Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   One of those things that just happen (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1241702)

tigat 11-04-21 09:31 AM

One of those things that just happen

Somehow a lone cobblestone found its way onto the paved MUT I have ridden 1000 times. Commuting home from work in the late afternoon shadows, I was clever enough to find it and clear it from the trail - shortly after it bounced me into a hard crash and a 5 hour visit to the ER. No one to blame but myself.

Wave cell helmet is toast, but it worked. Major bruise on my left temple but no TBI. Assortment of other bruises that are going to take a bit to resolve.

My friends are sending me pictures of e-trikes. Maybe they have a point.

spelger 11-04-21 10:16 AM

glad you lived to tell the tale. you were not as lucky as me and my recent adventure involved a driver.

your helmet did it's job.

MinnMan 11-04-21 11:03 AM

Ouch! Those shadowed times can be the most dangerous. Lights aren't much help then.

bruce19 11-04-21 11:18 AM

What point is that?

blacknbluebikes 11-04-21 11:47 AM

hope you weren't on the very green bike

msalvetti 11-04-21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tigat (Post 22295544)
Wave cell helmet is toast, but it worked. Major bruise on my left temple but no TBI. Assortment of other bruises that are going to take a bit to resolve.

Yikes! Glad you got through this with just bruises. Nice to hear the Wave cell worked, I've been looking at those.

Mark

Biker395 11-04-21 03:09 PM

I'll never know for sure (TBI and lost about 1 hour of my memory), but the guy that brought me to the ER after my last crash thought I might have run over a fist sized rock. I have no clue how I could have missed something that big, but I guess it happens to the best of us.

Glad it's mostly bruises. Heal up fast!

rsbob 11-04-21 10:20 PM

Good to hear that the helmet did its job and saved your gray matter. Hope the rest of you heals quickly.

qcpmsame 11-05-21 05:28 PM

Whew, glad you weren’t hurt any worse. I had been thinking about you the last month or so, must have been the worry vibes trying to wake me up and PM you.

Stay safe and ride when you feel ready.👍

Bill

Kabuki12 11-05-21 06:11 PM

Glad you’re ok and yes, helmets work. Don’t ask me how I know. I have a feeling several of us have tested our helmet’s integrity! Get better and back to pedaling.

tigat 11-06-21 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 22295695)
What point is that?

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure.

tigat 11-06-21 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 22296081)
I'll never know for sure (TBI and lost about 1 hour of my memory), but the guy that brought me to the ER after my last crash thought I might have run over a fist sized rock. I have no clue how I could have missed something that big, but I guess it happens to the best of us.

Glad it's mostly bruises. Heal up fast!

Thx. This crash is tilting me toward more gravel riding. There, you are expecting rocks and bounces.

tigat 11-06-21 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes (Post 22295746)
hope you weren't on the very green bike

Sadly I was. Fortunately, after straightening out the handle bars and left brake lever the only damage appears to be some chips in the paint on the left hand chain stay - because I leaned it against a rock while I was assessing whether to call my wife or 911. With the damage on my helmet, I knew that I was headed in to the ER regardless.

BobbyG 11-06-21 08:53 AM

Glad it wasn't worse.

pbass 11-06-21 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by tigat (Post 22297941)
Thx. This crash is tilting me toward more gravel riding. There, you are expecting rocks and bounces.

Glad it wasn't worse! I'm at the point now where the pavement exists solely to get me to and from the "gravel" (in my area it's dirt fire roads and singletrack). Aside from how bad people drive these days, I've always said I'd rather hit something mother nature created than pavement if I crash (which certainly has happened on occasion, usually because I'm trying to "send it"). Except for the really big rocks of course. But as you say, you're just more prepared for bumps out there - you're in that zone.

Chuckles1 11-06-21 09:50 AM

You got unlucky

Get back in the saddle, a little bit wiser. Shadows are tough. Maybe go slower until you regain confidence. I go fairly slow and stay off paved roads once fall comes and the light is constantly changing with the shadows. You got unlucky, but thats part of life. Only you can tell if you feel safe enough to try again.

ColonelSanders 11-06-21 10:27 AM

Somehow a lone cobblestone found its way onto the paved MUT I have ridden 1000 times. Commuting home from work in the late afternoon shadows, I was clever enough to find it and clear it from the trail - shortly after it bounced me into a hard crash and a 5 hour visit to the ER. No one to blame but myself.

How big was the cobblestone?

woodcraft 11-07-21 11:40 AM

Ouch. Sorry to hear that, & glad the damage is manageable.

jppe 11-07-21 06:36 PM

Geez. Sorry to hear about the spill.. Those darn things can be a real menace for sure. I hit one on a group ride that no one ahead of me pointed out. Went airborne, landed on my hip and the next day I had a total hip replacement. Other than flatting both tires the bike fared a whole heck of a lot better than me.

Helmets do work!!!

tigat 11-08-21 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 22298172)
How big was the cobblestone?

Irregular shape, 3 to 4 inch diameter.

tigat 11-08-21 10:36 AM

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Short update. Felt much better by Friday, and by Saturday I had ditched the crutch and was handling stairs and a 2 mile walk.

Then came my COVID booster, previously scheduled for Saturday late afternoon. I had no adverse reaction to the first two shots, so what the heck.

By Sunday morning every bump, bruise and muscle pull had been exaggerated to the point of torture. Lost the whole day lying on the couch mindlessly watching football.

Then it passed. Thinking a light round on the trainer tonight is in order.

rumrunn6 11-08-21 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tigat (Post 22300075)
Lost the whole day lying on the couch mindlessly watching football.

:thumb: sounds good. I don't understand how you cleared it from the trail & then it caused you to fall. did someone else put it back on the trail?

jppe 11-08-21 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by tigat (Post 22300075)

Short update. Felt much better by Friday, and by Saturday I had ditched the crutch and was handling stairs and a 2 mile walk.

Then came my COVID booster, previously scheduled for Saturday late afternoon. I had no adverse reaction to the first two shots, so what the heck.

By Sunday morning every bump, bruise and muscle pull had been exaggerated to the point of torture. Lost the whole day lying on the couch mindlessly watching football.

Then it passed. Thinking a light round on the trainer tonight is in order.

Let’s hope that’s just an indication of numerous antibodies being formed! The booster hit me the same way but I haven’t noticed any other effects a week or two later. At least not things that I can’t blame on anything other than getting older!!

tigat 12-18-21 07:42 AM

Second Update: By the end of week 1, I was back out riding - both gravel and road - or on the trainer almost daily. Two weeks ago, about five weeks in, my range of motion in my left leg, which had taken a deep thigh bruise, started a steady decline and the pain was back with a vengeance. By the end of the week, I couldn't complete a pedal stroke, even in a controlled environment like the trainer, and was taking stairs one step at a time.

Nice to live next door to a top notch orthopedic surgeon. Knocked on his door. Within about 5 minutes, he suggested that I might be experiencing the growth of some bone tissue inside my left quad. Apparently it's a thing and even has a fancy Latin name - myositis ossificans. X-rays at his office Monday confirmed the diagnosis.

Who knew?

Ultimately there may be a surgical remedy, but for now its just stretch and bear it.

jaxgtr 12-18-21 05:25 PM

glad you are not injured and happy your were wearing a helmet.