Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

indyfabz 07-23-21 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154589)
Past performance is not an indicator of future results. Sad.

True ever since I turned 40.

Bah Humbug 07-23-21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22154727)
Gee, I wonder if Mrs. GeneJockey's 20 year old Sienna with low, low mileage and a fresh Smog Certificate would bring a nice price?

The problem is, of course, that taking advantage of a sellers' market leaves you at the mercy of that same sellers' market if you want to buy a replacement.

The trick is to be gifted a car from the parents, who managed to make the Lexus dealer find them another for sticker.

Bah Humbug 07-23-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22154750)
True ever since I turned 40.

Shoot me now in fifteen months.

LesterOfPuppets 07-23-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22154723)
Nice. I'm not very knowledgeable about such things, but what is the benefit of that spoke pattern? Sure looks cool.

Benefit is you can tell they're Campagnolo from 20 metres off :)

Mojo31 07-23-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154764)
Shoot me now in fifteen months.

Wait till the warranty expires. It only gets worse.

indyfabz 07-23-21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22154770)
Wait till the warranty expires. It only gets worse.

Wish I would get a robo call offering me an extended warranty on my body rather than my car.

Mojo31 07-23-21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22154796)
Wish I would get a robo call offering me an extended warranty on my body rather than my car.

Just better performance from an oil change and lube would be nice.

Bah Humbug 07-23-21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22154806)
Just better performance from a … lube would be nice.

I think they make one… :innocent:

Trsnrtr 07-23-21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22154723)
Nice. I'm not very knowledgeable about such things, but what is the benefit of that spoke pattern? Sure looks cool.

Beats me. Campy has been using this pattern since the early 2000s. I had a set from 2005 that I put a zillion miles on and never broke a spoke or trued them. I sold them to a guy just last winter for a beater bike he was building.

A quick search yields this: https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Cam..._spoke_pattern

MoAlpha 07-23-21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22154796)

Very expensive.

MoAlpha 07-23-21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22154592)
And you'll get s***ty graphics. I already have those. I want The Good Stuff - shadows, details, frame rate, all that stuff!

You mean it gets even better? Actually my frame rate is fine and I think I'm seeing everything in the promotional screens, but what do I know? I'll have to check on the shadows.

sshakari 07-23-21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22154813)
Beats me. Campy has been using this pattern since the early 2000s. I had a set from 2005 that I put a zillion miles on and never broke a spoke or trued them. I sold them to a guy just last winter for a beater bike he was building.

A quick search yields this: https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Cam..._spoke_pattern

take an updated pic of your bike :giver:

Mojo31 07-23-21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154811)
I think they make one… :innocent:

Yes, one that is useful for external friction reduction,, but not on for internal lubrication of things that don't quite move like they used to.

Trsnrtr 07-23-21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22154842)
take an updated pic of your bike :giver:

Bike is loaded in the car for tomorrow's ride. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

genejockey 07-23-21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22154825)
You mean it gets even better? Actually my frame rate is fine and I think I'm seeing everything in the promotional screens, but what do I know? I'll have to check on the shadows.

From everything I've read, Zwift looks best run on a PC with a good graphics card, even though it will run on just about anything. Also there's a point where further expenditures won't yield better graphics, so you don't need to drop $3K on a high-end gamer PC.

I'm trying to do the whole thing for under $500, because I can't justify spending any more than that on a computer that's going to run in the garage and won't be usable in the rest of the house.

datlas 07-23-21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22154874)
From everything I've read, Zwift looks best run on a PC with a good graphics card, even though it will run on just about anything. Also there's a point where further expenditures won't yield better graphics, so you don't need to drop $3K on a high-end gamer PC.

I'm trying to do the whole thing for under $500, because I can't justify spending any more than that on a computer that's going to run in the garage and won't be usable in the rest of the house.

I run it on my 5 year old macbook laptop with an HDMI connection to a monitor and it looks good enough for my needs.

WhyFi 07-23-21 03:13 PM

I'll donate a GPU for shipping cost. Big bastard, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the $20+ neighborhood. It's an AMD, a three or four generations old. Don't recall the model (maybe a 390?), but it should handle Zwift easily. It does need additional connectors from the PSU, though (either the 8 pin or two 6 pin) so you'd need a reasonably robust PSU. If interested, I can dig it out and give you specifics when I get home later.

MoAlpha 07-23-21 03:31 PM

Let us know what you end up with. Anything to improve the experience helps.

genejockey 07-23-21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154902)
I run it on my 5 year old macbook laptop with an HDMI connection to a monitor and it looks good enough for my needs.

NEEDS, sure. But what about WANTS?

genejockey 07-23-21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22154913)
I'll donate a GPU for shipping cost. Big bastard, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the $20+ neighborhood. It's an AMD, a three or four generations old. Don't recall the model (maybe a 390?), but it should handle Zwift easily. It does need additional connectors from the PSU, though (either the 8 pin or two 6 pin) so you'd need a reasonably robust PSU. If interested, I can dig it out and give you specifics when I get home later.

Interested! Lemme know what you find out! THANX!

genejockey 07-23-21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22154929)
Let us know what you end up with. Anything to improve the experience helps.

I WAS running it on my home laptop through the spare TV in the garage (it's more of a finished family room/workshop), which gave it okay graphics, AND the startup and world-change times weren't atrocious. AND I could play my music through the speakers. Then it started having a weird HDMI connectivity problem where the TV screen would go black for seconds and the speakers would go silent, then it would come back. This would happen a couple times in a row over a minute or so, then it would be fine for 10 minutes or more, then happen again. This happened with the TV, and with a monitor I use for work, and with different HDMI cables, etc. Funny thing is, the computer never registers that the HDMI connection is broken, so it doesn't transfer Zwift back to the laptop screen. It wasn't just Zwift, or when Zwift was running, but really any time I tried to run another monitor via the HDMI socket.

I actually did a couple races that way, but clearly that's suboptimal!

So I started using a lower-grade laptop The Older Boy bought but largely ignores, but it takes at least 5 minutes to launch Zwift - I start it up, then go change into my riding clothes, and when I come back it's STILL launching - and loading a world takes 2-5 minutes, too.

Velo Vol 07-23-21 04:28 PM

LesterOfPuppets Look what's in the greater metro PHX area. :bday:

indyfabz 07-23-21 05:41 PM

Left happy hour to find the rear tire flat. 15 min. walk of shame. :mad:

MoAlpha 07-23-21 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22154996)
I WAS running it on my home laptop through the spare TV in the garage (it's more of a finished family room/workshop), which gave it okay graphics, AND the startup and world-change times weren't atrocious. AND I could play my music through the speakers. Then it started having a weird HDMI connectivity problem where the TV screen would go black for seconds and the speakers would go silent, then it would come back. This would happen a couple times in a row over a minute or so, then it would be fine for 10 minutes or more, then happen again. This happened with the TV, and with a monitor I use for work, and with different HDMI cables, etc. Funny thing is, the computer never registers that the HDMI connection is broken, so it doesn't transfer Zwift back to the laptop screen. It wasn't just Zwift, or when Zwift was running, but really any time I tried to run another monitor via the HDMI socket.

I actually did a couple races that way, but clearly that's suboptimal!

So I started using a lower-grade laptop The Older Boy bought but largely ignores, but it takes at least 5 minutes to launch Zwift - I start it up, then go change into my riding clothes, and when I come back it's STILL launching - and loading a world takes 2-5 minutes, too.

I have a more or less top of the line Apple laptop from work. I’ll try it on that and if it makes a big difference I’ll look for something legal.

LesterOfPuppets 07-23-21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22155002)
LesterOfPuppets Look what's in the greater metro PHX area. :bday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjztvddhZmI

Yeah, those are all over Tempe. They give me the willies.