Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Peugeotlover 02-10-18 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My '72. My brother claimed my 3-speed Rollfast when I left home in 1970; he still has it.

dweenk 02-10-18 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My late father-in-law had 3 running Triumph sport cars (TR3, TR4, and Spitfire). He also had 3 more parts cars under tarps to supply parts. As I recall, he placed a shop rag over his right shoe when he drove the Spitfire to absorb the brake fluid dripping from the master cylinder. His daily commute was from Campbell to Stanford's linear accelerator.

merziac 02-10-18 01:46 PM

3 Speeds are one of the featured catagorie's for Velocirque at Velocult in PDX ,Sat. Feb. 24th ride at 10, show at 3

johnnyspaghetti 02-11-18 10:35 AM

I am not very familiar with the "20". I like em quite a bit. I see you are new on the forum & you need to research this entire thread or the folding bikes thread, There are many "20" folks here. You want to get it right with the fasteners and the washers are very important to have correct, do some searches.You want the fender stay in the right position all is complicated further by the dynOhub being there.

BigChief 02-11-18 01:17 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20163439)
I am not very familiar with the "20". I like em quite a bit. I see you are new on the forum & you need to research this entire thread or the folding bikes thread, There are many "20" folks here. You want to get it right with the fasteners and the washers are very important to have correct, do some searches.You want the fender stay in the right position all is complicated further by the dynOhub being there.

I know you're not crazy, I saw that post when I had my morning coffee. Vanishing like that just ain't natural. It will be the talk around Bree for the next hundred years.

clubman 02-11-18 01:23 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 20161630)
They fixed that really irritating problem in the latest versions - no more kink.

Indeed, looks great!

https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cyc...?itok=efnM_reY

johnnyspaghetti 02-11-18 01:43 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20163695)
I know you're not crazy, I saw that post when I had my morning coffee. Vanishing like that just ain't natural. It will be the talk around Bree for the next hundred years.

I wasn't hallucinating then.

BigChief 02-11-18 04:30 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20163706)

I'm glad they fixed that. Now this comes across as a genuine traditional design. Bigger and beefier, but still, a fine looking bike and worthy of the Bonneville name. Might have to have one someday, but getting used to shifting on the left and braking on the right could be a problem after all these years. I think the rear suspension springs would look better with covers though.

BigChief 02-11-18 04:53 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20163739)
I wasn't hallucinating then.

It was all just a fragment of your hallucination!

Mikier 02-11-18 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by merziac (Post 20162145)
3 Speeds are one of the featured catagorie's for Velocirque at Velocult in PDX ,Sat. Feb. 24th ride at 10, show at 3

It's on my calendar... see you there...

merziac 02-11-18 08:56 PM

Most excellent, tell your friends, bang the drum, come one come all. :thumb:



Originally Posted by Mikier (Post 20164328)
It's on my calendar... see you there...


ifgd 02-11-18 09:25 PM


Originally Posted by restlessswind (Post 20160899)
Nice Triumph! I used to have an old Triumph Motorcycle that I poured hours of love and lots of money into. It was a 1970 Tiger 650 (Like a Bonneville, but with a single carburetor)

Gorgeous Triumph! I've dreamed of owning one of those for years.

ddeand 02-12-18 12:01 AM

Well, it’s official. My wife is not too happy with me and she’s willing to blame all of you. Something about all the riff-raff I’ve been hanging with. After I got my first 3-speed, I realized it was a little small for me. So . . . of course, I went out and bought two more frames. Both are large Raleigh Sports frames - one is a ‘73 and the other is a ‘62. The ‘62 is in the best condition, so that’s the one I’ll concentrate on. The workshop is getting to be a jungle - three Sports frames, six boxes of parts, a complete Cannondale R600, a complete Gazelle racer, five sets of wheels and tires, and two guitar projects. Seems about right.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL41.../413773105.jpg

BigChief 02-12-18 06:02 AM


Originally Posted by ddeand (Post 20164702)
Well, it’s official. My wife is not too happy with me and she’s willing to blame all of you. Something about all the riff-raff I’ve been hanging with. After I got my first 3-speed, I realized it was a little small for me. So . . . of course, I went out and bought two more frames. Both are large Raleigh Sports frames - one is a ‘73 and the other is a ‘62. The ‘62 is in the best condition, so that’s the one I’ll concentrate on. The workshop is getting to be a jungle - three Sports frames, six boxes of parts, a complete Cannondale R600, a complete Gazelle racer, five sets of wheels and tires, and two guitar projects. Seems about right.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL41.../413773105.jpg

That 62 tall frame looks very nice, from the little I see. (more pics) Looks like a very worthy project. I hate not having projects going in my workshop. For me, it used to be old English motorcycles. They're gone now except one so my wife is happy it's "only" bicycles. See? It's a matter of perspective!

johnnyspaghetti 02-12-18 07:34 AM

Sounds like you got the fever. It could be chronic. I would make sure all is straight on that 62' I would use that one. The 62 has an oil port on the BB.

gster 02-12-18 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20164834)
That 62 tall frame looks very nice, from the little I see. (more pics) Looks like a very worthy project. I hate not having projects going in my workshop. For me, it used to be old English motorcycles. They're gone now except one so my wife is happy it's "only" bicycles. See? It's a matter of perspective!

Yes, perspective.
I used to have motorcycles in the house.
It's funny, women don't care for the smell of gas....

BigChief 02-13-18 12:12 PM

Nice looking 55 Rudge in NJ. It's interesting to me because it has an alloy shell AW hub. My 55 came with one, so the chances of mine being original just went up a notch. This bike has the correct mid 50s lug shape, tall frame, Brooks saddle, good looking chrome and paint and that cool alloy AW. Nice.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-195...oAAOSwn25aFJNM

noglider 02-13-18 01:26 PM

Someone should pick up that Rudge!

BigChief 02-13-18 06:13 PM

Yeah, this one's really bugging me. I've always wanted to do a like new restoration, but would never wreck an original finish. This one looks like it might be painted over. At least there's no sign of the transfers in the photos. The chrome all looks good from here. All the transfers are available. If I didn't just buy a Rudge, I'd have to go for this one. Oh well. Next time

clubman 02-13-18 07:07 PM

That chrome looks perfect...I have a 53 womens Rudge with very faded transfers. It's nice. The entry fee is higher than normal however.

BigChief 02-13-18 08:35 PM

True, it is over priced, but the idea of building a shiny new 50s Rudge really appeals to me and that project would require a bike in rather good condition with an over painted frame. A tall frame for me, at least from the 50s and a Rudge, even better. Pretty rare. But then, the project I have for this summer will be plenty challenging. I'll be busy, but someday I will find that perfect bike for a total restoration.

ddeand 02-13-18 09:18 PM

Incoming questions!

So, I found that the fork on the ‘62 Sports is totally buggered (I knew that going in), so I will have to use the fork from the ’73 Sports instead (hope it matches up). I still don’t know how standardized the various components will be. One big difference between the two headsets is with the top bearing race. Here is a shot of the ‘73 race.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL41.../413775613.jpg

And here is a shot of the’62 race.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL41.../413775614.jpg

The older bearing race doesn’t have the “cup” that the newer ones have (my ‘65 Sports has the cup). So, is there a part missing? Is this how the race should look on the ‘62? If necessary, will I be able to swap out headsets? The 1962 frame is looking pretty good and will shine up nicely. Thanks for bearing with me as I go through these old bikes. I appreciate the help!

BigChief 02-14-18 04:42 AM


Originally Posted by ddeand (Post 20168455)
Incoming questions!

So, I found that the fork on the ‘62 Sports is totally buggered (I knew that going in), so I will have to use the fork from the ’73 Sports instead (hope it matches up). I still don’t know how standardized the various components will be. One big difference between the two headsets is with the top bearing race. Here is a shot of the ‘73 race.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL41.../413775613.jpg

And here is a shot of the’62 race.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL41.../413775614.jpg

The older bearing race doesn’t have the “cup” that the newer ones have (my ‘65 Sports has the cup). So, is there a part missing? Is this how the race should look on the ‘62? If necessary, will I be able to swap out headsets? The 1962 frame is looking pretty good and will shine up nicely. Thanks for bearing with me as I go through these old bikes. I appreciate the help!

Somebody changed the races on the black frame. It should have the cups like the white one. You can just reach in the tube with a screwdriver and slowly tap them out. When installing new ones, some folks use a long bolt and two steel plates with holes to press them into the head tube, but you can also use a hammer and piece of wood to drive them into place one at a time. I find they tend to square up nicely that way. What's wrong with the original fork? The only difference between the 62 and 70s fork is the joint at the dropout, but it would still be nice to keep the original if possible.

ddeand 02-14-18 10:05 AM

Thanks, BigChief. I thought as much. The original fork head was bulged and warped beyond repair (I got this frame for a very small fee), and I figure the original owner tried to make it work by doing a different headset. I’ll just do some swapping and get an appropriate set in there.

johnnyspaghetti 02-14-18 12:27 PM

The top row is 1958 Robin Hood the bottom row is 1970 Herc. Everything interchanges. The only difference is the outer cut on the fork race.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...7&disp=safe&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...3&disp=safe&zw


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.