Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

genejockey 08-16-21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22186704)
I don't know what was wrong with the water in Eads but it was beyond sulfurous. It was undrinkable.

That sulfurous water sure made weird coffee. Plus, after a long day in the car, hitting wineries, etc., I was really thirsty. Could not bring myself to drink it.

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22186695)
I had never experienced bad tapwater until one time when my folks were visiting and they, Mrs. GeneJockey, and I went up to Sonoma County and stayed in a B&B there. Can't remember the town's name, but the tap water was sulfurous. When we got to the hotel, Mrs. GeneJockey was first to the bathroom, and I followed. I remember thinking, "Poor gal! She must be having gastorintestinal issues!", but it was just the sulfurous water.

BITD Riverdale in the San Joaquin Valley had sulphur water, so we drank orange juice the whole time we were there. You could still taste and smell the sulphur, but the orange made it more palatable.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22186656)
What's not to like

In addition to the horrible ride experience, did you look at the underside of this bike?

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22186450)

indyfabz 08-16-21 12:34 PM

I had never experienced bad tapwater until one time when my folks were visiting and they, Mrs. GeneJockey, and I went up to Sonoma County and stayed in a B&B there. Can't remember the town's name, but the tap water was sulfurous.

Believe it or not, there is an extremely developed Jersey shore town with sulfurous water. It's caused by hydrogen sulfide. My ex's parents live in the town across an inlet just to the south. It's not nearly as bad.

When I rode across the country we camped in New Town, ND. We had a collapsible, 5 gallon bladder. When we filled it up from the campground's well it looked like tea. Bought gallon jugs from the grocery store when we went shopping that afternoon.

phrantic09 08-16-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22186755)
In addition to the horrible ride experience, did you look at the underside of this bike?

You should have seen my jersey, arms and legs

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 12:52 PM

OMG, this gas station has the grades in reverse order. Almost got premium.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9be1b17076.jpg

phrantic09 08-16-21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22186830)

We use premium in all of our cars. It’s an ass pain.

phrantic09 08-16-21 01:51 PM

I had never experienced bad tapwater until one time when my folks were visiting and they, Mrs. GeneJockey, and I went up to Sonoma County and stayed in a B&B there. Can't remember the town's name, but the tap water was sulfurous. When we got to the hotel, Mrs. GeneJockey was first to the bathroom, and I followed. I remember thinking, "Poor gal! She must be having gastorintestinal issues!", but it was just the sulfurous water.

My brother is in Monte Rio, will ask if he has sulfur water- though he lives in a mountain and I’m not sure it’s public water.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 01:51 PM

Maybe. Only way to be sure is to test the gas.

big john 08-16-21 01:52 PM

OMG, this gas station has the grades in reverse order. Almost got premium

At least you didn't fill 'er up with diesel.

gnome 08-16-21 01:52 PM

wut? your "premium" is only 91 Octane. dear oh dear. Here, regular is 91 Octane and premium is 98 Octane. but the price is not cheap: $2.569/Litre for premium last time I brought some.

phrantic09 08-16-21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22186927)
wut? your "premium" is only 91 Octane. dear oh dear. Here, regular is 91 Octane and premium is 98 Octane. but the price is not cheap: $2.569/Litre for premium last time I brought some.

It’s generally 93 here. Couple of places are 91.

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22186927)

We used to have 93 premium in the 1990s, I dunno when they started calling 91 premium.

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 01:58 PM

It's probably 91 at that gas station because it's the gas station for cheepskates like me. Regular is typically 3.08-3.10 these days at the fancy gas stations.

Eric F 08-16-21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22186938)
It's probably 91 at that gas station because it's the gas station for cheepskates like me. Regular is typically 3.08-3.10 these days at the fancy gas stations.

CA is all 91 for premium. In my area, it will currently cost you north of $4.50/gal.

Mojo31 08-16-21 02:08 PM

I'm really enjoying plugging my car in at home every week or two.

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 02:37 PM

I put a half gallon of premium in minivan #1 after it sat for 6 months, hoping that mixing that with the stale gas would be nicer than running pure stale gas through.

genejockey 08-16-21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22186949)
I'm really enjoying plugging my car in at home every week or two.

Nobody likes a sore winner.

genejockey 08-16-21 02:41 PM

I was reliably informed years ago that electric cars were totally impractical and the REAL future was Hydrogen power, because we have all the gas station infrastructure and all.

Mojo31 08-16-21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22187020)
I was reliably informed years ago that electric cars were totally impractical and the REAL future was Hydrogen power, because we have all the gas station infrastructure and all.

In some respects they are not very practical. For example, I was looking the other day to see if I could drive the electric car to my son's school which is about a 165 mile drive. I can get there just fine, but once there, I'm not finding a spot to conveniently recharge the car with a fast charger, and don't want to sit around for 2 or three hours charging it. So, that effectively means that I will not be taking it there.

I bought it with the anticipation that it would only be used around the DFW Metroplex, and for that it is great. I would not have bought an electric car without having at least one other gas car to handle the road trips.

big john 08-16-21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22186935)
We used to have 93 premium in the 1990s, I dunno when they started calling 91 premium.

Chevron had 106 octane "Custom Supreme" when I was a ute. 4 to 5 grams of tetra ethyl lead per gallon. You may recall they found lead in the tundra of Greenland, lead in mother's milk. Or maybe you were too young.

big john 08-16-21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22186942)
CA is all 91 for premium. In my area, it will currently cost you north of $4.50/gal.

Near the homestead it's $4.55 for regular. I don't buy it as often as when I was working but it still sucks to pay north of $70 to fill the thing. I shop around to find it for $4.10 ish.

LAJ 08-16-21 03:03 PM

Your head would explode here. Our octane is 85-87-91. I am surprised to see 91 as opposed to 93 where LOP is though.

genejockey 08-16-21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22187037)
In some respects they are not very practical. For example, I was looking the other day to see if I could drive the electric car to my son's school which is about a 165 mile drive. I can get there just fine, but once there, I'm not finding a spot to conveniently recharge the car with a fast charger, and don't want to sit around for 2 or three hours charging it. So, that effectively means that I will not be taking it there.

I bought it with the anticipation that it would only be used around the DFW Metroplex, and for that it is great. I would not have bought an electric car without having at least one other gas car to handle the road trips.

What I wonder is, just how many people drive more than 200 miles at any given time more than once a year? I don't think I've EVER driven the Dodge 200 miles in a day, in 7 years of owning it. Probably a handful of trips >200 miles in the last 20 years. I suspect that's more the rule than the exception, even here in California.

big john 08-16-21 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22187020)

My friend leased one of the H powered Toyotas. A certain amount of free fuel was included in the lease but you have to get the fuel from a participating Toyota dealer. There was such a dealer on his wife's commute bu the car had too many problems and I think he got rid of it.

He had a electric Fit for his own 100 mile round trip commute and had a charge station at work. He had good luck with that car and even extended the lease until forced to return the car. Now he has an electric Kona and since there is a problem with the battery he has been offered a buy-back or some other concession.