p

Rene Herse has them too.

nlerner 05-28-11 06:13 AM

^ "This item is out of stock"

auchencrow 05-28-11 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 12705412)
The Soma Lauterwasser Handlebar CrMo is not currently available. Please contact us (Soma) for availability of this item.


Update today from Soma:

"Sorry the bar is unavailable. Check back in 3 months. Thanks."

Velognome 05-28-11 12:52 PM

^ :lol:Ka-ching! The value of mine just jumped. Wonder when the ebay rally begins?

auchencrow 05-28-11 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by Velognome (Post 12706901)
^ :lol:Ka-ching! The value of mine just jumped. Wonder when the ebay rally begins?

It was $49 when I scooped one of the last ones a few days ago - $73 now from the same seller.

Six jours 05-28-11 02:11 PM

When I click on the Rene Herse link, it shows the item "in stock" and lets me put it into the basket.

nlerner 05-28-11 02:28 PM

^ Wow, they must have re-stocked since I last clicked on the link this morning. There go your Internet spoils, Vgnome!

Neal

auchencrow 05-28-11 06:06 PM

Perhaps you are all already aware of it, but I just happened across this site.

Some very interesting tidbits are contained therein.

curbtender 05-28-11 06:25 PM

This guy is working the SF CL... Does he look like someone in here?
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Bicycle-1.gif

Sixty Fiver 05-28-11 06:54 PM


Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 12707766)
This guy is working the SF CL... Does he look like someone in here?
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Bicycle-1.gif

Awesome !

kingfish254 05-28-11 07:44 PM


Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 12707718)
Perhaps you are all already aware of it, but I just happened across this site.

Some very interesting tidbits are contained therein.

Very cool site. Thanks.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.