Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Aethos options and questions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1230368)

bigevil 05-12-21 07:27 PM

Aethos options and questions

ok ok bear with me my friends. any help in advance is epic and appreciated!

Worked hard AF this year so for my bday treating myself to a great climbing/fun road bike.
As I have a Checkpoint for gravel/endurance rides I'm loving the idea of something light/nimble and as I don't race I've landed on the Aethos.

After test riding it today at Specialized I was blown away. I almost bought it on the spot but they only had the $13k S-works one in stock and I thought better in the moment and luckily walked out unharmed.

I really love the expert level because of force etap and or ultegra di2 but I hate (like hate) the colors. That puts me in a position of a few options

1-buy the comp model and upgrade the gruppo ad other parts as I go [the rival isn't bad at all, but at nearly 18lbs its only 1lb lighter than my checkpoint]
2-buy the framset for $3.3k and build up my own pretty pimped out version [thinking force etap or ultegra di2, maybe even throwing my current Aeolus pro 37 wheels on it to start and save $ on the build]
3-something else I'm not thinking of that you'll all I'm sure think of.

Things important to me are lightweight, fun, power meter, great gear range for climbing and group rides. Not a racer.
things not important are electronic shifting(I'm down to have it, just not a deal breaker) and def don't need super aero everything.

lastly, is it worth alllllll that extra $$ just for s-works carbon to save 200grams?

Iride01 05-13-21 08:42 AM

Will your chincieness really get you a better bike? Seems like you wouldn't come much under their prices unless skimp on the quality somewhere. Less trouble to just buy and ride.

I suppose though you'll get exactly the stuff you want.

Don't forget to add up the costs of everything. You have a spare set of carbon handle bars laying around.... carbon stem? carbon seat post? Really great carbon wheels? Power meter?

sjammer 05-13-21 09:47 AM

I ride and Aethos Expert (Di2) and I searched out the burgundy color since I was not a fan of the light blue, but it the blue was the only color avail I would have got it. I can tell you I like the expert as it is. If you like the group set on the expert level I would just go with that, because I would not want purchase another group set for a new bike (plus availability on the parts sucks right now). You can go down a rabbit hole if you start looking carbon upgrades to save weight. I think the expert is still lighter that most bikes.

I personally do not think the extra $7K is worth spending for the s-works model unless that is what you really want and you have means to do so. Definitely not worth going it to debt to have it.

Just my opinion.

Fox Farm 05-13-21 09:53 AM

If a 13 or 14 pound bike is your objective, you could probably find other options. I think that you get charged a premium for the S name. How else do they sponsor those teams and have the S only stores? But yes, the reviews that I have read about the bike is that it is pretty good. Wheels... some light wheels will make that bike or any other one fly up hills. Something in the 1300 gram range. But, all of this said, when you start to get into light frames, and builds, you pay an awful lot for saving one pound, really. Perhaps work on your own body mass and save a few thousand.

guadzilla 05-13-21 12:13 PM

I bought a Venge Pro and upgraded it to S-Works spec because I didnt like the frame color (admittedly, this decision was made easier by the fact that in this one case, the S-Works and Pro Venge frame are identical).

If you are able to get all the parts, buy the frameset and build it up. Otherwise, there is some benefit to buying the Comp and then swapping out over time - it also lets you spread out the build cost over time, if that matters. You can always sell the parts that you take off, or put them on a n+1.

msu2001la 05-13-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigevil (Post 22057029)
I really love the expert level because of force etap and or ultegra di2 but I hate (like hate) the colors.

Why not just buy this bike and have it custom painted? It's probably cheaper than you think.

Buying a frameset and doing your own custom build would be fun, but given current availability of parts this might be a nightmare, and would likely end up costing a lot more. My next preferred option would be to buy the comp version, and a new di2/etap groupset and just sell off the Rivals stuff. This would at least ensure you've got the bar, stem, post, saddle, etc.

MidTNBrad 05-13-21 12:32 PM

My $0.02:

If this is a pat-myself-on-the-back type reward for yourself (good for you, BTW), I'll suggest getting the frame and building it up with your specs. It may be a little more in the long run but you get what you want. Handlebar width, crank length, stem, saddle, wheels, power meter, etc. are all things you get to decide rather than pulling it off the rack.

PeteHski 05-13-21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigevil (Post 22057029)

lastly, is it worth alllllll that extra $$ just for s-works carbon to save 200grams?

Of course not!

The Aethos looks like a great bike and the Expert build seems like the sweet spot to me. The only thing that really bugs me is the wheel set not being tubeless compatible.

msu2001la 05-13-21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22057980)
Of course not!

The Aethos looks like a great bike and the Expert build seems like the sweet spot to me. The only thing that really bugs me is the wheel set not being tubeless compatible.

Specialized website is showing the Expert model with DT Swiss R470 alloy wheels, which are tubeless ready.

PeteHski 05-13-21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22058014)
Specialized website is showing the Expert model with DT Swiss R470 alloy wheels, which are tubeless ready.

Ah yes you are correct! I was thinking of the Pro model with the Roval Alpinist wheels. £5.5k for the Expert model with alloy wheels seems very expensive to me. Still a very nice bike though. One I would like to demo.

bigevil 05-17-21 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22057961)
Buying a frameset and doing your own custom build would be fun, but given current availability of parts this might be a nightmare, and would likely end up costing a lot more. My next preferred option would be to buy the comp version, and a new di2/etap groupset and just sell off the Rivals stuff. This would at least ensure you've got the bar, stem, post, saddle, etc.

fwiw this is my exact thinking atm. grab the comp, and when new di2 launches upgrade everything to that. in the meantime upgrade the stem, saddle, bars, to s-works spec (or some dope enve/zipp stuff), add a power meter, and use my current wheels (Aeolus Pro 37) which would fly over the comp ones. (long as no one thinks those are crap wheels for the aethos)

seems better then building from scratch but only bummer is the comp has a teal fork and not white but then again that's just me being picky. maybe could swap the fork down the line....

I do think if spending $5k, scratch that, even $3k on a bike and higher you should love the color.

thank dear lord for my wallet that the S-works colors really suck on the aethos!

Hiro11 05-18-21 10:12 AM

The S-Works is $13K. I say this as someone who owns a bike that cost that much when new: to me that's stupid money for an off the peg, mass produced bike. At that price, the bike had better be exactly what you want, perfectly made and 100% flawless in how it rides. Even if the S-Works is all of that, then the 2022 comes out and your bike is instantly dated. Not for me. If I was looking to spend that type of cash on a bike, I'd be giving Firefly/Moots/Seven/Mosaic/Stoemper a call to see what their lead times were.

PeteHski 05-18-21 10:14 AM

Since you are clearly not in love with the Aethos colours and consider this an important parameter (I do too as it happens), then maybe you should consider other lightweight road bikes in colours that you do really like? While the Aethos looks like a really nice bike, apart from being deliberately anti-aero, it doesn't stand out that much next to other lightweight road bikes in the same price range. Maybe a couple of hundred grams lighter? Even its sibling Tarmac has exactly the same geometry. Just putting that out there!

PeteHski 05-18-21 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 22065015)
I'd be giving Firefly/Moots/Seven/Mosaic/Stoemper a call to see what their lead times were.

What models from these builders would you say compare directly against an S-Works Aethos? I'm thinking they are all going to be quite different bikes with quite different pros and cons. Take Moots for example. Lovely as they are, they don't make anything remotely like the Aethos.

greysquirrel 05-18-21 11:40 AM

For carbon fiber, how about:

https://argonautcycles.com/the-rm3/

guadzilla 05-18-21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 22065015)
The S-Works is $13K. I say this as someone who owns a bike that cost that much when new: to me that's stupid money for an off the peg, mass produced bike. At that price, the bike had better be exactly what you want, perfectly made and 100% flawless in how it rides. Even if the S-Works is all of that, then the 2022 comes out and your bike is instantly dated. Not for me. If I was looking to spend that type of cash on a bike, I'd be giving Firefly/Moots/Seven/Mosaic/Stoemper a call to see what their lead times were.

So basically, the fact that Firefly/Moots/etc all continue making the same bike is a plus, because it doesnt get outdated? Not sure i find that a compelling argument, Now, you can talk about having a mass produced bike vs a custom bike = sure, if that is something you care about, then yes, it is a big factor. For me, it isnt but i know a lot of people like having stuff that isnt so common. Fair play.

And there is also the matter that high end carbon frames do ride differently.

bigevil 05-18-21 10:48 PM

Pending stock avail I’m gonna grab the frameset and build it up from there. I love this damn bike

it comes out quite close after all the upgrades I wanted to make (~$1k) and I’ll likely get her to be $6k/16lbs

in a year I’ll throw the new di2, maybe lighter wheels but honestly maybe not !

more important than all of that is that the damn thing makes me feel like a kid. I just want to hop on it and ride all day long. I left the store today (literally just went back to test ride again) smiling ear to ear

Hiro11 05-19-21 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by guadzilla (Post 22066205)
So basically, the fact that Firefly/Moots/etc all continue making the same bike is a plus, because it doesnt get outdated? Not sure i find that a compelling argument, Now, you can talk about having a mass produced bike vs a custom bike = sure, if that is something you care about, then yes, it is a big factor. For me, it isnt but i know a lot of people like having stuff that isnt so common. Fair play.

Yes, differing opinions are allowed.

And there is also the matter that high end carbon frames do ride differently.
I don't believe that ride quality is intrinsic to frame material, it's all down to how the frame was designed.

Hiro11 05-19-21 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22065027)
What models from these builders would you say compare directly against an S-Works Aethos? I'm thinking they are all going to be quite different bikes with quite different pros and cons. Take Moots for example. Lovely as they are, they don't make anything remotely like the Aethos.

I get your point, but if you very specifically want an Aethos, you can get one for a far lower price than the SWorks that will ride extremely similarly to the SWorks version (example: the Pro is $7.800, has a frame weight within 100g of the SWorks, has the same rims, has ETap, has a very similar cockpit etc). At 13K, the SWorks is firmly in the territory of fetish properties: it's something you buy because you want the SWorks, not because of any vastly different ride characteristic. It becomes a matter of personal preference, not quantitative logic as even the OP of this thread admits. For me, my personal preference would be to get a full custom Firefly at this price. Such a bike just suits me better and would be something I'd be happy to ride for years. Just my opinion.

People seem very offended that I have a different opinion than them.

eduskator 05-19-21 07:13 AM

If you don't like the color, do not buy. You will hate staring at the top tube head down trying to catch your breathe on long climbs. Been there, done that!

Is S-WORKS worth the extra $ to save 200g? No one can answer this except you. For most of us out there, no it's not worth it.

Sounds like you would benefit from a custom bike - why not buy a frameset and build it to your liking? After all, you'll own the bike for many years to come - better like it!

Finally, there are many other options out there for a lightweight climbing beast, have you considered them? Or perhaps you are sold to Specialized (which is fine!).

guadzilla 05-19-21 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 22066440)
I get your point, but if you very specifically want an Aethos, you can get one for a far lower price than the SWorks that will ride extremely similarly to the SWorks version (example: the Pro is $7.800, has a frame weight within 100g of the SWorks, has the same rims, has ETap, has a very similar cockpit etc). At 13K, the SWorks is firmly in the territory of fetish properties: it's something you buy because you want the SWorks, not because of any vastly different ride characteristic. It becomes a matter of personal preference, not quantitative logic as even the OP of this thread admits. For me, my personal preference would be to get a full custom Firefly at this price. Such a bike just suits me better and would be something I'd be happy to ride for years. Just my opinion.

No one has an issue with you having a different opinion. As a suggestion, you might want to think about how you express it, however. One set of preferences for a bike is "fetish properties" while your preference isnt?

Pretty much every high end bike purchase is a matter of personal preference, and not quantitative logic (if anything, there is a greater argument that a company like Spesh, with massive R&D expenses, is likely to build a better bike than a guy making bikes in his workshop. How much R&D do you think Firefly is doing in materials, aero, getting feedback from pro riders on bike handling/characteristics, etc?). So your opinion is just as likely to come across as "fetish property" to someone else.

For the record, I have no issues with your preferences- i have a different set of preferences, but i dont think yours are unreasonable. Hopefully, you have the mental flexibility to understand why others may have a different opinion.

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 22066428)
I don't believe that ride quality is intrinsic to frame material, it's all down to how the frame was designed.

Tube shaping and carbon lay-up both play a role in ride quality. Design and construction/materials used.

PeteHski 05-19-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 22066440)

I only mentioned the S-works version because it would be a similar price point to the kind of exotic custom build you recommended. For sure if I were buying an Aethos, I would get the Pro level build and save a load of money for very little compromise. But if you go down the high end boutique route it's always going to be much more expensive. I can see the attraction if it suits your needs, but someone looking at an Aethos is extremely unlikely to be considering a Ti frame weighing twice as much! They are a chalk and cheese comparison rather than like-for-like alternatives.

bigevil 06-01-21 12:00 PM

well, it took a bunch of hunting/sourcing and diligence but she comes tomorrow!

came out to $8800 which is basically the same price as the pro w/ taxes would have been at the specialized store (but obviously which many upgrades, pedals, cages etc)

Cannot freaking WAIT!! Specialized Aethos 10r Carbon / Flake frameset

Sram Force Etap gruppo [46/33, and 10-33]

Quarq AXS Power Meter

Hunt 35 Carbon Aero Wheels

Dura Ace Pedals

S Works Stem/Bar w/ Supakaz tape

S Works Power Mirror Saddle

Enve Carbon Cages

Schwalbe Pro One 28mm

we'll see what she weighs when it's all assembled. hoping to get 15lbs or less.....

2bridges1bike 06-10-21 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bigevil (Post 22083816)
well, it took a bunch of hunting/sourcing and diligence but she comes tomorrow!

came out to $8800 which is basically the same price as the pro w/ taxes would have been at the specialized store (but obviously which many upgrades, pedals, cages etc)

Cannot freaking WAIT!! Specialized Aethos 10r Carbon / Flake frameset

Sram Force Etap gruppo [46/33, and 10-33]

Quarq AXS Power Meter

Hunt 35 Carbon Aero Wheels

Dura Ace Pedals

S Works Stem/Bar w/ Supakaz tape

S Works Power Mirror Saddle

Enve Carbon Cages

Schwalbe Pro One 28mm

we'll see what she weighs when it's all assembled. hoping to get 15lbs or less.....

if you do need to shed some more weight, the cheapest way would probably swap the Force chain crankset for the Red, will save you about 200 grams for a bit more $$$

bigevil 06-15-21 05:51 PM

here she is!!
came out to bit over 16 lbs (imagining had i gone red I might have gotten in under 16 but to start this is great!)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...39a858f0a.jpeg