Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   slipping on gears (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=757622)

91bulldog 08-05-11 07:47 AM

slipping on gears

Hello,

Here is the story. Let me know what you think
So one day of riding with alot of wind...i shifted to the smallest gear and out of no wear my chain get caught in between my crank and front derailer. It was pretty hard to pull out but with alittle muscle it comes out. After that case, on some gears i feel and see the chain slipping from the rear derailer. If i pedal light, no problem but when i start pedal hard....slips.

My question, is it my front, rear derailer, chain or crank that needs to be fixed or replaced? Or a good old tune up will fix it?

wrk101 08-05-11 09:27 AM

Two different problems. Problem #1 is a front derailleur adjustment problem, Park tool site has an excellent tutorial on that.

Problem #2 is likely a worn cassette or freewheel. Tune up will not fix that. Need to know how many speeds, and whether you have a freewheel or cassette. If you are handy, good cassettes can be found new for about $15, freewheels are less. Should also replace the chain, they can be found pretty cheap as well.

gpshay 08-05-11 02:21 PM

I just had the same problem with the chain skipping on the rear cassette the mechanic examined everything very very closely [i was with him] and it turned out to be the chain .. so of the links did not move freely and stuck just enough to cause the problem .. put on a new scram chain and now no problems... p.s. it was more noticable on the small gears 13,12,11 rather than the larger 28,30 ...

91bulldog 08-07-11 04:25 PM

So a new chain should fix my issue? Is there any difference between a $15 chain and the $50 chains?

Originally Posted by gpshay (Post 13040574)
I just had the same problem with the chain skipping on the rear cassette the mechanic examined everything very very closely [i was with him] and it turned out to be the chain .. so of the links did not move freely and stuck just enough to cause the problem .. put on a new scram chain and now no problems... p.s. it was more noticable on the small gears 13,12,11 rather than the larger 28,30 ...

wrk101 08-07-11 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 91bulldog (Post 13048484)
So a new chain should fix my issue? Is there any difference between a $15 chain and the $50 chains?

A new chain won't fix a thing if the cassette is worn out. But if your chain is worn out or damaged, sure.

As far as the cost of chain, I almost exclusively use KMC chain, and typically pay about $5.50 (on line) for a 7 speed chain. 5 and 6 speed chain is less. Higher speed chain cost more (don't know how many speeds you have). KMC makes good, quality chain (several threads on chain quality out there).