Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dropper 27.2 reccomendations anyone? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1257623)

Positron400 08-28-22 01:41 AM

Dropper 27.2 reccomendations anyone?

Hey you lot,

I want to fit my Rockhopper with a dropper post (27.2 mm diameter), but am not looking to spend silly money on it. I don't necessarily need a cable actuated one (and could only use an externally routed). A lever-thingy would do too if cheaper. My seatpost sticks out about 25 cm from the frame. The more travel, the better, and I don,t need a suspension seatpost.

Would be great if you guys could suggest a fairly budget friendly option (sub 100 USD/€) if possible (since this bike was a retro rebuild).

Much appreciated! Thanks!
Positron

bboy314 08-28-22 05:21 AM

https://www.jensonusa.com/KS-ETEN-Le...-Seatpost-2020

I have the (external) cable actuated version of this post, haven’t put a ton of miles on it yet but so far it works great with no noticeable slop.

Kapusta 08-28-22 09:08 AM

PNW Pine.

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...2-dropper-post

Do a search and you can likely find it for under $170.

Positron400 08-28-22 10:16 AM

Holy cr*p these are expensive.. sheesh. 170 € is way over budget I am afraid. Thanks for the suggestion though! The dropper looks nice, but that's twice the price i payed for the bike ;) Kapusta
This one looks more reasoanble bboy314 - cannot really find one locally (in the EU) atm, but will look into it.

base2 08-28-22 10:27 AM

+1 on the Pine

I have both the 90 & the 110mm When I converted my mountain bike to 1x, I simply repurposed the front derailleur cable stops for dropper cable duty instead.

I only wish PNW made one with a decent setback so I could expand the capabilities of my gravel bike.

rosefarts 08-28-22 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Positron400 (Post 22626904)
Holy cr*p these are expensive.. sheesh. 170 € is way over budget I am afraid. Thanks for the suggestion though! The dropper looks nice, but that's twice the price i payed for the bike ;) Kapusta
This one looks more reasoanble bboy314 - cannot really find one locally (in the EU) atm, but will look into it.

Doesn’t sound like the type of bike that’s worth spending anything on. Ride it and replace it with something better when you’re ready.

Positron400 08-28-22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by rosefarts (Post 22626925)
Doesn’t sound like the type of bike that’s worth spending anything on. Ride it and replace it with something better when you’re ready.

One spends as much on a bike as one sees fit ;) - But I cannot conceviable spend this amount of money on a budget

rosefarts 08-28-22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Positron400 (Post 22627023)
One spends as much on a bike as one sees fit ;) - But I cannot conceviable spend this amount of money on a budget

Get a quick release lever for your seatpost.

Positron400 08-29-22 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by rosefarts (Post 22627087)
Get a quick release lever for your seatpost.

Excactly what i did to tide me over ;) (Awesome username btw :D )

50PlusCycling 08-29-22 06:35 AM

I have a Crank Brothers 27.2 drop post with a remote lever, and am perfectly happy with it.

Positron400 08-29-22 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling (Post 22627861)
I have a Crank Brothers 27.2 drop post with a remote lever, and am perfectly happy with it.

Sounds great - could you maybe provide the model number or a storefront link?

Kapusta 08-29-22 07:41 AM

Have you looked at the Brand-X stuff? Very inexpensive for a dropper. Not sure where exactly you are, but I know some places in the UK carry them.

veganbikes 08-29-22 12:02 PM

If a low cost dropper that is under $200 is expensive I think I dropper might not be in the cards. Unless this is a used bike with really high end components in good condition that you paid little for you are probably putting good money towards bad. Save that money for a more practical bike that has what you are looking for from the get go or one where a $170 dropper is not very expensive. You will be a little bummed now but happier in the end.

Darth Lefty 08-29-22 12:47 PM

I paid a hundred or so for a dropper from CRC but it was pre-pandemic. Looks like it's still not too much more.

Cheap is fine, these are basically as high tech as an office chair. Cheap and used maybe not because the cheap ones have a sealed cartridge that can't be refilled or rebuilt.

The Rockhopper of today is a strange bike. Everything about it seems to encourage you to stand pat or buy a new bike, the possible upgrades are not in the direction of what everyone is riding

DMC707 08-30-22 04:57 PM

Look for a Hite Rite --much cheaper

The Hite Rite quick-drop post system is back from the dead | off-road.cc

Kapusta 08-30-22 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by DMC707 (Post 22630132)

:roflmao2:

cxwrench 08-30-22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 22626918)
+1 on the Pine

I have both the 90 & the 110mm When I converted my mountain bike to 1x, I simply repurposed the front derailleur cable stops for dropper cable duty instead.

I only wish PNW made one with a decent setback so I could expand the capabilities of my gravel bike.

There are very few if any droppers w/ setback for one reason...they wear out bushings much much quicker. The can also bend easier.

Darth Lefty 08-30-22 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22630357)
There are very few if any droppers w/ setback for one reason...they wear out bushings much much quicker. The can also bend easier.

Considering how seat posts are always a cantilever and really big people sit on them I have a hard time believing this is a real problem. Rather instead that droppers showed up on premium bikes at about the same time as steep seat tubes so there's little market for them. Market dictates a lot... I'd love to put a PNW Coast suspension dropper or similar on my wife's city bike but they do not exist in satin or polish, only black

base2 08-30-22 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22630357)

Oh, I know the reasons. I can still wish for whatever I want.

I wish for mad mountain biking skillz too. But that ain't gonna happen either. :bike2:

bikeme 09-08-22 02:47 AM

PNW's are awesome! Great customer service, posts work well, good price. I know yours is external but the internal ones are a cinch. they have great installation videos.

Trainbike 09-27-22 05:50 AM

I don't recommend it but I had an ird "mechanical" dropper.(which looks similar to the tmars ebay dropper) Got on the cheap to see if I really even wanted a dropper. It has slop, is finiky to operate and horrifying to ride but is cheap! But honestly not cheap enough. I would compare it more to a sketchy hite rite.
I also had a hite rite on a gravel type bike and that was great, it's not the same as a dropper but you gont have to get off your bike to lift yr seat.

Jukka4130 11-05-22 01:34 PM

One Up v2 dropper is a solid performer, especially for the price.