Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

ls01 07-05-20 03:06 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21570043)
I saw you guys talking about this before. Does wahoo do the same thing? I find it strange that it would know. I guess if you live in PHX than you are always at 100 percent?

Does it do the same thing for cold weather riding?

There is no acclimatization for cold weather. You just lose your hot weather acclimatization.

ls01 07-05-20 03:12 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21570427)
I need to wash the Fatboy.

That just reads wrong on all levels

ls01 07-05-20 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21570541)
Any Smoke on the Water?

#DeepPurple

That's not smoke , its steam.

datlas 07-05-20 03:21 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21570775)
BITD (Early/mid 70's) my mom called the starter Herman.
#TheMoreYouKnow

You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.

ls01 07-05-20 03:23 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21570777)
Figured as much, though havnt really had any issues until this point.
Still donít have full use of my left hand, but decided I would suck it up until tuesday. I start a four day trip, if itís not better by the time I get home then off to a doctor.

yeah, that's probably not good. I mean you being a pilot and all... Most likely too much pressure on the bars , irritates the nerves that run through the hands. Being uncomfortable in the saddle we look for ways to sit that takes pressure of our ass. leading to discomfort elsewhere. Find a saddle that fits and go from there.
Edit: don't forget the longer you are in the saddle the more things will change. A saddle thats ok for 40 miles might be torture for 80. Also 1 or 2 degrees of tilt can be the difference between heaven and hell.

bampilot06 07-05-20 03:27 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21570890)
yeah, that's probably not good. I mean you being a pilot and all... Most likely too much pressure on the bars , irritates the nerves that run through the hands. Being uncomfortable in the saddle we look for ways to sit that takes pressure of our ass. leading to discomfort elsewhere. Find a saddle that fits and go from there.
Edit: don't forget the longer you are in the saddle the more things will change. A saddle thats ok for 40 miles might be torture for 80. Also 1 or 2 degrees of tilt can be the difference between heaven and hell.


bah humbug may be sending me a saddle soon, it would be sweet if that fixed the problem. I havnt thought about changing the tilt yet. Thought I would try the new one, and if that didnít help then off to get fit. I donít know of any good fitters in the area. I was just gunna head over to trek, I think itís roughly 75 bucks for a fit.

DougRNS 07-05-20 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by gnome (Post 21570712)
yes.

Symple Symon?

ls01 07-05-20 03:29 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21570800)
I looked through a box of stuff and I actually have a Halo II headband I ordered in 2012(!) but never opened. I guess I should try it out, eh?

Also found some bar tape that can be used. In worse shape are the brifter covers. I guess eBay is the place to go for that? (ancient 6600s)

check Amazon too, sometimes the herd mentality drives eBay prices off the chart

Velo Vol 07-05-20 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21570885)
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.

Seems you didn't appreciate the inflammatory humour of my IL-6 suggestion. Sad.

Pirkaus 07-05-20 03:32 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21570885)
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.

Name it Audrey, aka Little Shop of Horrors, feed me!

DougRNS 07-05-20 03:35 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21570885)
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.

Jackie in honor of your cat.

ls01 07-05-20 03:35 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21570899)
bah humbug may be sending me a saddle soon, it would be sweet if that fixed the problem. I havnt thought about changing the tilt yet. Thought I would try the new one, and if that didnít help then off to get fit. I donít know of any good fitters in the area. I was just gunna head over to trek, I think itís roughly 75 bucks for a fit.

thats a good starting point.
1st measure you sit bones so you know what width ssddle you need.
I use 2 layers of cardboard. I place the cardboard on the porch sit down on it and lift my feet slightly to put pressure on the cardboard. Get up. Take a crayon or chalk and rub it on the flat over the cardboard to reveal the dimples left by you sit bones . measure center to center, add 1 centemeter to that number. That's your sit bone width.

ls01 07-05-20 03:37 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21570885)
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.

name it Oscar after ijens old bike

datlas 07-05-20 03:38 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21570909)
Seems you didn't appreciate the inflammatory humour of my IL-6 suggestion. Sad.

Correct. It's more of a multiplier than an inflamer. Sorry. Try again. Try harder.


Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21570914)
Name it Audrey, aka Little Shop of Horrors, feed me!

Winning.

Bah Humbug 07-05-20 03:42 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21570795)
Uh... slacker. :rolleyes:

Remember when I was uncomfortable riding outside at all? :p

Velo Vol 07-05-20 03:43 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21570924)
Correct. It's more of a multiplier than an inflamer. Sorry. Try again. Try harder.

I thought it's what puffs the bread up, in lieu of yeast?

datlas 07-05-20 03:47 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21570931)
I thought it's what puffs the bread up, in lieu of yeast?

Yes, but it's a living thing.

Apparently it contains natural "wild" yeast plus lactobacilli. The combination ferments the dough and the fermentation gives the bubbles that make it rise.

datlas 07-05-20 03:48 PM

I guess I could name it "Bubbles."

ls01 07-05-20 03:49 PM

So Friday we were doing 80 miler. I started off ok. It got hot fast. I had problems holding 22 mph in the line and couldn't pull at all. I noticed my heart rate was way low for me. And I couldn't really get over 115 bpm. I was extremely distressed. By the last 20 miles I couldn't even rotate through, I stayed in the back and sucked wheels.
I think now I know what may have happened. I woke up with the onset of heart burn. I get it frequently and medicate for it. The problem is I am a creature of habit. Instead of only taking my Omeprazole, I took all of my meds. Blood pressure cholesterol and aspirin. I also took them the previous evening , pretty much doubling my dosage.
I took yesterday off the bike. Today I was back to normally 150, 160 bpm no problem.
​​​​​best part, no meds since Friday. 117 over 67 bp today after my ride

datlas 07-05-20 03:54 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21570943)
So Friday we were doing 80 miler. I started off ok. It got hot fast. I had problems holding 22 mph in the line and couldn't pull at all. I noticed my heart rate was way low for me. And I couldn't really get over 115 bpm. I was extremely distressed. By the last 20 miles I couldn't even rotate through, I stayed in the back and sucked wheels.
I think now I know what may have happened. I woke up with the onset of heart burn. I get it frequently and medicate for it. The problem is I am a creature of habit. Instead of only taking my Omeprazole, I took all of my meds. Blood pressure cholesterol and aspirin. I also took them the previous evening , pretty much doubling my dosage.
I took yesterday off the bike. Today I was back to normally 150, 160 bpm no problem.
​​​​​best part, no meds since Friday. 117 over 67 bp today after my ride

If one of your BP meds is a beta blocker or a certain type of calcium channel blocker (non-dihydropyridine class) then that is almost certainly the bad actor.

I sometimes joke that the best way to dope your way towards winning a race is to put a beta blocker in your opponent's water bottle.

It's a JOKE but it would work, prolly.

Velo Vol 07-05-20 04:03 PM

So blood pressure medicine prevents your heart from beating faster?

rjones28 07-05-20 04:06 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21570865)
That just reads wrong on all levels

:innocent:

ls01 07-05-20 04:08 PM

The second thing.
Flat tires. Thursday I cut the sidewall on a rear tire on my Camaro. Good year run flats. They were getting on in years so I wasn't crushed. (They rode like poo, very harsh, I was ready to move on) after shopping around I found a new tire shop. Hes getting me some Firestone 500's , $820.00.
Better than the $1300.00 that I was quoted by Belle tire.
So home and put on the stripper shoes. (Spare set)
Oil change, fix door locks, realign pas window. Drive it to mom and dads for dinner. Time to go home. Left front blows out. Don't know why. Call my brother. Come get me! Home. Get the other ,spare pair from the firebird. Get the Camaro home. Order 2 Nitto's to replace front stripper shoes.
Today. Wake up. Get to ride and..... get a flat.:troll:on the bike this time.
Rubber is no match for MI. Roads.
Ygtbsm!

rjones28 07-05-20 04:09 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21570929)
Remember when I was uncomfortable riding outside at all? :p

Look at you go. :thumb:

ls01 07-05-20 04:13 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21570951)
If one of your BP meds is a beta blocker or a certain type of calcium channel blocker (non-dihydropyridine class) then that is almost certainly the bad actor.

I sometimes joke that the best way to dope your way towards winning a race is to put a beta blocker in your opponent's water bottle.

It's a JOKE but it would work, prolly.

Yeah, its the only thing I can think of. I've done the back to back with the meds before but never before a ride with a gaggle of hamers heads. I felt ok just unable to do,, if that makes sense..
meds are Atorvastatin , Atenelol, asprin and omeprazole


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.