Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

BillyD 01-03-22 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22359828)
I find the first snowing day of the season sort of exciting, pretty, etc. and brings back a lot of pleasant memories as a child.

I find the first 0°F day absolutely depressing.

I like the snowy days for the same reasons, but I also like the 0* days because they create frozen lakes which force the eagles to congregate where I can find them.

genejockey 01-03-22 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22359884)
A propos of nothing in particular, I can't believe how much people seem to eat on casual/training rides. Actually, I can't believe how much they eat in general.

Having bonked once, on the 16 mile food-less stretch between Woodside and home, I always carry a bar and some chews, but I only eat on rides >3 hrs. And then usually only 200 Cal. of chews.

datlas 01-03-22 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22359884)
A propos of nothing in particular, I can't believe how much people seem to eat on casual/training rides. Actually, I can't believe how much they eat in general.

Agree. For less than 3 hours/50 miles I have zero calories. For 3-4 hours (50-65 miles) I will have ONE 200 calorie snack.

It's only for >4 hours/>75 mile rides I start putting calories in my bottles and eat more.

But I am not normal, apparently.

MoAlpha 01-03-22 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22359991)
Having bonked once, on the 16 mile food-less stretch between Woodside and home, I always carry a bar and some chews, but I only eat on rides >3 hrs. And then usually only 200 Cal. of chews.

I have bonked too and also carry a bar if I'm going longer than 3 hrs. Sometimes I even eat it.

There seems to be a belief abroad in the land that glycogen depletion results in a state where energy requirements need to be supplied 1:1 with glop or the rider will plotz.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22360006)
Agree. For less than 3 hours/50 miles I have zero calories. For 3-4 hours (50-65 miles) I will have ONE 200 calorie snack.

It's only for >4 hours/>75 mile rides I start putting calories in my bottles and eat more.

Your relevant enzyme systems are upregulated by proper base training. Surprisingly unusual.

Velo Vol 01-03-22 10:05 AM

For less than 3 hours/50 miles I have zero calories.

Same. Water also, usually.

big john 01-03-22 10:06 AM

50 mile flat cruise, no food needed, but if there is a social coffee stop I'll have something. 50 mile faster ride with 4000 feet of climbing, calories are needed.

I've done an 8 hour mountain bike ride and hike-a-bike day where lots of calories were needed.

When touring 90+ mile days @220 pounds plus 55-60 pound bike I was eating 6K calories per day and still lost weight over 6 weeks.

I've seen the featherweight climbers survive long days with minimal intake but also a 100 pound woman I know likes to have lunch on climbing days.

genejockey 01-03-22 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22360007)
I have bonked too and also carry a bar if I'm going longer than 3 hrs. Sometimes I even eat it.

There seems to be a belief abroad in the land that glycogen depletion results in a state where energy requirements need to be supplied 1:1 with glop or the rider will plotz.

I think there's confusing information out there - "Fuel The Workout", for example - which leads people to think that they have to fuel a casual 30 mile Z1/Z2 ride like a 2 hr Sweet Spot session. Last year, a noob asked about what kind of sports drink he should have, now that he was up to 30 minute sessions. I've been riding long enough to know that I can go 1 1/2 hours with no breakfast, just coffee, or 3 hours with breakfast, but if I go longer than that, or do a big, half hour or longer climb, I need to add some calories.

I still haven't figured out Zwifting, though. Because there's no stopping and no real coasting, the workout sessions tend to be a lot more intense. That, and I'm doing races and structured workouts. AND I'm generally Zwifting in the evening about the time I'm running out of lunch. So I keep a couple gels next to the trainer and sometime have one.

genejockey 01-03-22 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22360028)
Same. Water also, usually.

I'm curious how much you sweat. I have always been a profuse perspirer. I can easily lose 5 lbs in the course of a long ride on a not-particularly-hot day. I imagine if you don't sweat much you don't need to drink much.

indyfabz 01-03-22 10:12 AM

Look who showed up on a episode of The Waltons a couple of nights ago. She played the daughter of an overbearing, ultra-religious woman, three years before she took on a similar role in 1976’s “Carrie.”

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d496df239.jpeg

phrantic09 01-03-22 10:21 AM

I bring a clif bar if over 50 usually. Last metric I did I consumed 0 calories and did not bonk. Breakfast was an English muffin, an egg and a slice of muenster cheese in sandwich form prior to riding.

rjones28 01-03-22 10:22 AM

I usually have a Clif bar in my pocket. I don't always eat it, but it doesn't take up much space.

phrantic09 01-03-22 10:23 AM

Noticed something interesting on my revolt yesterday which is probably contributing to my issues on it. Saddle is about 40mm forward of position on the R3. I fixed it and will take it for a spin on the morrow. Wonder big my wattage will increase.

big john 01-03-22 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22360036)
I'm curious how much you sweat. I have always been a profuse perspirer. I can easily lose 5 lbs in the course of a long ride on a not-particularly-hot day. I imagine if you don't sweat much you don't need to drink much.

I sweat buckets. A friend said they have to mop the street after I ride by so the other cyclists don't slip in it. I lose 5-6 pounds on a 60 mile hilly ride in warm weather.

My worst bonk was a hot climbing ride when I tried to ration water early because I didn't want to stop and lose the group. I lost 11 pounds that day and felt pretty awful.
During the 100 degree days when everything was closed in 2020 I started carrying a 70 oz Camelbak plus 2 bottles and I never ran out of water.

You also lose water through breathing.

Velo Vol 01-03-22 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22360036)

I don't measure it, but it can be quite a bit once I get going.

Pre-hydration.

datlas 01-03-22 10:45 AM

Speaking of food, I just got an email from Chipotle trying to get me to try their new "Plant-based Chorizo."

I may have to investigate.

Velo Vol 01-03-22 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22360098)
Speaking of food, I just got an email from Chipotle trying to get me to try their new "Plant-based Chorizo."

You're on a mailing list?

datlas 01-03-22 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22360112)
You're on a mailing list?

Yeah, I think that's because I have the Chipotle app. It does offer easy ordering and occasional free guac.

Velo Vol 01-03-22 11:54 AM

<==Is on zero food email lists

seedsbelize2 01-03-22 12:18 PM

I've bonked so many times that I almost always carry a banana or two if more than a couple hours. And if I don't take any, I pick them up enroute. Buying a banana around here is like taking candy from a baby.

MoAlpha 01-03-22 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22360030)
I think there's confusing information out there - "Fuel The Workout", for example - which leads people to think that they have to fuel a casual 30 mile Z1/Z2 ride like a 2 hr Sweet Spot session. Last year, a noob asked about what kind of sports drink he should have, now that he was up to 30 minute sessions. I've been riding long enough to know that I can go 1 1/2 hours with no breakfast, just coffee, or 3 hours with breakfast, but if I go longer than that, or do a big, half hour or longer climb, I need to add some calories.

I still haven't figured out Zwifting, though. Because there's no stopping and no real coasting, the workout sessions tend to be a lot more intense. That, and I'm doing races and structured workouts. AND I'm generally Zwifting in the evening about the time I'm running out of lunch. So I keep a couple gels next to the trainer and sometime have one.

Hard Zwift endurance workouts really break me down; something about that 100% continuous effort. Have never had to eat during one though.

phrantic09 01-03-22 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22360114)
plant based chorizo.

In other words, Sofritas

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22360236)
Hard Zwift endurance workouts really break me down; something about that 100% continuous effort. Have never had to eat during one though.

mental exhaustion

Trsnrtr 01-03-22 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22360098)

Doc, I've asked this before. Why do vegetarians want food that taste like meat?

datlas 01-03-22 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22360286)
Doc, I've asked this before. Why do vegetarians want food that taste like meat?

I actually don't seek out fake meat stuff. I think a lot of nouveaux veg people do, however, so there is demand for these products.

I have never had chorizo before, so am willing to try a meatless version.

Velo Vol 01-03-22 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22360223)
And if I don't take any, I pick them up enroute. Buying a banana around here is like taking candy from a baby.

I just pick mine from the trees along the roads.

Eric F 01-03-22 01:13 PM

Back at work after 10 days off. I'm not a fan.