Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

oldveloman 02-11-19 04:55 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20778973)
A fellow bike guy called this morning to see if I was still interested in a bike he has had for 22years or so. It is a Belgium Royal Nord President believed to be circa 1967. I looked at a couple of years ago and took a couple of poor phone shots. At that time he didn't want to part with it, but now has changed his mind. We will have to get to a lower price but I think I want the bike. The green/marble paintjob and the chainguard are fascinating . Now to the English part. Brampton Speedy Switch and hub? Are these similar to the Sturmey Archer?

That' s a very nice find and in pretty original and undamaged shape.
Royal Nord ( 1927-1967 ) was a renowned Belgian bicycle, moped and motorcycle producer.

Peter

Road Fan 02-11-19 05:57 AM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20788794)
18 mm each side. That's with the 110 mm spindle.

That is quite narrow! I like it! What chainset are you going to use on it? I could see it working very well on a single-ring.

Road Fan 02-11-19 06:08 AM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20787750)
I'm sure you'll find the spindle. For my Peugeot mixte AW + cotterless conversion, I gave up and bought a cartridge BB from Velo Orange. It arrived last night and although 'spensive it's a nice piece. Light, also seems great quality, plus the man at VO threw in a couple allen-key fixing bolts at no extra charge.

The BB is going to decide the destiny of the (no longer) derelict ladies' Sports that followed me home a few days ago. It will rotate maybe an eighth of a turn or less. So the first job is get off at least the left side crank and find out what's going on in there.

But I see you are working on a Peugeot, not an English bike. I don't think they have any threading issues, other than being French-threaded, and there are pairs of French threaded BB cups on Ebay with some regularity. You seemed to indicate spindles are similarly not a problem. Why didn't you go with French-threaded cup/cone? Why did you need to need to "give up and buy the cartridge BB?" Or is the Peug all squared away without the threadless V-O, and the 110-mm part you just got will decide the destiny of you ladies Raleigh?

I have a Bikesmith Design tool for cotter extraction. It worked instantly on my left cotter, but it bent my right one, and it's been several weeks of drilling and filing to get it out. The steel is "soft" but still pretty strong. I'm not very skilled with a hammer.

paulb_in_bkln 02-11-19 07:12 AM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20788990)
But I see you are working on a Peugeot, not an English bike. I don't think they have any threading issues, other than being French-threaded, and there are pairs of French threaded BB cups on Ebay with some regularity. You seemed to indicate spindles are similarly not a problem. Why didn't you go with French-threaded cup/cone? Why did you need to need to "give up and buy the cartridge BB?" Or is the Peug all squared away without the threadless V-O, and the 110-mm part you just got will decide the destiny of you ladies Raleigh?

I have a Bikesmith Design tool for cotter extraction. It worked instantly on my left cotter, but it bent my right one, and it's been several weeks of drilling and filing to get it out. The steel is "soft" but still pretty strong. I'm not very skilled with a hammer.

Two different bikes. I have the original BB parts for the Pug, and they're in perfect condition. I know cotterless spindles that will fit are out there, I tried to find one and I guess somehow, eventually, I might succeed but I was getting nowhere so, that's why the VO bottom bracket.

The Raleigh Sports is a street find, a derelict just reaching the point of no return. Its a later bike, so not anything with real vintage interest. If the BB is corroded garbage inside, I'll save the AW hub and a couple other parts and the rest will head to the crusher.

paulb_in_bkln 02-11-19 07:21 AM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20788983)
That is quite narrow! I like it! What chainset are you going to use on it? I could see it working very well on a single-ring.

I was hoping no one would ask me that.... Yes, single-ring is the idea as the bike will have an AW in place of the original five-speed cluster. The crankset is a CNC thing I bought off eBay on impulse, a cheap knockoff very similar in appearance to VO's Grand Cru single speed, which itself resembles a lot of vintage alloy cranksets. It's not splendiferous and I simply hope it's adequate. Otherwise I'll be on the phone with VO again, probably.

mixteup 02-11-19 10:17 AM

Hercules Hub Question
 
I'm sure this has been answered, somewhere, before, but maybe someone can give me the short answer -
I have a mid 50's Hercules, with a B type 3 hub, the kind with a threaded driver.
Since I'm old and weak, I'd like to put a larger cog on the hub.
So, is the hub a standard freewheel thread, and I can just use a cog like those commonly used to convert a regular freewheel bike to a single speed "fixie" ?
Like this :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNKJWV6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Is it that simple, or ..........?

BigChief 02-11-19 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by mixteup (Post 20789271)
I'm sure this has been answered, somewhere, before, but maybe someone can give me the short answer -
I have a mid 50's Hercules, with a B type 3 hub, the kind with a threaded driver.
Since I'm old and weak, I'd like to put a larger cog on the hub.
So, is the hub a standard freewheel thread, and I can just use a cog like those commonly used to convert a regular freewheel bike to a single speed "fixie" ?
Like this :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNKJWV6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Is it that simple, or ..........?

Looking forward to hearing answers about this. There are also 2 other possibilities, but I can't say firsthand if they would work. First would be to swap in a Sturmey Archer 3 splined driver. The other would be to install a whole Strumey Archer AW hub guts into the Hercules hub shell.

clubman 02-11-19 12:41 PM


Originally Posted by mixteup (Post 20789271)
I'm sure this has been answered, somewhere, before, but maybe someone can give me the short answer -
I have a mid 50's Hercules, with a B type 3 hub, the kind with a threaded driver.
Since I'm old and weak, I'd like to put a larger cog on the hub.
So, is the hub a standard freewheel thread, and I can just use a cog like those commonly used to convert a regular freewheel bike to a single speed "fixie" ?
Like this :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNKJWV6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Is it that simple, or ..........?

Yes! (short answer)

mixteup 02-11-19 12:50 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20789587)
Yes! (short answer)

Thanks! (short reply)
Seriously, that's good news - It makes things much simpler :~)
Now, I just have to get the cog off ........

Salubrious 02-11-19 01:34 PM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20787672)
Anybody here have good results putting a square taper spindle into the OEM Raleigh/Brit 26 mm BB cups of a 1952 Rudge Aero Special? Are there combinations that do not work? I'm daydreaming of a vintage TA spindle with a Stronglight 49D or a vintage TA Cyclotourist crankset. I'd either use 48 tooth single chainring or a some kind of granny crankset, 48/32 or 48/28, perhaps. I would need to add a front derailleur, and some sort of chain tensioner in the rear.

Another opportunity might be an Avocet spindle with an Avocet crankarm set with a single or double (big with granny).

Known BB incompatibilities: 71 mm width versus 68 mm standard; 26 threads per inch original theading versus 24 threads per inch "modern" threading.

Goals:
get clean bearings into the BB,
eliminate the future hassle of non-destructive cotter extraction,
save some weight,
target 170mm crank arm,
option to provide for a granny gear with AW or FG hub.

You've already got the Bikesmith cotter press. In the future (once you have the cotters removed initially) you will find that working with cottered cranks is easier than square taper cranks. Far less possibility of creaks! The trick to removing a stubborn cotter if its been in the cranks a few decades is to remove the nut and washer and treat it with a bit of penetrating oil, let it sit for a day and then gently heat the crank with a torch. At that point you can apply a bit more pressure with the press and the cotter will come out intact.

With a 46 tooth sprocket in front and low of a four speed like the FW or FG, low is actually good for some serious climbing even with the stock sprocket in the rear. I'm no spring chicken (63) but last fall I took my '51 Humber Sports (set up with an FW) up the Ramsey Hill here in St. Paul which is a pretty steep climb- did it without stopping. If you need a crankset with a 48 in the front I have one (cottered of course) free for cost of shipping.

If you absolutely have to change out the BB, Phil Wood makes a bottom bracket square taper with threading designed for Raleighs.

BigChief 02-11-19 04:46 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20789587)
Yes! (short answer)

I just assumed even the built under SA license versions would use 26dpi threads. Nice, something easy for a change.

raleighroadster 02-11-19 05:32 PM

Finally replaced the creaky original 1939 mattress saddle w a brooks
 
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...162bedce1.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...43250591b.jpeg
1st ride with a brooks saddle today . So much better then the old creaky mattress saddle that came on the bike. 40 minutes , 50 degrees, sunny. Tomorrow 30 degrees with 30 mph winds! 1939 raleigh sports. All original except shift cable , grips, and tires/tubes. Original paint with all the decals intact. Stored inside 100 % of the time. A one owner bike, bought it from the son of the engineer who owned it . It sat in his basement for 15 years, tires melted into the concrete

clubman 02-11-19 06:09 PM

Loving that integral light on the rear rack! (assuming it's a light?)

BigChief 02-11-19 08:23 PM


Originally Posted by raleighroadster (Post 20790107)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...162bedce1.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...43250591b.jpeg
1st ride with a brooks saddle today . So much better then the old creaky mattress saddle that came on the bike. 40 minutes , 50 degrees, sunny. Tomorrow 30 degrees with 30 mph winds! 1939 raleigh sports. All original except shift cable , grips, and tires/tubes. Original paint with all the decals intact. Stored inside 100 % of the time. A one owner bike, bought it from the son of the engineer who owned it . It sat in his basement for 15 years, tires melted into the concrete

What a beautiful, classic roadster! If there was ever a bike that deserved a leather Brooks, this is it.
I just noticed...My 51 Rudge has that same dull gray finish instead of polished chrome on the seat post as this bike. I'll have to watch for that from now on.

gster 02-11-19 08:35 PM


Originally Posted by raleighroadster (Post 20790107)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...162bedce1.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...43250591b.jpeg
1st ride with a brooks saddle today . So much better then the old creaky mattress saddle that came on the bike. 40 minutes , 50 degrees, sunny. Tomorrow 30 degrees with 30 mph winds! 1939 raleigh sports. All original except shift cable , grips, and tires/tubes. Original paint with all the decals intact. Stored inside 100 % of the time. A one owner bike, bought it from the son of the engineer who owned it . It sat in his basement for 15 years, tires melted into the concrete

A classy ride.

paulb_in_bkln 02-12-19 05:34 AM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20787672)
Anybody here have good results putting a square taper spindle into the OEM Raleigh/Brit 26 mm BB cups of a 1952 Rudge Aero Special? Are there combinations that do not work? I'm daydreaming of a vintage TA spindle with a Stronglight 49D or a vintage TA Cyclotourist crankset. I'd either use 48 tooth single chainring or a some kind of granny crankset, 48/32 or 48/28, perhaps. I would need to add a front derailleur, and some sort of chain tensioner in the rear.

Another opportunity might be an Avocet spindle with an Avocet crankarm set with a single or double (big with granny).

Known BB incompatibilities: 71 mm width versus 68 mm standard; 26 threads per inch original theading versus 24 threads per inch "modern" threading.

Goals:
get clean bearings into the BB,
eliminate the future hassle of non-destructive cotter extraction,
save some weight,
target 170mm crank arm,
option to provide for a granny gear with AW or FG hub.

Might VO's threadless BB work? Some details here: https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/sea...bottom+bracket

Road Fan 02-12-19 06:24 AM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20790697)
Might VO's threadless BB work? Some details here: https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/sea...bottom+bracket

It probably would. I read about it yesterday. I would need to get V-O to give me more specs.

But it really isn't hard to fit a spindle, and it's a lot cheaper. Old ones in LBS junk boxes are anywhere from free to $8.00 or so. I just want to see what others ran into to try it out.

And if I convert from single to double (add a front mech, shifter control and some of sort of chain tensioner) I really just need to find another spindle for the added chainline. Where if I use the V-O cartridge it's another $65 to do a trial fitting, and of course even worse (around $200) to get a Phil Woods sized up to the new width.

Road Fan 02-12-19 07:39 AM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 20789697)
You've already got the Bikesmith cotter press. In the future (once you have the cotters removed initially) you will find that working with cottered cranks is easier than square taper cranks. Far less possibility of creaks! The trick to removing a stubborn cotter if its been in the cranks a few decades is to remove the nut and washer and treat it with a bit of penetrating oil, let it sit for a day and then gently heat the crank with a torch. At that point you can apply a bit more pressure with the press and the cotter will come out intact.

With a 46 tooth sprocket in front and low of a four speed like the FW or FG, low is actually good for some serious climbing even with the stock sprocket in the rear. I'm no spring chicken (63) but last fall I took my '51 Humber Sports (set up with an FW) up the Ramsey Hill here in St. Paul which is a pretty steep climb- did it without stopping. If you need a crankset with a 48 in the front I have one (cottered of course) free for cost of shipping.

If you absolutely have to change out the BB, Phil Wood makes a bottom bracket square taper with threading designed for Raleighs.

The BikeSmith solved 50% of my problem, performing a "like buttah" extraction on the non-drive side. On the drive side the clamp could not fit correctly. I hoped it would self-align but instead it bent over the threaded stub. I straightened and then removed the stub and tried to drive it with a 1/4 " drift, but that only expanded the top. I then started drilling from the bulbed end. The hole is up to 1/4" and rather larger due to filing it with a round mill bastard and several different sizes of chainsaw sharpening files. Also a tapered hand reamer. I have about another 1/2 mm to remove at the formerly threaded end, they I'll try putting the NDS arm back on and trying to shear it by standing on the pedals. It might then be small enough that I can collapse it. So I have a manual process I can follow and really cannot fail (ultimately there will be no more cotter in the bore), but it's a major pain.

I also don't have much hammer technique or confidence. I have a BFH and a good claw hammer, but I am not confident I can wack it with abandon, in terms of aim. Nails rarely need the full power at my disposal, so I don't have much practice.

I really just don't want to have cotters on the bike for my riding. But I don't want to destroy any parts other than cotters, so I can still make it look normal and nice, someday.

Gearing: I have a 48 T front ring, as original. In TA rings I have 44, 46, and 48 on hand. I'd start with 48 and potentially reuse the Renold chain. The rear is 17 (should double check that) for a Normal gear of 77.15, hence a low gear of 57.9 - not real low. If I can change the front end to 48/32, I can get a bottom gear 38.6. If I go to 46/30, it will be 36.2 inches. Big jumps, but wide range!

Pricing is a challenge: Phil is around $200, V-O is about $65, and a spindle is anywhere from $1 (lucky find at LBS) to maybe $30 (Ebay). But with a spindle I can get a different length to go from single to double, not counting the derailleur, et cetera. And I have installed numerous spindles complete with grease and those little balls.

BigChief 02-12-19 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20790827)
The BikeSmith solved 50% of my problem, performing a "like buttah" extraction on the non-drive side. On the drive side the clamp could not fit correctly. I hoped it would self-align but instead it bent over the threaded stub. I straightened and then removed the stub and tried to drive it with a 1/4 " drift, but that only expanded the top. I then started drilling from the bulbed end. The hole is up to 1/4" and rather larger due to filing it with a round mill bastard and several different sizes of chainsaw sharpening files. Also a tapered hand reamer. I have about another 1/2 mm to remove at the formerly threaded end, they I'll try putting the NDS arm back on and trying to shear it by standing on the pedals. It might then be small enough that I can collapse it. So I have a manual process I can follow and really cannot fail (ultimately there will be no more cotter in the bore), but it's a major pain.

I also don't have much hammer technique or confidence. I have a BFH and a good claw hammer, but I am not confident I can wack it with abandon, in terms of aim. Nails rarely need the full power at my disposal, so I don't have much practice.

I really just don't want to have cotters on the bike for my riding. But I don't want to destroy any parts other than cotters, so I can still make it look normal and nice, someday.

Gearing: I have a 48 T front ring, as original. In TA rings I have 44, 46, and 48 on hand. I'd start with 48 and potentially reuse the Renold chain. The rear is 17 (should double check that) for a Normal gear of 77.15, hence a low gear of 57.9 - not real low. If I can change the front end to 48/32, I can get a bottom gear 38.6. If I go to 46/30, it will be 36.2 inches. Big jumps, but wide range!

Pricing is a challenge: Phil is around $200, V-O is about $65, and a spindle is anywhere from $1 (lucky find at LBS) to maybe $30 (Ebay). But with a spindle I can get a different length to go from single to double, not counting the derailleur, et cetera. And I have installed numerous spindles complete with grease and those little balls.

Just for future reference, I'll describe my plan B for this situation. So far, I've never had to go beyond this to be successful, but who knows? I may someday need a plan C but I haven't yet. If I see the threaded end of the cotter start to bend from pressure from the press, I file a small flat on top. Then I center punch the pin by eye. Then, starting with a small drill and working up in size as I go, I drill down into the threaded end of the cotter. The last drill I use is almost the size of the clearance hole around the cotter. I drill down until I'm well below the edge of the crank arm. Now, the drill leaves a nice countersink perfectly in line with the cotter. Then I find the biggest punch I have that fits neatly into the countersink. Then I lower the bike stand until the wheels are on the ground. Then I drill a hole in the end of a 2x4 big enough to clear the cotter. Then I fit the 2x4 so it fits snugly between the cement floor and the crank arm. Since the spindle and crank arm is being supported by the cement floor and the 2x4 and the force of the hammer blows is being directed exactly where it's needed, I have a lot more power on hand then I did with the press pushing against the threaded end.

carfreefamily 02-12-19 11:44 AM

A chaincase I bought off British eBay arrived yesterday. Since I never had one to take off, I wasn't sure how to put it on, but it looks like the only way to get it in place is to slide the open portion, which is not visible in the photo, though those in a position to answer the question know what I'm talking about, over the dropout, which is what I did for this photo, (and to make sure everything lined up properly). The thing is, the two halves of the case are touching at that point. It took a lot of wiggling to get it over the dropout, and then, there was some bending of the metal at that point of the chaincase that I had to bend back in place. Once I get it repainted, I don't want to struggle with it quite so much and damage the paint. Can I pull that opening out a little bit wider to fit it over? Or is it normally a struggle to get them over the dropouts? The seller said he pulled it off a 1950 Raleigh Sports. He started to sand it, and then decided he would go for a different look on the bike. It seems to fit a 1952 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist just fine, though of course that's without the wheel, chain, and chainring in place.https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5192e52b37.jpg

nlerner 02-12-19 02:25 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20791051)
Just for future reference, I'll describe my plan B for this situation. So far, I've never had to go beyond this to be successful, but who knows? I may someday need a plan C but I haven't yet. If I see the threaded end of the cotter start to bend from pressure from the press, I file a small flat on top. Then I center punch the pin by eye. Then, starting with a small drill and working up in size as I go, I drill down into the threaded end of the cotter. The last drill I use is almost the size of the clearance hole around the cotter. I drill down until I'm well below the edge of the crank arm. Now, the drill leaves a nice countersink perfectly in line with the cotter. Then I find the biggest punch I have that fits neatly into the countersink. Then I lower the bike stand until the wheels are on the ground. Then I drill a hole in the end of a 2x4 big enough to clear the cotter. Then I fit the 2x4 so it fits snugly between the cement floor and the crank arm. Since the spindle and crank arm is being supported by the cement floor and the 2x4 and the force of the hammer blows is being directed exactly where it's needed, I have a lot more power on hand then I did with the press pushing against the threaded end.

My approach is far less sophisticated! I remove the threaded end of the bent cotter with a drift punch and hammer. I apply some penetrating fluid (my preference is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid) and wait at least 12 hours or so. Then I use a stainless steel socket that's got at least one end smaller than the crank arm opening for the cotter, and position the BikeSmith driver over that socket and then crank it down. That has usually done the job. I've had to drill out a couple of broken cotters, and it's a pain unless you have fresh bits and a drill with lots of oomph. Well, even then it's a pain.

I've also tried the approach to just keep riding the bike in hopes that the cotter will eventually get loose. That's worked once or twice, but not with any regularity.

raleighroadster 02-12-19 02:53 PM

Sorry, forgot, that is a seatpost off a superbe. The original seatpost was too tall on the narrow top part for the brooks saddle to not hit, as the brooks saddle is lower. Sharp eyes! Maybe I should just shorten the original seatpost to be more authentic ??!!

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20790384)
What a beautiful, classic roadster! If there was ever a bike that deserved a leather Brooks, this is it.
I just noticed...My 51 Rudge has that same dull gray finish instead of polished chrome on the seat post as this bike. I'll have to watch for that from now on.


Salubrious 02-12-19 03:12 PM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20790827)

I really just don't want to have cotters on the bike for my riding. But I don't want to destroy any parts other than cotters, so I can still make it look normal and nice, someday.

What about the cotters bothers you?

browngw 02-12-19 03:52 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 20791705)
What about the cotters bothers you?

I see a bikotherapy session beginning !:)

carfreefamily 02-12-19 04:09 PM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20791766)
I see a bikotherapy session beginning !:)

Sometimes a cotter is just a cotter.

gster 02-12-19 06:26 PM

I had a bad experience with a cotter pin as well...
It was the summer of 2012 and the events continue to haunt me
to this day. I will not relate the details as they
are far too disturbing to describe on this forum.
I'm unable to work and suffer from recurring
nightmares.
As a result of this trauma I've had to seek professional
counselling and joined a self help group to
work through the emotional pain of removing
a stuck pin.

RobbieAG 02-12-19 07:25 PM

Here's my trio of English 3 speeds:

https://i.postimg.cc/nc2xr3vX/Three3-Speeds.jpg


My first English 3 speed purchase was a 1972 Raliegh Twenty. I found it on Craigslist and got it for $60. It didn't shift or stop, but was complete and in pretty decent condition with not too much rust. I cleaned it up, got the shifting working and added new tires, tubes, Koolstop brake pads and a new seat (still have the original mattress seat). I've enjoyed taking it on vacations to the beach and throwing it in the trunk for casual rides locally.
https://i.postimg.cc/brL5yFK8/Raleigh-Twenty-Left.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9MdSSfbD/Raleigh-Twenty-Right.jpg


Here is my next acquisition - a 1968 Raleigh Sports. I got it from a guy at a bike swap meet for $25 plus a NOS Suntour derailler I had bought off of eBay (for my mid 80s Schwinn 10 speed that it turned out I didn't need). It wasn't complete needing brakes and cables etc. I've had it for about 5 years and not gotten very far with it. A kind soul on here donated some parts to complete it, but it's been frustrating and I lost interest a number of times. It did come with a Brooks saddle. I've never been able to get it to shift properly so I suspect the SA hub is defective. I tried WD40 and oiling it, but no good. It also clunks when riding it, so I suspect the bottom bracket needs attention - something I've never done and don't have the proper tools for. I did get it to shift okay when I put the rear wheel and shifter/cable from my Robin Hood (see below), but it still clunked so it's time to move on.
https://i.postimg.cc/gcKQHnr5/Raleigh-Sports-Left.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/x897SSpt/Raleigh-Sports-Right.jpg


Here's my most recent purchase - a 1970 Robin Hood that was on Craigslist and I got it for $50. It was complete and in pretty good condition. It shifted fine and rode well. Even the tires/tubes held air. I cleaned it up, put on new tires/ tubes, steering head bearings and a fulcrum clip. I put the saddle and pedals (already rebuilt) on from the Raleigh Sports. It still needs new brake pads because the braking is marginal at best. I have a soft spot for this bike because my very first bike was a red three speed with chrome fenders. It was a mid 60s Royce Union and I remember the shifting never worked - probably an early Shimano three speed hub.
https://i.postimg.cc/FR58DSyt/Robin-Hood-Left.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/J44g6Mkh/Robin-Hood-Right.jpg

Slightspeed 02-12-19 07:45 PM

I was in Atomic Cycles in Van Nuys for a wheel build, and saw this '56 Raleigh Sport hanging on the wall. (I rotated the picture). It looks fairly complete, but could use a good cleaning. The round chain guard thingy is missing, but who would want to hide the nice herons on the crank? Not my style of bike, (I do love my Super Course) but thought some of you might be interested. I think he wants $250 as is. Sorry for the poor picture quality.https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6fe921549.jpg

gster 02-13-19 05:27 AM


Originally Posted by RobbieAG (Post 20792099)
Here's my trio of English 3 speeds:

https://i.postimg.cc/nc2xr3vX/Three3-Speeds.jpg


My first English 3 speed purchase was a 1972 Raliegh Twenty. I found it on Craigslist and got it for $60. It didn't shift or stop, but was complete and in pretty decent condition with not too much rust. I cleaned it up, got the shifting working and added new tires, tubes, Koolstop brake pads and a new seat (still have the original mattress seat). I've enjoyed taking it on vacations to the beach and throwing it in the trunk for casual rides locally.
https://i.postimg.cc/brL5yFK8/Raleigh-Twenty-Left.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9MdSSfbD/Raleigh-Twenty-Right.jpg


Here is my next acquisition - a 1968 Raleigh Sports. I got it from a guy at a bike swap meet for $25 plus a NOS Suntour derailler I had bought off of eBay (for my mid 80s Schwinn 10 speed that it turned out I didn't need). It wasn't complete needing brakes and cables etc. I've had it for about 5 years and not gotten very far with it. A kind soul on here donated some parts to complete it, but it's been frustrating and I lost interest a number of times. It did come with a Brooks saddle. I've never been able to get it to shift properly so I suspect the SA hub is defective. I tried WD40 and oiling it, but no good. It also clunks when riding it, so I suspect the bottom bracket needs attention - something I've never done and don't have the proper tools for. I did get it to shift okay when I put the rear wheel and shifter/cable from my Robin Hood (see below), but it still clunked so it's time to move on.
https://i.postimg.cc/gcKQHnr5/Raleigh-Sports-Left.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/x897SSpt/Raleigh-Sports-Right.jpg


Here's my most recent purchase - a 1970 Robin Hood that was on Craigslist and I got it for $50. It was complete and in pretty good condition. It shifted fine and rode well. Even the tires/tubes held air. I cleaned it up, put on new tires/ tubes, steering head bearings and a fulcrum clip. I put the saddle and pedals (already rebuilt) on from the Raleigh Sports. It still needs new brake pads because the braking is marginal at best. I have a soft spot for this bike because my very first bike was a red three speed with chrome fenders. It was a mid 60s Royce Union and I remember the shifting never worked - probably an early Shimano three speed hub.
https://i.postimg.cc/FR58DSyt/Robin-Hood-Left.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/J44g6Mkh/Robin-Hood-Right.jpg

A Terrific Trio!
You can service the BB without special tools.
The lock ring can be loosened/removed with a flat heat screwdriver and a hammer,
As always it's the cotters that can mess you up.

BigChief 02-13-19 06:17 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20792420)
A Terrific Trio!
You can service the BB without special tools.
The lock ring can be loosened/removed with a flat heat screwdriver and a hammer,
As always it's the cotters that can mess you up.

I think maybe the reason I have a cotter problem so rarely is that for a few days before I take a crank apart I take the nuts and washers off and fill the well with penetrating oil. The next day, I'll flip the crank around and fill the other side. Typically, I'll hit all the parts with penetrating oil for a few days before I start a project. Sometimes, I'll borrow a bit of nail polish remover from my wife and mix it with brake fluid, but mostly I use DB Blaster.
I did BB servicing for years without the lock ring spanner. The cup does want to move when you tap the lock ring with a punch and hammer, but eventually I got it right. The spanner does make it much easier.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.