Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Mike from Iowa 09-02-10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by banjo_mole (Post 11383855)
Gorgeous bike. I play banjo, too. Lucky. You're a future me. :)

Or maybe a previous you?

Mike from Iowa 09-02-10 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mkeller234 (Post 11384864)
Nice bike! I haven't seen many Humbers before yours. I like the color and the head badge a lot.

I'm pretty sure this was built by Raleigh. It is the same color green as many of theirs. When I searched old Humbers, the ones before the consolidation looked quite a bit different. I also have a matching step through Humber that my wife rides on occasion, but she is devoted to her Trek Pilot...

gna 09-02-10 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from Iowa (Post 11400917)
I'm pretty sure this was built by Raleigh. It is the same color green as many of theirs. When I searched old Humbers, the ones before the consolidation looked quite a bit different. I also have a matching step through Humber that my wife rides on occasion, but she is devoted to her Trek Pilot...

I've seen a few Humbers. Here's a '51--note the fork:
http://photos.imageevent.com/abce/20...e/CIMG5251.JPG

From Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour

There was also a gentleman from Winnipeg, Jeff (Geoff?) who had a blue Humber.

noglider 09-02-10 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by gna (Post 11401209)

Wow.

jedge76 09-04-10 05:54 PM

This one is still available in West Jersey. Damn, I used to live in South Jersey.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1924504388.html

noglider 09-04-10 06:47 PM

The price is too high.

jedge76 09-04-10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 11411362)
The price is too high.

Yea...$325! And is it me or does that paint look right? It seems like it may be newer as it's a deeper green than I've seen on the Sports Superbe's. Either way, a lot of dough.

Sixty Fiver 09-04-10 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 11411362)
The price is too high.

Sold my Superbe for $275.00 some years ago... I see it's owner quite often and he figures the bike was worth very penny he paid.

Think that with the price of a Pashley running at roughly $1000.00, $325.00 for a Superbe in near perfect or perhaps NOS condition is not a bad deal.

You could buy it and ride it for 100 years if you wanted to.

jedge76 09-04-10 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11411684)
Sold my Superbe for $275.00 some years ago... I see it's owner quite often and he figures the bike was worth very penny he paid.

Think that with the price of a Pashley running at roughly $1000.00, $325.00 for a Superbe in near perfect or perhaps NOS condition is not a bad deal.

That's the other thing...you don't even have to go as far as Pashley. It doesn't take much to drop $500 plus dollars at your local LBS for a bike that is laden with low end components.

I asked the fellow if he would ship. I'm awaiting a reply. Just to see and give me something to think about.

wahoonc 09-05-10 06:39 AM

Here are a couple of my current projects:
The first is a 1964 AMF Hercules that was given to me by the LBS. It has been cleaned up, overhauled, added basket, saddle, grips, new cables, new tires and the all important bell. It is going to my sister to use as a park cruiser.

The second is a reincarnation of a bike that I have had since 1982. I swapped out the 19t cog for a 22t, added baskets and am working on the lights. It is going to be used as an in town grocery getter and pub bike. Need the baskets to haul the growlers home:innocent::D

Aaron :)

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/27...600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/45...600x600Q85.jpg

gbalke 09-05-10 07:29 AM

Sometime in the late 60's I believe, Humbers lost their distinctiveness and closely resembled Raleighs in design and colors; the chain wheel and decals being the only indicator between the two makes. Since receiving my '54 Humber Sports, I've set up a couple of galleries on Humbers on my Flickr page just to document the variety of Humber bikes that have been built. Here are some links:

Humber Roadster style: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stl914/...7624594508875/

Humber Sorts & Clubman style: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stl914/...7624718679306/

I'm always looking for more info and photos to add.

Sixty Fiver 09-05-10 11:17 AM

I would love to test ride a Humber with that fork to see how it affects the ride... it is quite a unique design.

jedge76 09-05-10 01:50 PM

That is an interesting fork. I also love the creme/green color combo. Was it common to place the 3 speed shifter on the top tube back in those days as well? I like that, it's a nice touch for some reason.

Sixty Fiver 09-05-10 01:54 PM

The top mounted shifter was very common on bikes from this era... the old Cyclo 2 and three speed kits also used a top mounted shifter.

jedge76 09-05-10 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11411684)

To follow up, 65-er, price is relative. There are areas where certain things are common and others where they are not making a particular item much more sought after, hence more costly. Check out the completed Ebay listings and you will see average shape Tourists go for $300, tip-top shape is $500 or more. I've seen both Sports and Sports Superbes easily fetch $300-500 dollars or more. There's a Superbe on Ebay right now that is sitting at $560, with a $100 S&H charge lurking to add on top of the winning bid. When I collected baseball cards as a kid, my mother would always say that something is worth only as much as what someone is willing to pay for it. The midwest and east coast seemingly have the monopoly on vintage Raleighs/Schwinns, etc. Ohio eastward. It's a different perspective if you live on the opposite coast.

Plus, it seems like there's an increase in desire to own one of these bikes. Reminds me of late 70's, early 80's Ponitacs or mid-80's Mustangs that are now seen as classic and commanding higher prices. I remember those cars were a dime a dozen in my childhood days. Things change and so does perspective.

Sixty Fiver 09-05-10 02:15 PM

The prices on vintage 3 speeds has been increasing over the past several years and many examples in very nice shape will actually cost more now than when they did new.

Recently saw a pair of NOS Raleigh Tourists sell for $800.00... they had been in storage since they were new in 1978.

The price of Raleigh folders has gone up as well... seems that a greater and greater number of us are drinking and sharing the kool - aid and despite getting a great price on my new R20 would not have been surprised if the asking price had been double since it is a rarer model.

Sixty Fiver 09-05-10 02:17 PM

I will also say that in many cases these bikes sell for much less than what they are actually worth... in many cases you can get a rock solid and dependable bike for very little money and with a little work will have a bike you can ride for decades.

Andrew F 09-05-10 02:24 PM

Jedge, this one is mint and looks like it's going for close to $700 in NY where these are all over the place. This one is nice, it's got the full chaincase. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Raleigh-...item2eaf6ea3de

Sixty Fiver 09-05-10 02:29 PM

My better half has suggested that I collect a good number of these old bikes and bring them to Portland to sell and having been there and seen the asking prices think this would be quite profitable.

A bike that sells here for 200.00 would rate double that amount in a market where bBitish made Raleighs are scarce and where the climate really takes a toll on the existing examples.

Our arid climate does a lot to preserve bicycles.

jedge76 09-05-10 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11414234)
I will also say that in many cases these bikes sell for much less than what they are actually worth... in many cases you can get a rock solid and dependable bike for very little money and with a little work will have a bike you can ride for decades.

Agreed. I also noticed the increase in the Raleigh Twenty...I see them go regularly for around $300-330 on Ebay and a lot of them are not the cleanest specimens. And I have yet to see the 451 versionyou have, which is a real beauty.

Originally Posted by Andrew F (Post 11414254)
Jedge, this one is mint and looks like it's going for close to $700 in NY where these are all over the place. This one is nice, it's got the full chaincase. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Raleigh-...item2eaf6ea3de

Andrew--this was the one I referred to in one of my last posts or two in this forum...it's on Ebay right now and I saw it on CL as well. $560 at the moment, maybe it goes higher before the auction is over, plus $100 S&H at least. A nice bike obviously. There was an "OK" Superbe on Ebay last week w/ a buy it now price of $339...someone jumped on it even though I thought it might sit. Again, that didn't include the S&H of around $75 the seller was asking for. Maybe a lot of these are local pick-ups, but I have to believe there are a lot of people outside of the NY area, in this case, bidding on this bike and willing to fork over that cash. There's definitely an upsurge on these bikes.

The thought that keeps circulating in my head is what can you get for $300-400 brand new in today's bike world? A Giant Sedona? Not that that's a bad bike, just doesn't seem to be the bullet proof Raleighs or even vintage Chicago Schwinn. Nor does it have the vibe. Let's be honest, the vibe is intoxicating. :)

jedge76 09-05-10 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11414170)
The top mounted shifter was very common on bikes from this era... the old Cyclo 2 and three speed kits also used a top mounted shifter.

I wonder if that was done to offer a little more protection from potential bumps and bruises it may encounter on the handle bar? Seems more exposed on the handle bar the way it is placed.

Athens runner 09-05-10 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jedge76 (Post 11414298)
I wonder if that was done to offer a little more protection from potential bumps and bruises it may encounter on the handle bar? Seems more exposed on the handle bar the way it is placed.

No, I don't think so. I don't think it was made like that, because of protection. It's rather a matter of simplicity: No outer cable, just the inside one.
And probably, adding to the "feel" of changing gears, with the small three speed trigger.
By the way, this is one of my favourite threads. Thanks SixtyFiver, for starting it, and thanks to everybody, who keeps it going/evolving!

jedge76 09-05-10 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Athens runner (Post 11414346)
No, I don't think so. I don't think it was made like that, because of protection. It's rather a matter of simplicity: No outer cable, just the inside one.
And probably, adding to the "feel" of changing gears, with the small three speed trigger.
By the way, this is one of my favourite threads. Thanks SixtyFiver, for starting it, and thanks to everybody, who keeps it going/evolving!

Ahhh. that makes sense...a little more simplicity.

Sixty Fiver 09-05-10 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jedge76 (Post 11414298)

Seems that a bar placement is the safer one... top tube mounted shifters are strategically placed to make one sing a few octaves higher should you come off the saddle a little too vigorously.

On drop bars the trigger was often mounted below the brake lever which is a very convenient place and is like using a modern brifter as you can brake and shift at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for making this thread about as interesting as it gets here on Bike Forums... it was my love of English three speeds and vintage bicycles that drew me here in the first place.

Sixty Fiver 09-05-10 10:06 PM

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/basil1.JPG
1977 Raleigh Folder

Musing...

Although I can't ride the new Twenty as far or at the same speed I can with the Raleigh Sports or my modified P20 folder I have really been enjoying it and have been riding it daily for over a week... mostly for short trips around the neighborhood and as far as the bike co-op which is a 14km return trip.

For any longer trips I need drop bars as this whole sitting upright still isn't all it can be but has been a little better of late and I can still ride farther on the twenty than I can walk.

It has gotten me to thinking why we have such affection for these bicycles and think much of it comes down to their relative simplicity... a Sturmey Archer 3 speed is a complex mechanical device but designed in such a way that we rarely have to think about what it actually does. Only a coaster bike is simpler.

There is something about riding along on a crisp fall-like day and hearing the tick tick tick of that hub as it does what it does so well and despite one's desire to go faster the bike politely reminds us that sometimes, faster is not better, and that there is nothing wrong with pootling and enjoying the sights and smells of the season.

These bikes have soul and character and until recently were relatively unwanted, gathering dust, or being unceremoniously tossed in favour of newer more technologically advanced machines and it is so good to see that people are out there saving them and giving them some love.

And we seem to be doing a good job of spreading the gospel of simpler is better and that riding a three speed can be good for one's soul.

:)