Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cycling fashion faux pas? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256003)

epnnf 07-30-22 03:57 PM

Cycling fashion faux pas?

While riding on a local MUP, saw a guy wearing a blue cotton T, then bibs over them. That is, he was wearing black bibs, but with a T shirt under them. I dont wear bibs, but always thought you wear bibs, then jersey/shirt over them. He seemed to be a novice rider.

Troul 07-30-22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by epnnf (Post 22593128)
While riding on a local MUP, saw a guy wearing a blue cotton T, then bibs over them. That is, he was wearing black bibs, but with a T shirt under them. I dont wear bibs, but always thought you wear bibs, then jersey/shirt over them. He seemed to be a novice rider.

It might just be how they feel most comfortable. There are a lot of folks with different strokes in which they execute things.

shelbyfv 07-30-22 04:05 PM

At least he had enough sense to wear a shirt.:twitchy:

sovende 07-30-22 04:32 PM

The first picture in my mind was Oshgosh bib overalls LOL, in which case, a cotton t-shirt (generally white) wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for non-cyclists in my area. Further along in the post I came back to BF reality. I don’t generally wear bibs (I have one pair) but yes I believe a jersey goes over them. That way, if you’re taking a break and some attractive cyclists happen by you don’t have to struggle to get the jersey off :D

rsbob 07-30-22 04:37 PM

You are right. A guy wearing bibs should not be on a MUP. Total faux pas.

wolfchild 07-30-22 05:33 PM

Why do you even care about how other cyclists choose to dress ?.

mackgoo 07-30-22 05:45 PM

I'm thinking he really wasn't wearing a shirt. That was the wicking under layer and would go on 1st.

datlas 07-30-22 05:54 PM

Not how it’s typically done, but it’s his choice.

gringomojado 07-30-22 06:02 PM

At least he was not wearing a onesie

gm

gringomojado 07-30-22 06:03 PM

Ok if Tee Shirt is cotton

gm

WhyFi 07-30-22 06:16 PM

Base layer? They get worn under the bib straps, but they're typically not going to be cotton (how did you know the material, anyway?) and they're going to be form-fitting.

CAT7RDR 07-30-22 06:18 PM

Dairy farmer that is use to wearing his Oshkosh suspenders over his flannel.

koala logs 07-30-22 06:35 PM

Probably a Michael Jackson fan who forgot to wash his undies.

VegasJen 07-30-22 11:41 PM

WTH is a "bib" anyway?

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22593219)
Why do you even care about how other cyclists choose to dress ?.

Aside from safety gear, or lack thereof, ^^^ this right here.

urbanknight 07-31-22 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by VegasJen (Post 22593451)
WTH is a "bib" anyway?

Cycling shorts with shoulder straps. Excellent for those of us who have a gut that would roll the waist down on a pair of regular cycling shorts.

koala logs 07-31-22 03:44 AM

It kinda looks cool in gold and if you cross the straps and wear a matching gold undie over your pants.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6fb51219c.gif

WhyFi 07-31-22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 22593460)
Cycling shorts with shoulder straps. Excellent for those of us who have a gut that would roll the waist down on a pair of regular cycling shorts.

Or just about anybody that wants them to stay in place, during long and/or strenuous rides, without undue constriction around the waist.

Oh, and to avoid plumber's crack.

indyfabz 07-31-22 07:50 AM

What the OP saw was not even close to a sleeveless jersey paired with arm warmers.

VegasJen 07-31-22 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 22593460)

Thanks for that. The only bib I'm used to is the number bib I pin to my shirt for running/triathlon events.

WhyFi 07-31-22 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22593270)
Probably a Michael Jackson fan who forgot to wash his undies.

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22593488)
It kinda looks cool in gold and if you cross the straps and wear a matching gold undie over your pants.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6fb51219c.gif

You have *no* idea of what we're talking about here, do ya?

rydabent 07-31-22 09:42 AM

Why do you care???

indyfabz 07-31-22 11:28 AM

How many socks was he wearing?

urbanknight 07-31-22 06:02 PM

It should be mentioned that bib shorts are often advertised with the model wearing them over a base layer (that looks like a shirt), so it's understandable that someone might think it's appropriate (for either form or function) to do so while riding.

But you haven't truly lived unless you have tried to tell a female cyclist that she shouldn't wear underwear under her shorts.

rsbob 07-31-22 06:57 PM

Yup, during the winter months, I do tuck the base layer under the bib waste and straps to provide maximum warmth with a warm long sleeve jersey over the top. Garnish with a jacket or vest (called a gilet for the more hardcore).

VegasJen 07-31-22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 22594127)
It should be mentioned that bib shorts are often advertised with the model wearing them over a base layer (that looks like a shirt), so it's understandable that someone might think it's appropriate (for either form or function) to do so while riding.

But you haven't truly lived unless you have tried to tell a female cyclist that she shouldn't wear underwear under her shorts.

Wait, what?

indyfabz 08-01-22 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22594179)
Yup, during the winter months, I do tuck the base layer under the bib waste and straps to provide maximum warmth with a warm long sleeve jersey over the top. Garnish with a jacket or vest (called a gilet for the more hardcore).

That’s how the layer is meant to be worn. Rapha actually sells a base layer with seams positioned so they aren’t under the bib straps. Nice product.

I tour in bibs and have done a good number of trips in places where it can be cold when I hit the road and then warm up relatively quickly. Nice to have a base layer. I wear full zip jerseys, so removing the base layer is easy to remove.

urbanknight 08-01-22 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by VegasJen (Post 22594288)
Wait, what?

:lol: I've already said too much.

genejockey 08-01-22 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22593788)
How many socks was he wearing?

Two. But both were on the same foot.

surak 08-01-22 12:09 PM

A shirt under bibs is nothing, I see that look semi-regularly.

Once was riding on the MUP where an older dude was riding with bib straps over his oversized long sleeve jersey, partially stuffed down the back side. It didn't occur to him that riding with inaccessible rear jersey pockets would be an invalid configuration. My best guess was that he wanted to show off Assos' silly graphics that they put on their bib straps.

Herzlos 08-01-22 02:24 PM

It's a lot easier to go to the bathroom with the bib on top - you don't need to take the shirt off first!