Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

WhyFi 03-29-22 01:27 PM

I see that Garmin has increased my VO2Max estimate. I love being told sweet, sweet nothings lies.

genejockey 03-29-22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22455016)
I usually get the cheep batteries, and get 4 years out of them these days. Somewhere along the line prices doubled and lifespans halved

Progress!!!

Jack Tone 03-29-22 01:33 PM

Speaking of cheap batteries. My old Garmin 520 now uses 3/4 of it's charge in just a few hours with heart rate and varia connected. I ordered a battery replacement kit for $20 and will see how that works out.

WhyFi 03-29-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22455039)
Speaking of cheap batteries. My old Garmin 520 now uses 3/4 of it's charge in just a few hours with heart rate and varia connected. I ordered a battery replacement kit for $20 and will see how that works out.

Just an fyi, there was a known issue with the 520 and the varia, where in the varia would kick on the backlight and drain the battery really quickly. I think that that was solved via update but you might want to look into.

genejockey 03-29-22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22455039)

Mine, too. I generally get a "Low Battery" warning about 52 miles into a ride. The Varia I'm using is NOT the one with the light.

EDIT: I reread WhyFi's comment, and yeah, mine does that. Maybe there's a setting?

seedsbelize2 03-29-22 01:50 PM

Another great ride. As the temperature rises and the energy returns. The big news is that the train of dump trucks, that was keeping me off my favorite route , has found another way in. The engineers finally figured out that the dump trucks and the everyday people don't mix well, and the everyday people were the losers. I returned at 10:30, having totally forgotten about my 11:00 massage. I'm resting comfortably now, with it all under my belt.

DougRNS 03-29-22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22455063)
Another great ride. As the temperature rises and the energy returns. The big news is that the train of dump trucks, that was keeping me off my favorite route , has found another way in. The engineers finally figured out that the dump trucks and the everyday people don't mix well, and the everyday people were the losers. I returned at 10:30, having totally forgotten about my 11:00 massage. I'm resting comfortably now, with it all under my belt.

a massage below the belt? Family forum, reported.

WhyFi 03-29-22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22455062)
EDIT: I reread WhyFi's comment, and yeah, mine does that. Maybe there's a setting?

When my clubmate piggybacked on to my Varia, the setting didn't matter - with the backlight set to off (or whatever), it would still kick on whenever the Varia alerted. Hopefully this has been addressed since, but I haven't had a reason to follow up. Is your firmware up to date?

datlas 03-29-22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455028)
I see that Garmin has increased my VO2Max estimate. I love being told sweet, sweet nothings lies.

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies....

datlas 03-29-22 02:21 PM

Tomorrow's ride looks like a very cold start, about 28F.

I just recharged the batteries for the electric gloves. My hope is tomorrow will be the last time I need them for awhile.

#Readyforspring

genejockey 03-29-22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455077)
When my clubmate piggybacked on to my Varia, the setting didn't matter - with the backlight set to off (or whatever), it would still kick on whenever the Varia alerted. Hopefully this has been addressed since, but I haven't had a reason to follow up. Is your firmware up to date?

Yep. It syncs and updates every time I plug into the laptop to upload.

Bah Humbug 03-29-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22454671)
So my mechanic looked at the Saturn and said it was a bad battery. He said they put it on the tester and it failed.

I won't argue, but when it was not starting yesterday it was cranking like normal for 15-20 seconds at a time, it just would not catch. That does not sound like a bad battery to me.

Oh well, the battery was pretty old anyway so I will keep my fingers crossed the problem does not recur.

AG's Fit ate a battery every couple of years, and it would try but fail to start. That's why I thought it might be that for yours; small cars often have small batteries that are not tolerant of age-related power loss. (softball over home there) The Saturn's battery has lasted a long time... which only makes it likelier, though I'll be curious what happens.

genejockey 03-29-22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455028)

I have yet to do a Zwift race since ZwiftPower, in its infinite wisdom, decided I'm no longer a D. No more easy podium spots for me. I suppose I could ride in D in the races where they don't stop sandbagging, but then I'd just be a sandbagger. Nobody asked me if I wanted to graduate! And the worst thing is, it wasn't the races I've done that put me over. It was the Tour de Zwift and Tour of Watopia rides. I guess that must mean I really WAS sandbagging in all those D races!

WhyFi 03-29-22 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22455106)
Yep. It syncs and updates every time I plug into the laptop to upload.

Well, **** - that's a bummer.

WhyFi 03-29-22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22455112)
I guess that must mean I really WAS sandbagging in all those D races!

I mean, isn't that sound race strategy? Let others burn their matches while you preserve yours? :P

genejockey 03-29-22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22455119)
I mean, isn't that sound race strategy? Let others burn their matches while you preserve yours? :P

It's what happens in real races, at least as far as I can tell. You don't ride in Z4/Z5 all the time.

LAJ 03-29-22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22455112)
I have yet to do a Zwift race since ZwiftPower, in its infinite wisdom, decided I'm no longer a D. No more easy podium spots for me. I suppose I could ride in D in the races where they don't stop sandbagging, but then I'd just be a sandbagger. Nobody asked me if I wanted to graduate! And the worst thing is, it wasn't the races I've done that put me over. It was the Tour de Zwift and Tour of Watopia rides. I guess that must mean I really WAS sandbagging in all those D races!

That's called a mandatory upgrade, and it's nice to see that it applies to Zwift.

In road racing, once you hit Masters age cats, it really doesn't matter, because you race 4's on up to Cat 1's. I guess I can have bragging rights as the best 3 in the field at times, but that's about it.

Bah Humbug 03-29-22 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22455132)
That's called a mandatory upgrade, and it's nice to see that it applies to Zwift.

In road racing, once you hit Masters age cats, it really doesn't matter, because you race 4's on up to Cat 1's. I guess I can have bragging rights as the best 3 in the field at times, but that's about it.

There has been some debate in the tri community about cats vs age groups.

Trsnrtr 03-29-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22454890)
In the words of our dearly departed Pope." Mother nature can bite me".

Truth.

I only did 20 miles and all but 5 or 6 miles was urban so the 20+ wind wasn’t too bad. Felt good to be out.

genejockey 03-29-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22455132)

But I AM an Old!

Trsnrtr 03-29-22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22455100)
My hope is tomorrow will be the last time I need them for awhile.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

genejockey 03-29-22 03:02 PM

I looked up the last race I rode, and the time I did to get 2nd in D would have put me about 7 minutes behind the winner in C. :cry:

Ah, well. Something to shoot for, I suppose - less suckitude in my new category.

genejockey 03-29-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22455147)
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Everyone's gotta have a dream.

Trsnrtr 03-29-22 03:05 PM

datlas Bike Closet is having a sale on Assos bibs. I just ordered two pair of the cheap ones at $99 a pair.

LAJ 03-29-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22455137)
There has been some debate in the tri community about cats vs age groups.

I bet that's a never-ending discussion.