Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Folding Bike Cargo Solution (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1228394)

Inisfallen 04-16-21 01:03 PM

Folding Bike Cargo Solution

In a lot of ways, a folding bike is the ideal solution to my situation. It's small, and folds up and fits in a closet at home, which is a major factor when one is sharing a New York City apartment with a wife and three children. It folds up and sits next to my desk in my office (when I go in to the office these days). It lets me almost totally avoid the subway.

The downside is carrying capacity.

So I put one of these on:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3bf1ba27e9.jpg
Works perfectly. The basket pops on and off the mounting easily, yet stays on securely, even when loaded. And the mount remains on the bicycle and doesn't interfere with folding (at least on my Giant Halfway -- I can't say it would work with every folding bike).

So I can ride the bike to the grocery store, carry the basket into the store, fill it with groceries, pay, put it back on the bike, and ride home.

Perfect. I wish Wald would make a basket that's a bit bigger and compatible with the same mount, but otherwise, it's perfect.

reppans 04-17-21 09:00 AM

This where Brompton’s shopping cart mode really shines - 15sec conversion; no need to lock-up outside; frame mounted so no impact to handling/steering. For larger/heavier loads, add a Burley Travoy with good backpack - 30sec conversions; fully hand-carry/hike-able for stairs, subways, etc. and both can still be wheeled-while-folded (one in each hand).

linberl 04-17-21 09:32 AM

My Dahon Uno has a super light rear rack and I can use panniers or a trunk bag. I use my Travoy with the Bike Friday pakiT. But for small super light shops (loaf of bread, etc.). I just take a nylon backpack that zips into it's own pocket and open it up and use the hang tab on the top over the ahead stem. Because of the longer drop to the front wheel, it hangs off the bars and doesn't get in the way at all. I always have one of those with me because you never know -- I was out riding last week and accidentally found a bakery that had a rhubarb tarte that looked wonderful. On the BF, no way to bring it home, but I popped open the little nylon backpack sack, set it inside, louped the hang tag and took the side straps over the ends of the bars and it balanced perfectly on top of the bars and ahead stem the entire ride home! Was delicious, too =). Having one of those bags tucked away means I can ride without bags unless I am intentionally shopping and still grab a quick lunch or treat to take home. They're really versatile.

Inisfallen 04-18-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by reppans (Post 22018841)
This where Brompton’s shopping cart mode really shines - 15sec conversion; no need to lock-up outside; frame mounted so no impact to handling/steering. For larger/heavier loads, add a Burley Travoy with good backpack - 30sec conversions; fully hand-carry/hike-able for stairs, subways, etc. and both can still be wheeled-while-folded (one in each hand).

Absolutely, and I'd love a Brompton.

On the other hand, bang for buck is a factor too. I got my bike used for $100, and the basket and mounting bracket cost me about $40.

BlackWhite 05-21-21 09:53 AM

Nice job! Incidentally, I have tried that brand of folding bike - their design is so smart! They have them at a few bike shops in San Francisco, and also at the Oakland Museum. I'm inspired to see the way my Dahon fits from the smart. Having a way to keep it from flopping around would be fantastic, and you've produced a brilliant solution!

Nyah 05-21-21 08:46 PM

I just got a Tern Loader G2 rack for my Dahon Speed. Before I saw it
in person, I wasn't sure that it would allow me to use panniers without
my heels hitting them. Now I'm pretty sure that this won't happen and
that this rack is going to work great for me. For utility, I strap a wire
basket to my rack. Unfortunately that blocks my ability to fold
the bicycle. Still though, this setup is super handy. I been bringing
my non-folding bicycles into stores with me since the pandemic started
so, I can do that with this one too. So thumbs up on the Tern Loader G2.
I'm glad that I chose it instead of the heavier, longer, more
expensive Tern Cargo Rack.

Now I need a low rack (close to the fender) for the front.

What can I do with the Dahon luggage socket? Are there any low racks for
it that have a nice, flat area which I can strap a Wald 137 basket to?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...58f97007c7.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...356fbd0e13.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...726c6b5121.jpg

kayakindude 05-22-21 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nyah (Post 22070643)

What can I do with the Dahon luggage socket? Are there any low racks for
it that have a nice, flat area which I can strap a Wald 137 basket to?

Buy a Brompton block adapter for the front stem mount and gain one of the great advantages of their bag systems at a non brompton price.

Have a Brompton bag on my Dahon for the last 3 years for commuting.

Jipe 05-22-21 03:07 PM

I am afraid that it won't be possible to use a front bag with a drop bar,it will hit the bag !

Nyah 05-22-21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jipe (Post 22071453)
I am afraid that it won't be possible to use a front bag with a drop bar,it will hit the bag !

That's correct. It would have to be a low rack.

Reddleman 05-22-21 07:25 PM

Tern luggage truss with a basket of your choice by Rixen and Kaul?

tcs 05-25-21 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jipe (Post 22071453)

One of a couple of reasons that nearly all touring bikes fix the rack/bags to the forks or use a handlebar bag.

Winfried 05-25-21 05:43 PM

But then, does it make sense to use a drop bar on a folder with 20" wheels, when a flat bar (+ bar ends) à la S on a Brompton can take a frame-mounted bag in the front without affecting steering much?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...850ffba1c6.jpg

Nyah 05-25-21 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Winfried
But then, does it make sense to use a drop bar on a folder with 20" wheels, when a flat bar (+ bar ends) à la S on a Brompton can take a frame-mounted bag in the front without affecting steering much?

Yes, because the setup that you're comparing to the drop-bars has, among others, a major safety disadvantage. Imagine yourself going fast and then having to change your grip position within a split-second in order to apply the brakes.

Winfried 05-26-21 07:16 AM

Going fast in the city on a folder with 20" wheels?

Besides, it has bar end shifters.

Nyah 05-26-21 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Winfried (Post 22076407)
Going fast in the city on a folder with 20" wheels?

Having to change your grip position in order to slow down is a bad idea, anywhere.

Besides, it has bar end shifters.
Bar-end shift-levers, what of it? Those are not a safety detriment in any way.

Winfried 05-26-21 03:36 PM

They are since you have to take one hand off the handlebar to change gears.

Brifters would make more sense.

Nyah 05-26-21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Winfried (Post 22077137)

Brifters would make more sense.

You are comparing a momentary gear-shift - to riding in a grip position that has both hands unable to reach the brakes.

lwylie 05-31-21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by linberl (Post 22018886)
. I just take a nylon backpack that zips into it's own pocket and open it up and use the hang tab on the top over the ahead stem. Because of the longer drop to the front wheel, it hangs off the bars and doesn't get in the way at all. ....I popped open the little nylon backpack sack, set it inside, louped the hang tag and took the side straps over the ends of the bars and it balanced perfectly on top of the bars and ahead stem the entire ride home!

What a great idea! Linberl, what brand of backpack do you use? And could you share a photo of the setup? I have a Sea To Summit packable nylon backpack but the "hang tab" looks too small to fit over my BF's stem.

linberl 05-31-21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by lwylie (Post 22082704)
What a great idea! Linberl, what brand of backpack do you use? And could you share a photo of the setup? I have a Sea To Summit packable nylon backpack but the "hang tab" looks too small to fit over my BF's stem.

They're both cheap little nylon bags, not bought specifically for this purpose. I think I even got one free for some promotion.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af06cad6b3.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d0afa64a0.jpg

lwylie 05-31-21 06:45 PM

Thx! I see the Gonex one on Amazon for $14 so will order one. Can always use another packable pack.

wesgreen 05-31-21 08:13 PM

Pletscher makes a fantastic rack for 20" bikes. Worth every penny, imo.

mellavellum 07-05-21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nyah (Post 22070643)
So thumbs up on the Tern Loader G2.
I'm glad that I chose it instead of the heavier, longer, more
expensive Tern Cargo Rack.

That is one slick Dahon Speed! Beauty. Thanks for the thumbs up review of the G2 rack.
Can I ask what fenders those are? I've been looking for a set compatible with 2" big apples.

Jonesandrew 07-06-21 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by wesgreen (Post 22083117)
Pletscher makes a fantastic rack for 20" bikes. Worth every penny, imo.

Could you post the URL for this? I can't find it on their website.

tcs 07-06-21 06:49 AM

...frame mounted so no impact to handling/steering

Because of wheel flop, adding weight to the front of a bicycle has to impact handling/steering. It's physics. The weight speeds up the turning moment. Adding the weight to the fork/handlepost rather than the frame increases the steering's moment of
inertia, which slows down the turning moment and thereby counteracts the effects of the weight.

tcs 07-06-21 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Winfried (Post 22077137)

Just to clear this up for anyone who reads this thread: using bar end shifters , the bar is gripped with the thumb+index finger+middle finger while the shift is actuated with the heel of the hand and the ring finger+small finger. One of the advantages of bar end shifters is the hand remains firmly in control of the
steering while shifting.