Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

rjones28 05-07-20 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21460633)
If it was on Strava and a run (not a walk) it would count.

Mark your walks as runs. Problem solved.

LAJ 05-07-20 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21460633)
If it was on Strava and a run (not a walk) it would count.

From here on in, why don't you call it a run? I know some people can't run as fast as I walk. Of course, they're likely approaching 100 years old, but that's not my concern. 1 to 100, if they're ahead of me, the race is on.

LAJ 05-07-20 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21460644)
Mark your walks as runs. Problem solved.

Like that.

indyfabz 05-07-20 07:24 AM

New photos from Glacier N.P. posted. I would like to have that job right about now. Those first two are grizzlies. Look how big mom's left hind mitt is.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b9f7a1e212.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c7ff6bd28f.jpg

berner 05-07-20 07:34 AM

A day or two ago turned out to be a genuine Spring day and well warmer than expected. Within a short distance of my apartment I stopped on a quiet street, next to a pond to remove a layer. Also at that same pond, but around the other side, was a girl and boy of about 10 y.o. with plastic pails and a dip net trying to catch polly wogs. We are used to seeing kids today with their faces buried in a smart phone and not paying attention to the real world. I grew up in a rural community and spent a good part of my life messing about in the woods. In fact, it was usually faster to get to playmates houses via the woods than by road. Anyway, seeing those kids and experiencing a real Spring day just made my day. Also saw a snappin' turtle in the pond.

abshipp 05-07-20 07:35 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21460611)
I had a friend stop by with his new motorcycle, some sort of v-twin thing similar to a Harley. Said it was $8,000. Drives home the high prices of bicycles especially since Iíve been looking at a higher end Giant TCR with discs and Di2. Top TCR is $11,000. :foo:

It is kind of crazy. Similarly, my brother just bought a brand new Yamaha MT-07 for around $7500. Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, fuel injected ~700cc with ABS.

Should I use the bang-for-buck argument to try and convince my wife I should get a motorcycle?

ls01 05-07-20 07:37 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21460633)
If it was on Strava and a run (not a walk) it would count.

oh

Trsnrtr 05-07-20 07:39 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21460664)
It is kind of crazy. Similarly, my brother just bought a brand new Yamaha MT-07 for around $7500. Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, fuel injected ~700cc with ABS.

Should I use the bang-for-buck argument to try and convince my wife I should get a motorcycle?

I already tried and I assure you that it didn’t work.

Btw, this was a Vulcan Classic.

Velo Vol 05-07-20 07:46 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21460640)
Drinking coffee, yard time with Benson, updating surreal economic data.

Whose?

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21460644)
Mark your walks as runs. Problem solved.


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21460645)
From here on in, why don't you call it a run?

Thinking about this. Although my average speed would be terrible, at least you could see it on that graph.

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21460648)
New photos from Glacier N.P. posted. I would like to have that job right about now. Those first two are grizzlies. Look how big mom's left hind mitt is.

The bears here are still hibernating if they're smart. #Winter :rolleyes:


ls01 05-07-20 07:51 AM

Sooner or later the bubble on bicycles will pop. It might have begun already with the Chinese manufacturing. Durain rider is selling his Pragma frames for around a thousand dollars if I read things correct. They are supposed to be as good or better than a brand name bike. They are "inspired" by a Cannondale model if I remember right. I believe if you go to Alibaba, and look for Yeolo, you can buy the same frame cheaper, direct.
. There really isn't any reason for the brand named to be a high as they have become. Its one reason there isn't any value retension in the used market. After the nonsense Sram dispensed with the 12 speed asx groupset, I am pretty much over it. I like it, I'll ride it. But its not worth all that over my 10 speed red groupo after the novelty has worn off.

Bah Humbug 05-07-20 07:57 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21460507)
I've never really understood the knife fascination, what do you gain with something boutique over something like a production Wusthof (which is the chef knife I have)? It stays sharp and cuts everything I need it to - I've never had the want for anything more. Although I suppose the same logic could be applied to bicycles, a bike's a bike, right? :rolleyes:

Is it one of those things that you don't understand until you've actually used one?

Yes on both - sure a Wusthof or a Hampton Forge from Target will let you cook dinner, as long as you aren't too picky about smooth cuts. This is the same as saying a hybrid bike can certainly get you around town and let you lead an active lifestyle. An R5 is a whole different beast in every way though, lets you do more, and is nicer to use while doing that more.

Most people haven't ridden an R5 or anything comparable - hell, even I haven't. Most people in America haven't used a nice knife and have no idea what "sharp" is. One thing about the fact that I grew up poor in an old farmhouse on even older land is that I used a knife made back before... whatsisface (I'm trying to find the article about the history of stainless steel cutlery) decided that stainless makes good knives, which has only been even moderately true rather recently. A knife can't stay truly sharp indefinitely, no matter what Ginsu said, and even the "good" stainless steels are more difficult and less pleasant to sharpen. The old knives I grew up with weren't stainless, and one of my chores was to keep them sharp. That I did. The good knives today are much better than those.

The tricks are things like tomatoes (toughish skin, soft flesh) and peppers (tough tough skin, moderate flesh) where most consumer knives will just mash them instead of slicing cleanly. The difference is clear with other things too, but those are the easiest to see.

WhyFi 05-07-20 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21460507)
I've never really understood the knife fascination, what do you gain with something boutique over something like a production Wusthof (which is the chef knife I have)? It stays sharp and cuts everything I need it to - I've never had the want for anything more. Although I suppose the same logic could be applied to bicycles, a bike's a bike, right? :rolleyes:

Is it one of those things that you don't understand until you've actually used one?

Subjective. There's sharp and then there's sharp. There's cooking and then there's cooking. If you do a lot of cooking, you'll probably appreciate sharp.

https://media.giphy.com/media/H4Jfg1...uUkY/giphy.gif

rjones28 05-07-20 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21460684)
Whose?

Ours

Velo Vol 05-07-20 08:14 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21460746)
Ours

Oh boy.

WhyFi 05-07-20 08:17 AM

This one kills me. I don't know what kind of bread this is, how old it is, etc, etc, but it doesn't matter - this is sharp.

https://media.giphy.com/media/hrvbp9...oUBa/giphy.gif

abshipp 05-07-20 08:22 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21460713)
Most people in America haven't used a nice knife and have no idea what "sharp" is.


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21460734)
Subjective. There's sharp and then there's sharp.

Ah that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the explanations :)

Is the discussion about knife metallurgy mostly related to how find of an edge you can get and how well it will hold it?


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21460763)
This one kills me. I don't know what kind of bread this is, how old it is, etc, etc, but it doesn't matter - this is sharp.

Oh. :eek:

Yeah, that's sharp.

Holy ****

rjones28 05-07-20 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21460734)
Subjective. There's sharp and then there's sharp. There's cooking and then there's cooking. If you do a lot of cooking, you'll probably appreciate sharp.

https://media.giphy.com/media/H4Jfg1...uUkY/giphy.gif


rjones28 05-07-20 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21460757)
Oh boy.

Exactly

WhyFi 05-07-20 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21460776)
Is the discussion about knife metallurgy mostly related to how find of an edge you can get and how well it will hold it?

Pretty much. That, and how easy it is to sharpen when it comes time to do so.

Bah Humbug 05-07-20 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21460776)
Ah that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the explanations :)

Is the discussion about knife metallurgy mostly related to how find of an edge you can get and how well it will hold it?



Oh. :eek:

Yeah, that's sharp.

Holy ****

It gets deep - the metals alloyed with the iron, even in small quantities, have huge effects on the carbides (the bits that make it steel instead of iron) and huge piles of other metallurgical terms I barely understand. A very lightly-alloyed steel, for example, can have very very fine carbides and can be easily sharpened to a fine edge, but that edge can be so smooth it has a hard time "biting" into tough pepper skins. Hitachi calls those "white" steels. The "blue" steels contain more added metals like bits of chromium, vanadium, and tungsten, by my memory. This gives it carbides of varying sizes (and a longer edge life) that gives it a "toothy" edge that bites into tough skins. It's slightly harder to sharpen, and won't take the sort of edge a sushi chef would want.

The trick with stainless is it's gummy - when you try to sharpen it, it feels nasty on the stones. Worse, instead of easily grinding off a layer of steel, it rolls a gummy sliver of steel to the edge, where it hangs on and then just flips back and forth as you try to sharpen each side. It sucks. The newer stainless steels (R2 especially) are much better about that, but still don't feel as good and aren't as easy as non-stainless. It's worth it for some things like paring knifes and the knife I use for pineapple, though.

WhyFi 05-07-20 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21460783)

Is there a TL;D(W)?

LAJ 05-07-20 09:08 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21460816)
It gets deep - the metals alloyed with the iron, even in small quantities, have huge effects on the carbides (the bits that make it steel instead of iron) and huge piles of other metallurgical terms I barely understand. A very lightly-alloyed steel, for example, can have very very fine carbides and can be easily sharpened to a fine edge, but that edge can be so smooth it has a hard time "biting" into tough pepper skins. Hitachi calls those "white" steels. The "blue" steels contain more added metals like bits of chromium, vanadium, and tungsten, by my memory. This gives it carbides of varying sizes (and a longer edge life) that gives it a "toothy" edge that bites into tough skins. It's slightly harder to sharpen, and won't take the sort of edge a sushi chef would want.

The trick with stainless is it's gummy - when you try to sharpen it, it feels nasty on the stones. Worse, instead of easily grinding off a layer of steel, it rolls a gummy sliver of steel to the edge, where it hangs on and then just flips back and forth as you try to sharpen each side. It sucks. The newer stainless steels (R2 especially) are much better about that, but still don't feel as good and aren't as easy as non-stainless. It's worth it for some things like paring knifes and the knife I use for pineapple, though.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0e956a44f.jpeg

WhyFi 05-07-20 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21460892)

:twitchy:

LAJ 05-07-20 09:17 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21460898)
:twitchy:

:roflmao2:

Bah Humbug 05-07-20 09:19 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21460892)

Like using a hammer and an adjustable wrench to fix your road bike. Thatíll wreck the heat treatment and destroy the edge geometry.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.