Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

DougRNS 07-29-22 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591523)
Mrs datlas and I are looking at our late October trip options. We had considered LA/Hawaii but she got "sticker shock" from the airfare and other costs. Now we are considering other closer options that we can do in a day's drive. Her latest idea is Richmond, VA. We are looking for a place that will be warmer than PA, have good cycling options, and good food/cultural attractions.

Comments? Other suggestions?

Northwest Metro Atlanta area

BTinNYC 07-29-22 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591523)
... have good cycling options, and good food/cultural attractions.

Comments? Other suggestions?

We really enjoyed a recent stay in Rehoboth Beach. Flat cycling to be sure, but we found the Delaware shore towns charming and the food was wonderful.

MoAlpha 07-29-22 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22591641)
As it happens, my 72 year old sister just got out of the hospital with what appears to have been hyponatremia caused by Celexa. Her pulse and BP went wonky for a couple days after starting a new prescription for chronic anxiety. Now she's on salt pills and instructions to only drink 40 oz/day.

Well known side effect. Glad she's okay. Scary business.

MoAlpha 07-29-22 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591605)
A few months ago we went to Asheville NC, I got to ride up Mt Mitchell which is the tallest peak East of the Mississippi.

Was supposed to go to Asheville today to visit in-laws, but COVID.

genejockey 07-29-22 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591697)
Well known side effect. Glad she's okay. Scary business.

Yes, it was! Just the thing for someone with anxiety issues!

datlas 07-29-22 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591700)
Was supposed to go to Asheville today to visit in-laws, but COVID.

You or them??

datlas 07-29-22 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by BTinNYC (Post 22591689)
We really enjoyed a recent stay in Rehoboth Beach. Flat cycling to be sure, but we found the Delaware shore towns charming and the food was wonderful.

We are familiar with the Delaware shore. It's lovely but TOO FLAT.

MoAlpha 07-29-22 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591720)
You or them??

Them, via one of their kids. We have been spared so far. It helps to have no life.

big john 07-29-22 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591727)
Them, via one of their kids. We have been spared so far. It helps to have no life.

We have a similar protection plan.

datlas 07-29-22 10:21 AM

We have also been spared. We are uber-cautious, plus lucky. For example, when we went to Asheville we refused to eat inside at any restaurants. We still have not done so, we do either outdoor seating or carry-out and always wear Kn95 masks when indoors in any public place.

DougRNS 07-29-22 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22591678)
Northwest Metro Atlanta area

Google Says 13 hours. 2 hours past my day trip limit. The Doug meet up will have to wait.

Bah Humbug 07-29-22 10:36 AM

Amen. Boss's whole family got it thanks to a HS senior class event. This also drives the next house requirements.

MoAlpha 07-29-22 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591743)
We have also been spared. We are uber-cautious, plus lucky. For example, when we went to Asheville we refused to eat inside at any restaurants. We still have not done so, we do either outdoor seating or carry-out and always wear Kn95 masks when indoors in any public place.

We go to indoor restaurants, but not crowded ones, and don't go to large social gatherings. LSS masks for shopping etc. and I usually do if it's more than just a dash in and out. My work is still 100% masked, except alone in one's own office.

WhyFi 07-29-22 11:05 AM

A chipmunk has been pissing me off by eating all of the tomatoes in the garden, about a week before they'd be ripe enough to pick. So, I done caught it.

It would scurry to the gutter downspout extensions when threatened, so I just plugged it up inside there. Then I disconnected the extension (taking care to ensure that the chipmunk was in there and not scrabbling up the elbow) and then upended it in to a 5 gal bucket with lid.

Now, I'm undecided on what to do with the annoying little bugger. The kids know about the chipmunk but are unaware that I've trapped it. Do I just off it and give the kids the classic, "well, it must have ran away"? Or do I take it, and the kids, to release it at a nearby (but far enough away) park?

Decisions, decision.

phrantic09 07-29-22 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22591799)
A chipmunk has been pissing me off by eating all of the tomatoes in the garden, about a week before they'd be ripe enough to pick. So, I done caught it.

It would scurry to the gutter downspout extensions when threatened, so I just plugged it up inside there. Then I disconnected the extension (taking care to ensure that the chipmunk was in there and not scrabbling up the elbow) and then upended it in to a 5 gal bucket with lid.

Now, I'm undecided on what to do with the annoying little bugger. The kids know about the chipmunk but are unaware that I've trapped it. Do I just off it and give the kids the classic, "well, it must have ran away"? Or do I take it, and the kids, to release it at a nearby (but far enough away) park?

Decisions, decision.

So here in NY, it’s illegal to transport rodents such as chipmunks, squirrels or woodchucks to another location and free them. I’d go the must have run off route.

datlas 07-29-22 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22591793)
We go to indoor restaurants, but not crowded ones, and don't go to large social gatherings. LSS masks for shopping etc. and I usually do if it's more than just a dash in and out. My work is still 100% masked, except alone in one's own office.

:twitchy:

MoAlpha 07-29-22 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22591821)
:twitchy:

We eat out about once every three months.

Bah Humbug 07-29-22 11:33 AM

Decisions, decision.

I mean, it's cat food. Why be squeamish?

genejockey 07-29-22 11:49 AM

We do take out. Mrs. GeneJockey and I have largely avoided eating out for over 2 years now. And we don't do large social gatherings, because we're both introverts. I always mask to shop.

It's always possible we got IT at some point and had no more than subclinical symptoms. I kinda wish they had a widely available, cheap antibody test for that, but given that neither the vaccines nor prior infection prevent infection, there's no crying public health need for one.

rjones28 07-29-22 12:08 PM

A chipmunk ...

What's that like?

WhyFi 07-29-22 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22591807)
So here in NY, it’s illegal to transport rodents such as chipmunks, squirrels or woodchucks to another location and free them. I’d go the must have run off route.

Harsh. I ended up taking it, and the girl, to a park to release it. The girl enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22591841)
I mean, it's cat food. Why be squeamish?

Ha. Yeah, right. We've got one cat left, she's ~17 years old and hasn't had an ounce of prey drive in all of that time.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22591898)
What's that like?

It did *not* look like any of the following -

https://geekanything.com/wp-content/...hipmunks1a.jpg

Bah Humbug 07-29-22 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22591911)
Ha. Yeah, right. We've got one cat left, she's ~17 years old and hasn't had an ounce of prey drive in all of that time.

Oh, I just meant in terms of regards for it, not to feed it to an actual cat.

genejockey 07-29-22 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22591911)
Harsh. I ended up taking it, and the girl, to a park to release it. The girl enjoyed it.

It did *not* look like any of the following -

https://geekanything.com/wp-content/...hipmunks1a.jpg

Oh, lord. Them. Cripes.

There are chipmunks in Mom and Dad's flower garden (I suppose it's now Cheryl's garden), which are always fun to watch zipping around. Also squirrels and rabbits, though the local cat population does what it can to keep them in check. Probably why the chipmunks move so fast.

Mojo31 07-29-22 12:42 PM

We do much the same. Try to stay away from the known and obvious bozos.

Mojo31 07-29-22 12:45 PM

Decisions, decision.

I know what I’d do. But then I don’t think a 30-06 is overkill for our feral cats that sheet on the patio furniture. *

*Does not apply to domestic kitties.