Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

Velo Vol 05-30-22 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22524756)
Do you know this guy? He doesn't look like your stereotypical Saab owner.

You don't know which car he owned. He likely was just waiting to cross the drive.

DougRNS 05-30-22 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22524742)
I made one regrettable stop during the drive home. Hoo boy. It's even worse than I imagined. I have no idea where all the people stopped there came from.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...52b2ce4ae.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c1b7ac2d8.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5997c0196.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...81e8ff684.jpeg

that doesn't appeal to me. Costco is my limit. BTW, I can send you a Mighty Owls T shirt if you want to pimp for a good school.

DougRNS 05-30-22 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22524717)
What's the lesson?

new tech isn't necessarily better than old tech and why are they using CD's and not mp3 files.:foo:

DougRNS 05-30-22 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22524756)
Do you know this guy? He doesn't look like your stereotypical Saab owner.

Nice shirt !

maybe he is an SOB:roflmao2:

genejockey 05-30-22 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22524650)
Mrs. John likes the true crime shows. They go into detail about how the young woman was tortured and murdered, how she was found, etc. Makes me sick.
She also loves watching reruns of "Medium" in syndication. Lots of brutality toward women and semi-graphic depictions of murders and torture. I don't get it and find it very disturbing.

OTOH I find movies like "Die Hard with a Vengeance" or "The Equalizer" to be entertaining.

Mrs. GJ ALWAYS turns the TV on when she enters the LR/DR area. Usually the news. Then she wanders away, leaving it on. I really don't get "I turn it on for noise", but then, I've got tinnitus, so I don't have to turn anything on to get noise.

Or she wakes up before dawn, goes out to the LR and watches TV to fall asleep, and I come out in the morning and the TV is on to the Hallmark Channel, because what's more soporific than made-for-TV movies with interchangeable plots and casts? In the evenings, we try to find something we both like, but the problem is, she doesn't like anything. It's not that she doesn't like anything I like. It's that she doesn't like anything. Well, that's maybe too harsh. She does like things, but then we binge them and once they're gone, they're gone.

DougRNS 05-30-22 10:10 AM

Mrs. John likes the true crime shows. They go into detail about how the young woman was tortured and murdered, how she was found, etc. Makes me sick.
She also loves watching reruns of "Medium" in syndication. Lots of brutality toward women and semi-graphic depictions of murders and torture. I don't get it and find it very disturbing.

OTOH I find movies like "Die Hard with a Vengeance" or "The Equalizer" to be entertaining.

Prolly because true crime stories are too plausible but shoot em up movies are entertaining but not plausible. I'm the same way except I don't watch many movies of any kind.

genejockey 05-30-22 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22524796)
that doesn't appeal to me. Costco is my limit. BTW, I can send you a Mighty Owls T shirt if you want to pimp for a good school.

Reminds me of the old HoJo's on the PA Turnpike, if you multiplied them by a factor of 5.

genejockey 05-30-22 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22524814)
Prolly because true crime stories are too plausible but shoot em up movies are entertaining but not plausible. I'm the same way except I don't watch many movies of any kind.

The problem I always have with true crime stories is how often they have 10-15 minutes worth of information and plot and it still takes them an hour.

indyfabz 05-30-22 10:16 AM

Got a quote from Lowe’s for a new heater with delivery, installation and removal of the old one. I’ll post a link to my GoFundMe page later this afternoon. :)

LesterOfPuppets 05-30-22 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22524786)
You don't know which car he owned. He likely was just waiting to cross the drive.

He's standing in front of it like a proud papa! :)

LesterOfPuppets 05-30-22 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22524786)

I always think of this classic when I see a Saab.
WARNING: triple tandem action

Trsnrtr 05-30-22 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22524811)

... I come out in the morning and the TV is on to the Hallmark Channel, because what's more soporific than made-for-TV movies with interchangeable plots and casts? In the evenings, we try to find something we both like, but the problem is, she doesn't like anything. It's not that she doesn't like anything I like. It's that she doesn't like anything. Well, that's maybe too harsh. She does like things, but then we binge them and once they're gone, they're gone.

My wife is Hallmark fan and she loves British detective series. She's currently watching Midsomer Murders over again. She's currently on season 10. Besides being ~1h40m long, there's 19 seasons so she'll be awhile.

bampilot06 05-30-22 10:43 AM

Saved a turtle today. If he starts walking on two legs, eating pizza, and skateboarding he can chill at my house.

Velo Vol 05-30-22 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22524796)
BTW, I can send you a Mighty Owls T shirt if you want to pimp for a good school.

Going to Hattiesburg this weekend?

P.S. It's Owls, not Mighty Owls.

genejockey 05-30-22 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22524857)
My wife is Hallmark fan and she loves British detective series. She's currently watching Midsomer Murders over again. She's currently on season 10. Besides being ~1h40m long, there's 19 seasons so she'll be awhile.

Mrs. GJ watches Midsomer Murders, but tends to fall asleep. This is also the problem when we do find something we like - I have to check to see if she's awake, then stop whatever we're watching when she does.

genejockey 05-30-22 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22524835)
He's standing in front of it like a proud papa! :)

Maybe he's chicken to cross the road.

Mojo31 05-30-22 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22524742)
I made one regrettable stop during the drive home. Hoo boy. It's even worse than I imagined. I have no idea where all the people stopped there came from.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...81e8ff684.jpeg

Best pic ever of you!

LesterOfPuppets 05-30-22 11:14 AM

Topo sandbox is so cool

Bah Humbug 05-30-22 11:15 AM

A layer of fiction can make a big difference. Watching GoT with all its horror? A-OK. Fake people, fun-house-mirror version of long-ago history. Top Gun? Fighter jets for entertainment? Not working for me (ditto games like Ace Combat) anymore.

However, even re-enacted "this woman was brutally murdered as so:"? Yeah, I can see that. I'm good with true crime podcasts, but not sure about the shows.

Meanwhile, it's specific enough that if I watch 24 I get action-movie nightmares and wake up exhausted. OTOH, Die Hard, Bond, Expendables... nothing like that has the effect. Only 24. It's weird.

Bah Humbug 05-30-22 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22524820)
The problem I always have with true crime stories is how often they have 10-15 minutes worth of information and plot and it still takes them an hour.

As with Jurassic Fight Club and many other shows.

Bah Humbug 05-30-22 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22524811)
Mrs. GJ ALWAYS turns the TV on when she enters the LR/DR area. Usually the news. Then she wanders away, leaving it on. I really don't get "I turn it on for noise", but then, I've got tinnitus, so I don't have to turn anything on to get noise.

Or she wakes up before dawn, goes out to the LR and watches TV to fall asleep, and I come out in the morning and the TV is on to the Hallmark Channel, because what's more soporific than made-for-TV movies with interchangeable plots and casts? In the evenings, we try to find something we both like, but the problem is, she doesn't like anything. It's not that she doesn't like anything I like. It's that she doesn't like anything. Well, that's maybe too harsh. She does like things, but then we binge them and once they're gone, they're gone.

I need the background noise. However, this is why shows like GMFB exist. Serious shows that require attention are watched on the trainer or onesy-twosy with AG, on the occasion she's up for one (like Severance).

Velo Vol 05-30-22 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22524891)
Best pic ever of you!

Inside there was a mascot roaming about and people were taking pictures with it. SMH.

Velo Vol 05-30-22 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22524910)
Inside there was a mascot roaming about and people were taking pictures with it. SMH.

Gas was $3.99, which was 20ish cents cheaper than other stations nearby, so I will give them that.

indyfabz 05-30-22 11:33 AM

Found an old photo I took and posted on Facebook.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a640697a8.jpeg

Bah Humbug 05-30-22 11:37 AM

PAOTD

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5f15dcd91.jpeg