Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

datlas 09-02-21 05:59 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22211620)
Remember, if there is water on the road, turn around, don't drown. Seriously.

Agree 100%. Luckily no flood prone areas between home and work. I got here fine. There are flood-prone areas near hear that are still under water.

Mojo31 09-02-21 06:05 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22211620)
Remember, if there is water on the road, turn around, don't drown. Seriously.

Nah, do like they do here. Back up so you have room to build some speed, and then go really fast thru it.

Trsnrtr 09-02-21 06:20 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22211641)
Nah, do like they do here. Back up so you have room to build some speed, and then go really fast thru it.

In a previous life, I had to deal with flooded roads and their repair after the water went down. Talking rural roads mainly. Several times, there was no road or half of a road when the water receded. People would remove barricades and try to drive through anyway. We had three deaths in my tenure from people trying to cross flooded roads.

indyfabz 09-02-21 06:37 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22211633)
Agree 100%. Luckily no flood prone areas between home and work. I got here fine. There are flood-prone areas near hear that are still under water.

Fairmount Waterworks. Normally a 6-7 waterfall. Saw a park bench go rushing by.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4d2ccf8be.jpeg

MoAlpha 09-02-21 06:43 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22211672)
Fairmount Waterworks. Normally a 6-7’ waterfall. Saw a park bench go rushing by.


The Ches is going to be the color of Yoohoo for a week and we'll need someone on the bow calling turds and telephone poles.

indyfabz 09-02-21 06:43 AM

Not that far up river from the city.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c5fff4c28.jpeg

MoAlpha 09-02-21 06:45 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22211633)
Agree 100%. Luckily no flood prone areas between home and work. I got here fine. There are flood-prone areas near hear that are still under water.

Going to a party in Bryn Mawr on Friday pm. Hope the roads are okay by then. Will be skipping the actual wedding the next day.

Mojo31 09-02-21 06:46 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22211653)
In a previous life, I had to deal with flooded roads and their repair after the water went down. Talking rural roads mainly. Several times, there was no road or half of a road when the water receded. People would remove barricades and try to drive through anyway. We had three deaths in my tenure from people trying to cross flooded roads.

That happens around here a lot. We even have roads with depth markers. But, people just ignore those types of things.

Can't fix stupid.

BillyD 09-02-21 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22211170)
Being warm in the cold is deliciously hubristic :love:

Deliciously hubristic. Well said. :bday:

Trsnrtr 09-02-21 06:57 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22211685)
That happens around here a lot. We even have roads with depth markers. But, people just ignore those types of things.

Can't fix stupid.

We spent a winter in San Antonio years ago and got to see a lot of those markers. :)

BillyD 09-02-21 07:09 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22211273)

Well, for one thing it's easier to read.

Although I've seen it many times before, it's incredible how much the weather on the Poughkeepsie side of the Hudson river can vary from the west side of the river. I recorded about 6 inches of rain in my yard on the 22nd and 23rd, whereas Poughkeepsie recorded only 3.5 inches. The river itself has a significant influence on Poughkeepsie's weather.

WhyFi 09-02-21 07:14 AM

Having to take a few days off of the bike isn't always fun, but man is it nice to ride with fresh legs.

WhyFi 09-02-21 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22211685)
That happens around here a lot. We even have roads with depth markers. But, people just ignore those types of things.

Can't fix stupid.

I'd still be afraid of "oh, it's only 6" (TWSS)" ...and then hitting a sink hole.

datlas 09-02-21 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22211683)
Going to a party in Bryn Mawr on Friday pm. Hope the roads are okay by then. Will be skipping the actual wedding the next day.

Should be fine. Bringing the bike??

Mojo31 09-02-21 07:24 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22211732)
I'd still be afraid of "oh, it's only 6" (TWSS)" ...and then hitting a sink hole.

I agree. I've seen people blow through flooded areas in Chevy Cavaliers that cause me to turn around in the Jeep. Every time we have a big rain, the news is full of stories about people being rescued clinging to trees or sitting on the roof of their car. All because they drive through a flooded road.

MoAlpha 09-02-21 07:28 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22211740)
Should be fine. Bringing the bike??

When we were planning to stay overnight I considered it.

...out loud and in earshot of LSS, stupidly.

datlas 09-02-21 07:30 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22211753)
When we were planning to stay overnight I considered it.

...out loud and in earshot of LSS, stupidly.

We are doing the famous "Kutztown Donuts" ride from Birchrunville to Kutztown and back on Saturday. It's epic. I am sure you could ride along if you don't mind an average speed (uch) of 17-ish.

indyfabz 09-02-21 07:31 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22211633)
Agree 100%. Luckily no flood prone areas between home and work. I got here fine. There are flood-prone areas near hear that are still under water.

Heard from a friend whose husband is a a firefighter out the Roxborough section. He had to work last night rescuing idiots, including two who drove down Forbidden Drive, which is, as you know, closed to vehicles, to see the creek flooding. They had to be rescued from the roof of their car. Not only is that creek big, it's in a steep valley. Dumb place to go under the circumstances. Everything runs down into the creek.

I am hearing that the trail along the river between Arch and Chestnut in town has lost chunks.

indyfabz 09-02-21 07:31 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22211756)
We are doing the famous "Kutztown Donuts" ride from Birchrunville to Kutztown and back on Saturday. It's epic. I am sure you could ride along if you don't mind an average speed (uch) of 17-ish.

How many do you plan to eat?

BillyD 09-02-21 07:42 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22211354)
I have a friend in Tower City in Schuylkill County. Hes got about 40 of water in his basement.

I have a drain in my basement that was working well . . . until it wasn't. Once the input overwhelmed the output about 6 inches collected, threatening the furnace and freezer, I had to go down and set up the emergency pump to assist with the output. Even so it was still touch and go for a couple hours until I felt secure enough that I could go to bed, about 1 AM or so.

That's the most water we've seen around these parts since hurricane Irene in 2011.

MoAlpha 09-02-21 07:44 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22211756)
We are doing the famous "Kutztown Donuts" ride from Birchrunville to Kutztown and back on Saturday. It's epic. I am sure you could ride along if you don't mind an average speed (uch) of 17-ish.

God, I would love that, especially the mellow pace, but the boot in the nuts from LSS might temper the enjoyment.

WhyFi 09-02-21 07:48 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22211777)
God, I would love that, especially the mellow pace, but the boot in the nuts from LSS might temper the enjoyment.

Donuts *and* a bike ride vs bodily harm from LSS... :foo:

Honestly, I'm not sure which way the scales would tip, for me - it's a tough one.

WhyFi 09-02-21 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22211756)
We are doing the famous "Kutztown Donuts" ride from Birchrunville to Kutztown and back on Saturday. It's epic. I am sure you could ride along if you don't mind an average speed (uch) of 17-ish.

I found a new favorite donut shop on the road trip home; it's in Lexington, KY, which is probably a good thing for my waistline.

rjones28 09-02-21 07:56 AM


Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22211528)
For fun I went looking back to see how far I've ridden over the years. Since Jan 2007 I've ridden over 54,200km. There were a couple of years when I didn't bother keeping any records. I guess I'm not a serious cyclist.

Possibly not. ;)

datlas 09-02-21 07:58 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22211760)
How many do you plan to eat?

Probably just one. They have so many varieties, I think I will have the "Snickers" one which is a fresh donut with chocolate, caramel, and peanuts.

edit: this is the place. It's worth trying if you are in the vicinity. https://donutloversboom.com/


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.