Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

Velo Vol 07-22-21 05:31 AM

The lawn is nice and green for mowing today. :bday:

The West is trying to kill us. :notamused:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0317b6e1ac.png

Trsnrtr 07-22-21 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22152241)
I read the obituary of a peer, in the paper today.

Always sad. :(

indyfabz 07-22-21 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22151968)
Welp, hopefully it's a warm rain.

Missed most of the city, but a neighboring county got hit hard.

seedsbelize 07-22-21 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22152707)
New bottom bracket arrived! :bday:

Im at work for two more days. :notamused:

New furniture arrived!:bday:

Arrived broken, wrong color, and way bigger than described. :notamused:

The furniture or the bottom bracket? I have one of the latter waiting at my daughter's house. I'll pick it up later today.

ls01 07-22-21 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22151446)
Do you know what a group of crows is called?

A Murder

ls01 07-22-21 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22151783)
Looks like Tennessee is the alternate universe.

That explains the smell....

Mojo31 07-22-21 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22152707)
New bottom bracket arrived! :bday:

Im at work for two more days. :notamused:

New furniture arrived!:bday:

Arrived broken, wrong color, and way bigger than described. :notamused:

Reminds me of the time we built a house in 2000. When it was done, we hired a "decorator" to help us furnish it. After getting her recommendations for family room furniture, I just couldn't see how it would all fit. I outlined each piece with masking tape on the floor of the room, and found that if we had bought it all it would have extended about 10' onto the back patio.

That was the last time we paid for a "decorator."

ls01 07-22-21 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22152764)
A Murder

Compliments of Steven King..

Sometimes I forget how far behind I am.

LesterOfPuppets 07-22-21 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22152602)
It's bigger, so the runner doesn't tangle with the defender.

Well now, that hardly seems sporting does it?

LesterOfPuppets 07-22-21 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22152785)
Reminds me of the time we built a house in 2000. When it was done, we hired a "decorator" to help us furnish it. After getting her recommendations for family room furniture, I just couldn't see how it would all fit. I outlined each piece with masking tape on the floor of the room, and found that if we had bought it all it would have extended about 10' onto the back patio.

That was the last time we paid for a "decorator."

Next time insist on a practical skills test in Tetris.

LesterOfPuppets 07-22-21 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22152741)
The furniture or the bottom bracket? I have one of the latter waiting at my daughter's house. I'll pick it up later today.

I should repack the BB, HS, and hubs on the Legnano. They all seem smooth, but who knows what evil lurks inside...

LesterOfPuppets 07-22-21 07:20 AM

Wasn't there a creaky door at the beginning of the Shadow? Maybe that was another show.

Mojo31 07-22-21 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22152797)
Next time insist on a practical skills test in Tetris.

I just stay away from "experts" who don't have any expertise.

BillyD 07-22-21 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22151704)
Yes, I see mocking birds attacking crows from time to time. Also the cats (when they were around).

Very bad behaviour by our Tennessee state bird. :(

Very appropriate behavior from my POV. Drive out the threats, duh.

indyfabz 07-22-21 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22152709)
The West is trying to kill us. :notamused:

"The west is the best."

indyfabz 07-22-21 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22152818)
Very appropriate behavior from my POV. Drive out the threats, duh.

The black-billed magpies we encountered riding out west were often really aggressive. (Not my photo.)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...a%29%2C_UK.jpg

ksryder 07-22-21 07:35 AM

NBD: Otso Waheela C. Unfortunately I'm probably going to get kicked off of Instagram because I didn't take any pictures of it brand new and shiny before I got gravel dust all over it. LBS called me at about 4:30 to tell me it was ready; I raced across town and got it set up in time to catch my friends' ride at 6.

2 rides in and I'm a fan. Very compliant and just soaks up the road. Planted and stable on the loose gravel descents. The second picture the tuning chip--Otso's adjustable dropout system, you can move it forward for more technical riding. I doubt I ever do that but I guess it's nice to have. I decided to try the Pirelli Centurato Gravel H tires, 45mm, because I wanted something wider and what limited user feedback I could find on them said they were fast. So far so good but who knows how much of that is new bike watts?

Went with GRX 600 because I was worried about supply issues. Seems pretty solid so far and that clutched derailleur is doing its job with mitigating the chain slap. Went with a 2x crank because I didn't want to sacrifice the range on either end and Ekar was not in the budget. Also installed my Redshift Shockstop stem that I've had for a couple years. Rounded out with King titanium cages and the Outvi Possm tool roll that I've been using forever. The WTB saddle that the bike shipped with seems to agree with me so far. Using some Issi pedals because they're red :-)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edc511c4ec.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb3cb20757.jpg

datlas 07-22-21 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22152823)
"The west is the best."

"Mother, I want to...."

indyfabz 07-22-21 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22152842)
"Mother, I want to...."

Family forum! Reported!

"Do we need a two-and-a-half hour movie about the Doors? No, we don't. I can sum it up for you in five seconds, OK. I'm drunk. I'm nobody. I'm drunk. I'm famous. I'm drunk. I'm ******* dead. There's the whole movie, OK?"--Denis Leary

BillyD 07-22-21 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22152363)
Going to visit family for first time in 2 years and I get poison ivy. More steroids!

FML

Me hate poison ivy. I have eluded same so far this year.

BillyD 07-22-21 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22152442)

That BS don’t work. PI laughs at OTC stuff.

ksryder 07-22-21 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22152850)
Family forum! Reported!

"Do we need a two-and-a-half hour movie about the Doors? No, we don't. I can sum it up for you in five seconds, OK. I'm drunk. I'm nobody. I'm drunk. I'm famous. I'm drunk. I'm ******* dead. There's the whole movie, OK?"--Denis Leary

Coincidentally I just saw that my local indie movie theater will be showing Val, which is apparently a self-made documentary over the last 40 years of Val Kilmer. I can't decide if this is brilliant or astoundingly self-indulgent or both.

I remember that period in the 90s when he was an A-lister and then... he just wasn't. Also The Doors seemed really powerful and meaningful when I was a teenager and then I got older and realized it was just silly af. Kind of like The Doors themselves.

big john 07-22-21 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22152874)
That BS don’t work. PI laughs at OTC stuff.

Around here it's poison oak. I had it bad several times as a ute and had very light cases as an adult until one time in my 50s where I trudged through it when the trail I was on ended. Got it pretty bad that time and the Poison Ivy Scrub was like a miracle. Instant relief and the rash dried up quickly. ymmv.

big john 07-22-21 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 22152876)
Coincidentally I just saw that my local indie movie theater will be showing Val, which is apparently a self-made documentary over the last 40 years of Val Kilmer. I can't decide if this is brilliant or astoundingly self-indulgent or both.

I remember that period in the 90s when he was an A-lister and then... he just wasn't. Also The Doors seemed really powerful and meaningful when I was a teenager and then I got older and realized it was just silly af. Kind of like The Doors themselves.

I liked The Doors when they came out, 1966, maybe? One of my sisters had the album. Decades later, after hearing L.A. Woman and their other hits tens of thousands of times I would be fine with never hearing them again.
That said, I still enjoy some of their deep cuts occasionally.

MoAlpha 07-22-21 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22152889)
Around here it's poison oak. I had it bad several times as a ute and had very light cases as an adult until one time in my 50s where I trudged through it when the trail I was on ended. Got it pretty bad that time and the Poison Ivy Scrub was like a miracle. Instant relief and the rash dried up quickly. ymmv.

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22152901)
I liked The Doors when they came out, 1966, maybe? One of my sisters had the album. Decades later, after hearing L.A. Woman and their other hits tens of thousands of times I would be fine with never hearing them again.
That said, I still enjoy some of their deep cuts occasionally.
The Doors - The Crystal Ship (2006 Remastered) - YouTube

I associate both poison oak and The Doors with early sexual milestones. ;)