Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

rjones28 08-12-21 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22181363)
Uh....Say what now? Cuddebackville, NY. On a Monday. Not going to happen. I can stay up the road for half that. $50 if I want a riverfront site.

Individual Tent Site, No Hookups, Grass Tent Pad Forested Tent Site

VIEW DETAILS
RESERVE
KOA Select My Site (+$20.00)
$81.00 avg/nightUp to 6 people.
  • Individual Tent Site
  • No Hookups
  • Grass
  • Pets Allowed
Save 10% at check out with KOA Rewards.

Cancellation Guideline

Seems kind of steep for a tent site in Nowheresville.

LesterOfPuppets 08-12-21 10:02 AM

Super guppy is hitting the skies of El Paso. I guess that flight through here last year was a rare opportunity I missed :(

NASA941 (SGUP) has just filed a flight plan. It is scheduled to depart from El Paso Intl (ELP) at 10:30AM MDT Thursday (12 Aug) heading for El Paso Intl (ELP) for an estimated arrival at 12:20PM MDT Thursday (12 Aug).

Expected route: SFL/D1+00 V16 ELP

LesterOfPuppets 08-12-21 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22181499)

Yeah, that's insane.

indyfabz 08-12-21 10:29 AM

Ya think? It’s not even during one of the large Russian festival weekends held there.

I’ve stayed there twice before since it changed to a KOA. Both times on the expensive end, but $81 is nuts.

I stayed there in ‘99 when it was a different franchise. Hurricane Floyd moved in over night. The next morning I saw a frog come out of the river looking for shelter. Asked about renting one of their cabins for shelter. The guy running the place said there was a two-night minimum. The woman working the office was embarrassed and called a motel a few miles down the road. As I was leaving, the guy saw me and radioed the office to tell the woman I could have a cabin (no electricity) for one night. Too late, jerk. Rode a couple of miles in the early bands of hurricane rain to a comfortable room with a TV. The motel owner even drove me to an open deli so I could get food and beer.

indyfabz 08-12-21 10:32 AM

TBT. During a 2014 fundraiser for some food bank. Look at those quads. I had been touring in Montana the previous month.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7fdb482ce.jpeg

big john 08-12-21 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22181537)
Ya think? It’s not even during one of the large Russian festival weekends held there.

I’ve stayed there twice before since it changed to a KOA. Both times on the expensive end, but $81 is nuts.

I stayed there in ‘99 when it was a different franchise. Hurricane Floyd moved in over night. The next morning I saw a frog come out of the river looking for shelter. Asked about renting one of their cabins for shelter. The guy running the place said there was a two-night minimum. The woman working the office was embarrassed and called a motel a few miles down the road. As I was leaving, the guy saw me and radioed the office to tell the woman I could have a cabin (no electricity) for one night. Too late, jerk. Rode a couple of miles in the early bands of hurricane rain to a comfortable room with a TV. The motel owner even drove me to an open deli so I could get food and beer.

Did you help the frog?

BillyD 08-12-21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22181203)
Oy. Long day, yesterday, and still feeling wiped out this morning.

Tell me about it. :notamused:

indyfabz 08-12-21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22181554)
Did you help the frog?

I figured he'd be alright. The funny thing, other than a frog fleeing rain, is that the name of the river is the Neversink. Does that mean you cannot drown in it?

BillyD 08-12-21 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22181382)
OMG there is a guy in my club who does that. He's kinda Asperger-y in that he doesn't get social ques, doesn't know when to shut up and drones on about medical problems in his family or pets. Also, quite humorless.
He's not a bad guy in small doses.

I got a guy like that in softball. He's from another team, I think he's ID'd me as a soft touch, he latches on to me in the parking lot after the games while I'm changing the sweaty shirt and shoes, and he won't let you go. I wouldn't mind if he brought a couple beers with him . . . but no such luck.

Bah Humbug 08-12-21 11:22 AM

Y’all know I’m one of those guys. :o

BillyD 08-12-21 11:25 AM

Cuddebackville is indeed that. About 5 miles off state NY17 on 209. I adopted one of my rescue Rotts from a lady who lived out there several years ago.

BillyD 08-12-21 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22181613)
Y’all know I’m one of those guys. :o

No, I did not know that.

Bah Humbug 08-12-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22181621)
No, I did not know that.

See, I know for a fact that you were around for the endless dating issues.

WhyFi 08-12-21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22181683)

Word vomit is different online from in person - reading is voluntary in a way that someone (sometimes literally) holding your elbow and running on at the mouth isn't.

big john 08-12-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22181697)
Word vomit is different online from in person - reading is voluntary in a way that someone (sometimes literally) holding your elbow and running on at the mouth isn't.

lol @ word vomit. I used to call it verbal defecation.

Speaking of literally holding on, I once worked at a garage where the owner was an alcoholic (no surprise). Nice man, great boss but once he had a few (every day) he would start blathering on about something while backing me into a corner or a wall. He had been injured in Viet Nam and had a lot of work done on his face. He looked fine but when he got drunk he would spit and spray while talking. Yuck. His wife finally demanded he stop drinking and he did. I hope it stuck.

I worked at a new car dealer where the service manager would get drunk every day at lunch. We would come to work in the morning and he was so helpful and nice, sending the porters to clean my stall, asking if there was anything I needed, etc. After lunch he was the opposite and would rage at us and scream and it was embarrassing. He ended up getting fired and I heard he dried out and got another job.

WhyFi 08-12-21 12:57 PM

Courtesy of Ray Maker, I just found out about the different map type settings on Strava, to help visualize power or speed or elevation, etc. It's a dumb little toy, but I like dumb little toys, and I just wish there was a way to make the a chosen map type the default, instead of having to change them for each activity.

WhyFi 08-12-21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22181718)
lol @ word vomit. I used to call it verbal defecation.

Speaking of literally holding on, I once worked at a garage where the owner was an alcoholic (no surprise). Nice man, great boss but once he had a few (every day) he would start blathering on about something while backing me into a corner or a wall. He had been injured in Viet Nam and had a lot of work done on his face. He looked fine but when he got drunk he would spit and spray while talking. Yuck. His wife finally demanded he stop drinking and he did. I hope it stuck.

Oooh - was he a close-talker, too? A close-talkin', spittle-flecker is just the *best* combination.

phrantic09 08-12-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22181748)
Courtesy of Ray Maker, I just found out about the different map type settings on Strava, to help visualize power or speed or elevation, etc. It's a dumb little toy, but I like dumb little toys, and I just wish there was a way to make the a chosen map type the default, instead of having to change them for each activity.

I enjoy that new toy

WhyFi 08-12-21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22181756)
I enjoy that new toy

Yeah, I saw that you'd used it the other day. I looked for hashtags, which had to be used, previous, and didn't see any. I was going to check it out further, but ultimately forgot about it.

MoAlpha 08-12-21 01:02 PM

Uncontrollable talkers are particularly difficult on offshore races. Feeling your ass go numb and checking your watch every three minutes in the wet, windy, darkness is bad enough, but a garrulous mate going on and on about his wife's car insurance in the middle of the goddamn ocean can turn it into bizarre and exquisite torture.

seedsbelize 08-12-21 01:06 PM

I tightened the laces on the skirt of the test saddle before my last ride. It was comfortable for the firt time since I got it, back in March.

WhyFi 08-12-21 01:08 PM

Welp, new Rapha purchase on the way. I wanted to replace those bibs that are quickly going see-through, and I saw that Rapha had some blue cargo bibs in stock. I've been wanting some not-black bibs and I've been wanting some cargo bibs, so I why the hell not?

BillyD 08-12-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22181683)

That ain't the same thing. Who here hasn't had dating issues?

WhyFi 08-12-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22181762)
Uncontrollable talkers are particularly difficult on offshore races. Feeling your ass go numb and checking your watch every three minutes in the wet, windy, darkness is bad enough, but a garrulous mate going on and on about his wife's car insurance in the middle of the goddamn ocean can turn it into bizarre and exquisite torture.

I really wonder if and when I'd snap. I tend to politely tolerate **** like that for too long, but cornered like that, I might eventually get to the point where I'd say or do something hurtful.

MoAlpha 08-12-21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22181785)
I really wonder if and when I'd snap. I tend to politely tolerate **** like that for too long, but cornered like that, I might eventually get to the point where I'd say or do something hurtful.

When I was younger I had the ability to interrupt—in fact I was great at it: I'd just open my mouth and let fly with whatever occurred to me—but that talent was beaten out of me by the women :D and now I just sit there like a lox.