Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Velomobile for commuting? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1228802)

seibaatgung 04-21-21 08:56 PM

Velomobile for commuting?

What would be a good velomobile for commuting? I like the upright design of the DryCycle - it makes it easier for cars to spot you - but the £15,000 price tag makes me balk.

billridesbikes 04-21-21 10:06 PM

No, just get a regular commuting bike with lights, fenders, and a rain cape. Cars don't give a crap what you're cycling, a velomobile is giving them more to run into.

Edit: Also has 4 wheels. This wouldn't be street legal in the US if that's where you're located.

ropetwitch 04-22-21 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by billridesbikes (Post 22025602)
No, just get a regular commuting bike with lights, fenders, and a rain cape. Cars don't give a crap what you're cycling, a velomobile is giving them more to run into.

Edit: Also has 4 wheels. This wouldn't be street legal in the US if that's where you're located.

I agree with this. In addition, a velomobile is heavier than a bicycle, which means that it takes more effort to accelerate and to climb hills.

wphamilton 04-22-21 06:36 AM

I'd do it. I built my own for an upright diamond frame bike, and commuted with different versions of it for several years.

Comfortable in any conditions, and faster than my regular bikes. The downside is it's more challenging to control, which I imagine pertains to traditional velos as well.

here's one version
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f27395502e.jpg

BobbyG 04-22-21 07:24 AM

I'm more visible than the DryCycle.

Rain Cape for Dryness.

If you want a recumbent for 'comfort' there are plenty of tall recumbents, with two and three wheel designs. All can be made more visible, all can be ridden with rain protection.

skier 04-22-21 09:58 AM

What is your commute like? How far? How hilly?

How much do you want to carry?

What’s the weather like where you are? How wet/rainy? Are you expecting to ride in the snow?

Most velomobiles will work for commuting, but we need a bit more info to recommend the best one for you.

My Alleweder is nearing completion. Can’t wait to get it on the road.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...49a8ff019.jpeg

stevel610 04-22-21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by skier (Post 22026248)

What’s the weather like where you are? How wet/rainy? Are you expecting to ride in the snow?

Most velomobiles will work for commuting, but we need a bit more info to recommend the best one for you.

Always thought if I got a hpv I would get it that color.

Darth Lefty 04-22-21 06:49 PM

There's a forum regular with one but I'm blanking on his user name.

I commuted on a tadpole trike for a few months after a surgery and found the cycling part to be just about like normal. The only unusual problem was where to park and lock it. The ride quality was poor, I can see why they make suspension models.

Darth Lefty 04-22-21 06:55 PM

Notso_fastLane is the rider (driver?) I mentioned

wphamilton 04-23-21 01:13 PM

Nice. Is that a hub motor on the rear wheel?

skier 04-23-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by wphamilton (Post 22028224)
Nice. Is that a hub motor on the rear wheel?

that’s the front wheel hanging there. I’m not installing an e-assist. I think what you’re referring to is the 90mm drum brakes.

seibaatgung 04-24-21 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by billridesbikes (Post 22025602)

Yes, in the US. Didn't know about the 4 wheel rule, only about the peddle assist limit. A complete enclosure like the drycycle also provides some kind of protection against road rash

seibaatgung 04-24-21 06:19 AM

8 miles, slight incline but it's the midwest. nothing a road bike can't conquer

carry nothing but myself

All kinds of weather here in the midwest. might snow but that usually gets cleared pretty quickly

Did you build that yourself/

Darth Lefty 04-24-21 02:20 PM

The 4 wheels might not be road legal but I'm sure any cop would classify it as "harmless old iconoclast, ignore" ...unless it was a really slow day. Bike advocacy over here right now is all in knots about the e-bike renaissance/menace, and all the homeless have bikes and trailers, so that's what enforcement is going to spend attention on, if there is enforcement at all

seibaatgung 04-24-21 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 22029572)
The 4 wheels might not be road legal but I'm sure any cop would classify it as "harmless old iconoclast, ignore" ...unless it was a really slow day. Bike advocacy over here right now is all in knots about the e-bike renaissance/menace, and all the homeless have bikes and trailers, so that's what enforcement is going to spend attention on, if there is enforcement at all

I'm 28 and look 22.

Darth Lefty 04-24-21 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22030216)
I'm 28 and look 22.

In a velomobile, you won't

metro2005 05-06-21 06:13 AM

It all depends on your use case. A quest velomobile is fast, a mango slightly more manouverable , an orca same as the mango but can be had with e-assist and so on.

mstateglfr 05-11-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22029104)

carry nothing but myself

All kinds of weather here in the midwest. might snow but that usually gets cleared pretty quickly

8 miles with a slight incline and carrying nothing?
$15000 for a goofy mobile thing or just ride a bike.
Tough one***

seibaatgung 05-11-21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22055170)
8 miles with a slight incline and carrying nothing?
$15000 for a goofy mobile thing or just ride a bike.
Tough one***

consumer behavior is irrational. I want a velomobile. A real diamond ring doesn't look all that different from a fake one but people will shell out for one anyways.

billridesbikes 05-14-21 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22055205)
consumer behavior is irrational. I want a velomobile. A real diamond ring doesn't look all that different from a fake one but people will shell out for one anyways.

Well, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Check out this GCN video from a couple days ago:

seibaatgung 05-18-21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by billridesbikes (Post 22059956)
Well, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Check out this GCN video from a couple days ago:
https://youtu.be/9B0eXmbrBIo

They seemed to enjoy it ... though that doesn't justify the price point. One point they didn't mention is that since the wheels are at the end of the axle and it only weighs 264 pounds, it is much easier to put in a new tube or new tire, especially on the road.
I wonder what people think about the Drycycle compared to the Podride https://www.mypodride.com/faqs which should be much more easily available in the US.

skier 05-24-21 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by seibaatgung (Post 22029104)

carry nothing but myself

That’s a pretty light use case. Pretty much any velo would work for you. If you want fast, try the Apha 7. If you want stable, try a Quattrovelo. Otherwise pick the one you like the looks of that fits you well.

Milan, DF, Mango, Quest, etc. would all work for you. I’d recommend a 2nd hand quest or mango if you want to save money. Those pop up occasionally for $5k—$7k and are good machines that will last.

Ultimer 06-07-21 03:57 AM

As always, everything comes down to money ...

GhostRider62 06-07-21 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ultimer (Post 22091345)
As always, everything comes down to money ...

Actually, it all eventually comes down to time.

The waitlist for a velomobile can be years.

cat0020 06-14-21 10:21 AM

If you live in a cold climate, lots of rain or snow, maybe a velomobile would be ok.

I see the inside of velomobile getting hot after few minutes of pedaling, not likely to do well in traffic.

Velomobile takes up lots of space, while being used and not being used, city dwellers with stairs to climb need not apply.

Getting a flat tire or mechanical might be complicated roadside, transporting a velomobile for service or repair can't be easy.