Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

WhyFi 07-20-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22581391)
I have a similar 'tube preamp/solid state amp' system - which as I think about it is now 35 years old.

It's a good compromise - if you want tube power amps and control/attack, you've gotta spend a goodly chunk on the amps and/or speakers. Tube pre and ss amp gets you a lot of the way there.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22581391)
Cats, though - when my brother and SIL were in their "living in the woods" phase, heating their house with a wood stove using wood he harvested from their 11 acres, he was amazed how close to the stove the cats would sleep. Their fur would get hot to the touch, so much so that he joked about them spontaneously igniting.

My dog was a dumb-dumb, too. When visiting the in-laws, she'd plop right in front of one of those glowing-heat-element-in-a-parabolic-dish space heaters. I don't know how her skin didn't blister.

datlas 07-20-22 01:59 PM

One of my club mates swears by mustard packets for cramps. I am willing to try almost anything.

genejockey 07-20-22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22581403)
It's a good compromise - if you want tube power amps and control/attack, you've gotta spend a goodly chunk on the amps and/or speakers. Tube pre and ss amp gets you a lot of the way there.

A tube amp that would drive the Magneplanar speakers I have would have been a lot more expensive than I could have swung at that time, even though I was single then.

ls01 07-20-22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22581044)
Ride faster, will feel harder :)

reported

Mojo31 07-20-22 02:02 PM

Tube pre with solid state amp, but no cats. Only a dog that thinks she's a cat.

ls01 07-20-22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22581406)
One of my club mates swears by mustard packets for cramps. I am willing to try almost anything.

Probably works due to all the water you consume trying to get the taste out of your mouth.

ls01 07-20-22 02:17 PM

Got stuck @ work yesterday so I missed out on the Tuesday night ride. Did an hour of Zwift instead. Prolly same tonight. I have been chasing a creaking/groan on the Zwifting machine. It comes and goes pretty frequently during a ride. I can alter it by moving my feet around. So I pulled the crankset, serviced the B.B. reinstalled it in preparation for a ride. Walked into the kitchen to get my bottle..... found my noise. The cleats are making the noise on the shoes. I would never have found it if I wouldn't have left the bottle in the kitchen. Now how do I fix it?

genejockey 07-20-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22581426)
Got stuck @ work yesterday so I missed out on the Tuesday night ride. Did an hour of Zwift instead. Prolly same tonight. I have been chasing a creaking/groan on the Zwifting machine. It comes and goes pretty frequently during a ride. I can alter it by moving my feet around. So I pulled the crankset, serviced the B.B. reinstalled it in preparation for a ride. Walked into the kitchen to get my bottle..... found my noise. The cleats are making the noise on the shoes. I would never have found it if I wouldn't have left the bottle in the kitchen. Now how do I fix it?

Unscrew each screw in turn, grease the threads, and torque it down real hard?

I spent a significant chunk of cash swapping the standard pressfit BB on the Canyon for a screw-together one, and the creaking turned out to be the seat post needed more assembly paste.

ls01 07-20-22 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22581432)
Unscrew each screw in turn, grease the threads, and torque it down real hard?

I spent a significant chunk of cash swapping the standard pressfit BB on the Canyon for a screw-together one, and the creaking turned out to be the seat post needed more assembly paste.

yeah, these bottom bracket......sheesh!

Bah Humbug 07-20-22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22581475)
yeah, these bottom bracket......sheesh!

My creaking bottom bracket was because of my pedal. That damn Cervelo with its crappy BBRight can break anything.

DougRNS 07-20-22 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22581274)
Spot is 14 years old. So is our old dog, Quinto. The pups are in the 6-7 year old range, and get along well with Spot. But he and Quinto have never seen eye to eye. There is always tension there.

Kind of like @Velo Vol interacting with...everyone else in the world.

DougRNS 07-20-22 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22581426)

New shoes or better yet, new bike. Naturally.

DougRNS 07-20-22 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22581490)
My creaking bottom bracket was because of my pedal. That damn Cervelo with its crappy BBRight can break anything.

:foo: Do you mean dnam?

MoAlpha 07-20-22 03:57 PM

Anyone, will I be able to ride around Asheville, NC in 34/30? That may get my weak little ass up a little bit of 10%, but not much. I don’t feel like buying and installing a new RD for a weekend.

Bah Humbug 07-20-22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22581570)
:foo: Do you mean dnam?

I think I mean dman.

datlas 07-20-22 05:14 PM

At an outdoor concert. The adult spotted lantern flies are here too.

genejockey 07-20-22 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22581650)
At an outdoor concert. The adult spotted lantern flies are here too.

Didja wear your stompin' shoes?

datlas 07-20-22 05:20 PM

The concert is Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. Country-Rock. Not bad.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a21039bd6.jpeg

datlas 07-20-22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22581656)
Didja wear your stompin' shoes?

Shoes off. Like the sock tan lines?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1f2f69dfd.jpeg

datlas 07-20-22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22581577)
Anyone, will I be able to ride around Asheville, NC in 34/30? That may get my weak little ass up a little bit of 10%, but not much. I don’t feel like buying and installing a new RD for a weekend.

Should be fine. Most of the hills there may be long, but fairly gentle in the 4-6% range. I don’t think I even used my bailout gear of 34-28.

MoAlpha 07-20-22 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22581684)
Should be fine. Most of the hills there may be long, but fairly gentle in the 4-6% range. I don’t think I even used my bailout gear of 34-28.

Thanks. I am going to order an 11-30 anyway. There are even rides near here where it could come in handy.

Any suggestions for rides of a polite length for visiting in-laws?

datlas 07-20-22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22581701)
Thanks. I am going to order an 11-30 anyway. There are even rides near here where it could come in handy.

Any suggestions for rides of a polite length for visiting in-laws?

Take Town Mountain road to the Blue Ridge parkway. Take BRP either direction. If you take it south, have a headlight for the tunnels.

BillyD 07-20-22 06:55 PM

Song of the day week month.

big john 07-20-22 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22581406)

Pickle juice.

big john 07-20-22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22581419)
Probably works due to all the water you consume trying to get the taste out of your mouth.

I love mustard, all kinds. Spicy brown, regular yellow, even the hot Chinese mustard.