Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

bampilot06 06-25-20 05:01 PM

Just saw that trek put the century challenge back up on strava. This time last year I was riding about 10 miles a ride and it would take me about 45 mins to finish, and I was getting around 200 miles a month. I had just started using strava and when this challenge popped up, I decided I would go for the 500 miles. At the time this was huge challenge for me, and I was determined to get it done. I would ride twice a day, 10 miles in the morning and 10 miles at night. About half way through the month my first walmart bike broke so I lost about 5 days. Then when I was at mile 498 I got a flat. I walked home and for another two hours proceeded to ride as far as I could before it would go flat, then pump it back up.
Pretty stoked that the challenge is back, it really pushed me to get into this sport. This year I only have 12 days off, so it will be a bit of a challenge, but the goal is to hit 500 again.

Bah Humbug 06-25-20 05:07 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21553582)
Just saw that trek put the century challenge back up on strava. This time last year I was riding about 10 miles a ride and it would take me about 45 mins to finish, and I was getting around 200 miles a month. I had just started using strava and when this challenge popped up, I decided I would go for the 500 miles. At the time this was huge challenge for me, and I was determined to get it done. I would ride twice a day, 10 miles in the morning and 10 miles at night. About half way through the month my first walmart bike broke so I lost about 5 days. Then when I was at mile 498 I got a flat. I walked home and for another two hours proceeded to ride as far as I could before it would go flat, then pump it back up.
Pretty stoked that the challenge is back, it really pushed me to get into this sport. This year I only have 12 days off, so it will be a bit of a challenge, but the goal is to hit 500 again.

That is some dedication! :thumb:

This year it should go more smoothly for you.

seedsbelize 06-25-20 05:58 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21553582)
Just saw that trek put the century challenge back up on strava. This time last year I was riding about 10 miles a ride and it would take me about 45 mins to finish, and I was getting around 200 miles a month. I had just started using strava and when this challenge popped up, I decided I would go for the 500 miles. At the time this was huge challenge for me, and I was determined to get it done. I would ride twice a day, 10 miles in the morning and 10 miles at night. About half way through the month my first walmart bike broke so I lost about 5 days. Then when I was at mile 498 I got a flat. I walked home and for another two hours proceeded to ride as far as I could before it would go flat, then pump it back up.
Pretty stoked that the challenge is back, it really pushed me to get into this sport. This year I only have 12 days off, so it will be a bit of a challenge, but the goal is to hit 500 again.

Great story. You've come a long way, not only in endurance. You've gone from a Walmart bike to a Pinarello Cervelo
Congrats.

indyfabz 06-25-20 05:58 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21553515)
Our parking pad is under the power and FO lines to the house and birds **** all over her car.

Not long after I bought my house I parked my car under lines across the street for a week. There is a community garden there with trees. The car was covered in bird droppings. If I know Im not likely to move my car for a while Ill park blocks away rather than park there.

seedsbelize 06-25-20 06:04 PM

There is some good news to report from the confines of this workshop. I disassembled a nine speed wheel with a buggered hub and then was able to build a seven speed hub back onto the rim, using the same spokes. I made some adjustments to my nipple driver and it works like it should. Tomorrow I will make some adjustments to my dishing guage and finish it up. Another kuzzah to the new truing stand.

Velo Vol 06-25-20 06:11 PM

Spend the afternoon doing mowing therapy and still really bummed. Has anything been disclosed about how the accident happened?

datlas 06-25-20 06:16 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21553658)
Spend the afternoon doing mowing therapy and still really bummed. Has anything been disclosed about how the accident happened?

Car driver vs cyclist. Car wins every time. Sad!

datlas 06-25-20 06:18 PM

I got invited to do a century on Saturday and am off tomorrow, so a 300 mile week is possible.

big john 06-25-20 06:21 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21553658)
Spend the afternoon doing mowing therapy and still really bummed. Has anything been disclosed about how the accident happened?

Not much. The original article I saw was updated with the names of the driver and Peter, but that's about it. Several people on FB have said things about him being hit from behind and the cops did say both Peter and the car were traveling in the same direction. Could have been a right hook for all I know.

kissTheApex 06-25-20 06:31 PM


Originally Posted by mzeffex (Post 21552392)
I... don't really know if this is the place to share. But some certainly knew him. Bikeforums legend Pcad was struck and killed by a car while riding yesterday.

Rest in peace.

Oh no.

just logged in the first time for today and saw the news. RIP uncle PCad. May your chain never be without lube and your gears never without adjustment in the great beyond.

Im sad.

Velo Vol 06-25-20 06:45 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21553675)
Not much. The original article I saw was updated with the names of the driver and Peter, but that's about it. Several people on FB have said things about him being hit from behind and the cops did say both Peter and the car were traveling in the same direction. Could have been a right hook for all I know.

This says the collision was at an intersection, presumably featured in the video.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/sout...county/789921/

There's damage to the driver's side front bumper, which doesn't seem like a right hook, unless the driver then hit something else.

bampilot06 06-25-20 06:53 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21553709)
This says the collision was at an intersection, presumably featured in the video.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/sout...county/789921/

There's damage to the driver's side front bumper, which doesn't seem like a right hook, unless the driver then hit something else.

It looked like they had to tow the car out of that wooded area. I had assumed the damage was caused by going off the road.

rjones28 06-25-20 06:56 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21553658)
Spend the afternoon doing mowing therapy and still really bummed. Has anything been disclosed about how the accident happened?

:hug:

big john 06-25-20 07:03 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21553709)
This says the collision was at an intersection, presumably featured in the video.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/sout...county/789921/

There's damage to the driver's side front bumper, which doesn't seem like a right hook, unless the driver then hit something else.

The car was in the weeds and there was a stop sign down. We may never know exactly how it happened.

MoAlpha 06-25-20 07:03 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21553669)
I got invited to do a century on Saturday and am off tomorrow, so a 300 mile week is possible.

Sounds entirely epic. I look forward to your stravings.

I am working on speed, which, for me, is like trying to get taller, but it precludes riding a whole lotta miles. Plus, no one I want to ride with wants to ride with me.

Trsnrtr 06-25-20 07:07 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21553669)
I got invited to do a century on Saturday and am off tomorrow, so a 300 mile week is possible.

Were heading for 90s tomorrow and my wife has a couple doc appointments so Im going to take tomorrow off and probably shorten up my rides on Saturday and Sunday. The leaderboard is all yours to claim. :thumb:

big john 06-25-20 07:17 PM

Some people are riding into the mountains Saturday and I might go. It's only 63 miles but has 5700 feet of climbing with climbing near the end. Oh, and screaming descents where 50mph comes easily.

abshipp 06-25-20 07:25 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21553669)
I got invited to do a century on Saturday and am off tomorrow, so a 300 mile week is possible.

I just registered for that 200k.

Related, if someone is expecting some hand and seat discomfort, would it be better to take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to take the some of the edge off?
​​​​

datlas 06-25-20 07:32 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21553774)
I just registered for that 200k.

Related, if someone is expecting some hand and seat discomfort, would it be better to take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to take the some of the edge off?
​​​​

Before or during ride, acetaminophen is safest.

#KidneySafe

datlas 06-25-20 07:33 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21553764)
Some people are riding into the mountains Saturday and I might go. It's only 63 miles but has 5700 feet of climbing with climbing near the end. Oh, and screaming descents where 50mph comes easily.

I get askeered around 40.

MoAlpha 06-25-20 07:42 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21553774)
I just registered for that 200k.

Related, if someone is expecting some hand and seat discomfort, would it be better to take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to take the some of the edge off?
​​​​


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21553781)
Before or during ride, acetaminophen is safest.

#KidneySafe

As @datlas says, anytime dehydration is possible, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, are best avoided.

indyfabz 06-25-20 07:43 PM

Hoping that the pcad memorial thread doesnt turn into something worthy of A&S.

WhyFi 06-25-20 07:45 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21553774)
I just registered for that 200k.​​​​

This is an organized ride? Solo? Group? Group-ish?

I'd kinda like to do a 200k in the next couple weeks - got the route planned and everything. Just gotta see when I can sneak out for 8 hours or so.

abshipp 06-25-20 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21553781)
Before or during ride, acetaminophen is safest.

#KidneySafe


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21553794)
As @datlas says, anytime dehydration is possible, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, are best avoided.

Wonderful, thanks so much.

Supposed to get up to 88F, hoping I can talk to the RBA and get an earlier start than 7AM.

abshipp 06-25-20 07:56 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21553800)
This is an organized ride? Solo? Group? Group-ish?

I'd kinda like to do a 200k in the next couple weeks - got the route planned and everything. Just gotta see when I can sneak out for 8 hours or so.

Organized through my club. Not a typical brevet though since it's not going to be RUSA sanctioned and instead of brevet cards the route will be validated by GPS track.

At the moment it's only myself and one other person signed up for the 200, but there's another 10 people signed up for the 400 and 600 that is launching the same morning.

I'm hoping for sub 10 hours gate to gate, but I haven't even done a century this year so we'll see. At least it's reasonably flat.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.