Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why are cycling jerseys so short? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1260020)

zacster 10-11-22 02:54 PM

Why are cycling jerseys so short?

As I've aged, all of my jerseys have "shrunk", which wouldn't be so bad except that they are all so short. Even the new ones I've bought in a larger size seem to be too short. I don't like bib shorts so having jerseys that are too short are just not a great look from behind. I'm only 5'7" so it isn't like I'm extra tall or anything. Even when I lost a lot of weight too they left a gap. And if they are short in the back you can imagine what the front then looks like. I don't want to gross anybody out by posting pics.

Are there any brands out there that are longer than others?

Koyote 10-11-22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by zacster (Post 22675551)
As I've aged, all of my jerseys have "shrunk",

I don't know why you put shrunk in quotation marks, but I will note that cycling jerseys are made of polyester, which does not shrink.

Since I've not had your problem, I will guess that either you are buying the wrong jerseys (for your body size and type) or you prefer them to hang down much lower than is typical. When you get off the saddle to climb or sprint, does the back hem of your jersey get caught on your saddle? Do you want it to?

WhyFi 10-11-22 03:09 PM

I have a longish torso and can't say that I've run in to this problem. What brand jerseys are you talking about?

wayold 10-11-22 03:19 PM

This is a problem with some of the cheap Asian jerseys I've bought - you have your choice of too short to cover the torso or fitting like a tent if you buy a large enough size to achieve the correct torso length. Most US and European jerseys seem to have the proper proportion for me (though I often need to size up).

I suspect what the OP is alluding to is the 'old man gut' that a lot of us eventually develop. A jersey that just makes it down to your shorts in front may work if you have the ripped 6-pack of youth, but has a nasty habit of riding up over the aforementioned o.m.g. much to the revulsion and amusement of all in visual range. These days I try to buy jerseys with an extra couple of inches of front length for exactly that reason.

msalvetti 10-11-22 03:22 PM

I have a very long body (6'-2", but 30-inch inseam). I wear XL-Tall shirts. But I haven't noticed this issue with my cycling shirts, and I'm not "ripped" by any measure (250 lbs). I buy these cheap ones:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to hold up well, good elastic waist.

Mark

79pmooney 10-11-22 03:56 PM

I've pulled out my old custom racing jersey from time to time. (1977) I get reminded every time how much shorter jerseys have become. That jersey fit me perfectly and had great pockets low enough to be an easy reach. Loved that jersey for those long, 14 hour outings. I have no jerseys now where that reach is as easy and I have shrunk. (That jersey was cut with a flare at the bottom so the fit over my hips works great, even without stretchy fabric.) Yes, the new fabrics are far nicer for hot days, moisture management ... but for simple cut and fit, that old one rules.

Edit: this isn't a case of shape change for me (other than my spinal column collapsing). I weigh less now than when I raced and still wear the same shirt and pant sizes.

pdlamb 10-11-22 04:02 PM

I've bought or received maybe half a dozen jerseys in the last 3-4 years, and I've got this problem with almost all of them. Most of them are custom for various events, from various suppliers. It's nice to wear jerseys that don't flap when I ride, but I may give up and go back to the "flapping tents" style of jersey to try to get another inch or two in height.

63rickert 10-11-22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22675626)
I've pulled out my old custom racing jersey from time to time. (1977) I get reminded every time how much shorter jerseys have become. That jersey fit me perfectly and had great pockets low enough to be an easy reach. Loved that jersey for those long, 14 hour outings. I have no jerseys now where that reach is as easy and I have shrunk. (That jersey was cut with a flare at the bottom so the fit over my hips works great, even without stretchy fabric.) Yes, the new fabrics are far nicer for hot days, moisture management ... but for simple cut and fit, that old one rules.

Edit: this isn't a case of shape change for me (other than my spinal column collapsing). I weigh less now than when I raced and still wear the same shirt and pant sizes.

Exactly correct. Old jerseys (70s, 80s) were not all the same but most were a lot longer. Not just the custom club race jerseys, all of them.

Go back even further Fausto Coppi and Louison Bobet had their own tailors make their kit. We could end up there again if mass market vendors won't make anything wearable.

urbanknight 10-11-22 04:09 PM

The ideal road cycling jerseys put the pockets at a comfortable location to reach and don't have too long of tails because they would flap in the wind. I also imagine it the tails got shortened as it became common for pro teams to emblazon a sponsor across their @#$ as they didn't want the jersey to cover up that expensive advertising space.

If you want something longer, Canari seems to fit that bill in my experience. Also club cut and mountain bike jerseys, but those will also be more baggy.

KerryIrons 10-11-22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by zacster (Post 22675551)
As I've aged, all of my jerseys have "shrunk", which wouldn't be so bad except that they are all so short. Even the new ones I've bought in a larger size seem to be too short. I don't like bib shorts so having jerseys that are too short are just not a great look from behind. I'm only 5'7" so it isn't like I'm extra tall or anything. Even when I lost a lot of weight too they left a gap. And if they are short in the back you can imagine what the front then looks like. I don't want to gross anybody out by posting pics.

Are there any brands out there that are longer than others?

Are you sure this is a jersey problem and not actually an issue with your bike shorts not coming up high enough in back?

indyfabz 10-11-22 04:35 PM

Maybe you’ve gotten bigger again. :innocent:

I am 6’2” with a longer than average torso. (My inseam is around 32”.) My Rapha jerseys fit fine.

Iride01 10-11-22 04:48 PM

If your are stretching them more with your increasing girth, they may not have as much stretch to give for length! <grin>

Though if you dry knitted synthetics in the dryer, I think over the years they will draw up some. Mine just get drip dried on a hangar.

jon c. 10-11-22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by KerryIrons (Post 22675682)
Are you sure this is a jersey problem and not actually an issue with your bike shorts not coming up high enough in back?

That's something I've noticed with one brand I often wear. If I'm not cautious about making sure everything is adjusted properly, I end up with an inch high sunburn on my lower back. But it's never an issue with another brand I wear.

epnnf 10-11-22 05:05 PM

All my jerseys are too long, especially in back. fwiw, my shorts are too tall, umm, especially in back. I am 5'11", 175#.

csport 10-11-22 05:16 PM

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tall...ng-jersey.html
AFAIR they add 4" for the tall fit

zacster 10-11-22 05:30 PM

Here's a pic of my jersey collection. Note how they get shorter as you go from left to right even though they are all the same size. The three leftmost are OK, the rest aren't. The furthest right one doesn't count as that's my wife's. The Grateful Dead one is particularly short.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a54fb987d.jpeg

WhyFi 10-11-22 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by zacster (Post 22675752)
Here's a pic of my jersey collection. Note how they get shorter as you go from left to right even though they are all the same size.

The same indicated size doesn't mean much if they're different manufacturers - your ideal fit may be an M in one and an S in another - hence my question about manufacturers that you've found to be too short.

Rolla 10-11-22 06:41 PM

Put heavier stuff in the back pockets.

rm -rf 10-11-22 06:47 PM

The Pearl Izumi jerseys from 5-10 years ago were much too long. The last one I bought was a bit too short.

Koyote 10-11-22 08:56 PM

zacster : What sizes are the jerseys that fit you properly, length-wise? And brands?

rsbob 10-11-22 11:49 PM

You obviously haven’t aged enough. With time you should shrink a good 2-3” and your jerseys will fit fine. Patience.

(I was 6’2.5” and am now a solid 6’1”)

BlazingPedals 10-12-22 07:46 AM

I don't know if this is a hard-and-fast rule, but generally if a jersey is flared at the bottom and doesn't have elastic there, it's a woman's jersey. Maybe touring jerseys are that way too?

Koyote 10-12-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22675910)
zacster : What sizes are the jerseys that fit you properly, length-wise? And brands?

Still hoping for an answer to this Q.

I'm 6'1" and very slim, and I've owned perhaps one jersey that was a tad short -- but still very usable. The OP reports being 5'7", which is shorter than average for a male in the US; if he finds so many jerseys to be too short, I suspect this is just a matter of personal preference.

tomato coupe 10-12-22 10:33 AM

Raise your saddle.

Branko D 10-12-22 05:10 PM

One of the reasons I'm a big fan of one piece roadsuits and trisuits. Keeps everything covered and keeps the fabric from bunching up and you don't need to worry about bibs.
​​​​​
Plus, more aerodynamic​​​​​​, but the "second skin" type of comfort sells it for me.