Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

big john 07-16-20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21590681)
We had squeal out. If I'd know it was $20 a thimblefull, I'd have asked if I could have the remainder when we closed!

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...4aAvrdEALw_wcB

Luckily I rarely get squeal on personal bikes. AZ sun and sand keeps the noise down.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21590682)
IKR.

More eco-friendly? IDK. We use the White Lightning at the BS.

White Lightning - Clean Streak?

Do you think it's the conditions that cause glazing/noise or do certain brakes just get noisy?

seedsbelize 07-16-20 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21590696)
Please put a boot in there, not just a patch? They are really good tires. But if your roads are crap you may need something more durable.

This is the first time I've ever needed a boot. Is there some way to put one in permanently, or just re-position it every time it's opened up?

MoAlpha 07-16-20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21590725)
Do you think it's the conditions that cause glazing/noise or do certain brakes just get noisy?

This time of year, I get squeal from the rear on both of my bikes until I heat the discs up with a few stops. I assume it's condensation from coming out of my air conditioned basement into the Mid-Atlantic mug. Plus the rear rotors are always a little dirty from sweat and water from de-sweating the bike after the last ride.

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590701)
Looks like you're getting the full GP4kSII experience. Kudos!

Pretty much that.

datlas 07-16-20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21590730)
This is the first time I've ever needed a boot. Is there some way to put one in permanently, or just re-position it every time it's opened up?

Some boots have an adhesive, like Park Tool. But for a plain one you could just use a dab of adhesive or cement/glue, or reposition as needed.

abshipp 07-16-20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21590633)
Probably a good idea to wear safety glasses in case they asplode, but I've never seen the smallest pop or spark.

I'll start with safety glasses and determine if safety squints are appropriate after the first round :thumb:

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21590642)
I have the cheap Shimano brakes on my mtb and they rarely make any noise, only when the rear one gets really hot. I'd love to put some more powerful brakes on there maybe with some bigger rotors but really they work fine most of the time. When I ride it a lot I go through pads pretty quick but no noise.

Mine are cheap Shimanos as well, and I doubt I work mine as hard as yours. I'm probably about your size and run 160mm front and rear and never really felt like they were inadequate when working properly. There's no big descents here.

I'd like to put bigger rotors on just for the aesthetics although I think I'm limited to 180 in the front. 160s look pretty tiny on a 29" wheel, especially when everyone else is running 203s :lol:

abshipp 07-16-20 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21590653)
Haven't heard any John Hartford for ages and ages. Thanks.

His music is pure nostalgia for me.

Lots of memories listening to him with my dad and brother driving out to the lake, boat in tow, to go duck hunting.

datlas 07-16-20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590701)
Looks like you're getting the full GP4kSII experience. Kudos!

Not quite. For the full experience, he needs to post about it in the 41.

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 11:56 AM

However, if you buy gp4ks in bulk, you get them for barely over $30 and they usually do last long enough to be worth it. Stay the eff away from grave though, even individual stones. That’s what kills them is climbing partway up a stone and then kicking it out the side as it slides down, shredding the sidewall.

I have a bunch of them used in one race each, though.

big john 07-16-20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21590738)

Mine are cheap Shimanos as well, and I doubt I work mine as hard as yours. I'm probably about your size and run 160mm front and rear and never really felt like they were inadequate when working properly. There's no big descents here.

I'd like to put bigger rotors on just for the aesthetics although I think I'm limited to 180 in the front. 160s look pretty tiny on a 29" wheel, especially when everyone else is running 203s :lol:

I have a 180 on the front and 160 rear. It's a low-end Fox 36 fork and the 180 is without an adapter so a 203 shouldn't be a problem with an adapter.
When I'm on steep stuff I need more brake. I'm 200, bike 32, Camelbak at least 8 when full.

big john 07-16-20 12:14 PM

Unless you're just low speed cruising a boot should be a temporary thing. The tire is compromised.

abshipp 07-16-20 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21590766)
I have a 180 on the front and 160 rear. It's a low-end Fox 36 fork and the 180 is without an adapter so a 203 shouldn't be a problem with an adapter.
When I'm on steep stuff I need more brake. I'm 200, bike 32, Camelbak at least 8 when full.

My fork is a 120mm X-Fusion with 32mm stanchions, and the published limit is 180 with an adapter. Probably shouldn't try to push it, even if I could find an adapter. Like I said though, it doesn't really matter since I've rarely ever felt myself wanting more brake.

We are very close, currently I've got 8 pounds on you but 2 less on the bike. My Camelback probably isn't that heavy, I usually only half-fill the bladder since I only go ride for around an hour and a half at a time.

abshipp 07-16-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21590780)
currently i'm way too fat for this sport

ftfy

big john 07-16-20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21590780)
My fork is a 120mm X-Fusion with 32mm stanchions, and the published limit is 180 with an adapter. Probably shouldn't try to push it, even if I could find an adapter. Like I said though, it doesn't really matter since I've rarely ever felt myself wanting more brake.

We are very close, currently I've got 8 pounds on you but 2 less on the bike. My Camelback probably isn't that heavy, I usually only half-fill the bladder since I only go ride for around an hour and a half at a time.

This is the first time I've had a 36mm fork and it's great for control. It doesn't flex in tight switchbacks or sand and I can yank on the bars knowing the wheel is going to respond the way I want.
My first long travel dirt bike was a Husqvarna with a 35mm fork with 11 inches of travel. Too flexy for a motorcycle! The front end would wag all over and you could feel it twisting in turns. The smaller, lightweight mtb forks give me the same effect.

BillyD 07-16-20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21590613)
My surgeon didn't even want me cutting the lawn on a riding mower, post-hernia.

:crash:

MoAlpha 07-16-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21590738)
I'll start with safety glasses and determine if safety squints are appropriate after the first round :thumb:

Doctrine.

BillyD 07-16-20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21590661)
What's in the hoop house?

A little of everything: Beets, Swiss chard, cucumber, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, shi****o peppers, bishop hats peppers, rosemary, thyme and sage.

With the cover on spinach and garlic overwinter nicely.

*sh.i.s.h.i.t.o

noodle soup 07-16-20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21590642)
I have the cheap Shimano brakes on my mtb and they rarely make any noise, only when the rear one gets really hot. I'd love to put some more powerful brakes on there maybe with some bigger rotors but really they work fine most of the time. When I ride it a lot I go through pads pretty quick but no noise.

I just ordered a pair of XT 4 piston brakes from Merlin Cycles https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...et-179622.html to upgrade from the stock Shimano m520/m500 set. $280 is a great price.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5a14c520_b.jpg

rjones28 07-16-20 01:21 PM

The Park Tool boot (TB-2) has an adhesive that keeps it in place.

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21590865)
A little of everything: Beets, Swiss chard, cucumber, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, shi****o peppers, bishop hats peppers, rosemary, thyme and sage.

*sh.i.s.h.i.t.o

#lovethecensor

noodle soup 07-16-20 01:28 PM

WhyFi I just tried to order 6 Schwalbe p1 addix from Merlin Cycles, but they won't allow more than 4 per order.:notamused: When did this start?

datlas 07-16-20 01:31 PM

There is a relatively newer cyclist who has started riding with my little inner circle the past year or so.

He is a nice guy but he really prefers a Camelbak to water bottles.

I am trying not to be a snobby cyclist, but I still cringe a bit when he shows up with it. I have not directly said anything to him other than "doesn't that thing get hot during a long ride?"

Should I continue to bite my tongue? Or tell him he cannot be a serious road cyclist until he switches to bidons? Better yet, maybe I should post my question in the 41 with a poll??

datlas 07-16-20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21590865)

*sh.i.s.h.i.t.o

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21590889)

The censor is re tarded. But we already know that.

Trsnrtr 07-16-20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21590321)
Didn’t get it, FML

Bummer.

Trsnrtr 07-16-20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21590554)
Who knew so much of home maintenance was so strenuous.

Me.