Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

phrantic09 07-06-20 05:56 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21571868)
hate it when that happens.

Itís the worst

bampilot06 07-06-20 05:57 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21571878)
I really only look at segments to track my own efforts and monitor improvement.


Same here. I think I might add some segments today. There only a couple a long my route, and the location isnít ideal to track my own progress. There is about three locations I would like to add one, also be interesting to see if anyone else is riding the same route as I am. I know one guy who lives in my neighborhood, he follows me on strava, and has started doing my 20 mile route.

rjones28 07-06-20 06:34 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21571872)
Strava has jumped the shark IMO and although I still use it to track my miles and see what friends are doing, I have stopped looking at segments entirely.

I feel like the phrase "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark. Discuss.

bampilot06 07-06-20 06:35 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21571927)
I feel like the phrase "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark. Discuss.


never heard it before, I feel sorry for the first guy that ever ďjumped the sharkĒ. Prolly didnít end well for him.

datlas 07-06-20 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21571878)
I really only look at segments to track my own efforts and monitor improvement.

I used to do this, and possibly still would, but now the free version does not let you look at your historical data. Sad! But not worth $5/month to do this IMO.

datlas 07-06-20 06:52 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21571927)
I feel like the phrase "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark. Discuss.


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21571931)
never heard it before, I feel sorry for the first guy that ever “jumped the shark”. Prolly didn’t end well for him.

Originated from "Happy Days" TV show but became a bit of a fad, even spawned a book (which I have, now out of print) and a website (also not active).

Generally means the time when something (TV show typically) goes from good to bad.

I think we should morph the term into "Jumped the Snark" to get the flavor right.

WhyFi 07-06-20 07:14 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21571858)
Great day... overslept two hours, no bikey for me, I even cleaned it up and made it pretty yesterday all for nothing.

Similar. I don't set an alarm these days - I figure if I sleep too late to get in a ride, I probably needed the sleep more - and woke up about 45 min too late to squeeze in a quickie.


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21571870)
whatís the purpose of this, to stick it to strava?

To piss off people that are legitimately at the top of the boards? Looks like he did this a few times in the fall, too, so it pre-dates any segment paywall angst. Regardless, it's a weird mindset, to me.


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21571872)
Strava has jumped the shark IMO and although I still use it to track my miles and see what friends are doing, I have stopped looking at segments entirely.

I think that's long been the primary function for most, so I don't see any shark jumping. Obviously, serious cyclists are more interested in segments, leaderboards, improving vs themselves and vs others... but Strava has a lot of casuals. Do you think that you would have stopped looking at segments if they were still laid bare in front of you?

MoAlpha 07-06-20 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21571878)
I really only look at segments to track my own efforts and monitor improvement.

Same here. I think free Strava is fantastic as a data hub and is a huge public service.

WhyFi 07-06-20 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21571875)
Then will help the 13 year old with his gaming PC build (the little guy has been saving for almost a year for it :love:), and then time for some garage cleaning and woodworking.


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21571879)
Building your own PC is a treat.

I keep thinking that I should fire up a game or two, but I always have better things to do with those chunks of time. Still, I feel... remiss in not utilizing the rather nice GPU that I bought in the late fall. I think that I've played 20-30 hours of The Outer Worlds (fun game) after buying the card, but that's about it. Sad.

WhyFi 07-06-20 07:26 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21571883)
Same here. I think I might add some segments today. There only a couple a long my route, and the location isn’t ideal to track my own progress. There is about three locations I would like to add one, also be interesting to see if anyone else is riding the same route as I am. I know one guy who lives in my neighborhood, he follows me on strava, and has started doing my 20 mile route.

To me, the best part of the Strava Stalk feature (FlyBy) is to check out the routes of people that you cross paths with on the road. Like the person following you, I'm following a handful of locals (that I don't know) primarily to see where they ride so that I can hit up some different stretches of road and tweak some of my own routes. I did a ride with a few guys from my club yesterday, and we covered some new-to-me roads. That, in combination with some route segments from some Stalkees, gave me a route tweak idea and I think that I've pieced together a nice 50 mile route to replace my favorite 45 mile route that was recently squashed due to a bridge closure.

datlas 07-06-20 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21571981)
I think that's long been the primary function for most, so I don't see any shark jumping. Obviously, serious cyclists are more interested in segments, leaderboards, improving vs themselves and vs others... but Strava has a lot of casuals. Do you think that you would have stopped looking at segments if they were still laid bare in front of you?

Of course I would still be eyeballing a few segments post-ride. It's a 30 second "check" that I used to do.

My annoyance is that this feature used to be free and now you have to pay for it. This is the ONLY aspect of Strava that I "miss" and I only miss it a smidge, so for me it's not worth getting the paid version (which I know has lots of other features, but I have zero interest in those).

If Strava had 3 tiers, a free version (like now), a basic version that kept the segments for $15/year, and the premium version, I would probably consider getting the basic paid version. But it's their product and they decide what to offer.

WhyFi 07-06-20 08:00 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21572011)
If Strava had 3 tiers, a free version (like now), a basic version that kept the segments for $15/year, and the premium version, I would probably consider getting the basic paid version. But it's their product and they decide what to offer.

They tried doing segmented subscriptions, similar to what you're talking about, a couple of years ago for $2.99/month, but people didn't go for it. To be fair, you could still view the full segment leaderboard for free, but adding the subscription pack allowed you to filter the leaderboards (gender, age, weight, etc), which didn't seem to be of much value. Now that the segments are behind a paywall, maybe they'll be able to revisit will better success. There does seem to be more levels of interest than "casual" and "OMG, I need my power curve and fitness and freshness, etc, etc" so leveraging that middle ground could be good, but I have a feeling that doing that any time soon would just provoke more ire. Maybe over the winter.

Velo Vol 07-06-20 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21571995)
To me, the best part of the Strava Stalk feature (FlyBy) is to check out the routes of people that you cross paths with on the road.

To me the best part is the stalking.

WhyFi 07-06-20 08:22 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21572043)
To me the best part is the stalking.

Velo Creeper :twitchy:

phrantic09 07-06-20 08:38 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21571987)
I keep thinking that I should fire up a game or two, but I always have better things to do with those chunks of time. Still, I feel... remiss in not utilizing the rather nice GPU that I bought in the late fall. I think that I've played 20-30 hours of The Outer Worlds (fun game) after buying the card, but that's about it. Sad.

I have no time for it. Iíve got a machine thatís a couple of years old I built that is mostly an internet machine. I definitely need an i5 OC by 1.2Ghz for that Chrome usage!

kissTheApex 07-06-20 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21571987)
I keep thinking that I should fire up a game or two, but I always have better things to do with those chunks of time. Still, I feel... remiss in not utilizing the rather nice GPU that I bought in the late fall. I think that I've played 20-30 hours of The Outer Worlds (fun game) after buying the card, but that's about it. Sad.

I keep toying with the idea of VR for mainly driving and WWII fighter sims, but just like you, I know Iím not even going to sit down for even 20-30 minutes a night, and chunk of money thatíd go towards a new rig is equivalent of a high end-ish crabon frame prone to spontaneous asplosions. So it hasnít happened for the past two years.

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21572080)
I have no time for it. Iíve got a machine thatís a couple of years old I built that is mostly an internet machine. I definitely need an i5 OC by 1.2Ghz for that Chrome usage!

The last gaming rig I built has a Pentium IV. A Pentium IV I tell ya! :roflmao2:

datlas 07-06-20 09:36 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21572043)
To me the best part is the stalking.

Speaking of which, any Chica flybys?? I see she is still riding in your general area.

bampilot06 07-06-20 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21571995)
To me, the best part of the Strava Stalk feature (FlyBy) is to check out the routes of people that you cross paths with on the road. Like the person following you, I'm following a handful of locals (that I don't know) primarily to see where they ride so that I can hit up some different stretches of road and tweak some of my own routes. I did a ride with a few guys from my club yesterday, and we covered some new-to-me roads. That, in combination with some route segments from some Stalkees, gave me a route tweak idea and I think that I've pieced together a nice 50 mile route to replace my favorite 45 mile route that was recently squashed due to a bridge closure.


The people that I follow that live by me, do a lot of destination rides. One day they are in smithfield, the next day williamsburg, and following day kiln creek.

indyfabz 07-06-20 10:44 AM

Thunder this early in the afternoon is rare around here.

Velo Vol 07-06-20 10:49 AM

RIP


Bah Humbug 07-06-20 11:11 AM

datlas, you were asking about battery drain on the Garmin with the Varia. On default settings this morning, I rode a little over two hours with HR, PM, and Varia and my somewhat old 520 only dropped to 85%.

seedsbelize 07-06-20 11:13 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21571878)
I really only look at segments to track my own efforts and monitor improvement.

During the brief period I used Strava, I was the only one on any of the segments. I am one of a handful of recreational road cyclists in the entire state. There are gobs of recreational mtb ers.

indyfabz 07-06-20 11:18 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21572315)

I rode through the Tabernas Desert in Andalucia, where a lot of that was filmed. I kept yelling ďBolndie!Ē The cemetery is actually in Northern Spain.

datlas 07-06-20 11:20 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21572355)
datlas, you were asking about battery drain on the Garmin with the Varia. On default settings this morning, I rode a little over two hours with HR, PM, and Varia and my somewhat old 520 only dropped to 85%.

Got it. My unit is in transit and should be coming soon. My hope is that it does not drain my puny Garmin 130 too much as it's battery life is marginal anyway.

datlas 07-06-20 11:20 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21572307)
Thunder this early in the afternoon is rare around here.

It's coming here too. We need the rain TBH.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.