Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 06-28-20 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21557870)
I really wish I had a better camera with me yesterday.

About 20 minutes after setting off I had to stop for a nature break so I found a access point to a farmers field through some trees.

It was still fairly early, the sun was behind some clouds, things were still a bit foggy, and these two sandhill cranes were standing out in the field together:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...018a7fdcea.jpg

What a treat!

seedsbelize 06-28-20 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21557876)
Hmm.. My anxiety kicks into full-dark-no-stars even while driving to the airport, but it causes me to fold up into myself like origami and consequently generally not have the wherewithal to even act like a dick if I wanted to.

Hmmm. I have zero flight anxiety. Haven't for years. I didn't realize it was still a thing. Being a foreigner though, I prolly fly more than most non-business travelers. During my parents' final years, I was up there sometimes five times in a twelve month period. Thanks to the Covid, this calendar year will be my first without boarding an airplane in 20 years.My flight anxiety plays out as trying my best to get an aisle seat.

indyfabz 06-28-20 10:52 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21557870)
I really wish I had a better camera with me yesterday.

About 20 minutes after setting off I had to stop for a nature break so I found a access point to a farmers field through some trees.

It was still fairly early, the sun was behind some clouds, things were still a bit foggy, and these two sandhill cranes were standing out in the field together:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...018a7fdcea.jpg

Last time I saw a pair they saw me and made quite a racket.

seedsbelize 06-28-20 10:53 AM

I had a good 15 mile ride today. No detrimental effects at all*, and I will have a fully productive rest of the day. Lentils/barley finishing up in the pressure cooker as we speak. I discovered, a number of years ago, that lentils do quite well in the same pot as the grain of choice to have with them.
*saved for a possible later post

LAJ 06-28-20 10:54 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21557893)
Will you go round trip same day?

Absolutely. Thatís why Iím going such a circuitous route so I had enough time to meet Cheryl and get a direct flight home.

indyfabz 06-28-20 10:56 AM

Ahole decided to take a short joy ride on his Harley on a fairly busy MUP with a young child between his legs. I pulled over and called the cops. He came back the other way. From the sound of the engine, I think he went back to a residential area near by. I let the cops know. Dude hit what I think was about 25 mph.

abshipp 06-28-20 11:02 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21557918)
What a treat!

It really made my day. I love those birds.


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21557936)
Last time I saw a pair they saw me and made quite a racket.

One of my favorite things is hearing them overhead. They are kind of scary up close though.

abshipp 06-28-20 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21557943)
Ahole decided to take a short joy ride on his Harley on a fairly busy MUP with a young child between his legs. I pulled over and called the cops. He came back the other way. From the sound of the engine, I think he went back to a residential area near by. I let the cops know. Dude hit what I think was about 25 mph.

WTF

I've seen a dirt bike and a quad out on our MUP, but we're out in the sticks and they weren't going too fast. Prolly just using the path since they aren't street legal.

indyfabz 06-28-20 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21557949)
It really made my day. I love those birds.



One of my favorite things is hearing them overhead. They are kind of scary up close though.

They can make quite a racket.

The two guys in saw in Montana in 2016. I've seen others, including a rare, giant one in Steele, ND.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...767bd7196.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...21f8e55cf.jpeg

WhyFi 06-28-20 11:14 AM

I only have mild anxiety on take-off and landing. That and when weird **** happens. On a flight a year or two ago, the crew had a hard time closing the door, which wasn't that far away from my seat. Throughout the flight, there was a whistling noise coming from it and it got absurdly cold. I was pretty sure that the damn thing was going to blow off at any moment.

DougRNS 06-28-20 11:18 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...17c4e41f3d.jpg
#YearOfNoSummer
:foo::wtf:
Now I get to cut one if my lawns.
SMH

bampilot06 06-28-20 11:22 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21557963)
I only have mild anxiety on take-off and landing. That and when weird **** happens. On a flight a year or two ago, the crew had a hard time closing the door, which wasn't that far away from my seat. Throughout the flight, there was a whistling noise coming from it and it got absurdly cold. I was pretty sure that the damn thing was going to blow off at any moment.

There was a whistling noise!!!!! That is not good.

WhyFi 06-28-20 11:26 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21557981)
There was a whistling noise!!!!! That is not good.

Now you tell me. It was a smaller plane and a flight attendant was pretty close to the door. She seemed unperturbed, so that kept my anxiety from ratcheting higher.

LAJ 06-28-20 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21557963)
I only have mild anxiety on take-off and landing. That and when weird **** happens. On a flight a year or two ago, the crew had a hard time closing the door, which wasn't that far away from my seat. Throughout the flight, there was a whistling noise coming from it and it got absurdly cold. I was pretty sure that the damn thing was going to blow off at any moment.

We landed going sideways and straight down into Orlando one time. The whole plane cheered when we realized we were alive. That was the only time I was stressed out simply because the landing took like 10 minutes of noisy roller coaster type stuff going on. Otherwise give me a window seat so you donít wake my ass up reaching over me to hand out your paltry snacks.

bampilot06 06-28-20 11:34 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21557988)
Now you tell me. It was a smaller plane and a flight attendant was pretty close to the door. She seemed unperturbed, so that kept my anxiety from ratcheting higher.


Seals leaking is a normal occurrence. Thatís probably what you were hearing.

big john 06-28-20 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21557833)
You're too kind, I think driving cars exposes people as the dicks they truly are.

fify

Bah Humbug 06-28-20 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21557904)
I have no weekends anymore. The are all the same. So much so that I frequently have no idea of the day of the week

Nine Inch Nails has a song about that.

abshipp 06-28-20 12:26 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21557963)
I only have mild anxiety on take-off and landing. That and when weird **** happens. On a flight a year or two ago, the crew had a hard time closing the door, which wasn't that far away from my seat. Throughout the flight, there was a whistling noise coming from it and it got absurdly cold. I was pretty sure that the damn thing was going to blow off at any moment.

If it makes you feel any better, the doors open inwards so there's no way barring major structural failure that the door could open.

At least at altitude :innocent:

bampilot06 is the cabin always at positive pressure related to ambient or does that only start happening once you climb above cabin pressure?

datlas 06-28-20 12:31 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21557943)
Ahole decided to take a short joy ride on his Harley on a fairly busy MUP with a young child between his legs. I pulled over and called the cops. He came back the other way. From the sound of the engine, I think he went back to a residential area near by. I let the cops know. Dude hit what I think was about 25 mph.

But was he wearing a mask?

Bah Humbug 06-28-20 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21557931)
Hmmm. I have zero flight anxiety. Haven't for years. I didn't realize it was still a thing. Being a foreigner though, I prolly fly more than most non-business travelers. During my parents' final years, I was up there sometimes five times in a twelve month period. Thanks to the Covid, this calendar year will be my first without boarding an airplane in 20 years.My flight anxiety plays out as trying my best to get an aisle seat.

For me it's the proximity to others. I don't worry about the plane crashing; I get stressed out by being around people. Airplanes put me in close proximity with lots of people, where I can't even step outside for a minute to recenter myself.

It's bad enough that this house is killing me and AG is ready to move out of town, like to Dripping Springs or Wimberly, to give us a place with more space to the neighbors so I wouldn't be constantly on the verge of a breakdown over noises and everything else. The hope is that in two years she'll be able to telecommute some and either the bank will have given up on making me move to Dallas or I'll just take the severance and do whatever.

bampilot06 06-28-20 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21558080)
If it makes you feel any better, the doors open inwards so there's no way barring major structural failure that the door could open.

At least at altitude :innocent:

bampilot06 is the cabin always at positive pressure related to ambient or does that only start happening once you climb above cabin pressure?

Take off roll goes to negative pressure, than around 500 feet the positive pressure starts.

bampilot06 06-28-20 01:21 PM

I can scratch off ďflying through African dustĒ off my bucket list.

WhyFi 06-28-20 01:24 PM

Took a little ride with the boy while the girls napped. Shared a root beer float and taught him the ways of MUP Racing. Look at this vulgar display of power -


Bah Humbug 06-28-20 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21557963)
I only have mild anxiety on take-off and landing. That and when weird **** happens. On a flight a year or two ago, the crew had a hard time closing the door, which wasn't that far away from my seat. Throughout the flight, there was a whistling noise coming from it and it got absurdly cold. I was pretty sure that the damn thing was going to blow off at any moment.

Did I ever tell you guys what happened on the way back from HK?

It was a 777. Before takeoff I noticed that the wiring cover on the seat in front of mine wasn't clipped on right and would fall off if my foot nudged it. Then the oxygen mask for the seats behind us fall out while we're still on the ground and the flight attendants have to tape the coverings up. Neither of those is catastrophic, but didn't inspire any confidence in the build quality on that example of the 777.

Then, at about the midpoint of the flight (just south of Alaska), there's a sudden *whumpf* and smell of ozone. Someone calls the flight attendants (not me; I was woozy on Valium) and they bring out a frighteningly-large fire extinguisher. Some time later we learn that a circulation fan in the cargo hold had gotten stuck and was overheating, and they had turned it off before it caught fire. There were enough other fans that it was still safe for pets, but...

Yeah that was the only time I was actually afraid on a fight. I'd be fine in a private plane. I'm not greedy - a used 727-VIP would be fine.

kissTheApex 06-28-20 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21558164)
Took a little ride with the boy while the girls napped. Shared a root beer float and taught him the ways of MUP Racing. Look at this vulgar display of power -

Points taken off for not giving the “look” before he droped the hamer. :thumb: Teach him better, you must.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.