Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

seedsbelize2 02-05-22 08:03 AM

I have nothing substantive to add

DougRNS 02-05-22 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22399516)
You're in Sharpsville?

no, I just wanted you to know what you're missing.

DougRNS 02-05-22 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22399477)
I signed up for an anti-social social meetup on Zwift. How bad could it be?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a44d88ebc6.jpg

seedsbelize2 02-05-22 08:08 AM

But wait!
It has come to my attention that in this drawn out COVID recovery mode I now occupy, it becomes difficult to distinguish between 'taking it slowly'' and simple laziness.

seedsbelize2 02-05-22 08:14 AM

It is quite liberating to at least tell myself I have nothing more to fear, personally, from this pandemic. Come Monday I will stroll confidently into shops in the downtown business district of Merida, that I have been avoiding for the most part for the past two years.

WhyFi 02-05-22 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22399208)
Im struggling to stay in a deficit lately, my goal is 1800 a day. I have a pretty sluggish metabolism. Been doing one cheat day per week which helps.

Oof - 1800 per day would have me cranky as all get-out. Since I wear a tracker, I shoot for a 750cal deficit per day. As long as I get in at least a light fake ride, that puts my budget in the 2200 region.

big john 02-05-22 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22399454)
My brother is a troll on MAGA and conspiracy fora. Very unhealthy and destructive to his sanity and the polity’s, IMO. LSS is actually to the left of me on some issues, but much less emotionally affected and, unlike certain less decent people, does not find rage rewarding. She long ago raised a prohibition against ranting.

My cousin does that stuff on FB. I have avoided political stuff since the last election but made the mistake of challenging him this past week. The rage and hatred spewing from that man just makes me sad. He seems to be an extreme case, can't back up anything he says and won't acknowledge any facts presented to him.

After our exchange I was left with a feeling of dread. We were close at one time.

phrantic09 02-05-22 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22399551)
Oof - 1800 per day would have me cranky as all get-out. Since I wear a tracker, I shoot for a 750cal deficit per day. As long as I get in at least a light fake ride, that puts my budget in the 2200 region.

I have hypothyroidism which makes it much harder. I’m fairly certain my synthetic hormone does is too low, but since my TSH is in the extremely wide normal range, my doctor won’t up my dose.

I’m pretty much starving all of the time

phrantic09 02-05-22 09:08 AM

Current road status is pretty much the same as below

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...971482409.jpeg

big john 02-05-22 09:30 AM

Wordle 231 4/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 02-05-22 09:32 AM

Zwift ride was fine. There was some lively chatter on Discord and enough riders for me to find a couple small groups that were at/near my desired pace. I lasted 90 minutes which is not too bad for fake miles.

Big event is this evening. Daughter #1 senior recital, they are limiting in-person audience to 15. The rest have to watch the livestream. If anyone is bored at 6PM EST tonight, here is the event link, the page has links to the program and the livestream. https://www.wcupa.edu/music/eventsCa...startYear=2022

big john 02-05-22 09:42 AM

Friend says he's riding today, first time in over 3 weeks. He finally called me last night. I was worried about him because I know he's suffered with depression before, as a lot of us have, but I don't know how to help. All I can do is try and get him out on the bike so I guess we'll see if he feels like talking. Another friend advised me to not give up on him but if he won't answer calls or e-mails it's tough. I thought about dropping by his house last week but if he wants to be alone that might not be good. Hoping he shows up today and spills it.

LAJ 02-05-22 10:05 AM

Wordle 231 4/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 02-05-22 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22399454)
My brother is a troll on MAGA and conspiracy fora. Very unhealthy and destructive to his sanity and the polity’s, IMO. LSS is actually to the left of me on some issues, but much less emotionally affected and, unlike certain less decent people, does not find rage rewarding. She long ago raised a prohibition against ranting.

I enjoyed debating/discussing with people whose POV is different, as long as we're working from the same basic set of facts. Without that, it's just vitriol.

genejockey 02-05-22 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22399456)
Same- lurk, don’t tweet

I've spent years lurking on Twitter without signing up. I figure it kept me from engaging and wasting time, as a friend put it, "Wrassling Pigs" - you just get filthy and the pig enjoys it.

Then Twitter started making it harder and harder to simply follow Twitter without signing up, so I finally signed up last week, but I still don't engage.

genejockey 02-05-22 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22399527)
But wait!
It has come to my attention that in this drawn out COVID recovery mode I now occupy, it becomes difficult to distinguish between 'taking it slowly'' and simple laziness.

Ah, but now you have an excuse!

genejockey 02-05-22 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22399609)
Friend says he's riding today, first time in over 3 weeks. He finally called me last night. I was worried about him because I know he's suffered with depression before, as a lot of us have, but I don't know how to help. All I can do is try and get him out on the bike so I guess we'll see if he feels like talking. Another friend advised me to not give up on him but if he won't answer calls or e-mails it's tough. I thought about dropping by his house last week but if he wants to be alone that might not be good. Hoping he shows up today and spills it.

It's tough to know what to do for people who are depressed, especially if it's organic rather than situational. Being there for them and not giving up on them are what they need, so good on you for that. Too many people think they know what the depressed person should do - "You just need to try harder!" is the worst, because when it doesn't work you feel even worse.

Eric F 02-05-22 11:12 AM

Wordle 231 3/6

🟨⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟨🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 02-05-22 11:23 AM

I did the 8th stage of TdZ last night. I did the shorter ride, since I have the monthly SF Peninsula C&V ride today. New York. I really don't like the New York world on Zwift. It's hard to get a rhythm, because of the frequent, seemingly gratuitous gradient changes. BUT I managed, somehow. I felt pretty good about it, because I started out by drifting backwards through the pack till I was about 170th out of 322, but then started passing people as they blew up, and ended up about 120th. Sure, I know, it's not a race. But it is competitive. And it's kind of fun, with a big, heavy avatar, pushing past skinnier ones on the climbs.

LesterOfPuppets 02-05-22 11:42 AM

Hank Aaron's birthday today :bday:

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...MQ&oe=62045904

DougRNS 02-05-22 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22399601)
Zwift ride was fine. There was some lively chatter on Discord and enough riders for me to find a couple small groups that were at/near my desired pace. I lasted 90 minutes which is not too bad for fake miles.

Big event is this evening. Daughter #1 senior recital, they are limiting in-person audience to 15. The rest have to watch the livestream. If anyone is bored at 6PM EST tonight, here is the event link, the page has links to the program and the livestream. https://www.wcupa.edu/music/eventsCa...startYear=2022

kudos on lasting 90 min. I've heard commercials about men lasting 90 minutes but that might be something else.

datlas 02-05-22 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22399760)
kudos on lasting 90 min. I've heard commercials about men lasting 90 minutes but that might be something else.

Like needing medical attention if you last 4 hours? :innocent:

Velo Vol 02-05-22 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22399523)
no, I just wanted you to know what you're missing.

What else do I miss besides the freezing temperature?

DougRNS 02-05-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22399780)
What else do I miss besides the freezing temperature?

warm memories of your yute.

datlas 02-05-22 12:58 PM

So I got my Garmin 530. Recall the main reason I got it is the crappy battery life on the 130. All I want from a computer is a battery that won’t crap out in 3 hours, will give me turn by turn directions from a preloaded route, and display info from my Varia RTL 510.

For unknown reasons the 530 will not pair with (or recognize) the varia. When I have it search all sensors, it only sees my Kickr Snap which is far away in the basement. It does not see the varia which is right next to it. Advice??