Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Training Status??? (IV) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1021397)

cyclingtolose 08-04-15 11:07 AM

Did my first ride on Zwift with my new Power Meter, have just started being able to train with power as of about 2 weeks ago. Can definitely see how Zwift can get addictive, it was a lot of fun watching people pass you, close gaps, and checking out the sprint point as well. Need to get the tension adjusted so that I can put more power out without spinning out in the tough gears, but really was a lot of fun. Ended up going for 1.5 hours instead of the 45 minutes I was going to do.

aaronmcd 08-04-15 01:43 PM

Went out for the usual 4 minute hill repeats today, but after getting a good time on another 3 minute hill on Saturday, decided to just go all out. Got 3:19 on my segment, which is about 10 seconds longer than the Strava segment. But my gps had issues, so didn't get an official Strava time. About 6 seconds off my PR, even with the bad pacing (went out quite a bit too hard I think). Loong recovery and hit it 2 more times at the usual 4 minutes.

globecanvas 08-04-15 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 18044214)
Went out for the usual 4 minute hill repeats today, but after getting a good time on another 3 minute hill on Saturday, decided to just go all out. Got 3:19 on my segment, which is about 10 seconds longer than the Strava segment. But my gps had issues, so didn't get an official Strava time. About 6 seconds off my PR, even with the bad pacing (went out quite a bit too hard I think). Loong recovery and hit it 2 more times at the usual 4 minutes.

Do you normally only do 3x4?

aaronmcd 08-04-15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 18044235)
Do you normally only do 3x4?

Haha nooo. Usually 5 or 6. Sometimes 4. Once I had time and energy for 7.

Edit. Uploaded the good data, 3:06 segment time, 9 seconds off PR. Still 10 seconds slower than Fudgy and a whopping 40 seconds slower than the freak KOM by some new cat 5.

hubcyclist 08-04-15 02:48 PM

Well, did my first couple of laps on Zwift, that was pretty fun.Makes the trainer less mind numbing. 229w NP for 35 mins.

caloso 08-04-15 02:51 PM

Lunchtime pyramid intervals. Man, I have some work to do.

TheKillerPenguin 08-04-15 05:39 PM

1.5hrs easy spin.

Last night: 167lbs wayyyy high for me, family reunion eating all day
2 minutes ago: 159lbs. Body, you so crazy.

bostongarden 08-04-15 05:53 PM

Short ride of 32 miles: first few and final few miles were relaxed spinning; otherwise, a bit above tempo when I joined up with a friend who is much faster and a much more accomplished cyclist than me.

Enthalpic 08-04-15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 18042187)

Disclaimer: I'm a neurologist not a cardiologist.

I thought you were a veterinarian? While I have tons of respect for vets, if you are going to put a disclaimer at all, I would add that.

Ygduf 08-04-15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 18044291)
Haha nooo. Usually 5 or 6. Sometimes 4. Once I had time and energy for 7.

Edit. Uploaded the good data, 3:06 segment time, 9 seconds off PR. Still 10 seconds slower than Fudgy and a whopping 40 seconds slower than the freak KOM by some new cat 5.

I ain't even going to look.. Markelz?

Heathpack 08-04-15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 18045137)
I thought you were a veterinarian? While I have tons of respect for vets, if you are going to put a disclaimer at all, I would add that.

Ok, sorry veterinary neurologist.

But do you imagine that an MD neurologist has significantly different physiology training or that CV physiology in a dog or a horse is different from a human? Actually logistically, I probably spend way more time thinking about CV physiology than does an MD neurologist because I am the one running my anesthesia (on an intellectual level, I am not literally the person administering the anesthesia) and managing my critical care cases so I make a lot of treatment decisions that an MD neurologist would delegate to an anesthesiologist or a criticalist.

But apologies if my disclaimer was somehow not enough of a disclaimer. ;)

Enthalpic 08-04-15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 18045232)
Ok, sorry veterinary neurologist.

But do you imagine that an MD neurologist has significantly different physiology training or that CV physiology in a dog or a horse is different from a human? Actually logistically, I probably spend way more time thinking about CV physiology than does an MD neurologist because I am the one running my anesthesia (on an intellectual level, I am not literally the person administering the anesthesia) and managing my critical care cases so I make a lot of treatment decisions that an MD neurologist would delegate to an anesthesiologist or a criticalist.

But apologies if my disclaimer was somehow not enough of a disclaimer. ;)

As I said I have a lot of respect for vets. The multidisciplinary nature of the work is what most impresses me. Still...

Heathpack 08-04-15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 18045301)
As I said I have a lot of respect for vets. The multidisciplinary nature of the work is what most impresses me. Still...

Ok, apologies. I have been deceptive and mis-represented myself. Sheesh.

Christobevii3 08-04-15 08:17 PM

For people who do 2x20' builds, if I break that up into say 5x8' does it give similar work? Is it just about time in that zone overall from that workout to get a benefit? I ask this because I live in a very limited area for riding during the week. I can usually get two 8 minute hits in a loop with a couple two minute relaxations between due to the route. Is this ok or should I be looking at something else?

furiousferret 08-04-15 08:20 PM

Legs were super sore, specifically both ankles, which is pretty pathetic. Slept for 4 hours last night, which was more than likely the cause of fatigue. Easy recovery.

Enthalpic 08-04-15 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 18045320)
Ok, apologies. I have been deceptive and mis-represented myself. Sheesh.

It's cool. ;) I'm a nobody -and I've already told you I think you are awesome- but still, you knew it was likely they would assume MD.

aaronmcd 08-04-15 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 18045183)

Who else?
He makes me think "climber" is a whole other species.

Ygduf 08-04-15 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 18045183)

He makes me think "EPO"...

Raced him at CCCX this week and it was really nothing special. Another another-run. He tried to attack a couple times and I wasn't impressed or anything. I don't know how he can do like 10w/kg for 5 minutes but then be totally normal at a race. He did win Berkeley Hills in the 35s though. And I guess he'll win Nationals if he goes.

aaronmcd 08-04-15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 18045629)
He makes me think "EPO"...

Raced him at CCCX this week and it was really nothing special. Another another-run. He tried to attack a couple times and I wasn't impressed or anything. I don't know how he can do like 10w/kg for 5 minutes but then be totally normal at a race. He did win Berkeley Hills in the 35s though. And I guess he'll win Nationals if he goes.

Wtf, they have a 35+ 1/2/3/4/5 field?? And it's only 8 w/kg for 2.5 minutes...

Wesley36 08-05-15 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Christobevii3 (Post 18045377)
For people who do 2x20' builds, if I break that up into say 5x8' does it give similar work? Is it just about time in that zone overall from that workout to get a benefit? I ask this because I live in a very limited area for riding during the week. I can usually get two 8 minute hits in a loop with a couple two minute relaxations between due to the route. Is this ok or should I be looking at something else?

From the reading I have done, with threshold intervals you want them to be 10' or longer. 3-8 min is more suited VO2Max intensity.

mike868y 08-05-15 07:59 AM

vo2 hill repeats today.

caloso 08-05-15 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 18045737)

My second race ever was a 35+1/2/3/4/5 crit. I had just done the E5 race and didn't get dropped, so I figured I'd also sign up for the old man race. It'll be a piece of cake!

D'oh!

grolby 08-05-15 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Christobevii3 (Post 18045377)

5x8 would not have the same effect as 2x20. That's not to say you can't boost threshold with shorter intervals, but in order to do so you need to modify the workout more than just breaking it up. Usually by increasing intensity and/or reducing rest intervals. Two minute rest intervals sounds good, but you'll also want to slightly bump your intensity. Maybe 103%-106% of FTP? One FTP workout protocol that's been popular around here is to do 6x5' at 105%-108% of FTP with one minute rest intervals. These are supposedly more effective at boosting FTP than traditional 2x20s. By messing around with the intensity level you might be able to make it work with an 8 minute work interval, but I'm no coach or physiology expert.

Ygduf 08-05-15 11:10 AM

I'm starting to remember the downsides of weightlifting.

Did something last friday and tweaked my wrist. It bugged me for a few days, but was well enough today to go back in. Today doing pullups I was struggling on the last rep and must have inadvertently or unconsciously tried to kip it and felt an abdominal strain. bleh.

mattm 08-05-15 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 18047077)
I'm starting to remember the downsides of weightlifting.

Did something last friday and tweaked my wrist. It bugged me for a few days, but was well enough today to go back in. Today doing pullups I was struggling on the last rep and must have inadvertently or unconsciously tried to kip it and felt an abdominal strain. bleh.

Dammit dude. Don't be one of those guys who keeps gets hurt from lifting!

hubcyclist 08-05-15 11:32 AM

Likely will do 6x5 at 108% today, and not just because grolby said so!

revchuck 08-05-15 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 18045737)

Where I race, it's often M40+ 1/2/3/4/5. I get stuck racing 41 year old Cat 1s as a 63 year old Cat 4 with two seasons experience. It keeps me humble. :cry: :lol:

aaronmcd 08-05-15 02:12 PM

PR on a half hour climb before my commute this morning.

shovelhd 08-05-15 08:48 PM

First WNW in a long time. Rode fast. Worked hard. One of the last three standing. Good jump for the final sprint but ran out of gas. Fred life does that to you.

furiousferret 08-05-15 09:02 PM

My right ankle is trashed, partly from the accident and partly from torqueing it while lifting. Day off, hopefully its better manana.