Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

sshakari 07-01-21 02:11 PM

Hot here in San Fernando Valley. Just installed favero power meter pedals. Going for a ride in the morning, but have never used a pm before.

genejockey 07-01-21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22125484)
Hot here in San Fernando Valley. Just installed favero power meter pedals. Going for a ride in the morning, but have never used a pm before.

Try not to run into anything while staring at the screen on your head unit. :rolleyes:

genejockey 07-01-21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22125478)
No, it's not.

Summer is over and gone.

That's VV - always looking ahead. Gloomily.

Velo Vol 07-01-21 02:35 PM

Another successful mowing. I rebounded from last week's three-drink fiasco. Back on my game today--one drink only, 31 gulps at the garden hose.

I saw a snake again. Maybe the same one as a couple weeks ago? But this time it was in a much smaller area of ivy, surrounded by lawn. I was worried I would do a LesterOfPuppets and run over it with the mower.

LAJ 07-01-21 02:35 PM

Welcome to the dark side.

phrantic09 07-01-21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22125316)
New computer day at work. A hot new MacBook Pro. :bday:

kudos

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22125376)
Looking forward to three days of riding this weekend. I haven't been able to get in much more than 2 per week for a few weeks. Just too much going on all the time.

Riding and pool time while BBQ'ing might just be the weekend ticket.

looking forward to three days of rain

sshakari 07-01-21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22125524)
Welcome to the dark side.

dark side it is! there is going to be so much data that Im going to pass out!

big john 07-01-21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22125368)

No softball and Monday off work, means 3 days of bike riding and honey-dos. I expect there will also be some grilling and beer-drinking going on, too.

Any thoughts on Mount Baldy? Some of the roads in the area are closed to cars all weekend. Some friends are going up Saturday morning, I might join them but don't have my wheel back yet so if I do, it will be on the old bike.

Mojo31 07-01-21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22125522)
Another successful mowing. I rebounded from last week's three-drink fiasco. Back on my game today--one drink only, 31 gulps at the garden hose.

I saw a snake again. Maybe the same one as a couple weeks ago? But this time it was in a much smaller area of ivy, surrounded by lawn. I was worried I would do a LesterOfPuppets and run over it with the mower.

Have you ever run over one with a mower?

I've done it twice - both water moccasins. Our first house had a creek through the rear property line. I didn't know it, but moccasins moved into the area one spring. The first one I ran over with the riding mower while mowing the back yard. The second was just a few weeks later and ran over it with the push mower while mowing along the edge of the creek. Scared the crap out of me both times. We immediately put up a "For Sale by Owner" sign and sold the house within two weeks. It was time to get out of there since we had two young kids, and I was afraid of them being in the back yard.

Mojo31 07-01-21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22125532)

I found that with my left side crank PM, I only exert the left side of my brain.

Eric F 07-01-21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22125546)
Any thoughts on Mount Baldy? Some of the roads in the area are closed to cars all weekend. Some friends are going up Saturday morning, I might join them but don't have my wheel back yet so if I do, it will be on the old bike.

I've never done the ride up the Baldy road, so I don't really have any good input to offer. I've done the GMR-GRR-Baldy Village route, which is good riding, especially if there are no cars on the roads.

LAJ 07-01-21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22125532)

Oh yeah... Left side power, right side power, Cycling Dynamics, which measure how long you stand, where in the circle your power is, all kinds of good stuff. In the end, you'll use it to stay in zone for your workouts, and the rest is fluff. Of course, the first time out, I expect you'll go balls out, and measure your sprint power. Let us know how that works out.

In all honesty, it'll change how you ride, and you'll enjoy the goodies it provides.

big john 07-01-21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22125578)
I've never done the ride up the Baldy road, so I don't really have any good input to offer. I've done the GMR-GRR-Baldy Village route, which is good riding, especially if there are no cars on the roads.

This would be GMR-GRR to the village. Some might want to go to the ski lifts. I've done Baldy Road from the bottom, much prefer GMR. Plus, Baldy Road will have cars.
My favorite way is 39 to East Fork to Little GMR but there will likely be too many cars up to the closure.

sshakari 07-01-21 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22125546)

appreciate the heads-up John. Love the Baldy ride.

Velo Vol 07-01-21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22125553)
Have you ever run over one with a mower?

I've done it twice - both water moccasins. Our first house had a creek through the rear property line. I didn't know it, but moccasins moved into the area one spring. The first one I ran over with the riding mower while mowing the back yard. The second was just a few weeks later and ran over it with the push mower while mowing along the edge of the creek. Scared the crap out of me both times. We immediately put up a "For Sale by Owner" sign and sold the house within two weeks. It was time to get out of there since we had two young kids, and I was afraid of them being in the back yard.

Nope. Nor do I think I've seen a water moccasin (in the wild).

Pretty rare to see snakes there. To the extent they exist, I imagine they hang out in the wooded area (there's a bank that goes down to a creek on the north side). Fortunately, they don't hang out on the lawn.

sshakari 07-01-21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22125652)
This would be GMR-GRR to the village. Some might want to go to the ski lifts. I've done Baldy Road from the bottom, much prefer GMR. Plus, Baldy Road will have cars.
My favorite way is 39 to East Fork to Little GMR but there will likely be too many cars up to the closure.

GMR is the way to go up. I've descended via Baldy Road & my hands were so tired from breaking. Its a really scenic ride I've done it a few times and bonked twice in the hills. Bring extra food and water + add a Coke or a Pepsi.

gnome 07-01-21 04:14 PM

no venomous, poisonous or even mostly harmless land snakes here. no dangerous land critters, except for inattentive drivers. welcome to paradise.

sshakari 07-01-21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22125609)
Oh yeah... Left side power, right side power, Cycling Dynamics, which measure how long you stand, where in the circle your power is, all kinds of good stuff. In the end, you'll use it to stay in zone for your workouts, and the rest is fluff. Of course, the first time out, I expect you'll go balls out, and measure your sprint power. Let us know how that works out.

In all honesty, it'll change how you ride, and you'll enjoy the goodies it provides.

thanks for the tips. I will only use the zone workouts and maybe right vs. left leg as Im sure they are very different. I will not be crushing any records, just looking to be more fit at my age.

Velo Vol 07-01-21 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22125674)
welcome to paradise.

Nope.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ad91a3d570.png

big john 07-01-21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22125670)
GMR is the way to go up. I've descended via Baldy Road & my hands were so tired from breaking. Its a really scenic ride I've done it a few times and bonked twice in the hills. Bring extra food and water + add a Coke or a Pepsi.

Sometimes when I go up there on a hot day I will take a disposable bottle in my pocket or even a Camelbak. I've also been up there when there is ice on the road before the drop into the village.
Went up twice for the ATOC, one time they had a beer concession and bottled water and snacks before the last kilometer. Another time there was an Italian group on the ramp from the village to GRR and they had sandwiches and all manner of cold drinks. The slightly drunk guy invited me to sit there when the peloton went by. He even pushed me when I left going uphill.
Had my 60th birthday party at the village. 7 years ago now.

Eric F 07-01-21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22125652)

I agree about 39-East Fork-GMR. That's my favorite loop in that area. Descending the front side of GMR is worth the grind from East Fork up the back side.

Velo Vol 07-01-21 06:38 PM

Slow night. Everyone must be working.

LesterOfPuppets 07-01-21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22125692)

That's some serious rainfall.

Velo Vol 07-01-21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22125821)
That's some serious rainfall.

We're serious +.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f3055b8a66.png

Mojo31 07-01-21 07:38 PM

Had first golf lesson since I quit playing 20 years ago. Boy, I suck.