Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

datlas 09-09-21 01:50 PM

I have a personal email account and traditionally I eyeball the "junk" mailbox once or twice/day because FOMO.

However recently the volume of junk has tripled, and I don't have enough time to play spam whack-a-mole, which is infuriating. Anyone have a solution??

sbxx1985 09-09-21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222842)
Heh. I got one a couple of days ago. October 20th. Total waste of everyone's time. As a lawyer, plaintiff's counsel does not want me for a civil trial because I will actually evaluate the evidence in light of the law and not just vote on sympathy. As for criminal trails, my old man was once Philly's Chief of Pubic Defenders. I have to disclose that on the questionnaire even though he's been dead since '96. (In Philly, a public defender is considered a member of law enforcement for jury duty purposes.) That always gets me tossed for cause. One time I got picked for a pool. When I got called into the room the court clerk said he would not waste any more of my time but wanted to tell me on behalf of himself and the judge that my dad was a good man. Another time, during voir dire, the judge asked me why I had indicated that someone in my immediate family had been a member of law enforcement. I explained who my dad was. I could see an older lawyer at one of the tables shake his head as if to say to himself "That's where I know that last name from." Was sent to a small room. Sat down. Maybe a minute later the bailiff opened the door and told me I was excused.

But it's a day out of the office with pay and an extra $9, which covers lunch.

That's a great story. It's interesting that a PD would be considered law enforcement for jury duty purposes. It's to help the DAs during voir dire and equal the playing field. We don't have that in Colorado.

The last time I was called for jury duty had a somewhat similar story. Fast process, but I had to go back to work.

MoAlpha 09-09-21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22222874)
budget 11 speed aluminum rim brake rear wheel suggestions?

Consider a used pair of HED Ardennes+ GPs (or whatever the bottom of the line was). They were OEM on some fancy bikes, so there are lightly used sets around. They are a solid upgrade from the DT Swiss 1800 or Aksium type of thing and really bulletproof.

indyfabz 09-09-21 01:57 PM

lplo redux

rjones28 09-09-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22222594)
Wheel question. I am going to need two rear wheels for the Habanero once it goes to 11. For summertime/dry conditions, my friend who permanently loaned me the Reynolds Assaults (from roughly 2012) believes he has the 11 speed freehub body, so that's covered. For off-season I do have some old and crappy wheels like the ones I am running now, but these are pretty long in the tooth and probably NOT worth trying to track down 11s freehub bodies for.

tl;dr I need a reasonably good but budget-level aluminum rim rear wheel for 11s clincher, does NOT need to be tubeless compatible. I generally think of something like Mavic Aksium but I wonder if there are others to consider. Budget is $150-250. Would consider getting a companion front wheel for matchy-matchy if price is right (say max $500 for F+R).

Suggestions??

Your choices will likely be narrowed for you because of availability. I'd poke around the area LBS' to see what they have in stock. Most LBS have QBP accounts, there are some decent house-built budget choices there (for instance, Universal Cycles -- Quality Shimano 105/DT Swiss R460 Wheels - 700c). And, of course, check The Pro's Closet, ebay, etc... for used.

phrantic09 09-09-21 02:04 PM

I have to fly to Nashville Sunday-Wednesday this week for work. Not really thrilled about it given the infection rates right now. Also not happy because I have to stay at a Hilton (instead of Marriott) and have to fly Southwest instead of a real airline.

indyfabz 09-09-21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222891)
The last time I was called for jury duty had a somewhat similar story. Fast process, but I had to go back to work.

One time I reported, did not get called for a pool and then got let go around 10:30. The clerk who handed us our checks said (with a smile) something like "Now I am sure you are all going to go straight to work and let your employers know you got released early." That elicited some laughs, at least from those of us who got time off with pay for jury duty. I do feel bad for people who do not.

Back in the 90s we used to have to turn over the check to the company, but that was eventually stopped for one-day service. Probably was not worth the time for a $9 check.

indyfabz 09-09-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22222906)
I have to fly to Nashville Sunday-Wednesday this week for work.

Damn! That's a long flight.

rjones28 09-09-21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22222904)
Your choices will likely be narrowed for you because of availability. I'd poke around the area LBS' to see what they have in stock. Most LBS have QBP accounts, there are some decent house-built budget choices there (for instance, Universal Cycles -- Quality Shimano 105/DT Swiss R460 Wheels - 700c). And, of course, check The Pro's Closet, ebay, etc... for used.

Almost forgot Trsnrtr 's favorite shop. Newly Stocked Road Wheelsets Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

MoAlpha 09-09-21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22222906)
I have to fly to Nashville Sunday-Wednesday this week for work. Not really thrilled about it given the infection rates right now. Also not happy because I have to stay at a Hilton (instead of Marriott) and have to fly Southwest instead of a real airline.

Ugh. We have a wedding in Austin in November and I'm already getting the creeps.

DougRNS 09-09-21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22222874)
budget 11 speed aluminum rim brake rear wheel suggestions?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...04c3a957dd.jpg
Mavic open pro w/Ultegra was ~$150 in 2018 when I bought this. prolly more since everything is.

Mojo31 09-09-21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22222886)
I have a personal email account and traditionally I eyeball the "junk" mailbox once or twice/day because FOMO.

However recently the volume of junk has tripled, and I don't have enough time to play spam whack-a-mole, which is infuriating. Anyone have a solution??

Which email service?

big john 09-09-21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222848)
No, but like David Letterman, I used to have a crush on Terri Garr.

https://prod-images.tcm.com/Master-P...s/TeriGarr.jpg

Mojo31 09-09-21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22222916)
Ugh. We have a wedding in Austin in November and I'm already getting the creeps.

We are flying to Arizona at Christmas, and will be on a commuter jet. I have to believe that the lower passenger load reduces the risk a bit. Then at the end of January we fly to St. Thomas. Will be curious to see if that even takes place with entry restrictions and the like.

LAJ 09-09-21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22222880)
I knew you'd say that. I felt the least strong about that one. I love my rim brake bikes and I'm not giving them up either.

That's a fact. I have way too many of everything to switch now. I don't sweat parts availability either. Being a hoarder of bike parts has one upside, at least.

datlas 09-09-21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22222940)
Which email service?

Hotmail, now outlook. Microsoft's, I have been using it since the 1990's so I don't want to change but it's a problem.

big john 09-09-21 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222842)
But it's a day out of the office with pay and an extra $9, which covers lunch.

Here, it's $15 per day starting on the second day. No job I ever had paid for jury service but you can't claim financial hardship just because you don't get paid, I tried before., Since I no longer work it wouldn't matter anyway
You call in the night before and they tell you if you have to show up or not. After a week of that you are done until the next time. Also, I've had to go in before but didn't get on a panel, so done after one day. Another time I got taken to jury selection but there was a plea deal, so done again.

genejockey 09-09-21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22222882)
Used it as a base for cycling around Calvert and St. Mary's counties with LSS and a baby one long weekend.

Our favorite activity was catching crabs off the fishing pier. They'd swim on the surface toward the lights, and you get a basket net on a long pole underneath them and suddenly yank it up. Really, though, our favorite activity was eating them.

MoAlpha 09-09-21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22222982)
Our favorite activity was catching crabs off the fishing pier. They'd swim on the surface toward the lights, and you get a basket net on a long pole underneath them and suddenly yank it up. Really, though, our favorite activity was eating them.

That pier is phenomenally long! We pass it often because Solomons is a necessary stopover on the way back to Annapolis from the Potomac and points south and we like to anchor in Mill Cr. just up the Patuxent.

sbxx1985 09-09-21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22222911)
One time I reported, did not get called for a pool and then got let go around 10:30. The clerk who handed us our checks said (with a smile) something like "Now I am sure you are all going to go straight to work and let your employers know you got released early." That elicited some laughs, at least from those of us who got time off with pay for jury duty. I do feel bad for people who do not.

Back in the 90s we used to have to turn over the check to the company, but that was eventually stopped for one-day service. Probably was not worth the time for a $9 check.

I didn't anticipate staying long, so I had stuff scheduled. And I work for myself, so I was basically sticking it to myself. That business model has changed.

ls01 09-09-21 03:15 PM

Finally got into my strava account. This year's E # 39 and 72 overall. Now, what do I do with that?

sbxx1985 09-09-21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22222952)
That's a fact. I have way too many of everything to switch now. I don't sweat parts availability either. Being a hoarder of bike parts has one upside, at least.

Totally. I have no idea what the new cool stuff is. I've hoarded enough bike parts to last me forever. I'm at least one speed behind.

What will soon be cool is watching my kid grow into my wife's bikes. He'll start with that black and yellow magnesium Paketa my wife first had. He can crash on that bike. He'll need competence for the 2009 S2.

Mojo31 09-09-21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22222970)
Here, it's $15 per day starting on the second day. No job I ever had paid for jury service but you can't claim financial hardship just because you don't get paid, I tried before., Since I no longer work it wouldn't matter anyway
You call in the night before and they tell you if you have to show up or not. After a week of that you are done until the next time. Also, I've had to go in before but didn't get on a panel, so done after one day. Another time I got taken to jury selection but there was a plea deal, so done again.

Two ways to get off quickly:

1. In a criminal case, ask if you can consider all of the other stuff the defendant probably got away with. Follow it up with a comment like "I've just never known any truly innocent people who got arrested."

2. In a civil case, ask "If the plaintiff is saying that they had some damage because of something the defendant did, how much money can we give the plaintiff?"

Bye bye jury duty!

big john 09-09-21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22223050)
Two ways to get off quickly:

1. In a criminal case, ask if you can consider all of the other stuff the defendant probably got away with. Follow it up with a comment like "I've just never known any truly innocent people who got arrested."

2. In a civil case, ask "If the plaintiff is saying that they had some damage because of something the defendant did, how much money can we give the plaintiff?"

Bye bye jury duty!

Hopefully it doesn't get that far.
I was involved in a civil suit once. A woman bought a used car from the dealer where I worked and later sued because she claimed it wouldn't pass a smog test. I tested it and I could have failed it on a technicality, but she was looking for cash. She was asking for $200K for her mental suffering. When she bought the car she bragged to us (I heard her) that she won the money to buy it from another lawsuit. We found out that she had also won another big one before that.

We weren't allowed to bring it up in court that she made her living suing people.

ls01 09-09-21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22222154)
I don’t want to get rid of it, I wish I could remember if I saw the rust before but I can’t. I’ll have to find the the time to fix it.

I have not taken it apart since I put it together. Little worries the down tube might be rust now too. I hope that is not the case.

get some rust converter from the auto parts store and some touch up paint. It'll likely be a poor match but it's about stopping the rust not beauty. I would recommend just the rusty area. Spray or brush paint isn't as durable as baked on finishes.