Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

BillyD 09-08-21 08:12 AM

People who think 98 miles doesn't qualify as a century obviously haven't done a century in awhile. Or maybe never. Armchair cyclists. :lol:

Mojo31 09-08-21 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22220625)
People who think 98 miles doesn't qualify as a century obviously haven't done a century in awhile. Or maybe never. Armchair cyclists. :lol:

I've never done a century, and may not ever do so. But, if I made it to 98 miles, I'd sure as hell find a way to go 2 more!

LAJ 09-08-21 08:34 AM

98 miles isn't 100 miles, even if you're using common core math. The only time I will ride the extra 2 is on New Years Day, because the ride is called The New Years Day Century. Otherwise, it ends up where it ends up.

indyfabz 09-08-21 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220549)
Back in the brat pack days, Sheedy had that look that you knew it would be a fun ride. But, you also knew she might be a little bit psycho.

I have no idea what she is/was really like.

I read Andrew McCarthy's book "Brat: An 80s Story." Nice read. He does not go into depth about different personalities, but does mention that she was a bit quirky. What he does do is explain how the "The Brat Pack" never really existed, and the term was derogatory at first. It was a coined in an article that appeared in The New Yorker. IIRC, it was written by someone who went out one night with Estevez, Lowe and perhaps Nelson when things got a little wild. (As an aside, he notes that, considering his family background, Estevez should have known better.) In reality, all those stars never really hung out a lot acting like spoiled young actors partying it up all the time. In fact, he writes that Ringwald was (and is) a very private person in many ways. Interestingly, the "Brat Pack" moniker eventually became a positive term. There is a reason why those movies still air today and are liked by successive generations.

Highly recommend the book if you are looking for something relatively light that is filled with some neat stories. Dude has had a very interesting life.

big john 09-08-21 08:37 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22220520)
But can that guy deal with a passenger throwing a temper tantrum over not a getting a drink on a 15 min flight**********?

I donít think so.

I don't know how you do it. I was never good at dealing with crazy people.

Mojo31 09-08-21 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22220669)
I read Andrew McCarthy's book "Brat: An 80s Story." Nice read. He does not go into depth about different personalities, but does mention that she was a bit quirky. What he does do is explain how the "The Brat Pack" never really existed, and the term was derogatory at first. It was a coined in an article that appeared in The New Yorker. IIRC, it was written by someone who went out one night with Estevez, Lowe and perhaps Nelson when things got a little wild. (As an aside, he notes that, considering his family background, Estevez should have known better.) In reality, all those stars never really hung out a lot acting like spoiled young actors partying it up all the time. In fact, he writes that Ringwald was (and is) a very private person in many ways. Interestingly, the "Brat Pack" moniker eventually became a positive term. There is a reason why those movies still air today and are liked by successive generations.

Highly recommend the book if you are looking for something relatively light that is filled with some neat stories. Dude has had a very interesting life.

Might have to check that out.

I did attend one of Rob Lowe's lecture series shows a few years ago. He seems like he would be a very likeable guy who is grounded in his family. He freely admits that he had to battle some demons with drugs/alchohol.

Mojo31 09-08-21 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22220677)
I don't know how you do it. I was never good at dealing with crazy people.

That's usually up to the FAs. Pilots rarely if ever leave the cockpit these days (except to pee or sleep).

big john 09-08-21 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22220546)
I live in the gray zone.

But 98 miles doesn't count as a century.

Doesn't count to who? Is there a rule book somewhere? Is 199.9 miles a double century?
It's just folklore, just a fun thing people do for recreation. What if I do 100 miles but don't have a computer?
What if I did 99 miles and said it was "roughly" a century?
I've done literally hundreds of rides in the ball park of 100, some 110, some 98. It doesn't matter to me. I was still on the bike for hours, either suffering or having a great time. I can call them centuries if I want, even if the rules committee disallows some of them.

big john 09-08-21 08:50 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220684)
That's usually up to the FAs. Pilots rarely if ever leave the cockpit these days (except to pee or sleep).

We've all seen the recent videos. People be cray cray.

BillyD 09-08-21 08:56 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220570)
I did it for about a year after the kids graduated, but then stopped. . . . . That coupled with no kids in school took the fun out of it.

There were guys shooting for MaxPreps that were doing it to make money. My main thing was just to take pictures of the kids and their classmates for them. There was never any real money in it.

Agreed. I did a little youth football for my nephews when they were playing.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...137efc7919.jpg


Now days I do it to help publicize a non profit organization that seeks to help NYC kids get into college. I recently completed shooting a brutal 3 week basketball tournament, put some popular shots up on IG and supply a few kids digital action shots of themselves. That's it, no income expected.

indyfabz 09-08-21 09:00 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220682)

I did attend one of Rob Lowe's lecture series shows a few years ago. He seems like he would be a very likeable guy who is grounded in his family. He freely admits that he had to battle some demons with drugs/alchohol.

McCarthy's coke addiction caused a heart attack before he got clean. He was also drinking to excess.

Mojo31 09-08-21 09:01 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22220708)
We've all seen the recent videos. People be cray cray.

They are cray cray.

But, that's why the pilots don't leave the cockpit.

BillyD 09-08-21 09:03 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220662)
I've never done a century, and may not ever do so. But, if I made it to 98 miles, I'd sure as hell find a way to go 2 more!

Yeah but who's looking? Who's counting and keeping score, some dick on the sidelines drinking beer? If somebody does 98 they damn sure know they could have easily done those extra 2 if they wanted to, everybody knows that. And I expect they wouldn't have reported the century as a 98 if they thought they were talking to a reasonable person and not some jackass. It's ridiculous

Mojo31 09-08-21 09:12 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22220717)
Agreed. I did a little youth football for my nephews when they were playing.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...137efc7919.jpg


Now days I do it to help publicize a non profit organization that seeks to help NYC kids get into college. I recently completed shooting the brutal 3 week basketball tournament, put some popular shots up on IG and supply a few kids digital action shots of themselves. That's it, no income expected.

That's pretty cool! But, three weeks of a basketball tourny is brutal for sure.

I asked a guy that I know who also shot through MaxPreps how much he was making a month. He was "working" every Friday night and Saturday that he could. He said he made $250-300 in a good month. That maybe funded one decent lens a year (certainly not a big white).

I just wanted to have fun and do something that the kids would enjoy. I figured that if I wanted to make money I was better off spending some time at the desk doing legal work.

I always got a kick out of the kids who would screenshot the images on MP, watermark and all, for their social media posts without buying a copy. When I saw that, I'd send them a clean copy. Felt good to see them enjoy their pictures.

Mojo31 09-08-21 09:16 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22220741)
Yeah but who's looking? Who's counting and keeping score, some dick on the sidelines drinking beer? If somebody does 98 they damn sure know they could have easily done those extra 2 if they wanted to, everybody knows that. And I expect they wouldn't have reported the century as a 98 if they thought they were talking to a reasonable person and not some jackass. It's ridiculous

I wouldn't do the extra 2 for the street cred or to satisfy anyone else. I would do it for me - to know that I met the challenge. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

The first time my wife did 30, she wanted to quit at something like 28.5. I talked her into completing the entire 30, and then we gave each other a high five. And, yes, the extra 1.5 was just riding around the block a few times. That's just how we roll.

WhyFi 09-08-21 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220682)
Might have to check that out.

I did attend one of Rob Lowe's lecture series shows a few years ago. He seems like he would be a very likeable guy who is grounded in his family. He freely admits that he had to battle some demons with drugs/alchohol.

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered Rob Lowe's Comedy Central roast in 2016. Yow. Some funny and absolutely brutal stuff. Rob had the fortune (foresight?) to have Ann Coulter there, so she took the brunt of the abuse. Man, did they savage her.

big john 09-08-21 09:28 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220773)
I wouldn't do the extra 2 for the street cred or to satisfy anyone else. I would do it for me - to know that I met the challenge. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

The first time my wife did 30, she wanted to quit at something like 28.5. I talked her into completing the entire 30, and then we gave each other a high five. And, yes, the extra 1.5 was just riding around the block a few times. That's just how we roll.

What about years later, when 30 is just a warm up, or a spin around the neighborhood? Could you, in good conscious, stop at 28.5? Of course, because by then whether you ticked over those last 1.5 miles would be meaningless.
If there is a milestone, say 100 miles, most people are going to be sure and click over 100 the first time they do it. Years later it doesn't mean so much and becomes just another long ride and what happens during the ride is much more important than what the odometer says at the end. At least that's my opinion.

Mojo31 09-08-21 09:30 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22220799)
What about years later, when 30 is just a warm up, or a spin around the neighborhood? Could you, in good conscious, stop at 28.5? Of course, because by then whether you ticked over those last 1.5 miles would be meaningless.
If there is a milestone, say 100 miles, most people are going to be sure and click over 100 the first time they do it. Years later it doesn't mean so much and becomes just another long ride and what happens during the ride is much more important than what the odometer says at the end. At least that's my opinion.

I feel the same way.

Yes, I can stop whenever I feel like it. I don't feel like I have to tick a box unless I set out to do so.

LesterOfPuppets 09-08-21 09:38 AM

I record rides on my phone, so my centuries are probably 5 miles off anyways.

C'est la vie.

WhyFi 09-08-21 09:49 AM

I generally don't feel compelled to hit a round number, but I will admit that I'm conscious of my Eddington number and I'll do a little extra if it'll further my progress towards movin' up. Yeah, it's dumb, but dumb motivation is better than no motivation.

Mojo31 09-08-21 09:53 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22220842)
I generally don't feel compelled to hit a round number, but I will admit that I'm conscious of my Eddington number and I'll do a little extra if it'll further my progress towards movin' up. Yeah, it's dumb, but dumb motivation is better than no motivation.

Let us know when you get to 365/365. :thumb:

WhyFi 09-08-21 10:00 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220851)
Let us know when you get to 365/365. :thumb:

:foo:

Highly doubtful that anyone, even Amanda Coker, has an Eddington as high as 365.

Mojo31 09-08-21 10:07 AM

Was being sarcastic. That's an average of over 15 mph, 24X365.

BillyD 09-08-21 10:16 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22220842)
I generally don't feel compelled to hit a round number, but I will admit that I'm conscious of my Eddington number and I'll do a little extra if it'll further my progress towards movin' up. Yeah, it's dumb, but dumb motivation is better than no motivation.

I'm 100% in favor of a gym trainer pushing me to squeeze two more out of exhausted muscles, because I know I will benefit disproportionately from those extra two. That two makes a difference. But two more miles out of 100 makes no difference at all except to the pedantic on the sidelines. It's a joke.

WhyFi 09-08-21 10:17 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220866)
Was being sarcastic. That's an average of over 15 mph, 24X365.

:foo:

Okay. Still not making sense, though. Eddington is just the number of rides at a mileage equal to or greater than that number; rides don't need to be contained within 24 hour days and it's lifetime, not annual. My current Eddington is a measly 64, but 67 is within a year's reach.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.