Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 01-19-16 08:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=499344http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=499342http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=499343I did pick up 3 1953 NOS hub kits on the weekend.
I paid $125.00 CDN for the lot. Not sure what I'll do with them but
the 3/4 speed triggers are in perfect shape.

3speedslow 01-19-16 08:28 PM

^^ SA gold there! Are the shells aluminum?

gster 01-19-16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18471943)
^^ SA gold there! Are the shells aluminum?

No, I'm sure they're steel

BigChief 01-19-16 09:41 PM

yup, you're right. Two Sprite versions in 1969. So it does look like a derailleur version converted to an IG 3 speed. Love your Sprite. Burgundy is my favorite Raleigh color.
Raleigh 1969 Catalogue from RetroRaleighs page 03

bmthom.gis 01-21-16 08:03 AM

Thanks to [MENTION=152773]noglider[/MENTION] and his advice that I only stripped my axle nut and not my axle, I have my Sports back up and running after 2 weeks of being down! It's back in the storage room at the office now waiting for whatever adventure I want to go on. I did not ride it the 12 miles into work this time, though. I bought an extra nut so next time I don't have to wait for shipping.

gster 01-21-16 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis (Post 18475047)
Thanks to @noglider and his advice that I only stripped my axle nut and not my axle, I have my Sports back up and running after 2 weeks of being down! It's back in the storage room at the office now waiting for whatever adventure I want to go on. I did not ride it the 12 miles into work this time, though. I bought an extra nut so next time I don't have to wait for shipping.

You've got to give credit to the British Designers of these things. Built to last with periodic maintenance. Those axle nuts are designed to "fail" before the axle strips.

bmthom.gis 01-21-16 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18475302)
You've got to give credit to the British Designers of these things. Built to last with periodic maintenance. Those axle nuts are designed to "fail" before the axle strips.

There were even parts of the threading from the nut on the axle when I took the old one off.

noglider 01-21-16 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18475302)

It looks shoddy until you see the wisdom in it. It's actually economical, particularly if you know how it's supposed to work and to keep spares nearby, either in your own private stash or in a nearby bike shop.

gster 01-21-16 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=499602Here's a real mess...
1950's Norman 3 speed, converted (poorly) to jack ass fixie.
Could be restored but @ $150, not worth it.
Vintage Fixie Custom Built Small Bicycle! Sweet Ride! 1950s!! | road | Guelph | Kijiji

bmthom.gis 01-21-16 12:38 PM

I feel like my old bike shop would have had the supplies (it had been open since the 70s or 80s, after all!) Just before I started becoming a cyclist, the owner sold his shop to a group buying up shops in the south east, BikeStreet USA. The old owner still got to manage the shop, and they also bought another shop a few miles away. Long story short, the buyers were venture capitalist bro types and bankrupted the company and hid the expenses throwing huge yacht parties in Florida, the company was sold to I think it was the people who own HH Gregg, and they tried to keep it afloat, but it didn't work out. Our shop closed, all inventory was transferred to the other shop in town, and I got to pick through a bunch of stuff after the people who worked over there picked a lot of the good stuff. We now have a new shop, but they don't have any of the old stock stuff hanging out, and of the other shops in the area, I know one of them won't work on old bikes, another I have a wishy washy opinion of and any others are just too far away

noglider 01-21-16 01:22 PM

That's sad, [MENTION=384662]bmthom.gis[/MENTION]. I wonder if it makes sense for the owner of the new shop to buy a few job lots of old stock. I see them on ebay sometimes.

bmthom.gis 01-21-16 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18475921)
That's sad, @bmthom.gis. I wonder if it makes sense for the owner of the new shop to buy a few job lots of old stock. I see them on ebay sometimes.

I don't think he is interested. He lives like an hour and a half away and has another store or two. He would rather just sell new stuff and his attitude is one where he doesn't deal with the less expensive distributors. The store manager is awesome and a friend of mine, but she often forgets to order parts for me unless I remind her half a dozen times :lol: - I've taken to just buying anything that would need to be ordered myself and only getting stuff the shop actually stocks. Beyond that, I hear rumors that another of the owners who sold out to BikeStreet is looking to buy this shop and run it the way he wants to...and while he has his fans, most of my friends who know him do not like him. His old shop was mostly only high end road and mountain bikes. It will be interesting to see if he can adapt to the market where the current location is, which is mostly people looking to spend <$500.

noglider 01-21-16 04:16 PM

They have the prerogative to run their businesses as they see fit. With inexpensive stuff, there is a point of diminishing returns, so there's not much point in doing unprofitable things that serves few people. This means you can buy stuff online without guilt for not supporting local businesses.

I don't know which shops near me stock old stuff, but there certainly is a lot of skill around me. I just found a shop less than 1.5 miles from me where the mechanic seems to be in his 50s and seems to know everything. I will be bringing that place my business from now on. It is Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette St in Manhattan.

dweenk 01-21-16 04:32 PM

Urgent question:

How many balls in a Raleigh Sports head set? I must have lost a few.

dweenk 01-21-16 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18476513)
Urgent question:

Never mind. I found the little suckers. Nothing here to see, move on, move on. Mind the gap.

bmthom.gis 01-21-16 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18476465)
They have the prerogative to run their businesses as they see fit. With inexpensive stuff, there is a point of diminishing returns, so there's not much point in doing unprofitable things that serves few people. This means you can buy stuff online without guilt for not supporting local businesses.

I don't know which shops near me stock old stuff, but there certainly is a lot of skill around me. I just found a shop less than 1.5 miles from me where the mechanic seems to be in his 50s and seems to know everything. I will be bringing that place my business from now on. It is Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette St in Manhattan.

Thats good! After my shop closed down, I still have felt homeless without it when it comes to bike needs. Anyway, this isn't the complain about bike shops thread, this is the for the love of English 3 speed thread!
As I was futzing this morning, I realized all of the bolts attaching my fenders were loose. Now it run nice and quiet. I might have fallen in love with that bike again

Narhay 01-21-16 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18476648)
Never mind. I found the little suckers. Nothing here to see, move on, move on. Mind the gap.

25 top and 25 bottom 5/32"

gster 01-21-16 08:59 PM

Urgent question:

gster 01-21-16 09:24 PM

Urgent question:

Was there a prize?

gna 01-21-16 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18476648)

Lucky. I almost always lose a few.

BigChief 01-22-16 04:29 AM

I always have spare ball bearings handy when I work on my Raleighs. Funny how they can hit the floor and bounce into some parallel universe.
25 5/32" for each head tube cup and 10 1/4" for each BB cup.

Bicyclz 01-22-16 10:21 AM

I do believe this is a 'generic' design of the period.
There are several French makers with this design of frame & parts.
Brits call it 'Badge Engineering': )

Bicyclz 01-22-16 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18464081)
Love the chain guard.

The chain-guard needs the bolt heads painting, but it is very nice to my eye. I'm looking for decals currently & the space in the guard is a prime spot for one!
Moulton had a similar design in UK, but the French seem to like these better!
There is a current trend in UK for French machines, & if you want something different (if a little quirky) they are great: )
I just love this one.

Bicyclz 01-22-16 11:42 AM

I could have used the outer for further on this one, but decided to use the 'redundant' braze-ons for now.
The braze-ons are designed for the original Cyclo derailler so I experiment with this one.
Works well like this, & I retain the option to revert to original if I choose.
Sounds logical to me: )

ascherer 01-22-16 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18476465)
I just found a shop less than 1.5 miles from me where the mechanic seems to be in his 50s and seems to know everything. I will be bringing that place my business from now on. It is Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette St in Manhattan.

Dreads? His name's Hal. He's something else.