Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gna 05-16-22 08:47 AM

Pepin
 
Weather was very nice for Pepin. Maybe a bit warm on Saturday, but even had a tailwind pushing me into Nelson.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...133326ea5b.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1380923ab4.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02cd12367a.jpg
Mmmmm

Salubrious 05-16-22 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22507541)
Deformed, or was the bead not seating correctly? Just curious, seeing as the CdV is a fairly thin, high-thread-count tire. In some ways, it's not the best thing to combine with a straight-side steel rim, even though it's generally doable.

-Kurt

I struggleed with the idea of the bead not seated correctly but on several wheels the same part of the tire did the same thing. Definitely deformed.


Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22507826)
My wife and I have been wanting to go to the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour for years, but it never works out. Please let us know how it went!

The weather was great. The trilliums were out in force near the top of the Bay City Hill. There was a sizable contingent trading notes at the church at the top of the hill.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e1a18afae.jpg


The Pelican Cafe in Maiden Rock failed to run out of quiche and strawberry custard pie. I spotted a Bob Jackson.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25b6ad1f68.jpg

Stockholm has a couple of nice stops but a bit too late for elevenses. The Arnold Palmer certainly hit the spot.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd19b00115.jpg

Salubrious 05-16-22 12:33 PM

There are stories of the Loch Pepin monster 'Peppie'. Apparently the Wisconsin DNR pulled a 5 foot long bull shark out of the Loch a few years back so there may be some truth to Peppie.https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b64bde5f2d.jpg

bikamper 05-16-22 04:27 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22508701)


The weather was great. The trilliums were out in force near the top of the Bay City Hill. There was a sizable contingent trading notes at the church at the top of the hill.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e1a18afae.jpg


I had to miss it this year, but are you sure it was trading notes and not trading flasks at the top of Bay City Hill. ;)

1989Pre 05-16-22 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 22507167)
Those double pinstripes were also Dunlop Sprites and likely original to the early 70's, even late 60's.

These were on the bike when I bought it used:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0e187e223f.jpg

gna 05-16-22 07:44 PM


Originally Posted by bikamper (Post 22509008)
I had to miss it this year, but are you sure it was trading notes and not trading flasks at the top of Bay City Hill. ;)

I might have been sharing some Basil Hayden's.

eatontkd 05-17-22 12:42 AM


Originally Posted by 1989Pre (Post 22506567)
How do you like the T1's? I am considering them.

Too early to give much of a report. They mounted as I expected. Seem to be a bit smaller profile but I like the ride. This bike is usually a just around my neighborhood type of ride, so I couldn't give you much in the way of distance/weather review.

OTS 05-17-22 02:39 AM

Vintage Raleigh Superbe 3-speed Bikes - $750 (Danville, Illinois)

https://chambana.craigslist.org/bik/...484351744.html

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9b94e7efdc.jpg
Look to be hardly ridden, ad says they were purchased in the mid 70's

swampyankee2 05-17-22 07:24 AM

Not sure if this has already been posted since it's been on FB Marketplace for a while. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5279308509616/
https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Mw&oe=62891EE7
Not English, but it is a 3 speed. I'm tempted to buy it. It would slot in between my Raleigh Sports and my Dutch Fongers single speed.

gster 05-17-22 11:47 AM


Originally Posted by swampyankee2 (Post 22509562)
Not sure if this has already been posted since it's been on FB Marketplace for a while. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5279308509616/
https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Mw&oe=62891EE7
Not English, but it is a 3 speed. I'm tempted to buy it. It would slot in between my Raleigh Sports and my Dutch Fongers single speed.

The front forks look pushed in

clubman 05-17-22 11:49 AM


Originally Posted by swampyankee2 (Post 22509562)
https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Mw&oe=62891EE7
Not English, but it is a 3 speed. I'm tempted to buy it. It would slot in between my Raleigh Sports and my Dutch Fongers single speed.

Looks like pure Birmingham to me. I see that it's Dutch in online examples but I really wonder if it's maybe a rebrand out of Smethwick. The fork crown, the chainguard, Terry saddle and the Midland rack all look the part.

52telecaster 05-17-22 11:51 AM

Lake Pepin Fotos we're cool. Ty!

Salubrious 05-17-22 12:01 PM


Originally Posted by bikamper (Post 22509008)
I had to miss it this year, but are you sure it was trading notes and not trading flasks at the top of Bay City Hill. ;)

That might have happened. This gentleman regarded his travel box as a bit of a failure, owing to room enough only for one bottle.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cdda79dce4.jpg

swampyankee2 05-17-22 12:10 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 22509864)
Looks like pure Birmingham to me. I see that it's Dutch in online examples but I really wonder if it's maybe a rebrand out of Smethwick. The fork crown, the chainguard Terry saddle and the Midland rack all look the part.

Maybe but I saw alot of the typical English-style Dutch 3 speeds in Holland. The Fietsmuseum Velorama in Nijmegen had alot of similar Dutch-built bikes on display as well.

swampyankee2 05-17-22 12:14 PM

You 3 Speeders know how to ride with style!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cdda79dce4.jpg

swampyankee2 05-17-22 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22509863)
The front forks look pushed in

They do. Not the first time I've had to deal with that....

Salubrious 05-17-22 12:27 PM


Originally Posted by swampyankee2 (Post 22509897)
You 3 Speeders know how to ride with style!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cdda79dce4.jpg

A proper three speed should have plenty of style :)

clubman 05-17-22 01:55 PM


Originally Posted by swampyankee2 (Post 22509889)
Maybe but I saw alot of the typical English-style Dutch 3 speeds in Holland. The Fietsmuseum Velorama in Nijmegen had alot of similar Dutch-built bikes on display as well.

I getcha. My ex was from Amsterdam so I've owned Fongers, Batavus and Gazelle roadsters. Gazelle had a production-sharing arrangement with Raleigh so it just makes me wonder about that one.

gna 05-17-22 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by 52telecaster (Post 22509868)
Lake Pepin Fotos we're cool. Ty!

A few more
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...614b89afa4.jpg
Tabor Church. Was going to fill my water bottle with delicious, cool well water, but someone was watering.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ed1541874f.jpg
One of the Winnipeg crew brought cold beer to share at the top of Bay City Hill.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d53c7d308e.jpg
Lake Pepin Marker
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...05bca2f745.jpg
At Smiling Pelican
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d2d60ea3e5.jpg
Lake Pepin
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...125ccb7ea4.jpg
At Scenic overlook

jamesj 05-17-22 03:00 PM

I defiantly need one of these for my 3 speed. Anyone have contact info? :thumb:


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22509880)
That might have happened. This gentleman regarded his travel box as a bit of a failure, owing to room enough only for one bottle.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cdda79dce4.jpg


Tyres 05-18-22 11:50 AM

Chocolate brown free spirit found.
 
I'm reposting this l think. Recently found in the trash an almost mint chocolate brown paint Free Spirit exact same brown as my 20 and other Raleigh products. Is it a Raleigh? Regardless l intend to scorcherize it. All the deraileur and levers were crap and seriously rusted however the brakes themselves were upgrades and look like Tectros. The dropbars were pretty rusted and anyhow l'm going uprights. I also have a pinkish 5speed deraileur women's triumph. I plan on taking the stem and handlebars, northroads l think and transferring them over to the free spirit.the tires tubes and 26" steel rims arayas weren't rusty and will all be reused.
.For now this'll be scorcher light as l don't have an SA hub, it'll be a coaster for now with a front brake. Or if l find a Shimano S3C which l've got on my winter 3 speed and l really like.
.They both have Sugino cranks and chainrings 8", if l'm gonna temporarily run a coaster hub and chain A. Will the chain fit? B. Can l use the double ring 10 speed chainring (only the large one) or do . I have to pull the single ring from the triumph and replace the Free Spirits double ring?
. Thanks Keith

Tyres 05-18-22 12:48 PM

Handlebars. How narrow is too narrow
 
I'm looking at my 10 speed handlebars which l planned on switching for some uprights, wishing l had a pair of level bars . What if l flipped my drop bars cut off the drop portion and stuck grips on the ends. . I'd have a narrow set of level upright bars. Has anybody tried this? K

Mike from Iowa 05-18-22 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22509880)
That might have happened. This gentleman regarded his travel box as a bit of a failure, owing to room enough only for one bottle.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cdda79dce4.jpg

Oh yeah, I had some of Julio's Hooch, (A nifty little bit of alliteration there!)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e283b520fb.jpg

nlerner 05-18-22 02:02 PM

Some interesting-looking deals on CL in the Boston area. Too bad I have too many bikes!

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...480707634.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bi...475239338.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...484014524.html

Salubrious 05-18-22 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by Tyres (Post 22511276)
I'm looking at my 10 speed handlebars which l planned on switching for some uprights, wishing l had a pair of level bars . What if l flipped my drop bars cut off the drop portion and stuck grips on the ends. . I'd have a narrow set of level upright bars. Has anybody tried this? K

They have. Its a bit uncomfortable unless you have narrow shoulders.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.